Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 AM
GKANG GKANG is a male United Kingdom GKANG is offline

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: J/RPG, General Gaming.
View Posts: 9,284
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
^Give me a link to a Mother 3 playlist, and I'll try to come up with a better response. I still don't think that one GBA game can surpass a massive series such as Legend of Zelda in terms of music, though I'll try not to be biased.
actually, last night i was listening to the Mother 3 OST (about 200 songs, some are just essentially SFX, though.)

here: Youtube - Playlist: Mother 3 Soundtrack
__________________
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
| General Gaming: POST. | XBL: SUPERMU7ANT |
ファイナルファンタジーVIII |

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 AM
fratey Sweden fratey is offline
Angry Lenin

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
View Posts: 8,854
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZantDarksage View Post
>_< i've edited the intro post a little. calm down on the attacking, i know the songs aren't made up entirely from five single notes. I did study music theory for 3 years ,__,".
But only the songs that use the Ocarina basically have five notes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZantDarksage View Post
anyway, i still only like zelda music because.. it's zelda. Some of the temple music is very bland, like the first temple in MM.
Oh come on, it's supposed to be atmospheric and ambient, not a full-blown cascade. You can download remixes and orchestrations for that.
Or, you could try the songs that are supposed to be songs - all 4 (except for Stone Tower, probably) are mostly melodic background ambience.

Sorry if I feel a bit harsh, I just think you are putting up the wrong points if you want to argument against the zelda OST.
__________________
おはようございます!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
GKANG GKANG is a male United Kingdom GKANG is offline

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: J/RPG, General Gaming.
View Posts: 9,284
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by frate View Post
Sorry if I feel a bit harsh, I just think you are putting up the wrong points if you want to argument against the zelda OST.
well it's not that i'm arguing against it on purpose, i'm just defending mother since it doesn't have nearly as much to combat zelda music (quantity wise).

maybe a fairer compaison would have been

"Music: Zelda (< GBA) vs Mother (< GBA)".

edit: i've redone the first post ^_^
__________________
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
| General Gaming: POST. | XBL: SUPERMU7ANT |
ファイナルファンタジーVIII |

Last Edited by GKANG; 08-31-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 PM
forte Morocco forte is offline
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: space time
View Posts: 14,422
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNIS View Post
^Give me a link to a Mother 3 playlist, and I'll try to come up with a better response. I still don't think that one GBA game can surpass a massive series such as Legend of Zelda in terms of music, though I'll try not to be biased.
Zelda music isn't as great as people like yourself make it out to be. Zelda's music is kk. And that's it, there's nothing fantastic about it.
__________________
IGN - Maeby | FC - 5215 1135 7950

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Durga Durga is offline
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pekopon
View Posts: 9,614
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Mother and Zelda's music pale in comparison to to the music from Mega Man, though. So why try comparing the two when there is better music from other series'?
__________________

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:20 PM
GKANG GKANG is a male United Kingdom GKANG is offline

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: J/RPG, General Gaming.
View Posts: 9,284
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

^^ just the sub-genre. it would be interesting to compare that to something like the f-zero series or something similar.
__________________
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
| General Gaming: POST. | XBL: SUPERMU7ANT |
ファイナルファンタジーVIII |

Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:29 PM
forte Morocco forte is offline
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: space time
View Posts: 14,422
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
Mother and Zelda's music pale in comparison to to the music from Mega Man, though. So why try comparing the two when there is better music from other series'?
Megaman's isn't even that great. Megaman's music is kind of like Zelda's in the fact that both are catchy...but not that great.
__________________
IGN - Maeby | FC - 5215 1135 7950

Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Durga Durga is offline
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pekopon
View Posts: 9,614
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Megaman's isn't even that great. Megaman's music is kind of like Zelda's in the fact that both are catchy...but not that great.
I find it odd that you would say that Mega Man music isn't great when your name is Forte, aka Bass from Mega Man.
__________________

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
GKANG GKANG is a male United Kingdom GKANG is offline

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: J/RPG, General Gaming.
View Posts: 9,284
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
I find it odd that you would say that Mega Man music isn't great when your name is Forte, aka Bass from Mega Man.
this is what i was talking about. it's probably because he likes the game. i (though am growing tired of) love zelda games, but the music isn't anything outstanding.
__________________
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
| General Gaming: POST. | XBL: SUPERMU7ANT |
ファイナルファンタジーVIII |

Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 04:58 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,485
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

It's really hard to compare them. I think they're both great in their own rights. Both have a couple songs that have become favorites of mine:

EarthBound/Mother:
--Pollyanna (Vocal version)
--Fourside
--Twoson
--Eight Melodies (Mother vocal version)
--Smiles and Tears (EarthBound credits music- contains
EB's Eight Melodies)

Zelda:
--Last End
--Song of Storms
--The series main theme

I did notice about the Mother series, though:
Mother 1 and Mother 3 have great all-around music, but EarthBound/M2 seems to have great location music (towns, etc.) and other misc. music, but lacking battle themes (the only two that are notable are the boss theme and the first form of the final boss).
EDIT: Whoops, and the hippie song.

Bottom line: I can't really pick one over the other. I love them both. However, both Mother 1 and 2's Eight Melodies have probably drilled themselves deeper into my head than any Zelda song (save for maybe Last End... that's a powerful song).
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 06:56 PM
forte Morocco forte is offline
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: space time
View Posts: 14,422
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
I find it odd that you would say that Mega Man music isn't great when your name is Forte, aka Bass from Mega Man.
Hm, you caught on. Well anywho, I don't think the music is THAT amazing. It's pretty good. Like Boomer Kuwanger's Stage from Megaman X, and Dr. Wily's Stage from Megaman 2. But, It's nothing really amazing. I do like it though.
__________________
IGN - Maeby | FC - 5215 1135 7950

Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Durga Durga is offline
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pekopon
View Posts: 9,614
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Hm, you caught on. Well anywho, I don't think the music is THAT amazing. It's pretty good. Like Boomer Kuwanger's Stage from Megaman X, and Dr. Wily's Stage from Megaman 2. But, It's nothing really amazing. I do like it though.
I didn't actually think Boomer Kuwanger's theme was great, just okay. But the Mega Man series definitely has a larger amount of good games than most gaming series', with my favorite songs being Spark Man, Flame Stag, Spark Mandrill, the first Sigma fight, etc.
__________________

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 07:14 PM
forte Morocco forte is offline
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: space time
View Posts: 14,422
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
I didn't actually think Boomer Kuwanger's theme was great, just okay. But the Mega Man series definitely has a larger amount of good games than most gaming series', with my favorite songs being Spark Man, Flame Stag, Spark Mandrill, the first Sigma fight, etc.
You're a good man. Good taste in games/music.

But what I'm saying is, the music is catchy, but it's not music that...how do I put this. Listen to the Chrono Cross soundtrack, or Elder Scrolls 3/4 soundtracks. Those are games that have beautiful music. Megaman has catchy music, but...well...yeah. Not amazingly fantastic.
__________________
IGN - Maeby | FC - 5215 1135 7950

Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Bobby Emerald Bobby Emerald is a male United States Bobby Emerald is offline
There's no reason why I'm not enough.
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
View Posts: 8,251
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
It's really hard to compare them. I think they're both great in their own rights. Both have a couple songs that have become favorites of mine:

EarthBound/Mother:
--Pollyanna (Vocal version)
--Fourside
--Twoson
--Eight Melodies (Mother vocal version)
--Smiles and Tears (EarthBound credits music- contains
EB's Eight Melodies)

Zelda:
--Last End
--Song of Storms
--The series main theme

I did notice about the Mother series, though:
Mother 1 and Mother 3 have great all-around music, but EarthBound/M2 seems to have great location music (towns, etc.) and other misc. music, but lacking battle themes (the only two that are notable are the boss theme and the first form of the final boss).
EDIT: Whoops, and the hippie song.

Bottom line: I can't really pick one over the other. I love them both. However, both Mother 1 and 2's Eight Melodies have probably drilled themselves deeper into my head than any Zelda song (save for maybe Last End... that's a powerful song).

Only three battle themes? You definitely forgot one: Kraken of the Sea

....Oh yeah, and "Pokey Means Business!" also.
__________________
Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.

Be happy about progress and realize nobody is above it, ALWAYS be happy with wherever you're at and be good to yourself.
Then, simultaneously, PUSH yourself to beat the plateaus.
Quote:
Your personal level of excellence dictates your mental level of deservedness that shapes your behavior of entitlement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodd View Post
Women want equality. Therefore I would punch a woman just as hard as I would punch a man. Because I'm into feminism like that.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Durga Durga is offline
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pekopon
View Posts: 9,614
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
You're a good man. Good taste in games/music.

But what I'm saying is, the music is catchy, but it's not music that...how do I put this. Listen to the Chrono Cross soundtrack, or Elder Scrolls 3/4 soundtracks. Those are games that have beautiful music. Megaman has catchy music, but...well...yeah. Not amazingly fantastic.
I see what you mean. Mega Man music is great to listen to, but some video game soundtracks have a more epic feel, or a feel that correlates to emotional events in the game. But the Mega Man music is quite suiting, and there are some epic tunes, mostly the final boss themes.
__________________

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
forte Morocco forte is offline
destroy space lincoln
Send a message via AIM to forte Send a message via Skype™ to forte
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: space time
View Posts: 14,422
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
I see what you mean. Mega Man music is great to listen to, but some video game soundtracks have a more epic feel, or a feel that correlates to emotional events in the game. But the Mega Man music is quite suiting, and there are some epic tunes, mostly the final boss themes.
That's pretty much what I was going for. Although I can say that the original megaman games, had some of the best music of it's time.
__________________
IGN - Maeby | FC - 5215 1135 7950

Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Ocarina Master Ocarina Master is a male United States Ocarina Master is offline
Ultimate Lurker
Join Date: May 2006
Location: EST
View Posts: 418
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
Zelda:
--Last End
Holy crap, the first 15 seconds or so of that song play when you use the portals to get to old Hyrule in The Windwaker. I've never noticed that before.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,485
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Emerald View Post
Only three battle themes? You definitely forgot one: Kraken of the Sea

....Oh yeah, and "Pokey Means Business!" also.
The Kraken song is pretty simple and repetitive to me. And "Pokey Means Business!" is what I was referring to when I said "first form of the final boss". I suppose you're technically fighting Pokey and the Devil's Machine, not Giygas, but whatever. If you want real awesome Mother battle music, then there's always this, this, or this! Or perhaps this or this? Or maybe this? But let's not forget this. Mother 3 has much improved in battle music since EB.

As for what Forte's saying, I get what you mean. I do think, though, that music can be both "catchy" and "great" at the same time. I guess I'm less picky, but I like many "beautiful" songs and "catchy" songs just the same (just as long as they're actually good). By the way, if you're going for good MegaMan music, don't forget Flash Man, Wave Man, and Flame Mammoth!
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2008, 06:21 AM
GKANG GKANG is a male United Kingdom GKANG is offline

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: J/RPG, General Gaming.
View Posts: 9,284
Re: Music: Zelda Series vs Mother Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
It's really hard to compare them. I think they're both great in their own rights. Both have a couple songs that have become favorites of mine:

EarthBound/Mother:
--Pollyanna (Vocal version)
--Fourside
--Twoson
--Eight Melodies (Mother vocal version)
--Smiles and Tears (EarthBound credits music- contains
EB's Eight Melodies)

Zelda:
--Last End
--Song of Storms
--The series main theme

I did notice about the Mother series, though:
Mother 1 and Mother 3 have great all-around music, but EarthBound/M2 seems to have great location music (towns, etc.) and other misc. music, but lacking battle themes (the only two that are notable are the boss theme and the first form of the final boss).
EDIT: Whoops, and the hippie song.

Bottom line: I can't really pick one over the other. I love them both. However, both Mother 1 and 2's Eight Melodies have probably drilled themselves deeper into my head than any Zelda song (save for maybe Last End... that's a powerful song).
thanks for this, i might stick this in the top post ^_^. Also, this version of "I Love You" which didn't make it into Brawl.

YouTube - Because I Love You Super Smash Bros.Brawl Lost Music
__________________
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
| General Gaming: POST. | XBL: SUPERMU7ANT |
ファイナルファンタジーVIII |

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comparison, earthbound, mother, music, series, zelda


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -