Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 34
Re: Favorite RPG game

I loved golden sun as soon as i started playing it. same with final fantasy IX. go Zidane! W00T!
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,693

I was so excited to learn today that my friend is going to lend me her PS2.

I owned a PS1 that I got from a freind long ago and I had a couple Medal of Honor Games, Grand Turismo, Siphon Filter, Chocobo Racing. I sold it and my N64 to get a GC.

Now I can FINALLY play some Final Fantasy games. All I've ever played was Final Fantasy 1 & 2 (Dawn of Souls (GBA)).

Any other MUST PLAY PS2 RPG's ?
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 06:27 AM
-
View Posts: 8,230

Dragon Quest VIII
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm not aware of my ways, but I'm willing to learn.
View Posts: 3,634

I'm taking Golden Sun out of my favorites, and replacing it with Paper Mario: TTYD. After playing TTYD, Golden Sun really shows how weak it is...

I'm playing Super Mario RPG right now, and while the gameplay feels really outdated compaired to TTYD, I'm still having a blast with the game! The characters, boss battles, and the story are all very memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
Final Fantasy X. Final Fantasy X.
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 AM
~
View Posts: 3,389

Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. They're 2 of my favourite games ever. I love the battle system for each of them, and the dialogue and jokes are excellent.
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post

PS1
Alundra
Arc the Lad Collection
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire III & IV
Chrono Cross
Dragon Quest VII [Released in NA as 'Dragon Warrior VII']
Final Fantasy Origins [FFI & II]
Final Fantasy Chronicles [FFIV & Chrono Trigger]
Final Fantasy Anthology [FFV & VI]
Final Fantasy VII-IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Grandia
The Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar II: Eternal Blue Complete
Parasite Eve I & II
SaGa Frontier I & II
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Suikoden I & II
Tactics Ogre
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia [Released in NA as 'Tales of Destiny II']
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts I & II
Vanguard Bandits
Wild ARMs I & II
Xenogears

PS2
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Dark Cloud I & II
Disgaea I & II
Dragon Quest VIII
Dual Hearts
Final Fantasy X-XII
Grandia II & III
Grandia Xtreme
Growlanser Generations
.hack//Vol. 1-4
.hack//GU Vol. 1-3
Kingdom Hearts I & II
Legaia 2: Duel Saga
La Pucelle: Tactics
Phantom Brave
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Romancing SaGa
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
Suikoden III-V
Tales of the Abyss
Wild ARMs Alter Code: F
Wild ARMs III-V
Xenosaga Episodes I-III
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,693

^ Thanks for the suggestions. I definatly look those up.

I'm for sure going to play FFX and FFX2 and it seems she doesn't use the PS2 at all so hopefully I'll get to keep it for a long while so I can play alot of RPG's (which is the main reason I would play a PS in the first place)
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699

Quote:
I just picked up Etrian used and really like it even though I've barely gotten anywhere yet. Shades of Phantasy Star, Wizardry, and some other things in its playstyle. I'm a sucker for games that center around exploration and discovery.
yeah It's a fun game. I'm on...the 6th floor of the labrynth I beleive. It's alot of fun, although a bit lacking in story, but I don't mind that too much. I also like that you get to map it out instead of the map just apearing as you move to it, like in other dungeon crawlers. The only other dungeon crawlers or games similar to this that I have played would be, eye of the beholder for gba, which was good, swords and serpants, for the NES which had the crappiest combat sytem I've ever seen, and double dungeon, which isn't really much fun unless your playing with another person. Maybe I will check out "Wizardy" what system is it for? DS?

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, that Orcs and Elves is another REALLY good dungeon crawler. The only difference is that it's not turn based, it's combat is similar to that of oblivion, first person prospective. They also have a crappier version of orces and elves available for cell phones, but I would suggest you get the beefier DS version if you decide to get the game.

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
sitting strong
View Posts: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzaga View Post
Chill. I was only playing. But, common knowledge or not, it is more interesting to read Ocarina of Time and Knights of the Old Republic instead OoT or KotOR. This is a forum after all, you have the time to spell it out.
It's cool. Sorry if I sounded like an ass about it. Point taken, but I still reserve my right to be lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldask8r View Post
yeah It's a fun game. I'm on...the 6th floor of the labrynth I beleive. It's alot of fun, although a bit lacking in story, but I don't mind that too much. I also like that you get to map it out instead of the map just apearing as you move to it, like in other dungeon crawlers. The only other dungeon crawlers or games similar to this that I have played would be, eye of the beholder for gba, which was good, swords and serpants, for the NES which had the crappiest combat sytem I've ever seen, and double dungeon, which isn't really much fun unless your playing with another person. Maybe I will check out "Wizardy" what system is it for? DS?
Supposedly there's more of a story as you get near the end of the game, but since I'm only on the third floor, I can't confirm that. It makes sense, though; it seems like the type of game where the story can't be told until you start finding pieces of it yourself.

Wizardry is an old series of games for the PC. It's fairly well-known by most fans of the genre and seems well-liked overall. There was a recent addition on the PS2, but I know absolutely nothing about its quality or availability. I did glance at GameFAQs and the people who reviewed it seem to think quite highly of it.
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Tastes like happy.
View Posts: 197

My top 5(in no particular order):

1:Golden Sun
2:Golden Sun: The Lost Age
3:Super Paper Mario
4:Super Mario RPG
5:The Pokemon games

Nintendog31 the level 31 Arcanine!
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 3

Without a doubt, Chrono Cross is the best game I have ever played in my life. I loved legend of zelda alot, but Chrono Cross was just absolutely amazing. If you haven't played chrono cross, you haven't played a good RPG game. Simple as that
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 AM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal.

One Hundred new and creative pokemon, an extremely large overworld with so much to do, and a very, very deep combat system makes it so awesome.
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal.

One Hundred new and creative pokemon, an extremely large overworld with so much to do, and a very, very deep combat system makes it so awesome.
Quoted for Truth. Quoted for Win.

Johto is my most favorite, and I have been unable to replicate such a wonderful experience since. :/

???

#74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 01:39 AM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

So have any significant improvements been made to the Pokemon series over the years? I played the first ones when they first came out, but even back then I thought they played like outdated 8-bit NES RPGs, which was forgivable because that's essentially what the Game Boy was made for. But then I played a GBA one several years later, and it still felt like Dragon Quest I with a variation on Dragon Quest V's monster taming system.

Have they changed since, or are they still virtually the same? I always see people praising them and I can't tell if it's because they're actually good or if it has something to do with the lack of RPGs on Nintendo platforms. Or is it just nostalgic, old-school fun?
  #75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 01:58 AM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slime View Post
So have any significant improvements been made to the Pokemon series over the years? I played the first ones when they first came out, but even back then I thought they played like outdated 8-bit NES RPGs, which was forgivable because that's essentially what the Game Boy was made for. But then I played a GBA one several years later, and it still felt like Dragon Quest I with a variation on Dragon Quest V's monster taming system.

Have they changed since, or are they still virtually the same? I always see people praising them and I can't tell if it's because they're actually good or if it has something to do with the lack of RPGs on Nintendo platforms. Or is it just nostalgic, old-school fun?
Not only have they remained virtually unchanged, they're basically identical. In fact, the only things they've incorporated since G/S/C are abilities. Everything else only gives you a little bit more information (such as personality traits. Not new, just more informative towards Deviation Values, which if you use at all, you suck), or is insignificant. Believe me it's only gotten worse. But Gold/Silver and crystal stand today as my favorite RPG. Period.

I don't touch any of the Final Fantasy, Dragonquest, Paper Mario, or any/all japanese trash. Now let me go don my Fireproof suit real quick here. Open the floodgates.
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 AM
sitting strong
View Posts: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slime View Post

Well, the series has been improved and refined with each new installment, but not in the way that many people want or expect. Game Freak seems to pay more attention to the battle system and multiplayer elements; they mostly choose to add more strategic depth, fix game balance, implement online play, and stuff like that. Nostalgia might contribute something to the games' charm, but the real meat lies outside the main game itself.

The basic premise of the RPG portion is essentially the same. There's slightly more of a plot each time, but it's still nothing special. If you're primarily looking for a game with memorable characters and an epic storyline, Pokemon isn't going to deliver.

My stance: I personally think they're great games, but I also think they fall way short as traditional RPGs. Whether or not you'll like them depends on what you want out of them.
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 AM
-
View Posts: 8,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't touch any of the Final Fantasy, Dragonquest, Paper Mario, or any/all japanese trash. Now let me go don my Fireproof suit real quick here. Open the floodgates.
Thats fine, you play your watered down RPG designed for 5 year olds and we'll play the good stuff. =]

Btw, Pokemon is a Japanese game too. -_-;
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Yeah, but not Japanese trash as Andy specifically pointed out.

(Not that I'm agreeing with that statement)

???

#79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM
You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him.
View Posts: 1,090

Ah, RPGs... My favorite gaming genre.
As some of you know, well I'm sure not most of you know. but I've said many times on ther other threads about RPGs being my favorite genre.
Lets see... there's so many.

1. Any square game, especially all the final fantasies. (I like 7, but I don't see what's so "great" about it. It got a movie I think that's why people like it.)

2. Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia: AMAZING GAME! It's on the PS2, and it's kinda old, but seriously... it's got a great story line, very unique "dive system". Also there's no MP restrictions except for the Ravytales which it regenerates (they sing to cast spells... how cool?)

3. Any tales games, I've only played 2, but I can just assume the rest are just as great!

4. Folklore: Great storyline it mixes murder, mystery and fantasy all in one. Great charcters too

There's more, but I can't think right now.

“To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe”
--Jerry Garcia
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Anouki
Send a message via Yahoo to L3155
View Posts: 30

1. Final Fantasy VI

2. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

3. Final Fantasy II

4. Final Fantasy IV

People tell me that my personality is divided. I don't think so, but maybe it is.

Tags
favorite, game, rpg