Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966
Re: Pokemon: Out of Ideas??

The show is of course dead, but the games are pretty good. Ignore the fact that what you just caught looked like a beaver with down syndrome (bidoof), and you get a pretty good game.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Wii U ID: WoodwindsRock 3DS ID: 1032-1351-5240
View Posts: 2,903

Yes, they are running out of creativity. It's quite obvious, but the games are still fun themselves. Or at least I think so. (though GSC where the peak of the series IMO.)

Diamond and Pearl have apparently sold a lot, and Nintendo is a business. They will do what will get them money.

------

#23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Fox Only
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainTMS
View Posts: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Saibot View Post
The Sinnoh starters are pretty cool, but Johto and Hoenn starters were, once again, absolute f-cking crap.
I'm sure if you actually played the games you'd think differently.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

The Pokemon franchise has been out of ideas since it started. Every installment basically consists of the same core NES-quality RPG with either updated graphics or more Pokemon to collect. It can be fun, sure, but the fact that people are only realising that it's a simple, stale, over-done franchise devoid of integrity now is astounding. I figured that out almost 10 years ago when people were calling Pokemon Yellow the best game ever for god-knows-what reason.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Hiroshi Yamauchi. Former president of Nintendo. Rest in peace.
Send a message via Yahoo to Chad
View Posts: 9,410

I'm a big fan of pokemon. It's one of Nintendo's best RPG games. There are too many pokemon, though. I'm happy for the steel and dark types. I'm thinking with all these alien pokemon, they may make alien types.

They have too many of one kind, though. Like too many of a pure type, or too many of a dual type. You know what I mean?

They could have a pure type of all 17 types. Then have a dual type for each, except those that wouldn't work like water/fire and ground/electric. We don't need twenty pure electric or normal types.

Also, they have far far too many legendaries. Sinnoh brought what, eight or so? One per region is fine. That's part of what made them cool. Now they're becoming like normal pokemon. There are a lot of them, a few have genders, and manaphy can hatch from an egg.

Breeding was very cool. Making physical and special attacks for each type was cool. Making a hundred new pokemon for each generation isn't nesseccary.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........TWW-PH-ST-(LoZ-AoL)-(OoX)-TMC-FS-FSA-ALttP-LA-(OoX)-(LoZ-AoL)
OoT<.............................................. \____________________/
.........MM-TP
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Fox Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphnes View Post
Also, they have far far too many legendaries. Sinnoh brought what, eight or so? One per region is fine. That's part of what made them cool. Now they're becoming like normal pokemon. There are a lot of them, a few have genders, and manaphy can hatch from an egg.
Fourteen, actually.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699

you know what I just realized? every pokemon game is the exact same f-cking thing! catch em all! battle a gym leader, stop teamrocket, and beat the elite 4! pokemon just disgusts me now. I went to this summer camp and there was this kid there named jack. the Whole program is to do recreational activities, like ultimate frisbee, go to six flags, go paintballing, go bowling, etc. There was this kid there that played nothing but pokemon! He was playing pokemon diamond, and Me and my friend brought our DS's for the bus trip to six flags, so were like, hey, you got any good multiplayer games like metroid prime or something that we could play multiplayer with? and he told me the only game he owns is pokemon and the only reason he bought his DS was for the game itself. The whole time I was there, I don't think I ever saw his face without his pokemon games in front of it. HE HAD 111 HOURS OF GAMETIME! WHAT THE ****?!?!?!?!?!? seriously. this is the reason pokemon survives. Somehow, some poeple see past the bland storyline, boring gameplay with boring 1 on 1 battles and play these games. Seriously, you can only learn 4 attacks, and only battle with 1 pokemon at time. Even the origanal final fantasy thats over 20 years old had more apeal than that. 4 characters at a time, over 50 attacks for each character, I mean c'mon. how the hell did this game survive this long?!?!?!?!

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is a male Chile ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is offline
Never bet for Ridley.
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,628

WHAAAT!?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!?!??!? ARE YOU JUST REALIZING THAT?!?! all pokemon versions are the same, you start and just moved into the town, you go to professor wathever house to choose fire water or grass pokemon, then you meet your rival wich choose the type wich is strongest agains yours, then you go to next city, buy some pokeballs, catch pokemons, defeat gyms to be able to use attack in the overworld, you learn them in the same order in all versions, meet an evil team wich want to do evil things, then you get to the league and defeat the four guys to be the best trainer, always two versions, only certain type of pokemon in certain versions, some time later there appear a third version wich is a mix of the two, each new version has 100 more pokemon than the last one, that is the only difference, oh and a new region.

EDIT: this says all that have to be said
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 PM

First off, indent. Second, everyone who plays pokemon knows it's the same game four times over, with different maps and pokemon. That doesn't matter, since they bring new things with each generation.

The second generation brought two new types, and breeding. The third generation brought contests. The fourth generation divided each attack type between physical and special, instead of having all water attacks be special and so forth.

Pokemon is a shining example of using the same basic formula, with a few new additions, and still being successful. They don't change the forumla, they just add to it, and it has worked.

......................................../`````````````````````````````````````````\
.........MM-TP
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Fox Only

@zeldask8r- Dude, I have over 200 hours on my Diamond. Does that make me retarded or something? No. I just happen to find it quite fun.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Sword View Post
@zeldask8r- Dude, I have over 200 hours on my Diamond. Does that make me retarded or something? No. I just happen to find it quite fun.
And that's another thing. Proper training takes time. Pokemon is the only game I can think of where you can be playing hundreds of hours after you beat it. It isn't even about beating the elite four, it's about building an excellent team.

.........MM-TP
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Is an audioslave
View Posts: 2,699

Quote:
EDIT: this says all that have to be said
LOL! thats one of the funniest pokemon rants I've ever read. Thank you for supplying me with my daily dose of uncontrolable laughter. seriously thanks dude. lol. pokemon sucks!

You know that crazy kid on your bus that laughs at random moments because he's thinking about something funny that happened yesterday? Yeah, that's me
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Fox Only

@ Daphnes-I know. With EV training and all that, it can be a very long process.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
sitting strong
View Posts: 409

People have been saying that Pokemon was a dying fad ever since 1st gen. =P

If the Pokemon games were strictly single player with the only additions each generation being new places and Pokemon, all this criticism would have more merit. And to be fair, a lot of people do buy the games for just that, but the games have far more depth than the basic desciptions that have been given.

Pokemon is an incredibly complex strategy game hiding inside an admittedly shallow (albeit fun) RPG. It also has an inherent social factor built in as the games are designed specifically for multiplayer interaction. The Pokemon games can be valued in several different ways, and a big part of their success lies in how the series is essentially be whatever you want it to be. The almost limitless amount of freedom and customization you're granted when forming your party certainly plays a role too.

As for running out of ideas, I've found the newer Pokemon to be more creative and inspired than the originals, with 3rd gen having the best designs overall. It all comes down to personal preference, really.

The series has been seriously whored out though; I won't argue with that. The countless spinoffs range from mediocre to trash, and Fire Red/Leaf Green were completely unnecessary.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,504

Its not getting old. Its just that some people get older and grow out of it. These new Sinnoh Pokemon aren't as good as the first but the game Diamond/Pearl is still good. I enjoyed it just as much as Sapphire and Silver.
Nintendo just needs to do something else with the games like putting two regions again like Gold/Silver did. Or all of them.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Jewbonic Plague
View Posts: 2,331

to me it died after the original 150 but i still played gold none the less
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Sword View Post
I'm sure if you actually played the games you'd think differently.
I have. They suck.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I like a good Bomb.
Send a message via AIM to Necco Send a message via Skype™ to Necco
Steam ID: ach hee
View Posts: 3,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Saibot View Post
I have. They suck.
Could you please stop trying to be cool by trying to ruin topics. You're really failing at being a troll. You're more like a gnome or something like that. If you don't have anything constructive to say about the topic, then leave it alone.

Thanks.

If pokemon can last this long and still be incredibly popular, maybe not so much as when it first started, then they must be doing something right. I personally like the series and I'm sure to have a copy of each generation.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
The epitome of awesome.
Send a message via AIM to Legender Send a message via Yahoo to Legender Send a message via Skype™ to Legender
View Posts: 4,043

Wow, I've seen this a million times now. 8D

Original: Very good and creative.
Gen2: Still nice.
Gen3: Some are... Odd...
Gen4: Hell, they're all bad. Turtwig is Bulbasaur the second.

I mean, really. More eeveelutions? Evolutions for Misdreavus, Electabuzz, and Magmar? Geeze, what next, Mewthree? Need I say more...?

EDIT: D/P isn't the end. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness Expidition or something is going to the DS in Japan soon. That means another MD game for the US. Which I don't mind, it's a nice change, despite the crappy Pokémon from the 4th gen.

EDIT AGAIN:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldask8r0990
Seriously, you can only learn 4 attacks, and only battle with 1 pokemon at time. Even the origanal final fantasy thats over 20 years old had more apeal than that. 4 characters at a time, over 50 attacks for each character, I mean c'mon. how the hell did this game survive this long?!?!?!?!
Actually, two Pokémon at a time sometimes. 8D

And if it seems like I have no clue who's side I'm on... I play the games because the challenge. I don't mind bad Pokémon, I'll play it anyways.

Last Edited by Legender; 09-10-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-10-2007, 04:48 PM

I loved Misdreavus and Electabuzz. They are my favorites of their respective types, and I don't get why people would bash evolutions of these guys. Rhydon too.

What do you people want do see stronger versions of, anyway?

And turtwig being bulbasaur the second? I don't think so. It's highest evolution being part ground instead of poison, and all.

.........MM-TP

Tags
ideas, pokemon