Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
View Posts: 7,608
I Bring You...A NEW MODE IN NSMB

If you haven't heard...
Source
Quote:
Thought you’d done all there was to do with New Super Mario Bros? You rocked Bowser Jr’s face off, collected all the Star Coins, and figured you were the cat’s pajamas? Think again, young whipper snappers. Until you’ve played New Super Mario Bros’ recently discovered Challenge Mode, you’re just a weird kid wearing your mom’s kitten-patterned nightie.

Gamers who’ve already finished the game will be able to access this secret Challenge Mode by hitting Start in the world map and pushing the following combination of buttons during the Start Menu:

L R L R X X Y Y

So what sort of obstacles does the game set against you for this challenge mode? Tougher enemies and tighter level design? A white, disembodied head that doesn’t just chase you in the game, but stares at you from outside your window while you sleep at night? Having to beat a castle while your mother bangs on your bedroom door, yelling at you to give back her nightgown?

Unfortunately, it’s nothing too fancy like the examples above. Challenge Mode puts a forced scroll on all the levels just like with the original Super Mario Bros. game. Players will no longer be able to backtrack, picking up coins and power-ups that were left behind.

With new secrets being found almost two months after the game’s release, who knows what other mysteries are still waiting to be found. Hot Koopa Troopa Mod?
I'm about to go off and try it myself. It'll be just enough to freshen up the game. I had a really strong feeling that something like this was going to happen; Some secret mode that would only be discovered months after the intial release. I just wonder what other secrets might be incluided? I've still got my fingers crossed for Star Road.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,585
Re: I Bring You...A NEW MODE IN NSMB

Hmm, I don't know how to get it to work, I have the code set, the challenge is on but the levels don't seem to be working. I really like how after all this time, you can still find something new in this game.

Edit: I just figured out what I was doing wrong, I was expecting the levels to move along with me like in those underwater worlds, but what actually happens is that you just can't turn back, you can still go at your own pace though. I geuss it's an OK mode but I played alot of the game without turning back so I don't know....interesting? ya, will it make me play through all the levels again? I doubt it.
Last Edited by jehuty; 07-06-2006 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehuty
Edit: I just figured out what I was doing wrong, I was expecting the levels to move along with me like in those underwater worlds, but what actually happens is that you just can't turn back, you can still go at your own pace though. I geuss it's an OK mode but I played alot of the game without turning back so I don't know....interesting? ya, will it make me play through all the levels again? I doubt it.
I understood it the same way. That would have made things different. The way it is now, I kind of feel like it should have been an option from the beginning or something.

But has anyone tried beating the final level in this new mode yet? I wonder if you get a special ending. I was thinking that the usual "Press L+R" for Luigi code at the end of the game might change to something new with this new mode.

I bet there's other ones though. Something like a secret Mushroom House, or a "Play as Pixalated Mario" mode. I've also got my finger's crossed for some "Lost Levels".
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,110

You can't play the final level in that mode; there's too much backtracking. The little arrow on the touch screen will turn gray if the mode doesn't work with that level.

I tried it out. It was kind of interesting, but not all that challenging when you think about it. It was just kind of annoying, basically. Interesting find, though. I wonder if the game holds any other secrets.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Tab.
Send a message via AIM to Scoria
View Posts: 8,251

Do I need to have gotten all the star coins and unlocked everything, such as all paths?
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,476

Ugh. I've always hated that restriction. Why would anyone enable this feature? Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck. How it would enhance the fun is beyond me.

I'll pass.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 AM
The World is Yours!!!
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimbob

View Posts: 5,033

When i finish NSMB, i'll give this a try and see if it works. For now, if it works good find

Facebook : Twitter
Formally known as Jimez
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Guardian Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoria
Do I need to have gotten all the star coins and unlocked everything, such as all paths?
Not sure. I don't see why you'd need to have all the star coins, but it's possible that you'll have to unlock all the levels. They want you to be able to exit a level if you trap yourself, and you can only exit levels after you've already beaten them. I only have three-star files right now, so I can't really try it. I'm pretty sure you have to beat the game before it works, but I don't know about the other two stars.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylian Lemon
Not sure. I don't see why you'd need to have all the star coins, but it's possible that you'll have to unlock all the levels. They want you to be able to exit a level if you trap yourself, and you can only exit levels after you've already beaten them. I only have three-star files right now, so I can't really try it. I'm pretty sure you have to beat the game before it works, but I don't know about the other two stars.
There are more than 3 Stars? Well I'll be darned.

And that's too bad about the final level. It is enabled with a red arrow and everything. Huh.

Edit: Nevermind. I could have sworn last night the final level had the arrow.
Last Edited by Mr. Wonderful; 07-07-2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Guardian Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
There are more than 3 Stars? Well I'll be darned.

And that's too bad about the final level. It is enabled with a red arrow and everything. Huh.
I never said there were more than 3 stars.

The final level doesn't have a red arrow on my game.

Tags
bring, mode, nsmb, youa