Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Patrick Stewart > Morgan Freeman
View Posts: 318
Re: To Sony Fanboys: PS3 Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotiris
I want you to tell us when Nintenso did it.(I'm not saying it didn't I just want to know.)
I also want you to explain why this, once gimmick to Sony, was copied by it.
You know those little lights on the Revolution controller that indicate which player you are? That was on the Xbox 360 controller first. Buit in rumble? Without the PSP, there would be no DS. They saw the PSP as competition for the Gameboy and said, "Let's make a 'third pillar' or our products, and came up with the DS.

And, I don't think you are mad at Sony, just jealous becuase the PS3 has it all now. Not only that, but at last E3, Sony said that the controller on display was not final. They said that before anyone knew about the Wii remote.
Last Edited by Carlitos; 05-09-2006 at 08:35 PM. Reason:
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Playing a song on my ocarina
View Posts: 429

PS3 has it all for the "too cheap" price of $600.

Sorry, I find the whole motion thing funny, but I still can't get over that price.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2006, 08:21 PM
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
View Posts: 2,489

Think about it. The only PS3 games that can even use the motion sensor are either flying or driving. I'm happy about this copying thing. It will never take off with Sony; few games will use it constantly. Most games for PS3 will just ignore it.

Sony set up their own demise.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
View Posts: 7,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Storm
Best post so far!

That's a damn fact that Nintendo had ripped off others. Companies rip each other off just to stay in the game of business! Check out The Gamecube's controller, does it looks very simular to the Playstation 1 and 2 controller? The rumble pack? Pfft, Sony never ripped that off, in fact, they improve the rumble pack by creating a controller with a two rumbles built it! Now, you couldn't waste money on rumble packs and batteries for the PS1 controller, while you had to dish out $20-30 just for one rumble pack for the Nintendo 64 controller, not to mention you need $5.00 for batteries.

Guess what? Nintendo ripped that idea as well by putting a rumble in the Gamecube controller! How "original"!

Nothing is original in life, people! You have to copy, emulate, or use someone eles ideas to live from time to time.
Thank god that there are other sensible people like you in this seething fanboy forum.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
This.
Send a message via Yahoo to Earth
View Posts: 2,489

Everybody who is stating that game companies have been ripping each other off, and this rip-off makes no difference because they have been doing it for years; let me tell you the truth: True, your point is strong, but has bad examples. Rumble Paks, Analog sticks, etc. These have been copied, but this is nothing that compares to motion sensitivity. Someone copies a joystick, fine. This motion sensitivity thing is HUGE, though. It isn't something that one compares to the copy of an analog stick.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 PM
ZU fighting game guru.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerboi
View Posts: 5,061

Seriouly guys, there's no denying the reason sony revamped the controller.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Watch your Rear!
View Posts: 1,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitos
You know those little lights on the Revolution controller that indicate which player you are? That was on the Xbox 360 controller first. Buit in rumble? Without the PSP, there would be no DS. They saw the PSP as competition for the Gameboy and said, "Let's make a 'third pillar' or our products, and came up with the DS.

And, I don't think you are mad at Sony, just jealous becuase the PS3 has it all now. Not only that, but at last E3, Sony said that the controller on display was not final. They said that before anyone knew about the Wii remote.
Without the PSP there would be no DS???That makes no sense...If there was an analog on DS and the DS was stronger and had multimedia functions with one screen than it would be valid...The DS as Nintendo says repeatedly so many FRIGGIN times is not in competetion with DS!!!They are totally different!

Quote:
And, I don't think you are mad at Sony, just jealous becuase the PS3 has it all now.
So you're saying its alright for Sony to copy Nintendo??I know Nintendo did not create motion sensing but its obvious the control came into play "AFTER" the Wii-mote...

Quote:
Post by TigerBoi-Seriouly guys, there's no denying the reason sony revamped the controller.
Tigerboi remains to be the only reasonable person on this forum...

YOU can not!MUST not CLICK on THIS!
Signature made by HisBrother.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 AM
Posting is a craft i take very seriously
Send a message via AIM to Kuden
View Posts: 3,547

Ha. Sony have done themselves in. All respect I had for sony I had is now gone.

Shame.

I really wanted to play kingdom hearts...but then again, that was made by square-enix wasn't it...?

Seriously, copying this has just made sony the most unoriginal game console producers to walk this earth, and I'm not joking.

Your fire makes it all worthwhile.
[Tumblr/Last.fm/Formspring/Twitter]
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 AM
Watch your Rear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayolorin
Ha. Sony have done themselves in. All respect I had for sony I had is now gone.
Shame.
Like any of us did anyway!

Quote:
I really wanted to play kingdom hearts...but then again, that was made by square-enix wasn't it...?
Wow I never actually though about that!

Sony has gone too far...They also failed to show us negative feedback..Their press conference was also lacking audience excitement and numbers....

#30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 04:07 AM
ZU fighting game guru.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerboi
View Posts: 5,061

By the way, altough the original controller was never said to be final, keep in mind that Incognito didn't know about this fucntion A MONTH AGO.

I've stood up for Sony in the past, but this is just too much.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Thorny Devil
View Posts: 1,377

I've heard and read a lot on Nintendo marketing strategies and they really seem to have a genuine desire to expand the realm of gaming, to be innovative. This attempt by sony to emulate Nintendo's technology is clearly not in the same spirit.

While I agree a lot of copying goes on, there are times when you just have to look at a company's motives and say "this is an embaressment." This is one of those times. Sony saw people getting jazzed about the Wii controller and they wanted a piece of the pie. Still, I don't know why I'm surprised, everyone expected it.

Command your people; climb the mountains
Their peaks shall become the shore
The darkness will be defeated
But Hyrule will be no more

#32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 05:56 AM
If you're out here why do I miss you so much
Send a message via AIM to lefty Send a message via Skype™ to lefty
Steam ID: lftenjamin
View Posts: 6,265

I'm angry yah. But it is business. Do we all yell at all for making a bleach after clorex made bleach (Or something like that you get my point).

There is the orignal, then the cheap knockoffs. Wiimote orignal. PS3 6 degrees of freedom, cheap knockoff. People right away will see the difference.

Liek someone else said too, Sony probably won't even use the motion thing that much, they just wanted to sound innovative. Well its obvious they don't.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
View Posts: 7,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBrother
Without the PSP there would be no DS???That makes no sense...
It makes perfect sense. The only reason Nintendo released the DS was to combat the PSP, which they knew they couldn't compete with using only a GBA. Nintendo then did a quick (but very nice, I might add.) rush job of improving the GBA Nitro extension into a full fledged system.

So you see, if there was no PSP, Nintendo wouldn't have to make a new console to combat it.

That is what actually happened, down to fact. You aren't gonna want to argue again, are you?
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 AM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,399

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipman
Well said! You managed to convert me!

I was just about to put that banner in my sig!

EDIT: Plus, motion sensing technology for Rev is just a copy of the mouse taken into the third dimension.
Yes, and videogames as a whole are just rip-offs of television, and television is a rip-off of theatre, and theatre is a rip-off of real life.

Your logic on that is flawed.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Watch your Rear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
It makes perfect sense. The only reason Nintendo released the DS was to combat the PSP, which they knew they couldn't compete with using only a GBA. Nintendo then did a quick (but very nice, I might add.) rush job of improving the GBA Nitro extension into a full fledged system.

So you see, if there was no PSP, Nintendo wouldn't have to make a new console to combat it.

That is what actually happened, down to fact. You aren't gonna want to argue again, are you?
So what you're trying to say...After Game and Watch, Gameboy, Colour Gameboy, Gameboy pocket, Gameboy colour,Gameboy Advance that Nintendo would NEVER have a made another Nintendo handheld if it werent for PSP???

#36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Playing a song on my ocarina
View Posts: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBrother
So what you're trying to say...After Game and Watch, Gameboy, Colour Gameboy, Gameboy pocket, Gameboy colour,Gameboy Advance that Nintendo would NEVER have a made another Nintendo handheld if it werent for PSP???
Well, maybe not as soon (I mean, the DS came out, what, less than four years after the GBA?), and chances are it would have been another Game Boy- none of that "Third Pillar" business.

I'm not saying the DS is bad, nor am I saying that Nintendo never would have done it eventually... but I think the point is that if the PSP didn't exist right now, neither would the DS.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Something witty
View Posts: 1,641

I'm slightly annoyed at this, but not too annoyed. I mean, sure, they knocked it off, but I'll be laughing when all those PS2 buyers are struggling with the clumsy tilt sensor, and I'm chopping up Moblins simply by moving my controller, no buttons being pressed. Although, because of Nintendo's image, and how popular PS3 is, everyone will think it's original anyway. And we'll be having more arguments like this in the future, as to who copied who on motion sensing.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Descendant of Villainy
Send a message via ICQ to Polychrome Send a message via AIM to Polychrome Send a message via Yahoo to Polychrome
View Posts: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn
I've heard and read a lot on Nintendo marketing strategies and they really seem to have a genuine desire to expand the realm of gaming, to be innovative. This attempt by sony to emulate Nintendo's technology is clearly not in the same spirit.

While I agree a lot of copying goes on, there are times when you just have to look at a company's motives and say "this is an embaressment." This is one of those times. Sony saw people getting jazzed about the Wii controller and they wanted a piece of the pie. Still, I don't know why I'm surprised, everyone expected it.
Yes, honestly, we all expected it, though it was still a shock to see it.

If you think about it, everyone had the same reaction. Shocked, but at the same time, not surprised. It's very weird.

I think the reactions from the other two companies really show how little they think of Sony at this point. I know Microsoft pretty much rolled their eyes, since they'd produced a similar controller for PC eons ago, but they also recognized how obvious it was that Sony was picking on Nintendo. Nintendo shrugged Sony off completely. Call me crazy, but I think Sony does deserve to be written off after that blatant attempt.

(Nice Live Action Sailor Moon sig there by the way. That lady was nuts...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky of Kokiri
Well, maybe not as soon (I mean, the DS came out, what, less than four years after the GBA?), and chances are it would have been another Game Boy- none of that "Third Pillar" business.

I'm not saying the DS is bad, nor am I saying that Nintendo never would have done it eventually... but I think the point is that if the PSP didn't exist right now, neither would the DS.
Not quite true, as there was already a booming game market for both Palm and Pocket PC/Windows Mobile. So digitizer games have been around for quite awhile. The Tapwave, which was Palm based, attempted to go after a gameboy market, but failed since people preferred the regular PDAs, which didn't have fancy GPUs, but did have enough power to render pretty much anything on that small screen. Doesn't require a supercomputer to render 3D on that little thing.

Nintendo pretty much added an extra feature in the second screen, which does relieve *some* hassle of going through menus and such. I would prefer it had more PDA functions though. What's the point of the calendar if you can't take notes on it? That said, Animal Crossing does add some PDA features...if a bit game-ey.
Last Edited by Polychrome; 05-10-2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason:
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Razorblade Salvation.
Send a message via AIM to The Four Sword
View Posts: 2,334

Yes folks, it is true. Every single company has copied the other (including Nintendo), but that's just the way of business. Nothing you can do about it. Ever heard the term "biting"? Biting is a slang word for someone who copies somone else's idea. Well if you don't bite, you don't eat, you don't eat, you starve to death.

-TFS
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,982

Of course, while the DS was actually innovative in many ways, the PSP was just a "PlayStation Portable", as the name implied.

Tags
controller, fanboys, ps3, sony