Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 07:04 AM
goes to the mayor
View Posts: 5,430
Re: First Nintendo Revolution Screens!

Well, I always knew that the revo was special, that nintendo and some third party developers will give us something special, but I never thought it would be to the upteenth degree.

These screens look amazing, perhaps this is only because nintendo hasn't been all that fond of brilliant and sharp graphics being used for the revo. Graphical capability was downplayed, and perhaps this strategy really worked out for nintendo, make us expect less so anything and everything looks great.

Sure, Redsteel looks nice, but it really doesn't compare to PS3 or Xbox 360 in terms of detail content, but! alas, ubisoft has managed to pull a lot of special effects to make the game look like it would be next generation while still using gen. 1.5 software (amazingly fun!)

One thing that I love about this game, that actually was able to shut up alot of my microsoft loving friends was that one screen in which the gun is held in a very "gangsta" like gesture, while the actual player is holding the controller to the side. This is something never seen before, anda feature (full immerision) that could possible make Red Steel the true next generation FPS.
98% of the teen population is cool, 2% aren't
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Goron
View Posts: 154

Looks good, but definately miles behind 360 or PS3. Not to mention they are probably touched up.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,585

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacumgod
Well, I always knew that the revo was special, that nintendo and some third party developers will give us something special, but I never thought it would be to the upteenth degree.

These screens look amazing, perhaps this is only because nintendo hasn't been all that fond of brilliant and sharp graphics being used for the revo. Graphical capability was downplayed, and perhaps this strategy really worked out for nintendo, make us expect less so anything and everything looks great.

Sure, Redsteel looks nice, but it really doesn't compare to PS3 or Xbox 360 in terms of detail content, but! alas, ubisoft has managed to pull a lot of special effects to make the game look like it would be next generation while still using gen. 1.5 software (amazingly fun!)

One thing that I love about this game, that actually was able to shut up alot of my microsoft loving friends was that one screen in which the gun is held in a very "gangsta" like gesture, while the actual player is holding the controller to the side. This is something never seen before, anda feature (full immerision) that could possible make Red Steel the true next generation FPS.
That part also occured to me as well, it got alot of impressed looks from my casual gamer friends. While the graphics aren't Xbox 360/PS3 like, they look more like current mid graphics PC games and I am happy with that. I also checked my calender a little while ago and realized that E3 is now less than a month away, there may be more tidbits trickeling out before the big bang. The gameplay mechanics are really the parts that are making me interested, I've always loved how in the Metal Gear Solid Sereis, you could get through pretty much all of the game by just attacking your enemies with an M9 (tranqualizer). This game seems to go to the route of sparing lives as well, and it may very well be the launch game I purchase.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Fallacy
View Posts: 747

"-Revolution works by placing a small sensor bar either above or below any TV"

I don't like that, first of all it might not work in my room because my TV is right on the edge of the desk. Unless you can put it on top your TV, but I have my center speaker there. And then, it just doesn't seem practical to have some "wand" on top of your TV. (Or on the floor)
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Patrick Stewart > Morgan Freeman
View Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerboi
If you own a ps2 and a GC, the GC version of RE4 is pretty much obselete to you.
The GC version was only barely better when it came to visuals. In order for one to actually notice a difference, you had to look for the difference.

It's basically the same as the differences between the N64 and Ps1 versions of Re2. The n64 version was the clear winner because of it's extra content.
That's what I meant. Except Nitcel said he was happy to hear the PS2 version wasn't as good looking, even though it was only a minor difference and the PS2 version has more content. Then fanboys say they don't care about graphics and prefer gameplay. Fanboys=hypocrites.

With this screen, I'm convinced that FPSes can be done on the Revolution, but what about other genres?
Last Edited by Carlitos; 04-09-2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Nictel For M0derator '10

View Posts: 4,794

I meant when the news came out first, that the said they have difficulties of course it is only minor and if you can choose between the two you should definitely go for the ps2 one because of the extra content. It made me happy because it silenced the PS2 fanboys who bash GC because of the kind of graphics it uses and that they say that GC isn't capable of good graphics.

I prefer gameplay over graphics but doesn't everybody? if a game is unplayable but looks brilliant then people still won't rate it high. Graphics are important they make the came look pretty and let it tell the story better.

Also the sensor thing doesn't sound very appealing, I remember the horrors I had with the Nintendo Scope. While they surely would have improved the device still it doesn't sound very good.

Thanks Cambria!
Dutch? Belgique? Grand Duchy of Luxembourg? Join the Low Countries!
Last Edited by Icky; 04-09-2006 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Patrick Stewart > Morgan Freeman
View Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictel
I meant when the news came out first, that the said they have difficulties of course it is only minor and if you can choose between the two you should definitely go for the ps2 one because of the extra content.
Okay, so how does a difficulty make you happy? If they have trouble making the game, how does that make anyone happy?
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 03:52 PM
10 years is here!!
View Posts: 12,327

I really hope this that game can feature you playing against bots in a Multiplayer mode. I can imagine that being a blast with the controller possibilties.

As far as other genres go for Revo, I don't think it'd be a great hassle. I honestly can't expect every single game to use the controller so originally like Red Steel does. I think that most of the titles will have you moving your character with the analog end, and just pressing the correct buttons on the REmote as you aim it at the TV. Even third-person shooters could have your character have a laser-pointer, and the way it moves is based on how you move the controller. Or maybe there'd be a lock-on system by using the controller, who knows.
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Mr. Wonderful Mr. Wonderful is a male United States Mr. Wonderful is offline
There is blood on my hands. How long till it lies on my heart?
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wonderful
View Posts: 7,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirren
As far as other genres go for Revo, I don't think it'd be a great hassle. I honestly can't expect every single game to use the controller so originally like Red Steel does. I think that most of the titles will have you moving your character with the analog end, and just pressing the correct buttons on the REmote as you aim it at the TV. Even third-person shooters could have your character have a laser-pointer, and the way it moves is based on how you move the controller. Or maybe there'd be a lock-on system by using the controller, who knows.
Definately.

My worst fear is that too many games will go out of their way to use the remote. Sorta like the DS games do with the touch screen. Castlevania monster sealing crests, etc. are retarded. They're completely unneccessary and only added so that the game uses the new feature. The same also goes with some other games, like Resident Evil on the DS, where you use the touch screen to do things like *GASP!* open a door OMG!! Similarly, things like playing button pressing mini games with the remote and etc. are other weak excuses. Don't waste my time.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Descendant of Villainy
Send a message via ICQ to Polychrome Send a message via AIM to Polychrome Send a message via Yahoo to Polychrome
View Posts: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehuty
Nintendo also stated that they would only be going upto progressive scan and if I can get those kinds of visuals out of a 480p/i TV then I have to say...Nintendo was right, high defintion really isn't that impressive.
That pretty much blows anything Sony's ever said out of the water, doesn't it? I know that Kameo on my Xbox 360 running at standard definition on my puter's crappy old TV tuner looks much better than most of my PC's games running at 1280 x 1024 resolution.

Thing is, if the Revolution is going to stay in standard resolution, it just won't need craploads of power. Heck, they're probably only adding extra power so that the game companies can cram in a few more special effects, polygons, or shaders.

I also know that a device, such as a game console, can put out a "Widescreen NTSC" (can't think of a better word for it) image, which is basically just a different window format, which a widescreen TV will recognize. (So pretty much, anybody with HDTVs won't have to deal with grey bars or squished images if Nintendo or the game developers pull this off correctly.) Doesn't really need extra power. It's just a different screen shape. I've played games and watched DVDs like this, without using any special cables (plain 'ol composite connection) and it actually looks pretty good. Kinda surprising if you think about it...
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Hylian Knight
View Posts: 1,063

A SWORD!!?? I just read that you can use a sword!! This sound so ******ing awesome, I can't wait to do all sorts of stealth moves with it, I wonder if it's possible to take off an arm? That'd be sweet, the katana is gonna be my main weapon!
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 PM
ZU fighting game guru.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerboi
View Posts: 5,061

The one fear I still have for the REVmote is if it's fighting game friendly. Basically, will Street Fighter 2 work properly on it. Will Soul Calibur? Will Tekken?

I've tried to imagine how it would work for this genre and I just can't even begin to get a solid idea how.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Hylian Knight

That's true, but there could always be a thing on the box that says something like: "REV-SHELL REQUIRED" so that 3rd party fighters and others can play normally.
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 06:57 PM
10 years is here!!

^ If they would do that, though, I would expect them to make the Shell come with the controller. Otherwise, it'd probably piss off a lot of people who want to play the game but have to pay money for the shell, and that doesn't seem like Nintendo's style.

Personally, I've felt that the Shell would come packaged with a controller this whole time, and I hope I'm right.
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
ZU fighting game guru.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerboi
View Posts: 5,061

Doesn't seem to be nnitendo's style? DK bongos? Expansion pak? GBA cable? Having carts require a memory card? Forcing you to by accesories has Nintendo all over it. They do things like that more than any other company. But one can still hope. And I still hope it comes with the controller....or that the controller itself just works with the genre.

But, based on the price, online community and controller I think the 360 will be the fighters paradise this time. (last time it was the ps2)
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 08:34 PM
10 years is here!!

^ Oh yeah, I forgot that...

Well, what I should've said is that hopefully they're realize that doing that sucks for us, and we got pissed at them for it
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 09:02 PM
goes to the mayor
View Posts: 5,430

Nintendo, while they are in fact in love with their business model of forcing players to buy perhipherals, also know that well, it isn't a very good business model.

Some games will require a special shell, but I would assume that the knuchuku attachment and the core shell would be in the same package as the revo. Guns, bongo's, and other obscure peripherals would be sold separatly for a relativly low price tag (hopefully).
98% of the teen population is cool, 2% aren't
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Hylian Knight

Can we get on the topic of Red Steel? It sounds awesome, discuss. There are swords, and you can fully control them so that's bad ass. I wonder; will it be level based like Perfect Dark or will it be a big over world like Metal Gear Solid?
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 520

This is just a fan-made video, but they show how SCII could potentially be controller with the revmote. It'd definately be an adjustment, and obviously is a bit more tailored to an SSB-type game, but I imagine that a conventional fighting game could work that way.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Descendant of Villainy
Send a message via ICQ to Polychrome Send a message via AIM to Polychrome Send a message via Yahoo to Polychrome
View Posts: 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerboi
But, based on the price, online community and controller I think the 360 will be the fighters paradise this time. (last time it was the ps2)
Oddly enough, I think the Revolution will be the big FPS console this time.

Tags
nintendo, revolution, screens