Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 03:23 AM
I like playing on Games
View Posts: 429
Re: Nintendo left out again...

can't remeber where i heard it from but in Europe and Japan the most wanted console is the revolution
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 05:28 AM
Fab Emblem
View Posts: 12,297

Regarding console prices, they'll sink quickly. Xbox was extremely expensive the first days, but then they dramatically lowered the price. Gamecube eventually became really cheap as well (they lowered the price quite often) and PS2 probably worked the same way.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 06:52 AM
Half an eight
View Posts: 2,819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Boy
Based on Nintendo's past, I think it's safe to say the new Revo shall be cheaper then the 360 and the PS3.
And based on Nintendo's past, the games and memory cards will be way overpriced.

But I do believe there's no way Revo can win this war, because Microsoft and Sony have such large fanbases. They'll come out on second or third. But that doesn't mean Nintendo's dropping out of the console business. People will probably still buy enough consoles to keep them from going bankrupt or anything. Nintendo's employees will still get enough pay to feed their families.

And besides, Nintendo's so damn stubborn. Even if Revo sold only two copies worldwide, they'd refuse to stop making consoles because they've been doing that for two decades.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Am I the only person ____?
View Posts: 10,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk
Playstation 3 will cost about 460 bucks. Games, probably around 50 again.

460 + 50 = Over five hundred dollars, like I said.
I do believe I've read else where that games will be going up in price. Which may actually be worse than the system going up in price.

Still, where do you get the $460 figure? I doubt it will be that high.

And, who's to say that games on Revolution won't rise to $70 as well? I hope they don't, but why would a third party want to sell their game for $20 less on a different system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirren
And when I saw a US sales chart, it was doing extremley well, better than PSP.

Timing doesn't completely make it have an advantage over PSP. They're not big time, head-liner systems like PS3, Revo and 360 are, they're new handheld games, nothing huge. Even if PSP came out first, it wouldn't have been doing better than DS, because no one is racing to buy the handheld game that comes out first. DS is doing good because it's innovative, unique, original, and reasonably priced. What's the point of buying PSP when it's just another regular handheld game system with good graphics? No one wants to spend 500 bucks to get all the upgrade for small-screened handheld video game system. It's simply not worth it when all people don't have money in their asses.
Don't get me wrong. I hate PSP and think that it is possibly the stupidest system ever conceived. People always complain about 3D movement on DS. Why do they ignore the PSP? The analog nub is inprecise and uncomfortable. Do people even realize that when they buy a PSP, they are spending $100 more than they would of if they bought an Xbox? You may say they aren't comparable, but portability aside, Xbox can do everything PSP can, and then some, and it is more powerful. Considering its large size, durability issues, supposedly short battery life (though I haven't witnessed this in real life, like I have my other points), and lack of cover screen, PSP isn't even that portable anyway. PSP graphics are exaggerated as well. I saw Midnight Club, which is one of the better looking games, and it is blurrier, less detailed, and more blocky than its console counterpart. Even if they looked better, there is something about 3D on handheld systems that I just don't like.

Sony tries to pass PSP off as a device for more mature people. A hip and trendy device. It isn't. Video games are never hip or mature. As for media functions, an Ipod, or even a CD player, is more acceptable to use in public than a PSP. They are much more fashionable in my opinion. Same thing applies for Gameboy Micro. No Nintendo, it will not be a trendy device. Anyway, I'm sick of both consumers and company representatives referring to video game systems as sexy. Reggie is a big violater here. Personally, I've never been turned on by a video game machine. Yes, I know its meant figuratively, but it's annoying nonetheless, and it doesn't matter. Video games are never trendy.

Then there's the fact that PSP requires memory cards. And the load times are horrendous. Load times are a big deal to me, and they are something that Nintendo always eliminates. Even on Xbox, load times are always there. One way or another, Nintendo creates games that match, surpass, or almost match the competition, but with no load times.

So yes, I could go on. PSP is crap. I still think it will beat DS in sales in the long run. Once people get their Final Fantasy in Japan and their GTA in America, the tide will turn. Little games like Nintendogs or Adult Brain Training might be successful in the short run, but lets see how they fare against the big hitters. Anyway, the last American sales chart looked like this GBA>PSP>DS. Go figure. I don't have the exact numbers, but PSP outsold DS by about 2 to 1. GBA in turn outsold PSP about 4 to 1. I have no idea why.

Despite what you may think at this point, I am an enormous Nintendo fanboy. However, I'm done being optimistic. I see it in the real world. Nintendo is done. Magazines ignore them. Everybody at my school ignores them. And have been relegated to the back of every game store. Even so, by done, I don't mean they're going out of business. But they will never be number one again. It's funny how everybody just ignores the analysts as if they were just selected at random from a group of ignorant people. Give them credit. They are analysts, and their prediction counts more than yours.

Thanks to IGNIS for the amazing signature! NNID = Bill1989. Let's play Mario Kart!
Last Edited by Bill; 07-20-2005 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Forever breaking the fourth wall
View Posts: 1,685

Nintendo is far too profitable to be going down the road of Sega anytime soon. Still, I don't think that the price of the PS3 and XBox 360 is going to stop the fans from buying them. I'm going to be waiting about a year until I get my PS3, but I guarantee that there will be those who won't.
I think that if the Revolution is incredibly cheap by comparison and the new controller really does open up a new way of playing games, then it won't make much of difference that the Revolution is going to be the last next gen console released.
I'm being very optimistic here, but I think Revolution has a strong chance of bringing Nintendo out of the rut that it's been in since they decided to use cartriges for the N64.

Thanks to Kynnella for the sig.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Captain Eaglefort Captain Eaglefort is a male United States Captain Eaglefort is offline
Master of All I Survey
Send a message via AIM to Captain Eaglefort
View Posts: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezmok
And based on Nintendo's past, the games and memory cards will be way overpriced.
Not this time around. Since nintendo isn't supporting HD, the games will be cheaper. Sony and Microsoft are doing HD, so they will naturally be more expensive. Also, Revo is supposedly going to have onboard memory.

Change it again... I dare you. It only gets worse from here.

"You know what they say -- home is where you hang your enemy's head." ~Gogron gro-Bolmog from Oblivion.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 AM
zeldalives4ever zeldalives4ever is a female United States zeldalives4ever is offline
In our hearts and in our souls
Send a message via Yahoo to zeldalives4ever
View Posts: 279

i hoping and praying that nintendo doesnt go the way of sega. i think once revo comes out and nintendo puts out some good games like TP than people will start buying the revo more and want to buy it. i just hope nintendo knows what theyre doing bc theyve been around for such a long time id really hate to see them go bc that could mean the end of all are nintendo games mario, metroid,star fox,donkey kong, legend of zelda, etc.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I wish I could vomit blood on you... people
View Posts: 2,045

UH Nintendo will not be dropping our of console making any time soon. The company of Nintendo hasn't always made Video games/consoles they have been around for about 100 years (Or sumthin like taht) and are extermly rich.

As for PS3 and XBOX 360 beating the Revolution I think peer-pressure has a lot to do with this: The "hard" and "cool" people buy the "grown-up" consoles and say about how good they are. other people then get the consoles and like them, they never play Nintendo because it's a "kiddy" console. However my friends that have tried out the GC all think it's a good console even though they have Ps2s/xbox. So I think the same thing will probs happen in the next generation, but Nintendo will be a bigger competitor because of the retro features.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 AM
•••••••••
View Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkmastersword
Not this time around. Since nintendo isn't supporting HD, the games will be cheaper. Sony and Microsoft are doing HD, so they will naturally be more expensive. Also, Revo is supposedly going to have onboard memory.
Im not to sure about that, Nintendo said since the gamecube disk were smaller they would be cheaper but Ive never seen them for under $50 when they came out unless it was a budget game.

Nintendo is rich but they have been losing money for a while now. If they keep it up they wont be so rich anymore. I dont think nintendo is even targeting the right crowd with the rev anyways. They are targeting people who dont play video games instead of existing gamers. Im sure a couple nongamers would buy it but not enough people. I think they should target all the gamers, they should make xbox and playstation fans want to buy their system.

I dont think price will really matter with a lot of people. If they want a system bad enough they will get it. Ive been saving up for a xbox 360 for a while now because the system looks really cool and theres a lot of good games coming out on it. I really think that nintendo should have revealed the revolution at e3. I doubt that the other companies would want to steal their revolutionary thing, I dont see playstation or microsoft making a touch screen system, do you. Anyways, if nintendo would have shown it at e3 there would probably be a lot more people interested in it.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 AM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,050

Capcom's latest back-stabbing, by making the Resi franchise exclusive to PS3 and Xbox360 is also going to affect the Revolution profoundly.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
I luv teh pancake.
View Posts: 860

Is this really so surprising? Nintendo is too gentle with itself. It never pushes for anything superlative to Sony or Microsoft.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Half an eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkmastersword
Huh? You mean a hard drive? I recall reading from IGN that Revo won't have a hard drive.

And about the games: Just because they're cheaper than the competitors, doesn't mean they're not overpriced. Ehh, I think.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Huh? You mean a hard drive? I recall reading from IGN that Revo won't have a hard drive.

And about the games: Just because they're cheaper than the competitors, doesn't mean they're not overpriced. Ehh, I think.
No, HD stands for "High Definition" It will improve the graphics greatly on games, but Nintendo stated that the Revolution won't be supporting it and the PS3 and XB360 will. Nintendo's choice means that Revolution games will be both easier and cheaper to make, but they won't look as good as the PS3 and XB360 games.

#34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Half an eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Dead
No, HD stands for "High Definition" It will improve the graphics greatly on games, but Nintendo stated that the Revolution won't be supporting it and the PS3 and XB360 will. Nintendo's choice means that Revolution games will be both easier and cheaper to make, but they won't look as good as the PS3 and XB360 games.
Yeah, I know what HD means. I was talking about this:

Quote:
Q: Does Revolution have a hard drive?

A: No.
Stated here.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know what HD means. I was talking about this:

Stated here.
Sorry, my friend! I thought that you thought that HD stood for hard drive. Never mind. I will never bring you're HD definition into question again.

#36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Goron
View Posts: 286

Is it too late to change certain factors of the system, couldnt they ad HD, although I doubt they will I think they do have some time to change. With the download thing being used I doubt that the revolution will be in last place. So many people will buy it just to play the classics.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabsmasher
Is it too late to change certain factors of the system, couldnt they ad HD, although I doubt they will I think they do have some time to change. With the download thing being used I doubt that the revolution will be in last place. So many people will buy it just to play the classics.
Don't forget about the brand spanking new innovation that the Revolution's controller will be bringing. Nintendo are promising that it will be a totally new way of playing games. It's not just the download service that people will want out of the Revolution.
Although, you've got to wonder whether or not it will be enough to counter the PS3 and XB360. Nintendo's choice to exclude HD from it's games may come back to haunt them. Capcom may not be the only third party developer to pull it's game from the Rev because of this. (well, I'm convinced that's the reason Capcom isn't releasing Resi 5 on the Revolution anyway)

#38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Goron
View Posts: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Dead
Don't forget about the brand spanking new innovation that the Revolution's controller will be bringing. Nintendo are promising that it will be a totally new way of playing games. It's not just the download service that people will want out of the Revolution.
Although, you've got to wonder whether or not it will be enough to counter the PS3 and XB360. Nintendo's choice to exclude HD from it's games may come back to haunt them. Capcom may not be the only third party developer to pull it's game from the Rev because of this. (well, I'm convinced that's the reason Capcom isn't releasing Resi 5 on the Revolution anyway)
I doubt that capcom has pulled out, or at least I sure hope they havent... I dont know whats going to happen, but next gen is going to be interesting. Who will win? Clouded, The Future is....
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2005, 03:20 AM
little zombies wanna eat my brains
View Posts: 5,545

Lol Okay yoda. Sheik, my friend (or, I hope, wanna b friends?), you speak words of truth, and wisdom. As my dad always said, or atleast said once... "Whatever's on the market, atleast someone will buy it. I have no doubts whatsoever that Nintendo will have millions of people buy their system. I highly duobt they'll die out. I highly doubt they'll be in dead last. They were in it way before Sony or Microsoft were. I, like shiek, am a die hard nintendo boy, and I beleive as long as Nintendo puts something out, they'll make money. Who cares how much? They will gain profitable amounts. Who cares if there is 2 rival systems, they might not be number one, but they'll be up there with them. I hate the psp, its a f!@$# waste of money. I hate the DS too, its the same. I may be able to apply for the title "hypocrite" because I have a DS. It's because of the false promising

Nintendo claimed it would have near 500 games when DS came out. That didn't happen. They delayed the massive release untill January. Again, that didn't happen. Today, as we all know, It's june. Still, there is only 10-20 games out. They also promised up to like 50 feet away multiplayer with up to like 16 people. Then they cut that down to 4, with chat only up to 16. Then they cut down the length of interactivity to about 20 feet. And hotspot or not, the farthest possible length of being able to paly multiplayer is 20 feet. And whats more, is SSB won't be continued on DS. I'm extremely glad to hear that one of my favorite all time game series will continue in the Revo (and Zelda too! yay zelda!). Don't get me wrong, DS is pretty cool, but what they say and what they release are two different things.

What v99 said erlier, all of us here at ZU who are nintendo fans will get a Revo. That's the Nintendo rave. It hardly atracts new likings, just old Nintendo fans that have been with it for years and years and years are almost guaranteed to buy it. It just has this one group of people who pretty much will buy it. The problem lately is Nintendo isn't changing much, and people are starting to drift over to Sony and Microsoft. I guess Nintendo's trying to help this by making new stuff. But I'm as crasmasher and Ron Weasley would say "on the bandwagon." I've been with Nintendo Since I was 5, and have never strayed. Being dissapointed with GC, I got a PS2 instead and tried to follow the crowd, and hated it. PS2 didnt have many of my kind of games. it was more mature, mroe fighting, blood gore, style. There are very few games like that that I like (gta being among them). Eventualyl I was seduced into GC and back into my old habbits. Now I hardly ever touch my PS2 and I'm GC all the way.

I'm a fan of the Resi Games. I doubt that capcom will stop making for Nintendo, despite the fact that they are making for Sony and Capcom. They won't give up on Nintendo, or atleast I hope. That brings me to another good thing about Nintendo. It has several, several titles that are Nintendo-Exclusive. The obvious one being Zelda (though I have heard my friend say he's played a Zelda game for PS2. Is this true? Someone tell me more about this rumor please!). Mario, Smash bros, Metroid, Donkey kong, and Resi Evil being among them. They've adopted a few sonic games too.
Another thing that I love so incredible much about them is loading time. Sheik has said this earlier too. Very rarely will you play a Nintendo game with loading time, and even rarer is it longer than 5 seconds. All the games I've every played for PS2 have horrendous loading time. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for PS2 has (I swear to god, no exaggeration) more loading time than actual playing time!!! I cherish how Nintendo has left loading time out unlike the 2 rival companies. I don't care about its graphics, loading time sucks!

Well, there are my views. Nintendo lives on. Nintendo will live on. Nintendo rocks.
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Sharia for the UK Sharia for the UK is a male United States Sharia for the UK is offline
Hate my life, love myself
View Posts: 4,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk
We'll see who's ready to pay over five hundred dollars to get a Playstation 3 and one game when it comes out.
400$ says Sony, not 500. Stop pulling numbers from your @$$.

Tags
left, nintendo