Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Grand Inquisitor
View Posts: 3,237
Question Nintendo's new promotion betrays their "games only" approach?

Now, I remember seeing some time back that Nintendo had sponsered some music tour (Obviously as a nintendo promotion tool, well duh). So, today Im looking at the circuit city ad where I see that with your purchase of a GCN you get the Evanesence cd, Fallen. First, the irony sets in, GCN alone of the systems cannnot play any other type of media than games. Secondly, the fall line of Nintendo that they were for "games only" seems to be false. Now, Im glad that Nintendo is looking for other ways to promote their product, thats smart marketing.

But, now that we see Nintendo realizes they cant sell their console on games alone ( as evidence of consoles sales show). Of course, hearing Nintendo ever admit they were wrong, well that wont happen. But in the future, will we see the successor return to the "entertainment system" that its ancestors were named as? I personally dont care whether or not it has a dvd or cd player, but many people do. (Hey, it costs me more money, so I really could care less). Ive also realized that Nintendo has bought alot of alliances, perhaps gearing up for the next-gen?

Thanks to Captain Cornflake for the redesign, originally Pipking's.
Rules don't hurt, but mods make sure disobeying them does.|Adopted imstarbright
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 02:22 PM
I have no idea.
View Posts: 4,183
Re: Nintendo's new promotion betrays their "games only" approach?

The CD bundle is most likely an in-store sales promotion, not a nintendo thing. I guess there will be plans released for a next-gen console at E3 2004; the new console's been dubbed the "N5" since its thier 5th home console. I dont think thats its official name though...
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 02:28 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Im not sure. It (in the ad), directly connected the CD to "Nintendo's fusion tour". I think it is. There still arent nearly as many things with the Xbox, its kinda funny how many things are packaged with it.

#4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Not Perfect
Send a message via AIM to InfestedBarbarian
View Posts: 894

Have you been to EB lately, every employee has to wear Xbox T-shirts and such.

#5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 03:28 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 387

The games store I work in is extremely biased against the Cube. The company tells us it's a "kid's consoleĒ. Itís just as well that me and most of the other staff all own Cubes and are huge Nintendo fans, meaning that we tell customers the truth...........THAT IT IS A GREAT CONSOLE. That it has games for all ages just like every other console.
Actually, I've found that the PS2 is the console that gets traded in the most. Everybody seems to hate it, and it's (now) terrible graphics. But, according to Sony, it's still doing great. So, I'll not start a conspiracy theory, and just say "Ok, they must be right".
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 03:44 PM
Captain Tact
Send a message via ICQ to Dryth Send a message via AIM to Dryth
View Posts: 1,987

Sony isn't the one churning out the statistics reflecting PS2 success, jacksaddiction. The only region where it faces any competition in hardware sales is Japan, and only by the GBA SP.

There's a reason game retailers are "biased" in their console push; they're attempting to encourage strong consumer recognition by accenting the chief benefits of each console. You can and will lose sales by exhibiting personal bias, and confusing distinctive traits between consumer options. It's one of the oldest rules of retail.

Nintendo's been marketing Evanescence and the Fusion Tour heavily lately. I mean, duh. I don't think it's a matter of Nintendo betraying their vocal approach, but rather acknowledging that they need to market to remain successful. It's in marketing that Nintendo falls vastly behind the competition, which is surprising given the success they found in strong N64 marketing.

I'd say that other factors, such as connectivity-leaning and franchise soaking go more against the fundamentals of the company established during Yamauchi's reign, Yamauchi himself a vocal critic of such market-begging tactics.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 04:14 PM
Zora Warrior

Quote:
Sony isn't the one churning out the statistics reflecting PS2 success, jacksaddiction. The only region where it faces any competition in hardware sales is Japan, and only by the GBA SP.
Oh but they do. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft ALL release statistics reflecting their consoles sales (although, they are not the only ones). Sometimes, one of the companies will exagerate their success.

Quote:
There's a reason game retailers are "biased" in their console push; they're attempting to encourage strong consumer recognition by accenting the chief benefits of each console.
True, but, we are told the Cube has no strong points. When I had my first staff meeting, we were told how it was an awful console, that none of the managers (or higher staff) had one, that they think it is crap, and then had a laugh at us who owned one.
Thatís not professional, by-the-book retail, which you explained.
Its some guy's wearing suits with their heads stuck right up their rich butt's.............that LOVE the PS2.

Quote:
You can and will lose sales by exhibiting personal bias, and confusing distinctive traits between consumer options. It's one of the oldest rules of retail.
I never said I "exhibited personal bias", I explained that I tell the "truth". And, by doing so, I have sold 7 Cubes, 5 X-Box's and 1 PS2 (only because the customers child loved the Eye Toy). I explain each benefit of every console (new and retro) with an unbiased opinion. Even with unbiased opinions, a customer can distinguish between something that is over-hyped and something that is truly great.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Captain Tact

Quote:
Oh but they do. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft ALL release statistics reflecting their consoles sales (although, they are not the only ones). Sometimes, one of the companies will exagerate their success.
Well of course they all exaggerate their success. All three companies are guilty of this. However, there's no guilt in the Media Create, Famitsu, ESA, and TRSTS statistics placing the PS2 as the most popular console in at least two major demographics. I'd be happy to dig up a European source too, if you want the third major demographic.

Quote:
When I had my first staff meeting, we were told how it was an awful console, that none of the managers (or higher staff) had one, that they think it is crap, and then had a laugh at us who owned one.
Yeah, that'd be strong bias, but then the question is why you have such a broad skew between managers and salespeople?

Quote:
I explained that I tell the "truth".
It's the nature of bias that it corrupts truth. Even if you are conveying the full and accurate truth regarding console sales, realize that so long as you hold any personal bias, you can never guarantee accurate representation of the truth from your own perspective.

This is why game stores local to my own area have no bias toward hiring people with past game experience. They would rather hire people with absolutely no emotional attachment.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 04:23 PM
I lol you
View Posts: 2,538

Just look at the GameBoy. Talk about something that is truly 'great' - with minimal advertising, and the next gen. handheld coming something like ten years after the v1.0, the GameBoy has remained a staple of any 'true gamer's' collection. Granted, at its conception, parallel products at other companies didn't fare as well, so it's had a strong hold of the market for ages by simply being the only one that ever sold. When the GBA came out, devotees flocked to it - finally! But now with Sony upping the ante, Nintendo is going to have to meet them, or else they'll fall behind in the market they themselves played a big part in creating.

Hmm. I don't know if that's either here or there with what came above. I just had a few spare cents in my pocket.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Zora Warrior

Quote:
It's the nature of bias that it corrupts truth. Even if you are conveying the full and accurate truth regarding console sales, realize that so long as you hold any personal bias, you can never guarantee accurate representation of the truth from your own perspective.
So, do you not think that I like the PS2 and the X-Box ? Youíre merely guessing that I am biased towards the Cube, when I never said I was. Yes I am a Nintendo fan, that doesnít mean I am automatically going to be biased toward their console. I used the Cube as an example of how some companies have given up on the console.
I only give opinions when a customer ask something along the lines of "what's a good PS2 platformer for my 11 year old daughter", thatís when I have an opinion. If somebody wants a console, I find out specifically what they are looking for. What they want, not what I want them to have.

Quote:
Well of course they all exaggerate their success. All three companies are guilty of this. However, there's no guilt in the Media Create, Famitsu, ESA, and TRSTS statistics placing the PS2 as the most popular console in at least two major demographics. I'd be happy to dig up a European source too, if you want the third major demographic.
I was talking about "Sony's" statistics to begin with, not the media's. But by all means, if you want to look smart, then go ahead and look up a European source.

Quote:
Yeah, that'd be strong bias, but then the question is why you have such a broad skew between managers and salespeople?
There were many new salespeople (including me) in the meeting.
We were just being taught the way of the company, until the conversation turned to "who owns what consoles ?". At which point, I learned a lot about people who had a biased opinion against something to which they have not tried.
No "skew", just me being annoyed at people who wont give something a chance.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 06:38 PM
Captain Tact

Quote:
So, do you not think that I like the PS2 and the X-Box ? Youíre merely guessing that I am biased towards the Cube, when I never said I was. Yes I am a Nintendo fan, that doesnít mean I am automatically going to be biased toward their console. I used the Cube as an example of how some companies have given up on the console.
I only give opinions when a customer ask something along the lines of "what's a good PS2 platformer for my 11 year old daughter", thatís when I have an opinion. If somebody wants a console, I find out specifically what they are looking for. What they want, not what I want them to have.
My point was more general to the nature of "truth" with regard to bias. One can nurture a disjoint "truth" even through the active pursuit of unbias. In consumer retail, particularly entertainment retail, subjective perspective is inevitable. Thus the saying. There is no truth in retail.

Quote:
I was talking about "Sony's" statistics to begin with, not the media's. But by all means, if you want to look smart, then go ahead and look up a European source.
You were commenting on the general observed popularity of the PS2 compared to the claimed popularity of the PS2. Sony's own statistics have little to do with the console's sales publicity. The ICTI is one source that covers the full scope of markets in this regard (to cover Europe, heh).

Quote:
We were just being taught the way of the company, until the conversation turned to "who owns what consoles ?". At which point, I learned a lot about people who had a biased opinion against something to which they have not tried.
For clarity, stating that your co-workers were biased from the beginning may have been more appropriate. "My store is biased" suggests bias in official policy.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Grand Inquisitor

Dryth, I do agree that Nintendo needs to market.Did I make it sound like I didnt? And I agree franchise soaking and connectivity are more against what Nintendo should do.

Pipking, you glanced it, no reason to worry.

Finally, I start a topic that starts furious discusion, that is, mostly off-topic. Oh well....

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-31-2003, 09:59 PM
has Boardwalk and Parkplace, sucka.
Send a message via AIM to jonboyshewell
View Posts: 715

Simply put, Nintendo is despeate.

Not simply put, they apparently have no clue what they are doing. Lack of marketing, a lousy launch (five homemade titles and a tiny purple box that can't begin to match it's same-week launch enemy, the XBOX), and little focus on major groups (few mature games that aren't multiplatform, let alone any good).

And as far as online, here be my take. Sure, there aren't a ton of people signed up for either competing service. But it's the same thing as when people buy computers. They often will buy a computer that has three times as much power as they could begin to use, and then replace it with a new one before it is truely worn-out for their needs. Point being, people want options, not some Nintendo spokesperson speaking for them and saying "you do not need online." People can decide for themselves if they want it or not.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Zora Warrior

Quote:
My point was more general to the nature of "truth" with regard to bias. One can nurture a disjoint "truth" even through the active pursuit of unbias. In consumer retail, particularly entertainment retail, subjective perspective is inevitable. Thus the saying. There is no truth in retail.
And I will say it again, I do not give biased opinions when I am working. Subjective perspective is not inevitable. If, in the unlikely circumstances, one of my superiors is witness to me giving a biased opinion, I can be given a written warning. It is wrong to give a biased opinion in retail, and you will be punished for it.
But, the reason I do not give biased opinions, is because I am honest.
Not everybody in retail is dishonest Dryth. By saying they are, you have insulted me and EVERY other honest person that works in retail.

Quote:
For clarity, stating that your co-workers were biased from the beginning may have been more appropriate. "My store is biased" suggests bias in official policy.
Well, "for clarity", when my manager, my area manager, and a few other managers from other stores, tell all their new staff that the Cube has no strong selling points and is generally crap, I consider it as "official" as we would get.
Quote:
The company tells us it's a "kid's consoleĒ.
There, I said "the company" told us. Thatís pretty official.

Tags
approach, betrays, games only, nintendo, promotion