Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,868
Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
Researches SSF4, PC version employs extra DRM in addition to requiring a Games for Windows Live account.

/just lost a customer.
Um.... recently I went to a friend's house that had no internet. No internet connection on Steam = you can't play your games. That's DRM. GFWL lets you play games offline regardless of your connection.

GFWL is better than Steam, hands down. No point in defending people who try to cater to themselves as the ultimate, consumer-oriented PC platform and then use DRM tactics.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Sorry, but Radek is actually Lawful Awesome.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 07-13-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is a male United States Hoopy Frood is online now
F.O.E. Hunter
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yggdrasil Labyrinth
View Posts: 6,783
Re: Steam

Steam works just fine offline for me.
__________________

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,868
Re: Steam

Did you have an internet connection when you set it to offline mode? Because you can sign in offline... if you've set it to offline mode while you had an active connection. You can't start offline mode without an internet connection, which defeats the purpose of it all and it's basically DRM to boot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Sorry, but Radek is actually Lawful Awesome.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 07-13-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is online now
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Borealia
View Posts: 25,128
Re: Steam

That's not entirely true, Radek. There are quite a few games you can play offline; I spent hours on Empire: Total War and Patrician 3 (I NEED TO FIGURE THIS GAME OUT) when I moved into my new apartment but didn't have internet yet. It largely depends on the game you're playing.

In fact, I'm surprised you didn't complain about needing Steam in order to actually activate a game to play it, even if purchased offline. That's more of a problem in my opinion than being required to be online to play certain games.

BUT this isn't really the place for this argument. If you wanna continue maybe make a thread for it?
__________________


"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is a male United States Hoopy Frood is online now
F.O.E. Hunter
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yggdrasil Labyrinth
View Posts: 6,783
Re: Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
You can't start offline mode without an internet connection,
Yes, you absolutely can.


I shut down Steam, then disabled my internet. I clicked on Steam and got this message:



I clicked start in offline mode, and got this at the store page, obviously nothing since I have no active connection



My game library, obviously we can't play TF2 in any meaningful way so...



I moved to a game that I could play single player



aaaaaaaaaaaand holy ❤❤❤❤ vidya



So I don't know what to tell you other than "No, you're wrong"

edit: sorry, mike, I didn't see your post when I was making this one. D:
__________________

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
Last Edited by Hoopy Frood; 07-13-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: RobertStyx
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,868
Re: Steam

Ya... about the validity of your pictures.





Mind you, the credentials error is coming up because I unchecked the box while trying to log in under the circumstances I described earlier. I managed to get a bar on my phone and looked through a couple of links and that's what came up. If I checked the box, it would still refuse me but show a different error message.

A plethora of reasoning behind it...

Can't start Steam in Offline Mode!? - Quarter To Three Forums
Can't start Steam offline.... - Steam Users' Forums
Can't Run In Offline Mode - Steam Users' Forums
Can't run Skyrim in offline mode - The Nexus Forums
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Sorry, but Radek is actually Lawful Awesome.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 07-13-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is online now
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Borealia
View Posts: 25,128
Re: Steam

I've actually had no problem with doing it as he's described.
__________________


"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:11 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,868
Re: Steam

That's good for you. Anyway, there's a problem - just because it works for you doesn't really mean anything in the long run.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Sorry, but Radek is actually Lawful Awesome.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 07-13-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
riomhaire riomhaire is a male Ireland riomhaire is offline
Fabulous
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lost Woods, Ireland
View Posts: 1,893
Re: Steam

It's well known that Steam offline mode is unreliable but it works perfectly fine for many people.

Not all Steam games have DRM. It's up to the developer whether or not to include that feature.

Depending on the game GFWL may have separate online and offline saves. So while you might be able to play the game, you have start over from scatch again.

Steam may have faults, plut GFWL has many too. Don't ignore one entire side of the argument because it suits you.

If you really really care about DRM, you shouldn't be buying from Steam or GFWL, you should be buying from GOG.
__________________
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: RobertStyx, tallgeese
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Avalanchemike Avalanchemike is a male The Byzantine Empire Avalanchemike is online now
patron saint of subtlety
Send a message via Skype™ to Avalanchemike
Steam ID: Avalanchemike Wii U ID: AvaMike

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Borealia
View Posts: 25,128
Re: Steam

Wait, don't you store your Steam data on your computer?
__________________


"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong"
- G. K. Chesterton

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,868
Re: Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
Wait, don't you store your Steam data on your computer?
Quote:
Mind you, the credentials error is coming up because I unchecked the box while trying to log in under the circumstances I described earlier. I managed to get a bar on my phone and looked through a couple of links and that's what came up. If I checked the box, it would still refuse me but show a different error message.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Sorry, but Radek is actually Lawful Awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is a male United States Hoopy Frood is online now
F.O.E. Hunter
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yggdrasil Labyrinth
View Posts: 6,783
Re: Steam

Not sure why you're questioning the vailidity of my images. I'm honestly not going to go to the trouble of photoshopping images to defend a digital distribution service, whether I've ever had an issue with or not.

Regardless, as long as you have your account credentials saved on your PC you should be fine. Everyone I know who does that never has a problem using offline mode. ❤❤❤❤, on the plane to PAX East we were playing Super Meat Boy on my friend's laptop, no issues at all, and no in plane wifi.


It's rather unfair to imply steam is an always online drm thing when most people don't seem to have a problem playing offline games offline.
__________________

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,868
Re: Steam



Error message that would show up if I checked the box and disabled all my games from running in offline mode (you can configure them to run offline if you have an online connection, which I did immediately after I got back).

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Not sure why you're questioning the vailidity of my images. I'm honestly not going to go to the trouble of photoshopping images to defend a digital distribution service, whether I've ever had an issue with or not.
Quote:
Regardless, as long as you have your account credentials saved on your PC you should be fine. Everyone I know who does that never has a problem using offline mode. ❤❤❤❤, on the plane to PAX East we were playing Super Meat Boy on my friend's laptop, no issues at all, and no in plane wifi.
I had my credentials saved and that's what happened. I don't doubt that you have experience in these matters but I had my credentials saved, I moved to a house with no internet and I couldn't play ANY of my games, even the single player ones like Skyrim or Deus Ex.


Quote:
It's rather unfair to imply steam is an always online drm thing when most people don't seem to have a problem playing offline games offline.
Actually, I affirmed the people who said they could manage. I'm worried about me and my games. I don't care about everyone else or how they deal with always online DRM. Also please don't say "most people". It's an unsafe blanket statement.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Sorry, but Radek is actually Lawful Awesome.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 07-13-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Pietro Pietro is a male Canada Pietro is offline
Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
View Posts: 8,842
Re: Steam

I guess my preference for steam over GFWL comes down to stability. For example I bought Arkham Asylum on the PC when it came out and I still can't get it to work. On my PC the secuROM virus, GFWL and my PC just won't cooperate and I'm continuously prompted to re-download the game, so instead I just bought the 360 version.

Steam has always worked for me.

Both are forms of DRM, but one works for me and the other doesn't so obviously I'll prefer the one that works.

But I prefer no DRM (eg GOG) and am even willing to pay a little more for a DRM free version (as I did with Legend of Grimlock which I bought at 50% off rather than 60% off on steam).
Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: riomhaire, tallgeese
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
tallgeese tallgeese is offline
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
Join Date: Apr 2002
View Posts: 1,868
Re: Steam

I might just have to look into GOG. You guys make it sound good. But that's how everyone made Steam sound, too. Lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanchemike View Post
Sorry, but Radek is actually Lawful Awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is a male United States Hoopy Frood is online now
F.O.E. Hunter
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Yggdrasil Labyrinth
View Posts: 6,783
Re: Steam

GOG's only problem is that it's mostly really old games. They're rectifying that, though. It's a really good service.

Steam is, as well, but if you're looking for something that's entirely and completely devoid of any sort of DRM then GOG is what you're looking for. Steamworks is about as acceptable as DRM comes as far as I'm concerned. It's never stopped me from playing a game, whereas I had to crack my legitimately purchased copy of Fallout 3 to get around GFWL not allowing me to log in.
__________________

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: RobertStyx
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
pawptart pawptart is a male United States pawptart is offline
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
Join Date: Aug 2011
View Posts: 2,516
Re: Steam

Maybe contact customer support about it?

There's always the chance that something that shouldn't have happened did so because of a problem on your end, and if that's the case then maybe you can rectify it.
Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: RobertStyx
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Left4Cuccos Left4Cuccos is a male United States Left4Cuccos is offline
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Spoot
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Flatland, U.S.
View Posts: 869
Re: Steam

About the only time I've had trouble logging in to Steam was when I was using the online mode and my internet connection went down. I could not, as long as my internet had not come back up, restart Steam in offline mode. All other times, though, I think it's worked just fine for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Pietro Pietro is a male Canada Pietro is offline
Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
View Posts: 8,842
Re: Steam

Quote:
GOG's only problem is that it's mostly really old games. They're rectifying that, though. It's a really good service.
To be fair, it was originally intended to only have old games (and the Witcher), hence Good Old Games. I really do like what they're doing now introducing recent games that have DRM on every other platform and distribution service except for GOG, like the Telltale games, Alan Wake and Chronicles of Riddick (which had that terrible TAGES DRM and still has it on Steam). Each one of these versions is unquestionably the best PC version available. They'll never have the selection of Steam as far as new games go (and steam will never have GOG's selection as far as old games go), but they have their niche and will do just fine.
Last Edited by Pietro; 07-13-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -