Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell
Send a message via Skype™ to tlozbj
View Posts: 3,957
Re: Gamestop ripped you off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert Pony Name Here View Post
LOL an old GBA game isnt a collector's item.
Yes they are since April 13 2012. The GBA was made a collection item and by extention its games.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:20 PM
And then LLAMAS!
View Posts: 2,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlozbj View Post
Yes they are since April 13 2012. The GBA was made a collection item and by extention its games.
GameStop doesn't invest in "collector's items". They invest in games they can sell with some regularity.
1 person liked this post: RobertStyx
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

View Posts: 35,494

God, I hate Gamestop, especially when they sell used games that are only a few bucks cheaper than if you were to buy it brand new. Kinda defeats the purpose of being it used.

Play 'n Trade is where it's at. I miss that store...
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
GameStop doesn't invest in "collector's items". They invest in games they can sell with some regularity.
I'm just pointing that the GBA and games are collection items since that day.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
And then LLAMAS!
View Posts: 2,514

Quote:
I'm just pointing that the GBA and games are collection items since that day.
You can't just declare something to be a collector's item.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM

I am not I saw that in my local gamestop that since April 13 2012 the GBA was going to be a collector item
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,089

Quote:
I am not I saw that in my local gamestop that since April 13 2012 the GBA was going to be a collector item
That was just a nice way of them saying "keep your old crap, we don't want it anymore". GBAs are far from collector's items in any sense of the word.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Hooch is crazy!
View Posts: 12,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Most Gamestops I've been to employs pretentious douchebags that could care less about helping you. This isn't the case for all that I've been to of course, but it's still a problem I encounter regularly. The only time they pay me any attention is when I'm buying a new game or a console or something.
To be fair though, it's minimum wage retail, and they likely get a lot of ♣♣♣♣ from a lot of stupid costumers complaining about stuff that isn't their fault.

I generally don't have very bad experiences with employees at stores like this though.
I try to be pretty friendly and chummy, and they seem to enjoy it. So all is good here.

And as far as the whole collectors item goes... it really depends on the game. There are probably a few "collectors item" GBA games out there. Can't think of any, but I never really got into the whole GBA thing.
Don't think Pokemon, the most common hand held game in the world would count though.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM
To Life, Love and Loot.
Send a message via Skype™ to Postman
View Posts: 6,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty View Post
To be fair though, it's minimum wage retail, and they likely get a lot of ♣♣♣♣ from a lot of stupid costumers complaining about stuff that isn't their fault.
I understand that completely, but I still think I shouldn't be treated like a third class citizen because I buy a PS2 game for $6 over a PS3 game for $30.

But I am only basing this off my personal experience.

^click^
Last Edited by Postman; 07-02-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM

As far as employees treating you poorly goes, Ty did hit the nail on the head. After you work retail for awhile you just sort of only want to talk to certain people. Also, I take it a lot of people on this board are around 15 years old or so. Keep in mind that your average employee is about 25 there. They are not going to want to talk to you like your best friend for that reason alone. They will help you if you ask for it, but don't expect more then that. Also, if you frequent the store a lot and never buy something, or just buy something for ten bucks every so often, don't expect a lot of help. They've already pegged you as a window shopper and their sales are best made elsewhere.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Hooch is crazy!

Quote:
I understand that completely, but I still think I shouldn't be treated like a third class citizen because I buy a PS2 game for $6 over a PS3 game for $30.

But I am only basing this off my personal experience.
I hate seeing stuff like that happen.
Not good.

It's unavoidable. You just got to hope management is somewhat decent and gets onto stuff like that. It's disgusting.

And they don't even make commission, so it's beyond stupid when they do this.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Not good.

It's unavoidable. You just got to hope management is somewhat decent and gets onto stuff like that. It's disgusting.

They might not make commission, but their sales are still tracked. Total sales plus memberships sold. It looks bad on them for their sales average to be lowered by a six dollar purchase. It may suck to think about, but they are people too, most trying to just make some money and not get fired.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Hooch is crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scentless Apprentice View Post
They might not make commission, but their sales are still tracked. Total sales plus memberships sold. It looks bad on them for their sales average to be lowered by a six dollar purchase. It may suck to think about, but they are people too, most trying to just make some money and not get fired.
I've always tried to think more like a happy customer will come back to you. A customer who had a good experience in store is more likely to remember you. etc.

Offering good customer service, regardless of the size of the sale is going to help you in the long run.

I totally understand why some people do this, being in retail myself. But I have too much integrity to support it.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Now with secret hobo spices
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
View Posts: 8,199

Quote:
Not good.

I worked at an EB Games and while we don't work on commission if you have poor pre-order and edge card sales you get bumped to the ♣♣♣♣ shifts. So in practice its pretty much commission, just instead of money its your choice in shift that is given.

I'm not a fan of EBGames/ Gamestop, I prefer to get my games from places like best buy, Walmart and Futureshop. Because of the fact that they don't only sell games, they can afford to have better sales more often.

As for trade in value, yes it sucks, but that's the majority of their profit margin, just sell on ebay instead, no one is forcing you to take their deals, just say no thank you and be on your way. But yeah a GBA game isn't a collectors item, they don't want GBA games because they can't sell them, I actually agree with them on that.
1 person liked this post: Loveboat
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I've always tried to think more like a happy customer will come back to you. A customer who had a good experience in store is more likely to remember you. etc.

Offering good customer service, regardless of the size of the sale is going to help you in the long run.

I totally understand why some people do this, being in retail myself. But I have too much integrity to support it.
Again, most of the people posting here are in their early teens, they don't have that much money to spend. I've never seen an employee be flat out rude to anyone, despite age. But they will usually only help the younger groups if they help, because the employee knows they don't have a lot of cash.

It's the same with going into a music shop. I've heard so many people complain about poor service, but the employees know who is going to buy something and who would just be wasting their time.

I worked retail too. We were required to ask everyone if they needed help, same with gamestop. I'm always asked if I need something when I'm looking around. Just because the employees aren't chatting up a storm with you doesn't mean they're being mean or rude.

Just my opinion though.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
To Life, Love and Loot.

Quote:
I can agree with this to a certain extent, but like you said: "most trying to just make money and not get fired."

I am by no means condemning the average worker who is just trying to get paid for the day, but keep in mind that Gamestop can hire a 16 year old kid who screams on Xbox Live all day. This is where I have had most of my problems, people younger than me, or my age, that have hassled me for the game I want to buy.

Example. A while ago I was looking to buy Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition for a friend (it's essentially the same as the standard edition except you play as a female instead of a male). I found it at Gamestop and I went to purchase it. The employee working behind the counter couldn't have been older than 17, and he started to pester me about why I was buying such a "bad game" during the entire transaction.

I'm all for an employee giving his opinion, if I ask for it. This guy however, just blurted out while I was handing him my money.

I understand that this is just some kid and it means nothing to the entire chain of stores that is Gamestop, but his behavior reflects poorly on the company, therefore altering my opinion of the store differently.

^click^
2 people liked this post: Coconut Water, tlozbj
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I can agree with this to a certain extent, but like you said: "most trying to just make money and not get fired."

I am by no means condemning the average worker who is just trying to get paid for the day, but keep in mind that Gamestop can hire a 16 year old kid who screams on Xbox Live all day. This is where I have had most of my problems, people younger than me, or my age, that have hassled me for the game I want to buy.

Example. A while ago I was looking to buy Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition for a friend (it's essentially the same as the standard edition except you play as a female instead of a male). I found it at Gamestop and I went to purchase it. The employee working behind the counter couldn't have been older than 17, and he started to pester me about why I was buying such a "bad game" during the entire transaction.

I'm all for an employee giving his opinion, if I ask for it. This guy however, just blurted out while I was handing him my money.

I understand that this is just some kid and it means nothing to the entire chain of stores that is Gamestop, but his behavior reflects poorly on the company, therefore altering my opinion of the store differently.
That's when you complain to management, enough complaints will get that guy fired. And in the future he'll know to keep his mouth shut.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Hooch is crazy!

Quote:
Again, most of the people posting here are in their early teens, they don't have that much money to spend. I've never seen an employee be flat out rude to anyone, despite age. But they will usually only help the younger groups if they help, because the employee knows they don't have a lot of cash.

It's the same with going into a music shop. I've heard so many people complain about poor service, but the employees know who is going to buy something and who would just be wasting their time.

I worked retail too. We were required to ask everyone if they needed help, same with gamestop. I'm always asked if I need something when I'm looking around. Just because the employees aren't chatting up a storm with you doesn't mean they're being mean or rude.

Just my opinion though.
Oh, no no. I totally agree with you.
I just don't think it's always right.
Especially if the store is like empty, and the small sales are all that's in the store.

I think sometimes too, it's awkward or weird talking to a younger person in store like that. I'm definitely guilty of this. I feel like they think i'm pestering them or creeping them out or something, so sometimes, I will just kind of wait until they ask for help.

Just because when I was a kid, and an employee walked up to me like that, It always creeped me out and I didn't want to be bothered. Not so much now of course...
Not because they don't have cash though. The thought rarely crosses my mind.
I've actually spotted some customers a few bucks on occasion. Haha.

Quote:
Just because the employees aren't chatting up a storm with you doesn't mean they're being mean or rude.
And this a thousand times.

Quote:

Had a guy like this (not working, co-op) at my store. Really pissed me off.
That's just a kid being a kid. Childish behaviour
Probably doesn't know any better. Though at 17, you'd think he would.
Last Edited by Ty; 07-02-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM
To Life, Love and Loot.

Quote:
That's when you complain to management, enough complaints will get that guy fired. And in the future he'll know to keep his mouth shut.
Yea. I was too shy at the time to really care though. Where I'm from it's easier to just flip someone off and leave than to actually do anything about it. Not the best philosophy I know but.. roots I guess.

^click^
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Hooch is crazy!

Quote:
Yea. I was too shy at the time to really care though. Where I'm from it's easier to just flip someone off and leave than to actually do anything about it. Not the best philosophy I know but.. roots I guess.
Dude, sometimes it's not worth complaining.
Just take it, call him a dick and be done with it. Or flip him off or whatever.

Tags
♣♣♣♣ed up, gamestop, my childhood