Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Crew of Gamers Crew of Gamers is a male United States Crew of Gamers is offline
Now with 50% less cameraman
View Posts: 264
Paper Mario: Sticker Star

The new Paper Mario game is known as Paper Mario: Sticker Star, for the 3DS. If there is already a thread for this, I apologize.

I really enjoyed Thousand-Year Door, it is my favorite game of all time. Super Paper Mario was fun, but it doesn't have the same feel as the original two games in the series. I am excited about this game going back to the original format, and for what we've seen so far, it looks pretty good. The whole sticker thing is iffy with me, but I can't complain about the premise unless I've played it.

I am curious as to what all of your thoughts on this game are. Do you believe it will be the best in the series? Worst? How do you feel about it going back to a turn-based RPG format? Do you like the sticker idea?

DISCUSS

Thank you Chaos for the awesome signature!
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Mrowwwww ^_^
View Posts: 1,796
Re: Paper Mario: Sticker Star

I enjoy paper Mario, and this sticker gimmick actually looks kinda cool. That, or it'll be really frustrating. And I kinda thought turn-based combat was a staple of the series but Super Paper Mario wasn't too bad. I hope they pull the sticker-concept off well, and of they do, it will be a brilliant game.

Amazing sig by Kaylomaylo

[Facebook]
I love Nay <3
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Chief of Hyrule Police
View Posts: 402

Not sure how this is gonna be. I've played all 3 this one I'm curious. As for how it'll be I won't know till I try it. I'll judge after I play it.

Watch my Youtube videos here.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Topaz Mutiny Topaz Mutiny is a female United States Topaz Mutiny is offline
View Posts: 3,182

I've had this game pre-ordered before I even had an at-launch 3DS... so saying I'm highly anticipating this game is an understatement.

I'm really glad they're going back to the more turn-based 3D Paper Mario. The style and gameplay of Super Paper Mario rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I'm kind of worried though, because I haven't seen hide nor hair of any partners (there WAS that beta with the toad, koopa, and chain chomp, but they may have gotten rid of them since then). I hated that the Pixls (except Tippi, but she was essentially the plot point of the damn game so... I dunno. Iffy) had their initial spiel of dialog and then pretty much became items/badges. I don't want the same thing happening in Sticker Star. Tables will be flipped if it does (or worse - there ARE no partners apart from that Tippi-esque crown) happen.

So... I'm keeping a wary eye on it.
Online Games: ACNL, MK7, Pkmn X+Y, Miiverse

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 AM
If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell
Send a message via Skype™ to tlozbj
View Posts: 3,957

I've only play super paper mario in the series but i most say it was good. The sticker idea for PMSS seems pretty good. Like i said i have not play other in the series but a turned base RPG format seems good to me. The idea of using stickers to change things or completing quests so I have to say it may become the best in the series.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 AM
タイラー
View Posts: 1,897

If the sticker concept turns out to be intuitive and fun, then I think the game will be brilliant! I'm looking forward to it regardless of the stickers, because the series is going back to its turn-based RPG format - a part of what made Papet Mario what it was. If I wanted to play a Mario platformer, I'd play the main series.

Also, the paper style in 3D is going to look really cool!

Sig by スリムシェイディ
3DS FC: 1633 - 4674 - 8666
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Spirit of Mike Spirit of Mike is a male Canada Spirit of Mike is offline
Remember that song, Safety Dance?
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit of Mike

View Posts: 946

A friend mentioned that experience is only gained through helping people which I assume means the Paper Mario equivalent of quests? Don't know if this is true though, if it is I'll be a tad bit disappointed.

The sticker system looks interesting though I'm not sure how I feel about not having a standard jump and hammer ability anymore. I mean it's either going to be that if you play poor enough or make a major mistake that you can no longer do even the most basic of attacks or they're just going to swamp you with the basic stickers in which case the commands themselves should have been kept.

Still pretty excited for it but there's a few things that I'm just iffy about.

Add'er up!
Last Edited by Spirit of Mike; 07-02-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Claus
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 AM
something
View Posts: 2,419

My most anticipated game, together with Animal Crossing. I'm a huge fan of the series and I like how Sticker Star contains a lot of the same charm that made the two first games what they are. The sticker system looks somewhat promising, but I'm still in doubt whether or not it will be better. I guess only time will tell.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Chief of Hyrule Police
View Posts: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
A friend mentioned that experience is only gained through helping people which I assume means the Paper Mario equivalent of quests? Don't know if this is true though, if it is I'll be a tad bit disappointed.
We better hope Nintendo doesn't do that. If they do they may as well not have any enemies. Where did your friend get this info anyway?

Watch my Youtube videos here.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Spirit of Mike Spirit of Mike is a male Canada Spirit of Mike is offline
Remember that song, Safety Dance?
Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit of Mike

View Posts: 946

Well a quick Google search got me this - E3: New details on Paper Mario: Sticker Star -Destructoid

So there are other ways of leveling but they're to do with finding secrets and helping NPCs which is fine as an addition, I just don't see why they decided to remove experience from battles as well. Feels like fixing something that isn't broken.

Add'er up!
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
F.O.E. Hunter
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
View Posts: 6,522

It wasn't like Paper Mario has ever had "grinding" anyway. Experience actually seemed mostly pointless, as you just leveled up naturally as you played and things maintained the same basic difficulty. Things have always had more to do with how good you are at timing.

Ditching the concept won't change gameplay at all, it will just get rid of a pointless stat.
1 person liked this post: Andross

Tags
mario, paper, star, sticker