Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 340
Out of these games, which one would you recemmond?

I have Skyrim, and I'm planning to purchase Dawnguard for it, as soon as I make my Xbox live account. I'm already playing Wind Waker, but I like having more variety. Here's the thing. I'm a huge fan of RPG games. They have to be the only games I ever play. If it doesn't have RPG, then it has to have an open world like Zelda and Oblivion. This is why I enjoy games like the Grand Theft Auto Series. I play as a rogue in every RPG game that has that option. Anyway, I'm rambling..I'm thinking of these games:
Saints Row: The Third, Dragons Dogma, Batman: Arkham City

Saints Row is a little too silly for me. I have Saints Row 2, but all I love about the game is customization and terrorizing the city(Blowing things up, and causing chaos is really all I do in GTA and Saints Row). So I ignore the crude humor, and play it my own way. Most games have a tendency to include vulgar humor. A lot of people find it funny, but its just annoying to me..

I played Arkham Asylum, and I loved it. Batman has to be my favorite superhero. I absolutely loved the stealth aspect of the game. I spent quite awhile dispatching a few people in a room, just for the sake of being anonymous. The only problem I have with Arkham City is that it seems so devoid of open world. City left in ruins, no NPCs walking around, and its always night time. There seems to be little that you can do.

All I can say about Dragons Dogma is that it looks intriguing. I read about it on Wikipedia, and it seems like an amazing game. I actually lean towards that one o.O..

But I'm financially strapped as of now. I only volunteer at an animal shelter, so right now I'm not getting any income. So just one game.
Well, not financially strapped..I have quite a lot in my savings.

But it seems peculiar to walk into a Gamestop and buy three games that I've never even tried..
Last Edited by Shadow; 06-16-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason:
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Lifter Suprime

View Posts: 752
Re: |OT| General Gaming Arcadia - What should you play next?

The list you gave doesn't give much choice. Here are some better options.

Disregard everything everyone has said about the Modern Warfare saga. Buy 1,2 and 3 (1 and 2 if you only have cash for 'one' game). DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT PLAY THE MULTIPLAYER, EVAR!!! Story is good if you look into it.

Battlefield 3 is a good one, multiplayer is fun.

Assassin's creed 2-R. They are fun and have one of the best antagonists ever created. 2 is the best, hands down.

Prototype and Prototype 2 have awesome gameplay, a lot like Arkham City, only with less stealth.

Dark Souls I've heard is a good game, adventure, make your own story.

Arkham City is a great game, there are plenty of NPCs on the streets, but you're on the rooftops, so you don't interact.

[CENTER]
U MIRIN' BRAH?
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-16-2012, 11:19 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 17,939

You should play Mirror's Edge if you're interested in open world shenanigans; well, it's actually pretty limited to open worldliness in comparison to Oblivion or Fallout, but it's still pretty awesome, and there's so much open 'space', and it's just pretty cool man. It's pretty much like doing park-our in a video game. Derp.

Also, like the poster before, I would also recommend playing the Modern Warfare series for the campaign aspect, as the story is pretty neat, and perhaps even a little bit intense. I wouldn't call it jaw-droppingly good and engrossing, but as an individual who has never partook in any form of warfare, I still think it gives you a pretty realistic idea of how it is out there. Or something.

Bionic Commando is a cheap game that follows along the lines of open space aspects.
Last Edited by brokenjoker; 06-16-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason:
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 340

I hate first person shooters, but you're right about Modern Warfare and just Call of Duty in general. I loved the campaigns. Modern Warfare 2 was exceptionally good. I've always wanted to play Mirrors Edge. I used to tinker around with the demo back when I had Xbox Live.

Assassins Creed? The gameplay was a bit slow paced in the first one. But they outdid themselves with the second game. That game was absolutely amazing. I reckon I should rent Revelations again. All I did in that game was practice counter kills, and the stealth courses. I'm going to need to play those games before I get AC3. Because AC3 looks really unbelievable o.O...I seriously hope they do a great job.

Dark Souls? I read about that game in a Dragons Dogma review..It looks like something I might enjoy. It's been compared to Mass Effect (My favorite game). And I actually wanted to buy Battlefield 3, just for the multiplayer. I like games where you have to be strategic, rather then going around every corner and pulling the trigger. When I had Black Ops, I put my own spin on things by only using the knife to kill people in multiplayer. It was fun to be stealthy, waiting around every corner, dropping down from a roof to stab a passing player. And if somebody encountered me in close combat, I'd pull out the magnum and just shoot at the head.

I'll check those games out, though. It won't be long until I'm employed again..Hopefully.
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 AM
It's a ribbon!
Send a message via AIM to insaney Send a message via Skype™ to insaney
Steam ID: etherwinterrain 3DS ID: 4742 5819 4763
View Posts: 27,425

Dragon's Dogma is pretty great. The combat is fantastic. There are a few flaws, but if you can look past them, you'll have a hell of a time playing it. It's an action-RPG. The story is simple, straightforward and short, padded out by quests. The game has lots of content as well. The combat and content really shine.

And no matter what anyone, ANYONE says. Dragon's Dogma cannot be compared to Dark Souls, Skyrim, Monster Hunter, etc. They are all completely different games. Everything, from gameplay, to premise, to difficulty is different. Especially the gameplay.

Dark Souls is difficult, but you have to have patience and be observant while playing it.
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 AM
ثم هل انتم تذكرني؛ سأتذكر لك. يكون ممتنا لي
3DS ID: 3282-2755-4646
View Posts: 189

I'd say Dragon's Dogma if you like RPGs.

I prefer Arkham City, though.

If you really like RPGs I recommend Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii.
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 AM
formerly known as daeth
Steam ID: terrible
View Posts: 2,310

Arkham City is the only game I own from that list. I thought it was even better than the first one.
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM
ثم هل انتم تذكرني؛ سأتذكر لك. يكون ممتنا لي
3DS ID: 3282-2755-4646
View Posts: 189

^ Liked + Agreed.
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
"Satan sees you as a Big Mac"
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
View Posts: 8,928

I went to Walmart, picked up a copy of Civ V Gods and Kings and the cashier told me that she couldn't let me buy it because it hasn't been released yet. (I said yes it has, and if it wasn't released you shouldn't put the ❤❤❤❤ing game on the shelf). So instead I went to EB Games, bought it and made fun of Walmart with the cashiers.
1 person liked this post: Keith
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
View Posts: 1,873

Lol whoever compared Dark Souls to Mass Effect must have been high as a kite
2 people liked this post: GKANG, insaney
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Der soldat allein ist der freie mann
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
Steam ID: pzkpfw_iv
View Posts: 6,101

What does that expansion actually add? Is it much different than the generic Civ V DLC that is floating around?
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 04:48 PM
"Satan sees you as a Big Mac"
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
View Posts: 8,928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
What does that expansion actually add? Is it much different than the generic Civ V DLC that is floating around?
I started playing maybe 4 hours ago and from what I see it adds 9 civs.

Adds religion (which is much different than the Civ 4 religion as you actually create your own religion. And you can choose religious characteristics based on your needs, much better than the ridiculously overpowered Civ 4 religious system which was build religion wonder in founding city, get money, the end).

Adds religious city states

Adds spies (bringing back the ability to steal tech, which was mysteriously absent from Civ 4) and improves naval combat with melee ships, and also improves land combat by making battles take longer, rather than in the past where in many cases you can kill an enemy unit in one turn.

Adds great prophet and great admiral.

Adds 27 units

9 new wonders

New tech.

And also just tweaks here and there like new resources, the ability to build an embassy, better city state system where the states are more active in the Civ world and want to interact with you more than in the base Civ V, new music, new intro video (which is ❤❤❤❤ing beautiful.) Among a lot of other things that are just slipping my mind.

Definitely worth the 30$, Civilization expansions never disappoint me. I never feel ripped off like I do for some other franchises. A must buy for anyone who owns Civ V, it makes it that much better.
Last Edited by Pietro; 06-19-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason:
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned User
Steam ID: sircalibur
View Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadows View Post
Disregard everything everyone has said about the Modern Warfare saga. Buy 1,2 and 3 (1 and 2 if you only have cash for 'one' game). DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT PLAY THE MULTIPLAYER, EVAR!!! Story is good if you look into it.
No.

What people have been saying about the Modern Warfare franchise all this time is correct.

Not only are the modern warfare campaigns so short that they will take you only a weekend to play and finish all three with no desire to replay them, but after the first game, they phone it in, and throw all semblance of self-proclaimed "realism" out the window.

Back on topic: out of the games you've asked about, Pinkie Pie would recommend Arkham City. It is truly an excellent game, with great gameplay and voice acting all around, even if the story is at times... wonky. It's like taking a walk through Batman: The Animated Series, but with the rating dial set somewhere between Teen and Mature.
Last Edited by American Soldier; 06-19-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason:
2 people liked this post: insaney, The Doctor
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Love yourself.

View Posts: 9,295

I finally picked up Red Dead a few days ago (completely missed this) and I'm having an amazing time with it. I always kinda avoid Rockstar games because I don't really gel with them (despite them being amazing games), but I'm loving this. I'm about 9 hours in and just got up to the part where you escape with the ammunition for the gatling gun. The details are what really make the game, for example if I fail a mission for whatever reason and restart, the characters have different dialogue about the same subject while travelling to the area again. Amazing.

Last Edited by GKANG; 06-19-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: Panique
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
don't be mad cos i'm doing me better than you doing you

View Posts: 4,618

So Okami is coming to the PSN Store in HD. All I can say is ❤❤❤❤ yes. I didn't think this game could look or get any better, but HD makes it look truly stunning. Here's hoping loads of people buy it when it comes out so they make another Okami title.

Okami Coming to PlayStation 3 - IGN
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2012, 05:05 AM
don't be mad cos i'm doing me better than you doing you

View Posts: 4,618

Bump (because Okami deserves it)

Okami HD Screenshots
Last Edited by Sansa Stark; 06-22-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason:
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via AIM to Great Gibdo Send a message via Yahoo to Great Gibdo Send a message via Skype™ to Great Gibdo
View Posts: 4,818

I always thought Okami's art style was clean enough to not merit an HD remake. Interesting.
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Love yourself.

View Posts: 9,295

I'm probably not gonna buy it. I have it on Wii already, and while the controls aren't perfect I really only see this as a worthwhile purchase if you bought Move.

Just got a few of my backlog titles: Radiant Historia, Catherine (FINALLY) and Chrono Trigger. SO MUCH TO PLAY.

Last Edited by GKANG; 06-22-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason:
  #99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Therein, they're in there in their inn.
Steam ID: cereal_bawks Wii U ID: Cereal_Bawks 3DS ID: 0989-1785-1204

View Posts: 8,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie
One of the things that, on one hand, I love and, on the other hand, that troubles me tremendously about not only our fanbase but about the gaming community at large is that, whenever you share information, the perspective is, ‘Thank you, but I want more.’ ‘Thank you, but give me more.’ I mean, it is insatiable. And so for years this community has been asking, ‘Where’s Pikmin?’ ‘Where’s Pikmin?’ ‘Where’s Pikmin?’ We give them Pikmin. And then they say, ‘What else?’”

“For years, this community have said, ‘Damnit Reggie, when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game.’ So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, ‘So what’s more?’ I have heard people say, ‘You know, you’ve got these fantastic franchises, beyond what you’re doing in Smash Bros., isn’t there a way to leverage all these franchises?’ So we create Nintendo Land and they say, ‘Ho-hum, give me more.’ So it’s an interesting challenge.
He brings a good point. Just goes to show you can't please everybody.
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 PM
I have done nothing but teleport bread for three days!
Send a message via Skype™ to Keith
Steam ID: Rantick
View Posts: 7,163

But I think there's a distinct difference between a Metroid game and a game that features Samus in it. They misinterpreted what people wanted.

Luka: slam a bottle of champagne into my arse first
Closed Thread

Tags
bowser's big bust, hot dogs, mario, mario's #1!, metroid, nintendo, no one reads these, sonic, zelda