Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Coconut Water

View Posts: 35,494
Games You Love, but Everyone Else Hates

Yes, I realize this is similar to the "games everyone likes except you" thread, and I've been trying to keep myself from making a counterpart thread for the longest time. However, I feel it would still be fun to discuss the opposite of that thread. I also realize this could draw parallels with the "Games that need more love" thread, but this is focusing more on:

Is there a game you really love, but everyone else seems to hate on?

I have one:

I love this game to bits. It saw me through my high school years and beyond. I loved the music, characters, and gameplay. Sure, there were some flaws, but meh, I didn't really care. I was too busy having lots of fun. I loved how there was four different teams, three being difficulty based (Team Rose, Sonic and Dark) and one mission-based (Team Chaotix), and how they and their stories all come together at the end for the final showdown with Metal Sonic. The final boss music remains my most favorite ever:

(I was extremely disappointed that this track wasn't included in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. )

I also loved how each Team had their own theme song. They were all awesome!

And I've never understood why people hate Big the Cat so much. He's very lovable in my opinion.

But yeah, I love Sonic Heroes and it is my most favorite 3D Sonic to date, along with being one of my all time faves. But whenever I bring it up, people seem to hate on it.

I'll share some other games if this thread is allowed to continue.

------

So, how about you guys?
Last Edited by Coconut Water; 04-16-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Durgey, Justin
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM
The ZU Paladin
Send a message via AIM to Janus Send a message via Skype™ to Janus
View Posts: 6,067
Re: Games You Love, but Everyone Else Hates

Castlevania: Judgment
Yes, I hate the art design, but I enjoy the gameplay and especially seeing the Castlevania 3 characters back in action. I love the little things in it, too, such as how every character has different intro/victory dialogue depending on who they're fighting (ie, good guys are clearly sparring with other good guys, while trying to kill the bad guys).

Duke Nukem Forever
Not worth full price, but worth the $30 I paid for it. The game gets way too much flack.
Plus, the single player DLC was pretty good, if not better than the main game.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
__
View Posts: 8,485

People hate Big the Cat because he is a hunk of ♣♣♣♣ and is indicative of everything the Japanese teams did wrong with Sonic when they got the development back to them. Sonic Heroes is one of the least offensively bad 3D Sonics of that era, but that's not saying much.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for the GameCube

Okay, so people don't hate this game necessarily, but I always hear people giving it ♣♣♣♣ because it's "not a 'real' Final Fantasy" and stupid things like that.

I mean, I acknowledge there are problems with it. There are huge problems with it, the major things being how much of a pain in the ass it was to hook up everyone's GBAs to it, and how boring the single-player game is.

But you know what? When the game works-- when you can get at least one other friend and everything comes together-- this game is a lot of fun.

One of my favorite things about the game is the world they crafted for it. The story is really interesting, about a caravan being made to leave from each town to collect myrrh from a tree that prolongs the protection of their respective villages, and the whole "world covered in miasma" thing is really cool and gives the game a neat sense of claustrophobia, yet makes the characters feel really close together (since they are literally forced to always be physically close, in their party or their village).

I also really, really love the design and the music.... and everything art-wise.
I mean LOOK at this.

This game is a gorgeous GameCube game.

And the music is phenomenal.
Spoiler:  

What makes me sad is that not even the REST of the series revisits this world in the same way.
I don't think we'll ever get another CC game quite like this, with the same amazing world and the same amazing music.
Everyone harps on this game a lot, but I really love it and have a huge fondness for it and the world it created.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
rude, crude, and socially unacceptable
View Posts: 3,642

Super Mario Sunshine

Probably my favorite game of all time, in fact. Never understood why people hate on it so much.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Custom User Title
View Posts: 10,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Duke Nukem Forever
Not worth full price, but worth the $30 I paid for it. The game gets way too much flack.
Plus, the single player DLC was pretty good, if not better than the main game.
I hate it for no other reason than the fact it was actually released.

It could be the best game ever for all I care.

This game's history was magical, and they killed it the moment it was released.
Last Edited by Khao; 04-16-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: AgentNimble, Janus, Kiran the Legend
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM
*GASP* WHO STOLE MY POPTARTS?!
Send a message via Yahoo to Karaszure Send a message via Skype™ to Karaszure
View Posts: 3,688

Some of these can be rendered partially invalid, as I personally loved Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Heroes, and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Especially the music in each, it was all so phenomenally well done.

I also personally enjoyed this game.

The gameplay was fast-paced, which is what I like in a Sonic game. Sure, he ran automatically, but I feel Sega made good use of the auto-run mechanic...though I wouldn't use it again.. The music could have been better as well. Overall, I enjoyed it while I had it, but not so much as the older Sonic games.

Twitter | Soundcloud
Nintendo Network ID: Karaszure
3DS Friend Code: 3136 6671 5270
Sig by me
1 person liked this post: Claus
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 PM
UltimateLink64 UltimateLink64 is a male United States UltimateLink64 is offline
Skyloft Knight
View Posts: 158

Kirby Air Ride

I loved this game when I first played it, I still do in fact. I just don't get why some people always talk down about it.

A knight can never turn down a fight.
1 person liked this post: Claus
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Akiba White
Send a message via Skype™ to Durgey
View Posts: 244

Shadow the hedgehog
From what I can tell, people were really just annyoed by the whole multiple mission structure, glitchyness and gun/ vehicle mechanic.
I actually quite liked the mission structure, oddly enough, I liked that the ending and story altered depening on what you did to end the mission; that's how it should work. I can't stand up for the glithyness, though. I just put it down to bad scripting and production- seeing as it is a spin-off Sonic game and many Sonic games are infamous for glitchyness *cough* Sonic 2006 *cough*
And then we get to the game mechanics. Yeah, I ahve to say vehicles were unnecissary but I liked that you had the option to barge into everything, be more wreckless but I gues it wasn't entirely necissary. Then there's the guns -which oddly I thought improved the gameplay, there was more ways to take out enemies and added a new way of creating of obstacles throughout the mission.
Shadow as a charcater is pretty cool but his whle amnesia angst did get very trying. Despite this game's major problems, I still have fun running through the levels, deciding how Shadow will beat the mission, which companions he trusts the most, etc
3 people liked this post: Claus, fohlin™, Justin
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Battousai the Man Slayer
View Posts: 11,919

I know it isn't hated, more so ignored, however I found some enjoyment out of the game. Sure, the map system is not very well presented in the game, and it is not terribly long. I also loved the art style, which like most Mana games, is great. The way of recruiting party members to start missions were enjoyable, and for the time, seeing a 2D game that was an action RPG was not a regular thing, so that also was great.
3 people liked this post: Ahluk, Florina Laufeyson, Moriquendi
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
View Posts: 979

Yup. Metroid: Other M.

I liked that game and I didn't mind Samus's VA at all. The narration sucked, but that's it. The gameplay was fun, and although the whole self-destruct thing was a bit off, it didn't ruin the rest of the story for me. I don't love it, but it was a solid 8/10 IMO.

Probably a few others too but I can't thing of them at the moment.
But never will

Wolf Pack Pride
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM
<3
View Posts: 1,129

All those "collect the stars" Mario games. [ex: Super Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, etc]. Both my father and my best friend hates these games. I think they find it more of a hassle than anything. They'd just rather play through the game to the next level.

I honestly don't mind those games. It's a lot of work at times, when you struggle to get some of those stars, but in the end, you feel... accomplished ^__^

AC:NL Dream Addy: 5300-2537-8510
1 person liked this post: Coconut Water
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Now with secret hobo spices
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
View Posts: 8,198

The thing about Duke Nukem Forever was that it was exactly what Gearbox promised (what DN3D would've been if it were released today) and that's exactly what it was.

Fact is Duke Nukem was never good, the only thing it ever had going for it was its crassness, and DNF retained that quality. I liked it for what it was.

"I once convinced a woman that I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it"
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 PM
The ZU Paladin
Send a message via AIM to Janus Send a message via Skype™ to Janus
View Posts: 6,067

^Well, from what I understand, DN3D actually was pretty well designed for its day. It had full 3D environments (Doom couldn't have one room on top of another), and it had fairly believable locations to fight in. The crassness was just icing on the cake for a lot of people.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Now with secret hobo spices
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
View Posts: 8,198

Well it was technically better than Doom, but that's only because it was released a few years later so it was able to take advantage of the better tech. But if you look at Quake released in the same year or GoldenEye a year later it was pretty out of date upon release.

"I once convinced a woman that I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it"
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 PM
[Blumenkranz intensifies]
Send a message via AIM to insaney Send a message via Skype™ to insaney

View Posts: 26,996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demise View Post
Kirby Air Ride, The Legend of Dragoon, Wario Land 4, Okami... etc.
People hate Okami?

TELL ME WHO THEY ARE.

I know a rare few do.

Also, pretty much FFCC: Crystal Bearers and Final Fantasy XIII. They both have their flaws, but they're still pretty good games.
Last Edited by insaney; 04-17-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Brotagonist
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
rude, crude, and socially unacceptable
View Posts: 3,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demise View Post
Wario Land 4
"Everyone else" hates Wario Land 4? :O

I love that game. I think the only thing people don't like about it is that Wario can die, which is a lame thing to complain about.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

View Posts: 21,671

Yeees. I flucking love this game! Its so simple but so entertaining! I never understood the hate. I guess they like their Final Fantasy angsty and moody. NOT ME! I like it cheesy, not taking itself so seriously and having an adventure!!

This game is more or less forgotten now. But back in the day, a lot of people ragged on it. Yeah, the graphics arent fantastic or anything but the music was amazing.
Spoiler: Man....Nostalgia attack!  

My two favorite songs from that game. Hnnngh...

I have a lot of love for Shadowgate in general but i just LOOOVE that particular one. Objectively, it was kinda mediocre but ♣♣♣♣ the police! Theres actually a ♣♣♣♣ton of lore in this game!

THIS IS NOT AN FF7 WANNABE YOU STUPID----!!!!
This game is glorious. Sure its translation was pretty bad but looking past all that, its a pretty great story and a lot of fun!
ef hann á sér í vá veru
hitki hann veit
hvat hann skal viđ kveđa
ef hans freista firar

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ You can still PM me for the clan test!
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
2 people liked this post: Boy, Coconut Water
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Jusqu'ŕ ce qu'il n'y a rien
View Posts: 11,459

Mario Party Series.

I never really liked it.

#19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,982

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

This game. This. Game. If there's any franchise that I really, really want rebooted in a true and complete way, it's this one. Is it sad that I think this game has the best world out of all the series titles I've played? The sort of lighthearted story and art direction, as well as the soundtrack, were all fantastic as well.

The main thing I think it suffered from was being a bit TOO RPG-lite, something that's been compounded with the more recent DS installments. Take the core concept and flesh it out with an open world, and I think you'd have the most successful FF branding ever.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 AM
slurpslurpslurpslurp
View Posts: 3,205

^
I loved Crystal Chronicles! I just wonder where I could've put the disc. I miss that game so much