#122 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM
__
View Posts: 8,485
Re: Kid Icarus Uprising: General Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretendo View Post
^I don't think it's usually that price.
I dunno, I've noticed it's a trend lately for some games to be sold for quite cheap. I heard Rayman Origins will be $30 when it comes out as well.

Most 3DS games are usually $40, but sometimes retailers deviate (and it's usually awesome).
Come to think of it, I got my copy of Pilotwings Resort (new, not used) from Best Buy for $5 when they were doing a sale. It's the only reason I even have the game, because holy ♣♣♣♣ it's not worth the $40 it's supposed to be.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 04-12-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #123 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 PM
And then LLAMAS!
View Posts: 2,514

So, does Kid Icarus offer a mode for lefties?

And Circle Pad Pro doesn't count. A game should be fully functional the moment Pinkie Pie plugs it into her 3DS.
  #124 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM
__
View Posts: 8,485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
So, does Kid Icarus offer a mode for lefties?

And Circle Pad Pro doesn't count. A game should be fully functional the moment Pinkie Pie plugs it into her 3DS.
It lets you chose to control Pit with the ABXY buttons or use a touch screen "circle pad" with your right thumb. How well either of these work, I can't say. I'm not a lefty.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 04-12-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #125 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Custom User Title
View Posts: 10,599

You can also go for the "touch-less" options, move Pit with the circle pad and aim with ABXY, or another option (wich I think it's terrible) on wich you simply use the circle pad, to aim you just hold R to move the reticle.
Last Edited by Khao; 04-12-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #126 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Think different.
View Posts: 7,742

...OR

Nintendo shoulda done it right the first time and made the game with the use of dual analog sticks...

Oh wait a second... it's Nintendo.

They never get it right the first time.

- Mahatma Ghandi
Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!
Last Edited by Spidey-Man; 04-13-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #127 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Goron
View Posts: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
...OR

Nintendo shoulda done it right the first time and made the game with the use of dual analog sticks...

Oh wait a second... it's Nintendo.

They never get it right the first time.
What the hell are you talking about? Nintendo was the company which pioneered the analog revolution.

Signature made by a friend. :3
  #128 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 01:08 AM
And then LLAMAS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_LINK_IN_TIME View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Nintendo was the company which pioneered the analog revolution.
That doesn't excuse the 3DS' lack of a second analog stick.
  #129 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Goron
View Posts: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
That doesn't excuse the 3DS' lack of a second analog stick.
Yes but no handheld system before the PSP even had an analog stick to begin with so what's with the recent obsession with them on the handheld front now? The PS Vita had two analog sticks, however, their extremely awkwardly positioned and do not work well with the tiny face buttons as well as focus on the touchscreen. Games like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Resident Evil: Revelations which play better or would play better with dual analog support are still fine without (certainly won't kill you to play with the regular circle pad) and the majority of 3DS games especially the first party offerings like Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, and mario Kart 7 feel like naturally tailored fits for the 3DS as is.

Signature made by a friend. :3
5 people liked this post: Awesomecake, Labrynian Rebel, Olympion, Shinespark, Sonicnator
  #130 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Custom User Title
View Posts: 10,599

Quote:
Yes but no handheld system before the PSP even had an analog stick to begin with so what's with the recent obsession with them on the handheld front now?
No handheld system before the PSP could even handle 3D games properly, so analog sticks would have been kinda stupid.
Last Edited by Khao; 04-13-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #131 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Twili
View Posts: 419

Having grown up with N64 shooters I simply don't "get" all this talk about the inherent superiority of the dual analog setup, and even with a game like Uprising I can't really imagine preferring that setup to the stylus one (which I've long since gotten used to, and even comfortable with). I'm right handed though, and I can understand why lefties would struggle a lot more with these controls, but at least the game is generous when it comes to customization options. What I would find absolutely ideal for this game though would not be two analog sticks, but rather one analog stick + a pointer, like you'd get on the Wii. Of course, that's impossible for a handheld console like the 3DS, so I'm personally very happy with the way they ended up handling the controls.
1 person liked this post: Labrynian Rebel
  #132 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Fierce Diety Fierce Diety is a male United States Fierce Diety is offline
That's me!
View Posts: 454

Guys, the touch screen works perfectly once you get used to it! It just seems natural after 25+ hours of playing that I doubt I'd prefer dual analog sticks. And I don't think lefty controls are too bad (I was able to play the MGS3 Demo easily, and the buttons worked fine for its purpose).
  #133 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 PM
And then LLAMAS!

Quote:
Yes but no handheld system before the PSP even had an analog stick to begin with so what's with the recent obsession with them on the handheld front now? The PS Vita had two analog sticks, however, their extremely awkwardly positioned and do not work well with the tiny face buttons as well as focus on the touchscreen. Games like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Resident Evil: Revelations which play better or would play better with dual analog support are still fine without (certainly won't kill you to play with the regular circle pad) and the majority of 3DS games especially the first party offerings like Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, and mario Kart 7 feel like naturally tailored fits for the 3DS as is.
The PSP was the first system to feature an analog stick. For the purpose of being the first, it gets a free pass. But this isn't 2005. The PSP's lack of a second analog stick was lamented plenty of times by players and reviewers. Developers managed to work around it most of the time, but it was still a weakness.

Building one into the 3DS would allow for superior camera control and a bit more freedom for developers. No matter what the Circle Pad Pro offers, it's still an extra twenty bones to shell out for something that should have been included day one.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce Diety View Post
Guys, the touch screen works perfectly once you get used to it! It just seems natural after 25+ hours of playing that I doubt I'd prefer dual analog sticks. And I don't think lefty controls are too bad (I was able to play the MGS3 Demo easily, and the buttons worked fine for its purpose).
But there's still a loss of precision. If you've played any of the Metal Gear Solid games for consoles, you'll notice that aiming is much smoother in those iterations, since it doesn't require controlled tapping of the face buttons.
  #134 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Divine Might Divine Might is a male United States Divine Might is offline
Timeless
Send a message via Skype™ to Divine Might
View Posts: 507

Quote:
But there's still a loss of precision. If you've played any of the Metal Gear Solid games for consoles, you'll notice that aiming is much smoother in those iterations, since it doesn't require controlled tapping of the face buttons.
After playing the game for like 60+ hours I now think with dual analog sticks the precision would have been worse with the fast and frenetic gameplay. Can't imagine using an analog stick to aim now. The lefty controls do seem to make it a bit harder to play at a higher intensity. I'd seriously just get a circle pad pro though. It's worth it in my opinion. I want one anyway because I like the added bulk and for when monster hunter 4 comes out. xD

The only problem I can really think of that I have with Uprising is the powers menu only showing 3 and having to scroll through them if you have a lot set. It probably would have been better if they made it go across the bottom. I doubt it would get in the way.

Anyways, I have a new setup! I've been using weapons with like power attack +3/4 and mostly just using meteor shower, rocket jump, explosive flame and transparency. You use transparency and sneak up on people that are close together then use meteor and it's a sure kill or two or three!

My best score so far in free-for-all is 3025 score and 13-2 kill ratio. I've been having most games around 2000 or + scores with the setup. It's awesome!
  #135 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2012, 02:35 PM
rude, crude, and socially unacceptable
View Posts: 3,642

So I got this game a few days ago and I have mixed feelings about it. I LOVE the dialogue and writing but the gameplay just isn't my style. It's pretty much a fast-paced button-mash fest like Smash Bros and I just don't like those kinds of games. I was thinking it would be more of an adventure game like Zelda, but meh.

Touch controls are also a big no-no as always. It's made even more dificult for me because the "left-handed" option isn't very good.
Last Edited by Cuddle_Bats; 04-14-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #136 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
♥♥♥♥ing blocks. I'm gonna climb the ♥♥♥♥ outta you!
View Posts: 707

Got this game last week. Absolutely love it so far. I have a quick question though. Does anybody now where I can get more of the AR cards in the UK? Only place I've seen is on Club Nintendo, and I don't want to spend my points there, as I'm saving for something else. Kind of irritating.
  #137 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Cersei Lannister Cersei Lannister is a female Cersei Lannister is online now
More wine!

View Posts: 4,219

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertStyx View Post
Got this game last week. Absolutely love it so far. I have a quick question though. Does anybody now where I can get more of the AR cards in the UK? Only place I've seen is on Club Nintendo, and I don't want to spend my points there, as I'm saving for something else. Kind of irritating.
You can get a pack from the most recent issue (81) of ONM.

The gods have no mercy, that’s why they’re gods.
  #138 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Might View Post
The only problem I can really think of that I have with Uprising is the powers menu only showing 3 and having to scroll through them if you have a lot set. It probably would have been better if they made it go across the bottom. I doubt it would get in the way.
I personally have found a pretty decent solution to this problem, I only use 3 powers. No more and usually no less, so they all fit and are accessible to me at the same time. They also entirely fill up my power board, so there's not one single open square.
Last Edited by Brainiac252; 04-14-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #139 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Labrynian Rebel Labrynian Rebel is a male United States Labrynian Rebel is offline
A paragon of my kind
View Posts: 4,312

Dual analog has always confused the heck out of me, just doesn't feel natural to me. Guess that's what I get for growing up on the N64.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrenne
Your idea of greatness is making stuff up as you go along
  #140 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 AM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
View Posts: 281

Love it. Dialogue, characters, story, gameplay, it's all great. Just farming up weapons right now. Best I have right now is a 274 Boom Orbitars and a 269 Ninja Palm. Gotta break into the 300's still.

This game's biggest achievement is that they were able to make something more annoying than reapers.