Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM
gurl u nasty
Send a message via AIM to gsninja
Steam ID: GoldenSunNinja
View Posts: 43
Re: Kid Icarus Uprising: General Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
So by the reactions of people in this thread, the game is worth it then?
Without a doubt. The controls might seem weird at first, but you can get used to them really quickly, even without using the stand. Online's more fun than expected, the story's fairly good, and the sheer amount of content is amazing.

Also, I think I've fallen in love with Clubs now. Been using an Earthmaul Club (4.5 Range and 3 Melee) during my last few matches online and this thing is retardedly strong.
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Has returned.
Send a message via Skype™ to Shinespark
Steam ID: HylianChozo
View Posts: 2,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
So by the reactions of people in this thread, the game is worth it then?
Oh yes. It's easily the best "for the 3DS" game out right now. (Again, FOR 3DS, so not counting ports). The online isn't laggy at all, actually, I found more lag in the local multiplayer than online. The story mode is nice and humorous while being fast-paced, and the challenging levels that you can put in on are very distinct from the ones before it.

It's an excellent game in the 3DS library, if you've played Metroid Prime Hunters on the original DS then this is just like it multiplayer-wise.

...I mention multiplayer a lot because it's the main attraction in my opinion.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Segfault
View Posts: 1,814

There is lag in the online for sure, but they mask it well. People will occasionally appear to teleport, move through walls, stuff like that, but nothing that would put you at a disadvantage. It's just a little weird when you home in on a melee attack, only there's nothing there. But yeah, no drops in frame rate.

Does anyone actually know what the stars represent for the weapon rankings? Is it directly related to the damage output for the weapon? And do all weapons have the same maximum star ranking? It's hard fusing weapons, when you don't don't really know what the outcome is going to be like...
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,891

Quote:
However, Pit finds himself also dealing with a doppelganger of himself called Dark Pit.
So when does Nintendo realize that they have overused the "Dark clone" plot point? They are clearly beating the hell out of a dead horse.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM
windwackster windwackster is a male United Kingdom windwackster is offline
The Wind Waker
View Posts: 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo Jones View Post
So when does Nintendo realize that they have overused the "Dark clone" plot point? They are clearly beating the hell out of a dead horse.
Well it's not like Nintendo is the only company that overuses these type of plot points. Ironic since Pit himself made fun of dark lords in the second chapter and I think he also did that towards dark Pit himself at a certain point if memory serves well...

Anyway, the game is awesome and I've just finished the main story recently. I'll be trying to find a good weapon that suits my taste the best and then I'll go straight for the online battle modes.
Last Edited by windwackster; 03-25-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 PM
gurl u nasty
Send a message via AIM to gsninja
Steam ID: GoldenSunNinja
View Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwackster View Post
Well it's not like Nintendo is the only company that overuses these type of plot points. Ironic since Pit himself made fun of dark lords in the second chapter and I think he also did that towards dark Pit himself at a certain point if memory serves well...
The entire script seems to enjoy poking fun at itself, including when it comes to cliches like the dark clone.

Also, did I say the Earthmaul Club was retardedly strong? It doesn't have ❤❤❤❤ on the Babel Club's projectiles.
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Custom User Title
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,578

I kinda hate it when games use a dark version of main characters too, but I think it's well justified in this game simply because it doesn't take itself seriously, I mean, some stuff in the game are ridiculous, but they know it, it's not like "Oh wah dark pit that's so deep dude 'cause it's represents the darkness in your heart or whatever". I mean, yeah, they mention that, but it's done in such a casual and "lol I wonder" way that makes the whole thing enjoyable.

And it also serves to make the multiplayer have a little bit of sense.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Azure Striker
3DS ID: 1607-2455-6525
View Posts: 1,463

Ah, the good ol' dark doppelganger cliché, always good for a boss fight for gameplay purposes if executed well, but so tired and overused plot-wise (I honestly don't give a crap about the later as long as fighting him is entertaining).

That aside I really need to get my hands on this as soon as I can.
Last Edited by Gunvolt; 03-25-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Goron
View Posts: 214

I wish to post my own brief thoughts on the game.

The controls are extremely awkward personally especially since I'm let handed. Most reviews said it was worse on ground than in air but I'd say it's vice versa if only ever so slightly. The voice acting, graphics, and boss battles, however, are tremendous. I have nothing much more to say as I've barely played any of the game thus far.

Also, I'd like to point out that Kid Icarus: Uprising is the first game with the rebranded Nintendo WiFi Connection-Nintendo Network logo.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Imagine chewing bubblegum with your butthole
Send a message via Skype™ to Sólsetur
Steam ID: solseturs

View Posts: 12,174

So after a bit of thought, I am definitely going to be getting this soon.

I have one question, though: Is the stylus a necessity? I kind of... lost my first stylus, but I haven't run into any games where I've needed it yet. I need to know if I need to pick up a new stylus with the game.

So, do I need it?

[11:32:44 PM] jordan: AM I THE WHY OF THE THINGS OR AM THE THINGS THE WHY OF I

#51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Disaster Master
Send a message via Skype™ to Quin
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Qnez Wii U ID: Gunzelino 3DS ID: 4511-0457-1518
View Posts: 5,643

You can do it without, but you'll definitely want one for this game.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Segfault
View Posts: 1,814

So I've now spent hours just... fusing weapons. At first I figured I would create weapons with super high bonus stats. The problem with that? It's apparently a trade-off: lots of stats means less stars in Range and Melee, and less stats means more stars. At least as a general trend, there are weird exceptions to the rule. The stats also seem to have different "weightings", as in bonuses to things like speed count for more than, say, a bonus for a status effect. Of course whilst most stats lower a weapons strength (less stars), negative bonuses will make your weapon more powerful. So you can do things like exchange Pit's defense for a greater offense, or vice versa.

Eventually someone is going to write an extensive guide on how it all works, for now it's a lot of guess work... It's particularly difficult building up stats for that perfect weapon, when you're not sure how the stats will carry over. It seems like certain weapon types will only accept certain stats, so if you want, for example, a staff with a bonus in Shot Range, you somehow need to figure out how it's going to transfer from one weapon to the next, all the way up to the staff, or then you're just going to have to rely on luck.

I might start taking down notes... (The first weapon I manage to fuse all the way past 300 turned out terrible, it has barely any damage output. It's got everything else, it just can't be used to kill anything...)
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Custom User Title

I don't care about what stats mean, all I care is that I got a freaking 5-star Drill that shoots lasers and giant homing drills. You can't get any cooler than that, not even by a little bit.
Last Edited by Khaoabunga; 03-26-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 PM
♥♥♥♥ing blocks. I'm gonna climb the ♥♥♥♥ outta you!
View Posts: 815

How is this game? I was thinking about picking it up when I got some money, not sure though. Does the story carry on at all from the other games in the series, I've not gotten around to finishing any of them yet.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Has returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macintosh View Post
So I've now spent hours just... fusing weapons. At first I figured I would create weapons with super high bonus stats. The problem with that? It's apparently a trade-off: lots of stats means less stars in Range and Melee, and less stats means more stars. At least as a general trend, there are weird exceptions to the rule. The stats also seem to have different "weightings", as in bonuses to things like speed count for more than, say, a bonus for a status effect. Of course whilst most stats lower a weapons strength (less stars), negative bonuses will make your weapon more powerful. So you can do things like exchange Pit's defense for a greater offense, or vice versa.

Eventually someone is going to write an extensive guide on how it all works, for now it's a lot of guess work... It's particularly difficult building up stats for that perfect weapon, when you're not sure how the stats will carry over. It seems like certain weapon types will only accept certain stats, so if you want, for example, a staff with a bonus in Shot Range, you somehow need to figure out how it's going to transfer from one weapon to the next, all the way up to the staff, or then you're just going to have to rely on luck.

I might start taking down notes... (The first weapon I manage to fuse all the way past 300 turned out terrible, it has barely any damage output. It's got everything else, it just can't be used to kill anything...)
I feel the same way. xD I absolutely cannot WAIT until a guide comes out, I want to see if there's a Medusa weapon, or if I can get Pit's gold-and-blue bow that he always has.

On a side note, ATTENTION ALL PLAYERS OF KID ICARUS!

Let it be known that there is a special weapon that will give you some insane weapons, even by fusing it with a cheap weapon. This weapon is called the "Fortune Bow". I got a Fortune Bow while playing online that had a one-star melee for stats and that was it. I went to fuse it with something in hopes of getting a better weapon, and oh lordy I did. For fusing my Fortune Bow with a one-star ranged club (forgot which one), I got a six-star ranged Cursed Palm with Paralysis +1, Walking Speed +2, Evasion +1, Backward-dash ch. shot +3, and Standing cont. fire +1. I'd say that's a pretty big jump from a one-star melee bow.

So, long story short, the Fortune Bow really does bring fortune to your arsenal.
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
ʟoʀυʟєαɴ swαɢɢєʀ
Send a message via Skype™ to Yuga
Wii U ID: nermfulness 3DS ID: 2921-9735-2712
View Posts: 890

Purchased this game today. Best Buy had it on sale, so I got it for $29.99 rather than $39.99 [I'm a United-Statesian, so this is in USD]. Haven't gotten completely used to the "changing directions with the touch screen" during land battles yet, but other than that, the gameplay is pretty impressive.

I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen so far. I'm in love with mythology, and since I have never gotten to play the original Kid Icarus, I'm making up for it now.

a l b w   h y l i a n   f o n tmk8t u m b l rZD ▪ s i g n a t u r e s   b y   y o u r s   t r u l y
Last Edited by Yuga; 03-26-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
__
View Posts: 8,498

You know, the controls take a huge amount of time to get used to, but the "flick the camera to rotate it" thing is what bothered me the most, at least in frantic battles.

But most reviews I've seen mention how the game becomes PAINFUL to control after like half an hour, and I have to say I have not had this problem at all.

And an idea hit me. I'm right-handed, and I personally use my right pinky finger to support underneath the 3DS when I'm using the stylus, and this makes it incredibly comfortable to use this way. I suspect that people who don't do that-- and thus rely entirely on their undominant hand to support the console and all the constant pressure they're putting on it-- are the ones that end up with the cramps.

So this is some advice I wanted to try to get out: if you don't use your stylus hand's pinky finger as support underneath, I suggest you try. It makes the system much more comfortable to write on, at least for me.

By the way I like the game. Surprising amount of care put into it.
Also Palutena is a total ❤❤❤❤❤.
4 people liked this post: EternaLegend, Khaoabunga, Shinespark, Yuga
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonch View Post
And an idea hit me. I'm right-handed, and I personally use my right pinky finger to support underneath the 3DS when I'm using the stylus, and this makes it incredibly comfortable to use this way. I suspect that people who don't do that-- and thus rely entirely on their undominant hand to support the console and all the constant pressure they're putting on it-- are the ones that end up with the cramps.
I personally just use the stand thing, and don't see how anyone would get a cramp from it (I played three hours non-stop a while ago), and while the pinky thing also works great to avoid cramps, I feel like I lose a little bit of precision.
Last Edited by Khaoabunga; 03-26-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Has returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonch View Post
You know, the controls take a huge amount of time to get used to, but the "flick the camera to rotate it" thing is what bothered me the most, at least in frantic battles.
I agree. I liked how Metroid Prime Hunters did it, although since it's an FPS there are probably different camera controls (again, I reference this game a LOT due to how similar it is to this). I found that just simply having a regular camera for the game would have been way easier, but I just find myself spamming the R button (I'm a left-handed player) to keep the camera straight. Since I'm more of a melee person, I mostly home in on the enemy so I have no need to move in battles like you said. Also, toy with the reticle options. I found that if you make it stop faster it really helps, because I don't know about you but I always find myself frantically tapping the screen and/or mashing the ABXY buttons in battle. Just make use of the frantic tapping and voila!
Last Edited by Shinespark; 03-27-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
__
View Posts: 8,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Rockin View Post
Also, toy with the reticle options. I found that if you make it stop faster it really helps, because I don't know about you but I always find myself frantically tapping the screen and/or mashing the ABXY buttons in battle. Just make use of the frantic tapping and voila!
That was like the first thing I did. I set it to stop really fast.
I'm more used to it by now, but yeah, it was especially frustrating when you're new to the game. I'm glad they gave us as many control options as they could at least.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 03-27-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote