Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 PM
TP Hater
View Posts: 24
The greatest Final Fantasy

I want to know what you guys think was the greatest Final Fantasy. It is one of the industries best franchises, and one of the pioneers of console role-playing. I don't have every title in here, so i'll put "other" as an option.

NOTE: I'm sorry that I didn't put XI and XIV as main options, I didn't because I never actually played them so I couldn't say anything about those games. If you chose XI or XIV, please choose "Other..."

Let's start:

Final Fantasy I

The one that started one of the most popular video game franchises ever. The game was truly groundbreaking for it's time, due to it's considerably wide soundtrack, brutally challenging difficulty and genre-defining concepts. The gameplay was polished and charming, but there were still a few things to be perfected. We look at it now as a very simple game, but at the time it was one of the most envolving, engaging and inspiring RPG's. An understandable pick, since it was one of the most important games of the series.

I personaly enjoyed the game alot. Only played through it once (NES version), but I loved playing the game from beginning to end. I would reccomend it to people who haven't played it yet, and love RPG's.

Final Fantasy II

After the success of Square's last attempt at a videogame, a sequel came out entitled Final Fantasy II. The game departured from almost everything the first one did, from setting/story to gameplay/battle system. The game was hugely considered a dissapoitment compared to the first one, although there are still many people out there who think the seond Fantasy was still an amazing adventure!

I only finished it once, so I don't remember it very well. But I remember not liking the leveling system at all, but I enjoyed the overall adventure and story way more than I expected.

Final Fantasy III

The third game of the series was truly one of the greatest achievements in console role-playing games. The turn-based battle system was finally perfected, and it added an unique gameplay element that would become a staple of the series: the Job System. Another game that we look now as very simple, but it was the greatest RPG of it's time, given it's immense world to explore, it's huge soundtrack considering the NES's capabilities and it's charming, but polished graphics.

This is my personal favorite RPG ever. I played through the NES version countless times and once in the DS version. If you haven't played it, go...NOW!!! xD

Final Fantasy IV

The first 16-bit game of the series was also one of the most important. It was the first one to have a really epic storyline, with incredibly envolving characters and dramatic weight to the main plot. The gameplay was the standard turn-based with a few tweaks and improvements, one of them being the addition of the active-time battle system. The game had also very good graphics and one of the greatest soundtracks on the Super Nintendo.

This is also one of my favorites. Played through it one on the SNES version and currently playing the DS version. Play it and love it, if you haven't already.

Final Fantasy V

After IV, it was time for another japan exclusive (at the time) title. V deviated alot from it's predessecor in terms of character development, skill learning system and art direction. It also used the Job System that III used back in the NES. Dismissed by many, unfortunately, and it was one of the very first games to receive a fan translation.

I really liked this game, and I hope i'll get around to complete it a second time. They improved and tweaked the Job System of my favorite FF, but I still prefer the original.

Final Fantasy VI

A fan favorite of the series, it has been widly acclaimed by gamers as one of the greatest titles of it's platform and one o fthe greatest games of it's genre. The game had incredible graphical improvements, character animations and original designs. The gameplay was the standard turn-based gameplay, with the addition of the Esper System. A widly acclaimed soundtrack, incredible variety in characters and a hugely envolving storyline make it deserving of it's allocades.

Though I enjoyed playing through the SNES version once, not one of my favorites. Still reccomend it, though...

Final Fantasy VII

The most popular of the series, and one of the most acclaimed games ever in general, Final Fantasy VII revolutionized gaming. It brought, single-handedly, the role-playing genre all over the world and it brought the complex story concept to a whole new level. The game's plot was truly deserving for a book and a movie adaptation. The gameplay was also standard turn-based, but with the addition of the gamer-friendly Materia System. The game also change the way how we look at games, with it's amazing visuals, scenarios and CGI segments integrated into the action.

I respect it's legacy and what it did to gaming, but it just isn't one of my favorites. I'm currently replaying it, and i'm enjoying it way more than the first time around!

Final Fantasy VIII

The follow-up to an outstanding game turned out to be a game with different ideas and concepts. The storyline was more centered on the main character's love story and it also conceived a more complex, deep and strategic character development system, the Junction System. The game's graphics improved drastically from it's previous installment, mainly in the character models. A beautiful soundtrack gave the game praise among the series' community.

This is IMHO the first really bad FF. The junction system just feels like busy-work and the storyline makes absolutely no sense. Not a very good game to start with the series.

Final Fantasy IX

The follow-up to the futuristic PS1 games was, unexpectedly a throwback to the first Final Fantasy games. It brought the "fantasy" feel back, with it's medieval age and more simple storyline. The gameplay was once again the standard turn-based with a new and more straight-foward character ability system. The game improved once again on the graphic department, with more detailed characters and scenarios. Another wonderful soundtrack, with incredible variety put into it. Hironobu Sakaguchi's personal favorite Final Fantasy.

My second favorite. Played it several times, and I think it's the perfect one to start with.

Final Fantasy X

The game that brought the series to the 128-bit era was a completely different experience from what gamers have been playing for years. The game's plot centered once again in the romance between the main characters, but with an original turn. The gameplay was once again standard turn-based, but with some significant improvements like the in-battle party change and the new Sphere Grid character development system. With beautiful graphics and a soundtrack that also took a different turn, it was praised by critics and fans.

I hate this game...I hate the man who had the idea for this f***ing game. I HATE THIS GOD FORSAKEN PIECE OF S***!!!...Sorry, rage moment. Don't play this game, if you value your sanity and patience!

Final Fantasy XII

Another title that gave players a throwback to Final Fantasy's roots, again with a more simplified plot and character back stories. The gameplay changed completely from it's predecessors, being like a mix between turn-based and action gameplay. The License Board was the new character development system, and almost every other aspect of the old titles was put into this one like magic shops. The visuals were the best yet, even though it didn't push 100% of the PS2's capabilities. A new composer was brought to make another great soundtrack.

People give s*** to this game, but actually I didn't think it was that bad. Actually...I loved the game. I really reccomend it, for gamers who want to recover from the trauma of playing FFX...

Final Fantasy XIII

The game that brought the series to the new generation, Final Fantasy XIII was another epic-fantasy like tale. The story took a more engaging and envolving turn, with incredible scripting and dialogue. Characters had a fitting and deep back story, with talented voice actors to enhance the experience. The gameplay changed drastically once again, to a more turn-based style battle system. The Crystarium is the new character development system, with certain similarities to the Sphere Grid. The graphics are the best yet, pushing the PS3 to it's maximum power. The soundtrack took a more dramatic turn, but still has thrilling and exciting music.

Wow...just wow. I watched so many people give s*** to this game, and I realised that they must be the same ones who gave XII s***. All of them must be FFX fanboys. This game is not half as bad as people say it is. It has flaws, and it isn't exactly one of the best of the series, but it's still an amazing title that I reccomend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, which Final Fantasy do you think is the greatest?
Last Edited by Xehanort; 01-23-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
gone with the ghost train
View Posts: 4,946
Re: The greatest Final Fantasy

You forgot X-2, or you thought to leave it out because the first X was bad. It's not as bad as X.

I've played and beaten: I, IV, V, VI, and VII.

In the order I like them: IV > I > VII > VI > V

I think VI is overrated.

I've played XI, which is a MMORPG. Been on a long hiatus from it, I doubt I'll go back to it.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm going to find out if I'm really alive
Steam ID: pawptart
View Posts: 2,517

Does the Tactics series count?

Tactics is my ♥♥♥♥.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM

If they count, the Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo's Dungeon games must count too. I think it's best to be simplified with the numerical games instead of muddling with them.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,879

Are you one of those "Hurrr, XI doesn't count" people?

Storywise, I think XI is the best of the series.

Setting and character wise, I liked IX.

Gameplay wise I liked II and IV. The augments in IV were cool and the level up system in II is great once you get used to it.

As an overall favorite, I might have to go with X. Beautiful world, a nice story, good gameplay. It's just a top class game.
Last Edited by silver arrow; 01-23-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Spidey
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 18,006

I think Final Fantasy IX doesn't get enough credit. It was the only game in the series, in my opinion, where the main protagonist wasn't an annoying ♥♥♥♥. Zidane was a fun character to assume the role of and I enjoyed it much more than any Final Fantasy game before or after that.

I also really liked the entire party of characters in comparison to the other games. The soundtrack wasn't as memorable nor nostalgic for me, but I enjoyed it enough anyways.

For these reasons listed (and many unlisted), I think Final Fantasy IX is the best game in the series.

However when it comes to nostalgic value, I'd probably have to go with either VII or VIII.
5 people liked this post: Buu, Cayenne Pepper, Gianlorenzo, Kikaider, Notsil
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

Here's my top FF games out of the ones I have played.

#6 Final Fantasy VIII - Didn't really grip me, and the Junction system was a little messy.

#5 Final Fantasy V - This game was alright, granted I haven't gotten too far into this one. Maybe I'll give it another try soon.

#4 Final Fantasy X - I think the game is good, but I think it's really cheesy, the voice acting isn't that good even with the big names doing the voice acting. The writing was not that good, the story wasn't bad. I wasn't a big fan of the Sphere Grid, but still, a solid 8/10.

#3 Final Fantasy VII - I really enjoyed this game. I think this game is now becoming underrated, because it is now cool to hate this game. I think people should base the game on quality, and not just if you are sick of its praise.

#2 Final Fantasy XII - I love this game. I stopped playing it, though, because it really later got hard, and I had to keep grinding my characters in the Phon Coast before I could get past this one sidequest to defeat all the Mandragoras. Maybe I'll get back to it, though. Because I really did enjoy this game.

#1 Final Fantasy IX - This game is definitely my favorite. All the characters are great. The story is basic, but this does not deduct any points from its score, because I'd rather have a basic story well done than a new and original idea done poorly. The visuals are some of the best on PS1, and the battle system is really well put together. Overall, this is my favorite Final Fantasy.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Super High School Level Video Game Message Board Poster
Send a message via AIM to Hoopy Frood
Steam ID: powerageshadow
View Posts: 6,862

Nigga, what, X is the ♥♥♥♥.

The sphere grid is one of the best character advancement systems in the whole series.

Let's Play/Game Commentary |Twitter | Gaming Blog

Voted #1 Biggest Video Game Nerd Summer 2014
2 people liked this post: Ahluk, Spidey
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Loptsided
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,601

Mystic Quest!

lool. (no really i do love that game.)

My favorite out of the main series is probably FFIV. I havent even played it in many a moon. FFVII is a good game too. Hideously overrated at times but a good game, dammit. I just....dont like that series. Like...i really dont.

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 04:25 PM
TP Hater

Damn, I forgot to add a poll If any moderator catches my post, I would ask if you could add a poll with 15 choices:

-12 for each title on the main post;
- 3 more saying
.Other...
.Didn't like any of them
.Loved all of them

It'd be highly appreciatted if any mod around could do this for me. And if it's not possible, sorry for me being a dumbass xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow View Post
Are you one of those "Hurrr, XI doesn't count" people?
Not at all, it's just that i've never played it and I couldn't write anything because I don't know anything about it. That's why I wanted to add a poll with the option "Other..." for people to choose a title which isn't in the main choices...
Last Edited by Xehanort; 01-23-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Ganon's Bane

Or you could just replace other with XI since you're just doing the main titles and nobody's going to vote for XIV. XIV doesn't count until version 2.0 anyway.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM
gurl u nasty
Send a message via AIM to gsninja
Steam ID: GoldenSunNinja
View Posts: 43

I know it's opinion and all, but you really blew my mind by saying X was bad, but then saying XII and XIII were good haha. If you said all of them were good or all of them were bad, then ok, but...interesting.

Anyways, this is how I rank the FFs (Only the ones I've played, of course):

1. VIII
2. X
2. IV
4. VII
5. VI
6. III

7. XIII
8. X-2
9. XII

I separated the list because there's not a single game in the first six spots that I didn't like, all quality games IMO. The last three? They just make me pine for the days of Final Fantasy that ended with X.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 PM
TP Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsninja View Post
I know it's opinion and all, but you really blew my mind by saying X was bad, but then saying XII and XIII were good haha. If you said all of them were good or all of them were bad, then ok, but...interesting.
I know, right? xD I also thought it was pretty weird the fact I liked XIII very much, and hated X. I went to XIII with an attitude like "I'm so gonna hate this s***" but I ended up liking it alot. The game is pretty good, the story is good, the battle system was entertaining and the characters were alright. X was soooo boring, the story and characters are horrendous and the art design is f***ing ridiculous!

XII is one of my favorites, mainly because of the huge world to explore with lots of things to do, and the gameplay was marvelous. The story, characters and dialogue were pretty bad, though...
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Skull Knight
View Posts: 434

VI is my favorite.
Had some of the most memorable characters including one of my all time facorite Villains Kefka. As well as having a compelling story and great writing even if it's a bit cheesy at times.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Cayenne Pepper Cayenne Pepper is a female United States Cayenne Pepper is offline
en de'ez ia! "Murica
View Posts: 4,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenjoker View Post
I think Final Fantasy IX doesn't get enough credit. It was the only game in the series, in my opinion, where the main protagonist wasn't an annoying ♥♥♥♥. Zidane was a fun character to assume the role of and I enjoyed it much more than any Final Fantasy game before or after that.

I also really liked the entire party of characters in comparison to the other games. The soundtrack wasn't as memorable nor nostalgic for me, but I enjoyed it enough anyways.

For these reasons listed (and many unlisted), I think Final Fantasy IX is the best game in the series.

However when it comes to nostalgic value, I'd probably have to go with either VII or VIII.
I agree with this sentiment whole heartedly.
Except for the parts about FF7 and 8.

For me, it's:
IX>X>XI.

3DS FC
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,052

I like X and I like XIII :/
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 944

I have only played about half of the games from this series (though I plan on fixing this calamity), but I can list what I liked about the ones that I have played (or watched) so far.

Final Fantasy I: Great for its time, but without turbo mode on an emulator I could never play it. Maybe when I have a break I'll delve some hours into it.

Final Fantasy IV: ♥♥♥♥ing awesome. I had a real blast with this game. I loved the characters, the story was interesting, and the world was fun and colorful. This is the only Final Fantasy game that I've finished so far.

Final Fantasy VI: I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and while I love it for the most part I have found that the game has kind of halted for me. It's probably because I have some grinding to do, but it has slowed down considerably due to difficulty and being clueless on what to do. Hopefully this changes next time I boot it up.

Final Fantasy VII: I just got past the Midgar Zolom for the first time, and this is already my favorite game in the series. I haven't even gotten a tenth of the way through the first disc, and it's already in my top ten games. No nostalgia, and low expectations from the get go. This is a must play. Sephiroth is also a lot more fleshed out than I thought he would be. Kefka was my favorite villain previously (for much different reasons), but Sephiroth has already taken that spot in my mind. Of course, I just barely started the damn game, so what do I know?

Final Fantasy VIII: I'm a bit into the first disc, and so far I think I'll only play this when I really, really don't care about it being perfect. It's so flawed, but for some reason I see something special in it that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm going to give it another go sometime, but the negative vibe that I get from people about it (as well as from the game itself) is making me a bit warry about its quality.

Final Fantasy IX: This another amazing one, though I'm stuck in that area that disables your magic on Disc 3. I'd say it's on par with IV, but I won't know that until I finish it.

Final Fantasy X: The voice acting really ruined it for me. The world seems to be a bit screwy too. I might try it again when it is remastered for the PS3 (hopefully with some redone VAs), but I'm not touching that one for a long time. However, I will say that the battle system is great, and is probably one of the best in the series.

Final Fantasy XII: It's alright so far, but the music is really badly arranged and the plot is kind of boring. I like it, but it's not as fun as VII, IV, and IX.

Final Fantasy XIII: I watched a walkthrough from start to finish. The characters got a bit annoying sometimes, and the villains were... well quite frankly there were just way too many of them. The plot is a bit nonsensical, but it kept my interest somewhat. I may give it a go when I have some spare money and a lot of time to kill (while simultaneously marathoning a TV Show while I trudge through he first couple chapters).

Final Fantasy XIII-2: I played the demo, and while I thought that the gameplay was great, that stupid moogle drives me insane. Add on an apparently ludicrous story and I'm not going to bother with this one (Versus XIII looks amazing, though).

In a nutshell:

VII>IV=IX>VI>XII>X>I>VIII?>XIII-2>XIII
Last Edited by Soli; 01-24-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 03:10 AM
Ganon's Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamole View Post
Final Fantasy I: Great for its time, but without turbo mode on an emulator I could never play it. Maybe when I have a break I'll delve some hours into it.
The NES version, while hyper nostalgic, is a bit slow. If you want to really play the game, I suggest the PSP version.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to Fatrat92
Steam ID: fatrat92
View Posts: 234

Why do people hate Final Fantasy X? I have not played enough of the Final Fantasy games to say which is the best or the worst of the series, but I thought it was a great game.

I have considered buying all the original Final Fantasy games on the PSN as they are all rather cheap.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr. Johnson
Last Edited by Fatrat92; 01-24-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamole View Post
If you mean the battles were too slow, you could have adjusted the respond rate from this screen:

Toggling left/right on the d-pad. 8 is the highest setting.
1 person liked this post: Soli