Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM
I brush after every meal.
Wii U ID: KeeSomething
View Posts: 2,849
Resident Evil Revelations

Survival Horror is back! A nice blend between the aiming and action of RE4/5 and the limited ammo, helplessness, and claustrophobic atmosphere is what Revelations seems to be all about. After playing the demo on the 3DS, I can't help but think this may be the best RE game since 4.

If you have a 3DS, download the demo right now (it's on the eShop), and if you don't have a 3DS, this may be a reason to get one. Speaking of the demo, once you complete it, you unlock Hell Mode which is a harder difficulty setting--that's the best RE experience in a long time. Limited ammo and threatening enemies make running your best option sometimes.

The only downsides of the demo is how short it is, and how you can only boot the game up from the Home Menu 30 times before the demo deletes itself. Thankfully, getting a game over or replaying the demo doesn't send you back to the home menu.

Anyway, I'm really excited to play the final version of the game. RE5 didn't leave me with much hope for the series. Neither did the small-time on-rails shooters for Wii or Operation Raccoon City, but Revelations really does seem to take the best of the series and combined it in a way that may result in the best RE experience yet.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,788
Re: Resident Evil Revelations

Nooooo. Don't remind me that there's a demo. I want to play the full game as a fresh experience.

I've been eagerly awaiting these two games for a long time now. They both look so awesome. I'm looking forward to playing ORC with my friends.
Last Edited by silver arrow; 01-19-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2012, 03:29 PM
♥♥♥♥♥♥
View Posts: 586

Squee! I had a lot of fun playing the demo and off course got scared playing through the game.
And this was my first dose of resident evil.
I enjoyed the atmosphere.
It was hard on occasion thanks to the limited ammo and if you ran out of ammo you are forced to run away from Ooze(the main enemy for this game).
If you ignore the awkward controls for moving around and the infamous camere control that you expect out of survival horror games then the game itself is pretty good to play through.
Day one for me along with final fantasy XIII-2 which appeal to me at least.
Flame armor put on.
"An excellent video game"
Chief excellence.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
T.I.M.E.
View Posts: 3,545

Really enjoyed the demo. Only downside for me were the controls, so I guess I'll probably be picking up the Circle Pad Pro along with the game.

February is too damn crowded.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Ok, but dogs CAN look up.

View Posts: 14,600

I can't wait for this game. Unfortunately, there's a lot of other stuff i'm more excited about coming out.
So i'll have to put this on the back burner
But thank you Capcom, for making sure we actually get some of what we want, instead of only giving us ORC.
I'm liking my options.
Last Edited by Ty; 01-19-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Twilit Mask of Time Twilit Mask of Time is a male United States Twilit Mask of Time is offline
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,505

Overall I really liked the demo, I will probably pick this up at some point, or regret not doing so. The controls didn't bother me THAT much, except aiming the gun. Seriously, Gyroscope control implementation should be standard by now.

After Motion aiming in SS, TP, and RE4 on the wii most notably not being able to move the controller in some fashion to aim is just flat out disappointing. Plus OoT 3D perfectly illustrates how this can be used to fine tune aim. Do most of the movement with the circle pad, and then subtle movements with the 3DS. That being said, on a whole I didn't feel like the game punished you for the lack of precision, so it wasn't really a huge issue.

What I would like to believe
AT:SS-MC-FS/FSA-LoZ/AoL-OoT-WW-PH-ST
CT:SS-MC-FS/fSA-LoZ/AoL-OoT-MM-TP-Alttp/OoX/LA
Last Edited by Twilit Mask of Time; 01-20-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilit Mask of Time View Post
Overall I really liked the demo, I will probably pick this up at some point, or regret not doing so. The controls didn't bother me THAT much, except aiming the gun. Seriously, Gyroscope control implementation should be standard by now.

After Motion aiming in SS, TP, and RE4 on the wii most notably not being able to move the controller in some fashion to aim is just flat out disappointing. Plus OoT 3D perfectly illustrates how this can be used to fine tune aim. Do most of the movement with the circle pad, and then subtle movements with the 3DS. That being said, on a whole I didn't feel like the game punished you for the lack of precision, so it wasn't really a huge issue.
You can. Go to options, and change the aiming to Gyro.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,839

Quote:
The only downsides of the demo is how short it is, and how you can only boot the game up from the Home Menu 30 times before the demo deletes itself. Thankfully, getting a game over or replaying the demo doesn't send you back to the home menu.
Is that how all 3DS demos are?
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm an excellent housekeeper. Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house.
Wii U ID: Googsays
View Posts: 2,657

The controls without the circle pad pro sucked quite badly and where very annoying to handle. I wish they thought about a second slide pad in the first place.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Twilit Mask of Time Twilit Mask of Time is a male United States Twilit Mask of Time is offline
Spirit of Seasons

Quote:
You can. Go to options, and change the aiming to Gyro.
Really? I spent I reasonable amount of time looking, admittedly I was also fiddling with other settings. I'll look again.

EDIT: Yup there it is, didn't bother scrolling past all of the inverted axis controls. BTW who in their right mind would use an inverted Y-axis?

EDIT 2.0: This is dumb, you can't use the gyro with the control stick.

Last Edited by Twilit Mask of Time; 01-20-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
GH3O ▲SS
View Posts: 1,394

I played the demo, I won't be playing it again due to the absolutely horrible controls.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Spirit of Seasons

Did you try the different control options? I try'd A and C, C gave a lot more control if you didn't try it out a lot more akin to a standard shooter game.

Edit: actually after some further playing, type B is by far the smoothest control scheme. C give you more control, but B is a lot more fluid and a lot more intuitive than the rest.

Last Edited by Twilit Mask of Time; 01-20-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Horrible controls? Have you played RE4? They are practically the same except now you can move and shoot. I thought the controls worked fine.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Spirit of Seasons

I didn't love the standard controls, option C, while giving alot of freedom, almost felt like too much freedom. There is really no need to be able to look down while walking. I absolutely love option B though. It's fluid and intuitive. Plus it makes you more likely to actually use the turn around Something I never really did on my first play-through.

I am still quite disappointed with how the gyroscope controls turned out though. Really how hard is it to figure out that the Circle pad should be used to get in the general area, and the gyroscope to fine tune? I don't want to have to wave my 3DS around.

#15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Royal Hylian

View Posts: 946

Played through the demo, I think I managed to kill one thing without getting hurt, seriously do I suck that much at it, are the controls bad, is it just that hard, a mix?

It looks good though.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 PM
-
View Posts: 8,224

I'll never understand people hating the Resident Evil controls... I love how RE4/5 controlled.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Johnny Sokko Johnny Sokko is a male United States Johnny Sokko is offline
Hylian
View Posts: 609

Can you run in this game? I must be playing too much SS, because I felt awfully slow just casually walking away from enemies.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 AM
LuminaForce37 LuminaForce37 is a male United States LuminaForce37 is offline
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 338

I don't think you can run. I found myself holding y or b out of habit from Re4 though. I should test out control scheme B I'm not sure which I used.
(Fifteen minutes later)
Definitely a fan of option B. My L button doesn't work quite correctly and this allowed me to strafe. Yes. Plus holding B became necessary in this scheme, which I also liked. I played with "strong" 3D and third person shooting. A red sight and default aim speed.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Steam ID: sikora002
View Posts: 6,528

I have pre-ordered this game 2 days ago! I can't wait, and the demo was awesome (scary).

As for my fears of not being scary due to the fact its on a handheld:
I played the demo at night, and it scared the ♥♥♥♥ out of me.
I played the demo during the day, Still scary, but it didn't bring the ♥♥♥♥ out of me.

Can't wait!

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

And i have found new love in jill valentine.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegargoylevine View Post
Can you run in this game? I must be playing too much SS, because I felt awfully slow just casually walking away from enemies.
Just push the analog stick forward all the way. Jill certainly isn't as fast as SS Link.