$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Bang bang! Down down!
Send a message via AIM to insaney Send a message via Skype™ to insaney
Steam ID: etherwinterrain 3DS ID: 4742 5819 4763
View Posts: 27,501
Insaney's Picks: Underrated and Overlooked Gems

No prefix because I am a ♥♥♥♥in boss. Also you guys are welcome to comment.

Welcome to Insaney's Picks of underrated and overlooked gems! Uh, pretty much I'm going to be reviewing/informing you about games that you probably never heard about (for this gen and maybe last gen too). I actively hunt down little-known games (especially for the Wii, since most games are overlooked because of the console itself) and try to play them. Most of them are surprisingly good, but were overshadowed because of bigger releases and/or bad scores/ratings and lack of marketing. I may also take another point of view on games that are widely considered to be "bad".

By Insaney:
[Wii] The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
[Wii] Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
[Wii] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
[Wii] Red Steel 2
[Wii] Muramasa: The Demon Blade
[Wii] Arc Rise Fantasia

[NDS] Avalon Code
[NDS] Infinite Space
[NDS] Atelier Annie

[PS3 | 360] Resonance of Fate
[PS3 | 360] Vanquish
[PS3 | 360] NieR

[PS2] Radiata Stories

By others:
[N64] Rocket: Robot on Wheels [by Fluttershy]
[N64] The Mystical Ninja starring Goemon [by Thegargoylevine]

[PS3 | 360] Eternal Sonata [by sullyVAN]
[PS3] Folklore [by Halcyon Hero]

[PSP] Ys Seven [by Double A]
[PSP]Gods Eater Burst [by BloodRawEngine89]

[Wii] Lost in Shadow [Bewbs-chan]
[Wii] Little King's Story [Traeh]

So let's start with this little gem I picked and played today:

In defense of the Wii:

The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces

Release Dates: NA January 12, 2010 | EU February 26, 2010
Rating: ESRB: T | PEGI: 12

See that "Powered by Project Aces" right there on the cover? You may know them. That's right, the same developers of the Ace Combat series, in which you take control of various fighter jets and get yourself in crazy dogfights and wars while listening to some amazing music and cheesy but (at most times) charming voice acting.

However, The Sky Crawlers is actually an adaptation of an anime film (done by Production I.G. no less! Don't know who they are? Ghost in the Shell films), which in turn is an adaptation of a Japanese novel. So it's an adaptation of an adaptation of an adaptation. But that's alright, because you can still grasp the story and enjoy the game to its fullest extent without knowing about the small franchise.

The story is pretty simple at the start. The game takes place in an alternate history, during an era of tranquility after constant war. You are a rookie pilot with the codename "Lynx" (not the girl on the misleading cover. NPCs refer to the player character as a male) who's just been brought in to the Sky Crawlers, a group of privately contracted pilots using propeller-driven planes. Though during that time, the group becomes embroiled in a mystery revolving around the appearance of seemingly immortal fighter pilots.

The cutscenes are beautiful and well animated, done in the same style as the film. In fact, the studio that did the film did the cutscenes for the game as well! They capture the setting and characters well, but the voice acting is a bit hit or miss. It's not stellar by any means, but pretty good.

The gameplay has a few problems, especially with the Wiimote and Nunchuck. The controls are a bit clunky and unintuitive with them, and take a lot of getting used to. A downside, no doubt. However, you can use the Classic Controller or even a Gamecube controller for that familiar feeling (for those who know Ace Combat) and much, much easier control. It's not complicated once you get used to it. As the game goes on, you unlock more planes and multitudes of upgrades for those planes, as well as weapons. You'll get more used to controlling your planes as well, and no doubt you'll be feeling like a badass in a propeller-driven plane.

A very lovely touch in the game is the ability to watch and save replays of the mission you just took part in (a lost feature, in my opinion, most games should have this). Didn't think you did any cool stuff while playing? You'd probably be dead wrong, and you'd surprise yourself by watching the replay. Aside from that, during the mission results screen, you see a little miniature of your squad's and enemies' flight patterns played out in real time as if you were watching the entire fight from above, with the blue lines representing your team and the red lines representing the enemies.

Another downside is that the game is incredibly short. However, this is made up for by the publishers themselves. When it was released in the US, XSEED made the game relatively cheap (around US$20 new). And the game itself has a little re-playability in that it grades you after each mission. Want to get an S-Rank in every mission? Want to try out those planes and their upgrades? Good luck, soldier, you're going to need it.

The Bad
- Short
- Voice acting is hit or miss
- Clunky, odd controls with the Wiimote and Nunchuck
- The graphics are a little better than PS2's (Should you really be bothered by this, though?)

The Good
- Length is countered by its price and little re-playability
- Odd Wiimote and Nunchuck controls can be overlooked by practice or entirely bypassed by using a Classic or Gamecube controller
- Gameplay that's simple and easy to grasp, reminiscent of the Ace Combat series, but slightly easier to get into.
- A story that's easy to understand and good enough to hold your interest
- Beautifully animated cutscenes done by Production I.G.

The Trivia:
- Production I.G. animated the 2008 film as well as the cutscenes in this game.
- The author of the original novel and the director of the anime both took part in the game's development as consultants. They both played a pre-release version of the game.
Last Edited by insaney; 08-21-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 AM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,148
Re: Insaney's Picks: Underrated and Overlooked Gems

Ah, XSEED, I'm not surprised they're the ones publishing this outside of Japan, they've started investing in lots of titles that are too niche for other publishers to touch (Trails in the Sky! Wooh!). They're definitely a good company to keep an eye on for fairly interesting games, especially if you like RPGs or Zelda-esque titles.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 AM
Bang bang! Down down!

Yep! XSEED is pretty cool. They brought over some of the overlooked/underrated games I'm gonna have a go at later.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2011, 03:03 AM
I get the job done. Period.
View Posts: 2,786

I'm actually looking forward to this thread to develop. Though I think you should get some people to help out. There are games you may not have or can't get your hands on but someone else can. Just saying.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Too many waifus will destroy your laifu

View Posts: 6,221

Yeah, I agree with Zero. If you wanted me to, I could do a huge essay on Rocket: Robot on Wheels for the N64 in the same format.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Bang bang! Down down!

Well thanks guys. And Fluttershy, that would be really cool. I'm pretty much doing this gen (Wii, 360/multiplatform) and last gen (PS2, some Gamecube). Also some games on the DS as well. Lots of overlooked games there.

Also I added a trailer for The Sky Crawlers.

Next game should be up sometime...later.
Last Edited by insaney; 12-23-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Too many waifus will destroy your laifu

View Posts: 6,221

Well, I'm gonna do this here even though this is Insaney's thread

Rocket: Robot on Wheels

Platform: N64
Release Date: NA Oct 31, 1999 | EU Dec 17, 1999
Rating: ESRB: E | PEGI: 3+

Rocket: Robot on Wheels had the great fortune of being released just before the holiday season during the Nintendo 64's prime. It also had the great misfortune of being released at the same time as Rayman 2. Long story short, it didn't sell very well.
This game was made by Sucker Punch, the company that was bought up by Sony and went on to develop the inFamous and Sly Cooper games for Playstation. This was their very first project.

Story: This story follows a red robot named Rocket who has one wheel rather than legs (like a unicycle). He is a simple maintenance bot in Whoopie World, an amusement park in outer space.
However, the nefarious scheming of a jealous raccoon named Jojo turns the amusement park from a pleasant family vacationing spot to a treacherous series of challenges. And he's hidden all the tickets and tokens!
You must go through the different sections (worlds) in the park and gatherall the tickets and tokens before it's to late.
Gameplay: The gameplay is pretty standard for a platformer. You have your typical move, jump, double jump controls. However, this game adds a grapple beam. You use this to pick objects up such as boxes and trash cans and throw them where you want.
You also gain new abilities, such as the power to freeze things or the power to grapple onto things from far away.
Most of the game lies in manipulating the world around you. For example, you want to grab a token that is on a high pedestal. Unfortunately, it's too high for you to reach. Rather than wall jumping onto it or something, you realize that you can actually pick up nearby sheep and stick them to the wall. Now you've created a staircase of sheep stuck to the wall and you can retrieve your prize.
There are also vehicles. There is a dolphin robot that you can ride through an obstacle course, there's a mine cart, and there's even a hovercraft that you can shoot paint from!

Negatives
-The smooth jazz soundtrack can get annoying.
-There are a few spots where the game is rough around the edges.
-There aren't enough things for me to complain about

Positives
-The physics in this game are good, even by today's standards, and are by far the best on the N64.
-The level design is creative and innovative.
-Puzzles are great fun.
-Lot's of things to do.

I honestly can't find much to complain about. This is easily oneof my favorite N64 games. I would kill for a remake!
If you haven't played this game, go play it! Go play it now!
Last Edited by Fluttershy; 12-23-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: Armillary, insaney, ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Bang bang! Down down!

In defense of the Wii:

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Release Dates: NA March 16, 2010 | PAL March 19, 2010
Rating: ESRB: T | PEGI: 7

This lovely little gem which was developed by Tri-Crescendo (developers of Baiten Kaitos and Eternal Sonata), is a post-apocalyptic Japanese-RPG. Yes, that's right. A post-apocalyptic RPG--but hold that thought. It's not like Fallout or anything like that. It's not a wasteland like that. In fact, the game is incredibly beautiful and atmospheric. Overgrown flora cover the ground, buildings and objects outside. Inside ruins, it's dark and foreboding, sometimes downright creepy or disturbing (yes, those were hands coming out of the mirror).

The story is just one part of where this game shines. You play one of the last humans on Earth, Seto, who has just lost his only friend and caretaker. His caretaker only told him to go east, towards the red tower, where he may find other survivors of the "disaster". The event that cause the apocalypse is never really explained to you in detail. Instead, Seto has the ability to read last memories off certain items he finds (like a shoe, a paper crane, or cellphone strap). And that may clue you in to what happened to the Earth, and what happened to the people who used to own these items.

The game is incredibly atmospheric and beautiful. From a street flooded with water and sprinkled with glowing flowers, to haunted underground subways to an overgrown amusement park and more. Nearly every environment is breathtaking and detailed, yet each has a melancholic and depressing tone; and does well to ensure the fact that Seto is truly alone and may always be alone. The game focuses a bit more on exploration of detailed, abandoned environments with few but stellar and heartfelt character interactions and development. It's really recommended for those who can get emotionally involved in a video game's story.

The gameplay is where it falls below average. Seto has a flashlight that is controlled by the Wiimote and you need to be using it all the time; the Wiimote is used to turn Seto which makes things a bit awkward especially where precision is required. The flashlight reveals your enemies (called "Ghosts"), by shining on them. You can hear them through the Wiimote speaker.

The combat is real time, but the combo system is incredibly hit-or-miss. To get the strongest attacks, you must time your button presses between strikes, but other than that there seems to be no proper timing. The combat also feels incredibly rigid in a bad way, simply because you can't turn efficiently.

There are a little survival horror elements in there as well. Other than the Ghosts and haunted ruins, you have breakable weapons and inventory management. Your weapons range from brooms to sticks to slingshots, all of them having a limit. You can find these items laying around, and the traveling shopkeeper only shows up randomly at bonfires, which are your save points. So you have to always be prepared, organized and well stocked.

The Bad
- Awkward movement controls
- Classic/Gamecube controllers not supported
- Stiff combat mechanics make fighting enemies tougher than it should be

The Good
- Incredibly atmospheric
- Beautiful graphics and detailed settings
- Stellar story
- Interesting characters and interactions
Last Edited by insaney; 12-24-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 AM
cloneofshadow cloneofshadow is a male United States cloneofshadow is offline
*Placeholder Title*
Send a message via Skype™ to cloneofshadow
View Posts: 1,313

*cough* No More Heroes *cough*

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

In Defense of the Wii

Release:January 22,2008 (NA)
Rating: ESRB M (Mature)

On a system now home to a ton of uber-casual experiences and lots of "me too" shovelware products, it can be pretty rare to find something made specifically for the more hardcore, mature gamer. Since the very beginning, Wii has had a wrap for being a family console, and while games like Godfather, Scarface, and Manhunt 2 beg to differ, the more serious products out there are still outshined by the wave of Wii Sports clones and Mairo Party look-alikes. Well, score one more for the hardcore. No More Heroes isn't the most polished game out there, and it certainly has its fair share of quirks all around, but it deserves to keep its place in the libraries of the more serious Wii gamers just the same. Suda 51 promised a violent, stylistic spectacle, and he delivered.

With that being said, the game also puts style before substance in a few key areas. The overall story, for starters, isn't too deep, as players take the role of Travis Touchdown (a new-to-the-scene killer) who is out to rank amongst the top assassins in the world. To do it, he'll need to work with a tight-knit organization that arranges official fights amongst ranked combatants, and that means raising money, taking on odd jobs, and earning the right to fight.

What ends up happening is that No More Heroes is split into two distinct gameplay types right off the bat. You've got the GTA free-roaming that is used for doing individual missions, exploring the city of Santa Destroy, and hitting up a few shops and training areas, which leads the way for the action-oriented story. If the game was based only on the open world style, it would have been a pretty sizable disappointment as far as we're concerned, as there are constant frame issues, pop-in everywhere, very little NPC activity, and a huge overall lack of polish. You'll hit tons of invisible walls, collide with collision boxes for cars and buildings that are bigger than the art itself, and deal with some sketchy vehicle control as well with Travis's motorcycle.

On the flipside, however, are the guts of No More Heroes. Once you actually gain enough cash to enter into a ranked fight, the experience is extremely rewarding. The general combat harks back to games like Final Fight or Streets of Rage, as you'll control a fast moving, stylistic Travis Touchdown that makes use of a simple high/low attack system (based on how you tilt the Wii remote) and a few gesture kills. The experience is kept fast and extremely stylistic throughout, as the general combat is done with the A and B buttons, leaving the impressive -- and astonishingly violent -- kills to gesture finishers or two-handed wrestling moves. Since the entire game embraces a style of punk/retro visuals, otherwise overly-violent scenes are less the Manhunt style, and more like Tarentino's Kill Bill films, where you know you're witnessing violent actions, but the style is so heavy that it's really dulled down and far more tolerable. Each of these missions is about ten to 15 minutes, and offer a full "level" of action before the boss battle at the end. Very traditional, and very fun.

Like Killer 7 before it, No More Heroes is a game with style over substance. The thing is, it's got so much style and so much raw pop-culture appeal that it becomes easy to overlook its shortcomings in favor of its accomplishments. It's a game you want to like because it's original and just a little bit crazy, too. (The main character drops his pants and sits on the toilet when you save a game, for crying out loud.) And if it were just comprised of battle missions and assassinations, which are well polished, ridiculously cinematic and gory, it would be a pretty amazing affair, I have to admit.
But Suda 51 has overextended No More Heroes' adequate, but hardly dazzling 3D game engine and endeavored to create a sandbox, open-world style experience in which you can drive from place to place. It's clunky and, frankly, it looks dated directly from the start. Filled with mundane tasks and sloppily executed mission structures (the process of restarting a failed mission is stupid), it's just more trouble than it's worth, especially considering that all that style I talked about falls elsewhere.

Get No More Heroes for the cult appeal -- the crazy characters, unpredictable dialog, and stunning amounts of over-the-top gore -- but beware of its technical limitations. When you're fighting with your Wii remote or engaged in a grotesque cinematic, you're golden. But getting there can be a chore.

The Bad

Not much to do outside of the Story
Poor Overworld

The Good

Rewarding Control Scheme
Great Story
Amazing Bosses
Last Edited by cloneofshadow; 12-24-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Keith, Panda Bear
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaney View Post

[/center]
I could have sworn it was Samuel L. Jackson saying "Rated T for Teen."

???

1 person liked this post: Kuya
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Bang bang! Down down!

I don't know if No More Heroes counts as "underrated and overlooked". It won several awards from different sites and magazines and received overall positive reviews from everywhere. It was a great game, though.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,916

Oh, Fragile Dreams was a game I was looking into getting. I was mixed on getting it because I've heard a few people tell me they didn't like it that much, however this review has opted me to try it out.
1 person liked this post: insaney
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,119

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaney View Post
I don't know if No More Heroes counts as "underrated and overlooked". It won several awards from different sites and magazines and received overall positive reviews from everywhere. It was a great game, though.
Nor is it really "in defense of the wii". They have versions for the PS3 and 360 as well.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 01:12 PM
cloneofshadow cloneofshadow is a male United States cloneofshadow is offline
*Placeholder Title*
Send a message via Skype™ to cloneofshadow
View Posts: 1,313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scentless Apprentice View Post
Nor is it really "in defense of the wii". They have Horrible Ports for the PS3 and 360 as well.

Fix'd
1 person liked this post: BloodRawKnuckle
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 03:32 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

View Posts: 14,370

Can we post our own "underrated and overlooked gems"? Once I get back I might post one if I'm allowed. It's this PSP game I really want to get someone to try.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,616

Ohh thanks for this thread! Ill keep an eye out for those games!

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
1 person liked this post: insaney
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Bang bang! Down down!

I'll be putting links to each review in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Can we post our own "underrated and overlooked gems"? Once I get back I might post one if I'm allowed. It's this PSP game I really want to get someone to try.
Sure, as long as it's pretty underrated and overlooked/given bad/average scores by most "game journalists".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraneth View Post
Ohh thanks for this thread! Ill keep an eye out for those games!
You're welcome, I'll be sure to keep it up. My next entry might be a DS game. Or a PS3/360 game! Who knows.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 06:18 PM
I get the job done. Period.
View Posts: 2,786

I'm not sure if Radiant Historia is an overlooked gem. It gets good reviews but I have no idea how many people have played it or even heard of it. (I'm assuming its a few but I'd prefer to be sure.)

How can I find out?

BTW, I loved that game.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Bang bang! Down down!

You can probably look at sales numbers. It's gotten a crapton of positive reviews and scores, though.
Radiant Historia Sales (DS) at gamrReview
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Bang bang! Down down!

Look out! It's on the PS3 | 360!:

Resonance of Fate

Release Dates: NA March 16, 2010 | EU March 26, 2010
Rating: ESRB T | PEGI 16

Released in the massive, dark and intimidating shadow of Final Fantasy XIII in the west, this game was severely overlooked. Developed by tri-Ace (Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile series, co-developers of Final Fantasy XIII-2), this gem did things a little differently; like Mass Effect blending third-person action and Western-RPG genres, Resonance of Fate took the third-person action and Japanese-RPG genres and smashed them together, while remaining more in the "RPG" side of things. Set in a sort of steam-punk setting (a giant set of platforms that can support towns and cities and are covered in elegant, ever-turning gears) with dashes of film noir, this one-of-a-kind blend provides an unusual and unique experience. The gameplay itself is incredibly different: no turn-based, melee or ATB system here. It's all about ranged, flashy gunplay, smooth and stylish moves while listening to awesome tracks (Six discs of it! Composed by the very famous Motoi Sakuraba). Those who've played it say it's much, much better than Final Fantasy XIII and it's recommended for those who weren't satisfied or want a more complex JRPG experience.

The gameplay provides an especially steep learning and difficulty curve. The ability to observe and pay attention are your allies here. There are (destructible and non-destructible) walls that provide cover (yes there is a cover system) from enemy fire (which can be guns, to grenades to missiles). Most of the enemies have armor that need to be broken off in order for them to be hurt. Some enemies have layers of armor. It gets even more complicated; there are two types of damage. Scratch Damage (caused by SMGs) and Direct Damage (caused by thrown weapons and handguns). Direct Damage doesn't do much in taking down HP, but Scratch Damage doesn't take down HP at all, instead, it turns portions of HP bars from green to blue. Direct Damage must be used to make the Scratch Damage into real damage. Think of Scratch Damage as "softening" up the enemy, before dealing Direct Damage. Not to mention that Scratch Damage weapons and Direct Damage weapons both have different kinds of effects depending on the aiming/charge level--your shots must be charged before firing. The more charge it has, the more damage you do. The shots charge faster if you are closer to your target.

Each character has a set amount of time to move and/or aim, however the time does not run down if you're standing still. The meat of the system, however, lies in the ability to do invincible "Hero Actions"; where a party member runs (or jumps) in a straight line across the field while aiming and firing in an incredibly flashy and stylish manner (flips and somersaults while throwing grenades? You bet!). The amount of Hero Actions you can do is measured by a meter at the bottom of the screen in battle, consisting of something called "Bezels". Each Hero action uses one Bezel. At the beginning, you only have three. If you run out of Bezels, your entire party enters Critical Condition, where your party members become shivering wrecks (really) and all move slowly while all enemy attacks do direct damage. Since there are no revival items and all characters are important to the story, anyone that dies means Game Over. To replenish Bezels, you must destroy an enemy's HP bar (even if it's just armor) or "break" the bar (an effect caused by Direct Damage) and bring the HP down to that point of the break.

But wait, there's more! You have the ability to do "Tri-attacks", which is basically a Hero Attack done by all three characters at the same time. Tri-attacks are powered by "Resonance Points" which can be racked up by repeatedly using Hero Actions and sending the character between two other party members (you'll know when you're sending them the right way when the cursor lights up blue). Strategic placing is required to do a Tri-attack, since characters can run into walls or larger enemies and get stopped in their tracks.

On top of that, you have gun customization, where you can add on lots of parts for more charge speed, more accuracy, more damage, stuff like that. It can get really crazy to a comedic point (barrels on barrels and scopes attached to scopes!). There are also three types of weapons; SMGs, Handguns and Thrown Weapons (like molotovs, shock grenades, poison grenades and normal frag grenades). Each character can level up in each category. Since each category can reach to level 100, the level cap is level 300. And there are enemies (excluding bosses) that are level 150 or higher.

Boil all this down and you have a difficult, complex RPG that requires strategic thinking, preparation, planning, observation and patience.

And that was just the battle system. There are a lot of sidequests, an arena and places to explore; but you can only unlock paths in the world map by using "Hexes", which you have to pound out of enemies. Uncoloured Hexes are used to unlock normal places and paths, however, Coloured hexes are used to activate different special places (like dungeons or terminals, which boost stats or adds abilities in the coloured hexes that are connected to them). Exploring and unlocking Hexes is encouraged, since you have the chance to uncover even more Hexes, weapons, clothes (for character customization) and precious Bezel Shards, which increase your Bezel meter.

You can customize the three main characters' appearances. Hair colours, eye colours, clothes (mostly palette swaps, though some aren't), gloves, boots; all can be changed at any time by accessing the wardrobe in the characters' home base (marked with a giant "Home Sweet Home" sign outside, so you won't miss it).

The game consists of New Game+, where you can start on a harder difficulty each time while retaining non-coloured Hexes (except the ones for black bonus dungeon, you keep those). There are 10 difficulty levels. Good luck.

The story is where most people say it fails because it's not entirely straightforward, and most of the pieces have to be put together by the player. However, if you absorb it well and think about it, it's not hard to understand. Almost the entire game, sidequests are the main quests. Simply put: it's about three individuals whose pasts come back to haunt them while they get mixed up in the schemes and plots of others. Why and how? Well you'll just have to see for yourself.

The characters themselves are well fleshed out and interesting; the interactions among the main trio (Vashyron, Leanne and Zephyr) never get old. The voice acting is also extremely good, in fact, Vashyron is voiced by Nolan North of all people.

These, coupled with beautiful surroundings and sweet music, offer an amazing experience.

The Bad
- Steep learning and difficulty curve may not be for everyone, later on you may find yourself restarting battles or running away far too often.
- Battle system gets repetitive later on, since you never get more moves or any more special abilities than Hero Attacks or Tri-attacks.
- Story may be too convoluted or lacking to some people

The Good
- The complex system, strategic gameplay and difficulty curve may be just what you're looking for (that's right, it's both good and bad, depends on the person)
- Allowed the freedom to explore the world map (as long as you have Hexes to unlock paths)
- Well done characters and interactions
- Character appearance customization
- Beautiful environments
- Amazing music
- Replayability: New game plus carries over levels, money, guns, outfits and items with the choice of increased difficulty. You also get access to the bonus dungeon from the start. There are TEN difficulty levels in Resonance of Fate, each unlocked with subsequent playthroughs.

The Bonus
- It has a Christmas chapter!
- Mmm Leanne in a Santa outfit.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Last Edited by insaney; 12-25-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Ahluk