$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#421 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Reach out to the truth.
Send a message via AIM to Brotagonist Send a message via Skype™ to Brotagonist
Steam ID: wolfennights

View Posts: 17,657
Re: Xenoblade discussions

Anybody else have trouble with Mumkhar at Sword Valley? My characters are level 48 and I can't even get his two mooks down first.

Tumblr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I read "therapist" as "goat".
  #422 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Divine Might Divine Might is a male United States Divine Might is offline
Timeless
Send a message via Skype™ to Divine Might
View Posts: 509

Quote:
Is this game worth buying?
I'd say it's definitely worth buying. Especially if it's only $20 there since that does seem really cheap. Though it depends on what kind of games you like. For me I'd consider it one of my favorite games and I definitely got my money's worth.

Arggh! I just beat the game, though I didn't want to. I didn't know you couldn't save in the final area and I didn't save that close to it so I was like what the hell I'll do it anyway.

The fight was fun though! I was only level 82 with one member 81 so it was kinda difficult. Took me around 2 hours. Fought with Sharla, Reyn and Shulk. At first played as Shulk, but that was going horrible. I'd get it down to like 25% and when those two helpers came I got messed up. Then played as Sharla so I can heal better and was able to beat it after a couple tries.

I thought the ending was pretty good and it did clear some things up! We need a sequel or a prequel!
Last Edited by Divine Might; 07-20-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #423 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

View Posts: 14,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jack View Post
Anybody else have trouble with Mumkhar at Sword Valley? My characters are level 48 and I can't even get his two mooks down first.
Ouch. Aren't the enemies at that area in the early level 50's?

My advice is to level up or take advantage of some cheap topple locking. Or maybe get some Night Vision gems and tackle the enemies at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGiraloz View Post
Is this game worth buying?

I saw the game at a store for Under $20 bucks, when most other Wii games there costs over $80,
if it's THAT cheap it worries me,
I don't want be wasting time and money if it is a bad game so is it worth it?
The reason it's so cheap is because Xenoblade simply isn't for everybody (and low demand results in a lower price). There are three main reasons:
-JRPG's themselves are relatively niche compared to other genres
-Xenoblade is incredibly inaccessible for people who aren't willing to put in time to learn the game's mechanics (which I don't blame people for - some people seek to separate learning and leisure and that's totally fine). I had to do a lot of internet research while playing before I was able to figure out how the game worked, and I know many people don't like doing that.
-The cutscenes are pretty long, and it takes a while for the game to really get "started" (for example, I read about a guy who ragequit JUST before he hit Gaur Plains, which is when the game really starts).

But if you're confident can get over those three hurdles, then you'll probably love the game.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group
Last Edited by Double A; 07-21-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Gianlorenzo
  #424 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
View Posts: 4,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
-The cutscenes are pretty long, and it takes a while for the game to really get "started" (I read about a guy who ragequit JUST before he hit Gaur Plains, for example).
That boss... hoo boy. I have to admit that I ragequit at that point too, but only for a couple of days. Then I went and grinded like a mthrfckr before I tried again.

What came after made it totally worth it.
3 people liked this post: Brotagonist, Double A, Labrynian Rebel
  #425 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2012, 12:33 AM
The "he" in Catastrophe

^The thing is, I'm not afraid of spoilers to the point of actually watching someone else play a fair portion of the early-game before playing it myself. As such, I didn't hit the kinds of walls other players did.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group
Last Edited by Double A; 07-21-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #426 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Reach out to the truth.

So I reached level 50 and got both of Mumkhar's goons down and died. Tried again, rearranged my gems, and kicked ass. Now I am at Galahad Fortress.

Tumblr!
Quote:
1 person liked this post: Double A
  #427 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Divine Might Divine Might is a male United States Divine Might is offline
Timeless
Send a message via Skype™ to Divine Might
View Posts: 509

Well, after playing through pretty much the whole game I just realized that you don't lose affinity coins when switching the shared skills.
1 person liked this post: Double A
  #428 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Does anyone even read these?
View Posts: 813

Well I was having a really good time with this game the last week or so but of course the gods have to take a giant steaming dump on me when I'm seriously starting to enjoy myself.

I had literally just walked into the hidden machina village when all of a sudden my wii decides to stop spinning disks like an ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤. At first I thought it was just dirty lens bull again but no. The wii refuses to spin the disk so I can't play any of my games. Thats not all, I go on the official nintendo website and they expect me to pay 75 bucks to fix this ❤❤❤❤. I can buy a new Wii for that much money. Not to mention with the Wii U coming out I really don't want to waste the money on a system I'm not even gonna use in a few months. Does anyone know an effective cheap way to fix this problem or am I just screwed?
  #429 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Reach out to the truth.

Just got party member number 7.

Shulk and Fiora’s headbump made me tear up a bit.

I don’t know how I feel about the new battle music. Not as triumphant as the regular battle music.

Tumblr!
Quote:
  #430 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe

^I hate the new "enemy spotted you" battle music ("Irregular Bounce") that plays at that point, but IMO the new proper-battle music ("Mechanical Rhythm") is like, the second best battle theme in the game.

Last Edited by Double A; 07-25-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #431 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Does anyone even read these?
View Posts: 813

Okay now that I've calmed down a bit I have things to say about the actual game. First of all that the music is some of the best I've heard in a long time. Second is that this game has an absurd amount of content. I'm already 50 plus hours in and I've still got a LONG way to go. One thing strikes me as odd though. Does this game not have a bestiary? It's no big deal if it doesn't but it seems like something they would have added.
1 person liked this post: Labrynian Rebel
  #432 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Reach out to the truth.

I'm 80 hours in and have only now figured out that Melia's Talent Art can be used without it filling up all the way. So I was summoning her elementals without firing them out. The Talent Art symbol for her looks the same as the rest of the party's (minus Sharla) when they are filling up, and they can't be used until they're filled up.

EDIT: Today I learned that Sharla's Head Shot art does not work against bosses.

Tumblr!
Quote:
Last Edited by Brotagonist; 08-08-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #433 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Has returned.
Send a message via Skype™ to Shinespark
Steam ID: HylianChozo
View Posts: 2,814

Is there any way to kill higher-level enemies when they're 20 levels or so above you? I know it's possible to do it with Night Vision IV gems, but I don't have adequate gems to make them so I'm just wondering if there's any other way. My party is at level 56 at this very moment, and I decided that I should try to kill a level 76 enemy out of boredom. All of my attacks are missing, although some of them landed on the enemy. I eventually decided that it's not worth fighting a battle with what, a 10-percent chance of landing a hit, so I just decided to flee.

Also, I FINALLY completed the Mystery of the Makna Ruins quest. Took FOREVER to get Frontier Village's affinity up to 3 stars, but hey, it was worth it! I love Monado Eater to death. Can't wait to get Cyclone, I heard it was pretty awesome.
Last Edited by Shinespark; 08-20-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #434 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe

This thread is still alive? Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinespark View Post
Is there any way to kill higher-level enemies when they're 20 levels or so above you? I know it's possible to do it with Night Vision IV gems, but I don't have adequate gems to make them so I'm just wondering if there's any other way. My party is at level 56 at this very moment, and I decided that I should try to kill a level 76 enemy out of boredom. All of my attacks are missing, although some of them landed on the enemy. I eventually decided that it's not worth fighting a battle with what, a 10-percent chance of landing a hit, so I just decided to flee.
Well, why not try farming Night Vision IV gems? There's an enemy on Eryth Sea that drops the necessary level III crystals that can be superheated to level IV gems (for more info look for the Xenoblade spreadsheet on Google).

I spose you could do what others do. Use a party of Melia, Riki and Sharla. Ether attacks are generally more accurate than physical attacks, and Melia and Riki in particular have attacks that inflict damage over time (Chill/Burn/Poison/Bleed), so they only need to hit once every so often rather than all the time. Also, they all have attacks which put the enemy to sleep (and Melia can topple), which makes every attack hit as long as they're asleep (or toppled). I'd advise you to give each character one good Agility+ gem too. And the aforementioned Night Vision wouldn't hurt either. But I've never done this so I'm unsure of how well it works without adequate preparation.

Or, you could do what this guy did:

#435 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Has returned.
Send a message via Skype™ to Shinespark
Steam ID: HylianChozo
View Posts: 2,814

^Thanks, I'll try and start farming them, then. How many NV gems do I need to take one on?

@ The video-
Dayum. @_@ That brings up another question - what does it take to keep a chain attack going, exactly? I've tried chaining the same colors, chaining different attacks each time, and making logical decisions. I also time the reaction things perfectly. The most chains I've ever gotten is 4. Not exactly a lot considering how well I fight.

Got 7th (as everyone seems to be calling the person) yesterday, and tested her out in battle quite a bit. She's okay, but I don't think she can really compare since there's no way to inflict Topple with Shulk inflicting Break. Topple's my best friend in battle, so I switched back to Dunban.
  #436 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinespark View Post
^Thanks, I'll try and start farming them, then. How many NV gems do I need to take one on?
Again, I'm not completely sure that level IV Night Vision gems are sufficient to take on a level ~70 monster at level ~50. You're welcome to try, and if you're going to try then you should put one or two Night Vision gems on every character that's attacking (note: Sharla, if you use her, shouldn't really be an attacker when you're taking on such strong enemies).

Make sure you know how to create level IV gems from level III crystals

Quote:
@ The video-
Dayum. @_@ That brings up another question - what does it take to keep a chain attack going, exactly? I've tried chaining the same colors, chaining different attacks each time, and making logical decisions. I also time the reaction things perfectly. The most chains I've ever gotten is 4. Not exactly a lot considering how well I fight.
The chances of the "chain link" (every additional chain attack after the first three) occuring are mostly influenced by:

-The "affinity" between your characters. Higher affinity increases the chances of chain links, you can increase affinity between two characters by controlling one character and doing stuff while the other one's in your party (quests, battling, heart-to-hearts, etc.)

-The "tension" of your characters (look at the characters' portraits on the left side of the screen next to their HP to see how tense/"pumped up" they are). High tension increases the chances of chain links. You can increase the tension of your party by hitting the B-button thing at the correct time or by using arts that increase tension. If they have low tension (their portrait looks like they're in pain) you can Encourage them by going up to them and hitting B. Also, high tension means you're more likely to score critical hits, and low tension means you're more likely to miss attacks.

---

As a side thing, comboing the same color of arts in a chain attack doesn't make them last longer. What it does is increase the effectiveness of those arts (damaging arts do more damage, healing arts heal more HP, etc. when arts of the same color are linked). And white (Talent) arts are like a "wild card", they can be chained onto any color, and any color can come after them without losing the combo.

Quote:
Got 7th (as everyone seems to be calling the person) yesterday, and tested her out in battle quite a bit. She's okay, but I don't think she can really compare since there's no way to inflict Topple with Shulk inflicting Break. Topple's my best friend in battle, so I switched back to Dunban.
Don't worry lol. Soon enough she'll get her own Topple Art that doesn't need Break

Though if you know what you're doing, a party of Shulk - 7th - Dunban (in whatever order suits you) does mad damage

Last Edited by Double A; 08-20-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #437 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 AM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo
Wii U ID: MomoShepard 3DS ID: MomoShepard/4897-7258-9301

View Posts: 6,610

Anyone know a good level to be at for the final boss? I went through and totally got my ass kicked. I think I'm at lvl 86? Don't remember exactly, have to check. But jesus. I can't do anything.
  #438 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-15-2012, 05:06 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe

This thread isn't dead yet? Nice.

Anyway, if you're at level 86 and are still having trouble with the final boss, you might want to check your Arts/equipment/gems/battle strategies. I had a relatively easy battle at level 80 using 7th, Dunban and Shulk in that order.

#439 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Live together, die alone
Send a message via Skype™ to Momo
Wii U ID: MomoShepard 3DS ID: MomoShepard/4897-7258-9301

View Posts: 6,610

Ok I was wrong. I'm level 78. Any advice how to grind and grind quickly?
  #440 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 AM
The "he" in Catastrophe

Haha, thread revival.

Take on some of the weaker Telethia at Alcamoth. If you find it hard to hit them, you can use Dunban's Serene Heart aura to increase his agility to help him hit them, you can use Melia/Riki's ether arts, or you can smack Agility Up/Night Vision gems on everybody.