Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Hylian
View Posts: 637
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Buggier than a lollipop in an antfarm

There was a spell tome in the leaked preview, so I think they've become permanent.
1 person liked this post: Taills
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Hylian Scholar
View Posts: 173

You know, I always laughed at the 50 km psychic link the guards had in Oblivion and Morrowind. xD I'm going to grab this mudcrab meat...

Something like this happens:

Notice his tone of voice when he says or its off to jail...

Then then you watch the town incase any guard were to send any messenger... After while you think its safe and you head to the next town... And well.

He shows up in your face and your eyes have to zoom in:

Notice how angry they looked when they said it...

You shouldn't have stolen that cheese... They already know. Bethesda programmed them like that. Their defeat was only a delay. To the time before you stole that cheese. But the gamers of Oblivion and Morrowind would steal all the cheese and forks. But no one wanted to believe, believe they knew. But when the truth dawns, it dawns in stealing more cheese. But... There was one they fear... In your tongue they are know as GUARDS, psychic born!

Lyrics to the song:
Steal some cheese, and some forks and the guards will know.
You will run! They will know!!
But there is something about there people, people!
Steal some cheese, for the guards will know.
Kill some guards, steal some more cheese.
Steal some cheese, steal some cheese
And some forks.
YAH YAH YAH HIYA
YAH YAH YAH HIYA

You have now become the biggest cheese hoarder in tamriel

Haha a really bad poem about the guards of Morrowind and Oblivion.
Last Edited by Doctor Who; 11-04-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add more hilarity to my post. haha Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
OLÉ, OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ
View Posts: 17,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taills View Post
I wish they still had spears though.
I don't see what the big ♥♥♥♥storm is about spears this time around. People didn't throw a hissy fit when they weren't in Oblivion. In fact the only game in the series they were in was Morrowind, and even in that game they were pretty weak damage-wise. I mean sure, it would be good if they were included because more options are always merrier in this type of game but still, nothing worth noting to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyewatson View Post
You know, I always laughed at the 50 km psychic link the guards had in Oblivion and Morrowind. xD I'm going to grab this mudcrab meat...
lol I never found it humorous. I got so pissed off the first time it happened.

But yeah, I always hated how much guards knew. One time I got caught stealing a potion in Fort Frostmoth so the guards confiscated EVERY stole good I had. Even stuff all the way from Vvardenfell. How did they even have known that that was stolen?
Last Edited by Loveboat; 11-04-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Doctor Who
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Smoking hair isn't nearly as cool as it sounds.
View Posts: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
I don't see what the big ♥♥♥♥storm is about spears this time around. People didn't throw a hissy fit when they weren't in Oblivion. In fact the only game in the series they were in was Morrowind, and even in that game they were pretty weak damage-wise. I mean sure, it would be good if they were included because more options are always merrier in this type of game but still, nothing worth noting to me.
I've never seen anyone mention spears. But Morrowind had an excellent assortment of weapons/armor slots that I wish they kept. Darts, Throwing stars, Crossbows, Spears, Melee staves, Medium Armor, Unarmored, Individual Pauldrons and gauntlets. But I just like options to make very specific characters. I really wouldn't mind them just being copy/pasted perks or stats from another weapon/armor type as long as the choice is there.

M'aiq the Liar addressed some of this stuff as Bethesda's voice in Oblivion, but you know, if they had it in an earlier game, why not the other?

#85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 PM
OLÉ, OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ

Quote:
I've never seen anyone mention spears. But Morrowind had an excellent assortment of weapons/armor slots that I wish they kept. Darts, Throwing stars, Crossbows, Spears, Melee staves, Medium Armor, Unarmored, Individual Pauldrons and gauntlets. But I just like options to make very specific characters. I really wouldn't mind them just being copy/pasted perks or stats from another weapon/armor type as long as the choice is there.

M'aiq the Liar addressed some of this stuff as Bethesda's voice in Oblivion, but you know, if they had it in an earlier game, why not the other?
Because they were broken. And if something was interesting but poorly implemented in one game just give it the ol' Bethesda try and remove it entirely!
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 PM

But... I made grenades out of darts. They exploded on impact with any surface.

Speed/damage/attack type worked well, just not the missing part, that's about the only thing that was broken. Still, Morrowind gets much more praise than Oblivion does overall. A quote from another forum that I thought was pretty great: "Guys, what if Skyrim had Oblivion's gameplay....... and Morrowind's everything else?"

It's a bit nitpicking, but it's just my preference. I just hope they don't keep taking away the specific character tailoring.

#87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,177

You guys probably already know this but here are the system requirements if anybody was looking for them: Skyrim system requirements announced (updated) | Bethesda Blog

Only one more week!
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Old, but just in case someone hasn't seen it yet.

Last Edited by Taills; 11-05-2011 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
3 people liked this post: <|:D, GKANG, Russet
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 01:28 AM
There comes a time for every man to sail the seas of cheese
View Posts: 1,598

Quote:
I don't see what the big ♥♥♥♥storm is about spears this time around. People didn't throw a hissy fit when they weren't in Oblivion.
I did. I loved making spear only characters (Usually Argonians for obvious reasons)

Spears weren't that weak either, sure they weren't the strongest but once you got Bitter Mercy it was pretty much instant death to anything that tried to oppose you.

Besides I liked a lot of things Morrowind offered that Oblivion did not (Pauldrons, other things etc)

Which is why I'll always like Morrowind better. Oblivion had better graphics, physics, and combat but was worse in all other respects.
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Reach out to the truth.
Send a message via AIM to Brotagonist Send a message via Skype™ to Brotagonist

View Posts: 17,581

The horse animations in Oblivion really turn me off. I've been spoiled by the horse animations in Twilight Princess and Shadow of the Colossus.

Tumblr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I read "therapist" as "goat".
1 person liked this post: Sikora
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM
View Posts: 6,529

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9doggie View Post
The horse animations in Oblivion really turn me off. I've been spoiled by the horse animations in Twilight Princess and Shadow of the Colossus.
i loved how epona's big ass was shakin' all the time (no animal incest)
Last Edited by Sikora; 11-05-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 01:41 PM
OLÉ, OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ

Quote:
But... I made grenades out of darts. They exploded on impact with any surface.

Speed/damage/attack type worked well, just not the missing part, that's about the only thing that was broken. Still, Morrowind gets much more praise than Oblivion does overall. A quote from another forum that I thought was pretty great: "Guys, what if Skyrim had Oblivion's gameplay....... and Morrowind's everything else?"

It's a bit nitpicking, but it's just my preference. I just hope they don't keep taking away the specific character tailoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by <|:D View Post
I did. I loved making spear only characters (Usually Argonians for obvious reasons)

Spears weren't that weak either, sure they weren't the strongest but once you got Bitter Mercy it was pretty much instant death to anything that tried to oppose you.

Besides I liked a lot of things Morrowind offered that Oblivion did not (Pauldrons, other things etc)

Which is why I'll always like Morrowind better. Oblivion had better graphics, physics, and combat but was worse in all other respects.
Guys, don't get me wrong. The depth of the choices you had in Morrowind was one of the things that made it one of the greatest games ever. Sure, long blade and blunt weapon were better than spears and bows were better than throwing weapons but just the very fact that you had the option to use them was awesome. And making grenades out of darts? WHOLLY ♥♥♥♥ THAT'S AWESOME.

But I guess "broken" isn't the right word to describe why they didn't quite work as well as they could have. "Unbalanced" is more like it. However, instead of balancing things like spears, thrown weapons and medium armor, Bethesda prefers to cut them out completely. And that sucks.

Having said that though, I do like the fact that they cut out classes. I'm looking forward to this type of flexibility. I hated in the past few games how you had to choose all the skills you would use for the rest of the game at the very beginning--before you even knew what they did. Oblivion helped this to some degree with the tutorial level at the start, but still left you in the dark about many skills such as most of the magic schools, mercantile and personality.
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Hylian Scholar
View Posts: 173

Quote:
lol I never found it humorous. I got so pissed off the first time it happened.

But yeah, I always hated how much guards knew. One time I got caught stealing a potion in Fort Frostmoth so the guards confiscated EVERY stole good I had. Even stuff all the way from Vvardenfell. How did they even have known that that was stolen?
Haha that was my favourite part. I'm like yes! Haha I am a badass theif, alright I'll go to jail... WAIT WHAT!? YOU TOOK ALL MY STOLEN ITEMS THAT I HAVE STOLEN!? I have played over 400 hours of this game and I just lost the majority of my items... How do these guards know?

I wonder if they still know in Skyrim..

On the topic people are talking about, I think in a sense they are trying to simplify the game a lot of appeal to mainstream gamers. Because playing Morrowind for the first time... What the hell was going on? Why do I have to read all this text. I came back to the game later and found out it was an awesome game. However... I don't like the fetch quests that involve you fighting bonewalkers or whatever they are... the ones that drain your strength... When this happened to me I was so mad because I was over encumbered. I killed the monster but I was stuck there and I had that companion beside me that I was suppose to help just standing there looking at me...

I didn't save earlier other than auto-saves but by the point it was saved it was too late I was weak as a feather... I don't know if they got rid of that... I hope they did. I like it when its temporary and not permanent.

Skyrim seems like the are trimming down the game a bit so new players can jump right in and that is what it is from what I've seen from the demos. It can be criticized however they did a fairly good job of fixing some things up.

Technically Bethesda was like,
"Hey guys! We need to make another Elder Scrolls game! Oh yeah that game... The awkward NPC zoom in and lack of emotion when yelling angerly... What about making another one.. Well I was thinking... We can make Skyrim like Fall Out 3 and take stuff from Oblivion and Morrowind."

"HOHMAHGAWD BEST IDEA EVAR" Then Skyrim was made in the bowls of Mount Doom.
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 03:50 PM
OLÉ, OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ

Quote:
Haha that was my favourite part. I'm like yes! Haha I am a badass theif, alright I'll go to jail... WAIT WHAT!? YOU TOOK ALL MY STOLEN ITEMS THAT I HAVE STOLEN!? I have played over 400 hours of this game and I just lost the majority of my items... How do these guards know?
you must be a masochist of sorts
1 person liked this post: GKANG
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Hylian

The second developer diary is out.

... I love the sound of the tavern song.
Last Edited by Russet; 11-05-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM
OLÉ, OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ

I want this guy's job so much

That's Mark Lampert, sound designer for Skyrim if you don't recognize him.
Last Edited by Loveboat; 11-05-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Hylian

Holy crap, that view is amazing.

"The men are big and burly and have beards; the women are big and burly and have beards..."
I'm on the video now. This is renewing my faith.
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
And making grenades out of darts? WHOLLY ♥♥♥♥ THAT'S AWESOME.
Yeah. Problem with it though was that to get a decent radius on it, with decent damage, it cost me about 22k gold.... and despite what it looked like, when I enchanted the batch, I only got one out of it. So it was a 22,000 gold grenade. BUT IT WAS STILL COOL.

And that view is pretty great. I also have the new Skyrim wallpaper up. It's pretty smooth~

#99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Hylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ɹɐǝqıɹǝ View Post
Mercantile has been rolled into Speech, so now you can advance Speech by selling lots of items.
I agree with most of what you've said, but that -^... Actually makes more sense to me? I never bothered with mercantile/bartering skills in OB/FO, and even in real life it's very speech-ey. It's hard to be good at haggling if you don't know how to influence people.

And, apparently the PC's getting a different UI, so I wouldn't judge that through the 360 version.

Anyway, I'm off to google this and judge for myself.
Last Edited by Russet; 11-05-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ɹɐǝqıɹǝ View Post
Stuff
Well yeah but the entire game is supposed to be about being a lumberjack. Who'd want dragon shouts?

2 people liked this post: Pinkie Pie, Russet

Tags
addiction, cocaine, digital drugs, dovakin, heroin, how do i stop playing, methamphetamine, oblivion, skyrim, the elder scrolls