The Comeback Kid
Send a message via AIM to Notsil Send a message via Skype™ to Notsil
Steam ID: LTK419 Wii U ID: ZachtotheFuture

View Posts: 13,381
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Buggier than a lollipop in an antfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
oh yeah on the topic of characters

i went with a breton mage. well, more like a light battlemage. I wear a mix of magical robe ♥♥♥♥ and heavy armor, and throw spells like nobody's business. and i've got a weapon + shield on backup in case of emergencies

but bretons aren't the best at swingin weapons around so i stick with magic for as long as i can
THATS EXACTLY WHAT IM DOING.
Dual casting flame, or running firebolt/flame is awesoooome.

What skills are you going into Red?

HEAVY DESTRUCTION LIKE ME?
  #202 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Mogma
View Posts: 184

I might get Skyrim and try it if what you guys saying are true.
I never really got into the Elder Scrolls series, I just feel it's boring and all but I could be wrong.
Let's see.
  #203 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,397

My pickpocket/sneak skill is unmatched.

ALL OF SKYRIM BELONGS TO ME.

I am so over-encumbered with stolen goods. Where the Thieve's Guild at?
2 people liked this post: Ahluk, Big Macintosh
  #204 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Sheikah
Steam ID: tiny_ekamon
View Posts: 528

Suppose you'll need to be caught first like in Oblivion - unless that Dunmer corner club in Windhelm is like the corner clubs in Morrowind. For the record, I couldn't find that place.

I guess I've been trying to get my Imperial to play like a Nightblade. Not the best race to choose I think (perhaps Argonian would have been better), but I was going for aesthetics. They've definitely made this more geared towards magic users than melee users than Oblivion though, have not tried playing as stealth properly however. That is, I've been trying to but I wind up sneaking and stealing very rarely. I did have some hired thugs attack me. Looted a letter from one of their corpses which stated that an adept something-a-rather had hired them to attack me. Found that kinda funny, as I had only stolen from a temple beforehand. Psycho priests. :XD: I miss the Oblivon lockpick minigame, found the FO3 style much harder but I guess it's respectively much more realistic.

Skyrim so far seems like Oblivion (with the engine and gameplay closer towards FO3) + all the popular, well done mods like Duke Patrick's, Living Economy, CM partners, Natural Weather (and harvest containers) and TNR for example. I mean, I don't mean that negatively, but it seems like they certainly took some inspiration from them. Still has a Morrowind vibe either way.

Found the remastered Morrowind track that was bugging the hell out of me.
Last Edited by eeks; 11-11-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
2 people liked this post: Ahluk, Tabby
  #205 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,397

Just heard a hilarious piece of NPC dialogue from a guard.

We had just encountered a random dragon, and managed to kill it with the assistance of a town guard. I'm still fairly early on in the game, main-quest wise.

His reaction, whilst standing next to the dragon's corpse? "I heard a dragon was spotted near Whiterun. How could anyone bring down such a terrible beast?"

You can, buddy. You can.
2 people liked this post: Ahluk, Janus
  #206 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,006

So, honest opinions people, is this as mediocre as Oblivion was? A wide-open world with about as much depth as a teaspoon? :/.

I guess what I want to know is this:
How strong is the plot?
Is there any actual point to doing any side-quests, or is it just MMO-lite like every task in Oblivion was?
Is exploring actually any fun, or does the entire world just look the same, ala Oblivion?
Are the characters well-written?
Do NPCs now have more than two lines of dialogue that they endlessly repeat?
Does thieving involve more than just having high skills and clicking on stuff?
Is magic more than having high casting skills and clicking once?
Does combat involve anything more than lots of clicking?

In essence: Is this closer to Morrowind/Shivering Isles, or Oblivion/Fallout 3? 'Cause if it's the latter I'll save my money.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 11-11-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #207 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
View Posts: 1,873

John: I've been playing it at my friend's house ever since it came out and I honestly can't say there are any substantial and exciting changes that set it apart from Oblivion. Just my opinion, though.
Last Edited by tallgeese; 11-11-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #208 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM
The ZU Paladin
Send a message via AIM to Janus Send a message via Skype™ to Janus
Steam ID: Janus3003
View Posts: 6,142

It reminds me a lot of Oblivion, too, but
1) I've only played a few hours so far.
2) I haven't played much of Morrowind at all, so I can't make an accurate comparison.
  #209 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Segfault
View Posts: 1,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
So, honest opinions people, is this as mediocre as Oblivion was? A wide-open world with about as much depth as a teaspoon? :/.

How strong is the plot? There's a plot?
Is there any actual point to doing any side-quests, or is it just MMO-lite like every task in Oblivion was? Do quest->get reward. Same old.
Is exploring actually any fun, or does the entire world just look the same, ala Oblivion? Improved looks, less generic, but still a little... empty.
Are the characters well-written? Mixed bag, though the ones that stand out are usually bad ones rather than good ones. The very first thing in the game involves you in a carriage with a 0% credibility character
Do NPCs now have more than two lines of dialogue that they endlessly repeat? They do, and this is pretty nice actually. Although guards will begin repeating themselves.
Does thieving involve more than just having high weapon skills and clicking on stuff?Lock picking is once again a minigame, the rest is clicking.
Is magic more than having high casting skills and clicking once?Magic is improved a lot, and a lot of them are "continuous" spells (like a flamethrower rather than a flame ball)
All in all it feels like... Oblivion HD. It suffers from a lot of the exact same problems, which I find to be ridiculous. Some of the improvements are nice, like the level up scheme, and the whole two hand combat stuff, but if you weren't a fan of the previous game, I wouldn't be able to recommend Skyrim. The game engine, whilst improved, still kind of sucks by today's standards. And the PC version feels like a port of the console version.
  #210 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 22,006

I'm hearin' that the PC port is absolutely horrendous, so even if the game turns out to be fun I'll be holding off on getting it.

I mean, why get a Bethesda game for a console? They're usually not much fun without mods anyways.

Public Key ID: 057420A1
2 people liked this post: Andross, insaney
  #211 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Disembodied Loaf Disembodied Loaf is a male United States Disembodied Loaf is offline
View Posts: 1,375

If the PC version is horrendous and the XBox version has worse graphics, how is the PS3 version?
  #212 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 98

Morrowind was my life for a couple of years back in the day. definitely one of my all time favs. I'm still just not really sure about Skyrim. Between classes and my reading and the new Zelda coming out I just don't see myself having a lot of time to put in it... I mean, just.. if it weren't for the new zelda though I'd probably be getting it but there's no point in me getting it now if I'm only gonna play a handful of hours before moving on to something else. maybe over christmas break or something - see how it fares then
  #213 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

How strong is the plot? I'd say it's too early to really know. There is a bit of "destined Hero" thing going on, but it hasn't struck me as being quite so generic like it was in Oblivion
Is there any actual point to doing any side-quests, or is it just MMO-lite like every task in Oblivion was?There's not much difference from the ones I've done, but what else were you expecting? It is worth noting that I did a sidequest in the first village that had me clearing out some ruins. As it happens you're supposed to go back to those ruins later on to get an item. I already had it thanks to that sidequest so I didn't have to backtrack. maybe there will be more instances like that
Is exploring actually any fun, or does the entire world just look the same, ala Oblivion? I'm having fun looking for the birthsign stones. I finally found the one I wanted and then got my ass handed to me by a necromancer that was hiding near-by so I had to re-think how I was going to get to the stone. I think the best way to describe the overall look of the world is like the northern areas of oblivion but with better mountains. there are also plenty of rivers and lakes that look good to start with, but look wonderful if you do some graphical tweaks in the ini file to make the water more reflective
Are the characters well-written?i haven't found any truly bad ones yet
Do NPCs now have more than two lines of dialogue that they endlessly repeat? yup
Does thieving involve more than just having high skills and clicking on stuff?haven't really tried this out yet
Is magic more than having high casting skills and clicking once? It's definitely better. being able to combine spells makes fighting rather interesting
Does combat involve anything more than lots of clicking?not really

In essence: Is this closer to Morrowind/Shivering Isles, or Oblivion/Fallout 3? 'Cause if it's the latter I'll save my money.It's a tough comparison to make, it plays a lot like oblivion, but it has some of the unique environments that morrowind had when it comes to the towns and wildlife you encounter
as for the quality of the PC version, I don't think it's bad at all. Once I changed the camera sensitivity, the controls felt perfectly natural. My only complaint is that the menus were definitely desinged with consoles in mind. They were kind of awkward to navigate at first but not hard to get used to. hopefully, if Bethesda is true to their word we should be getting a more PC-friendly interface and high res textures later on, and if not there will certainly be mods for those things. I'd say you couldn't go wrong with getting Skyrim now, but I certainly wouldn't blame you for waiting until mods/various improvements are released.
  #214 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Love yourself.

View Posts: 9,295

So I pre-ordered and paid extra for 'get it on 11/11/11' from Amazon but it didn't arrive today. Raging, I could have gotten it from a local store or something. Should have it tomorrow.

didfoogjkmlds;;;zvxkc;;;;;;;tj[orkpads]lk[ofijpqewmof,pdiu

#215 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Der soldat allein ist der freie mann
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
Steam ID: pzkpfw_iv
View Posts: 6,105

If you paid extra for it to arrive today and it didn't, you could probably get that money back.

Also, I was hit by a giant and flew like 200 feet into the air...is that a bug?
  #216 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 04:46 PM
tell me what it takes to be number one
View Posts: 16,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKANG View Post
So I pre-ordered and paid extra for 'get it on 11/11/11' from Amazon but it didn't arrive today. Raging, I could have gotten it from a local store or something. Should have it tomorrow.

I have come to expect to never get something the day I'm told I would if it's coming through the mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
If you paid extra for it to arrive today and it didn't, you could probably get that money back.

Exact same thing happened to me. Funniest goddamn thing I've ever seen
  #217 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
I've seen something like that. I stumbled across two mammoths when I was out exploring only to see one of them get inexplicably catapulted straight up into the air and then fall to it's death. Dammit Bethesda.
Last Edited by Stuit; 11-11-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
1 person liked this post: Tabby
  #218 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Segfault
View Posts: 1,814

My stolen horses keep shooting off across the air as soon as I dismount! And then the drop often kills them ;_;
  #219 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,177

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKANG View Post

This is my position as well for today. You and me man...
  #220 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
GH3O ▲SS
View Posts: 1,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disembodied Loaf View Post
If the PC version is horrendous and the XBox version has worse graphics, how is the PS3 version?
The graphics are horrible on the PS3, Skyrim reminds me of a PS2 game compared to most PS3 games

Tags
addiction, cocaine, digital drugs, dovakin, heroin, how do i stop playing, methamphetamine, oblivion, skyrim, the elder scrolls