Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
KingOfHeart KingOfHeart is offline
King Of Hyrule
Join Date: Dec 2005
View Posts: 3,332
Question Will they ever make roms legal?

I'm not talking about the latest generation, and not the last generation either. Games for the NES, and SNES become harder and harder to find. You also need to find a working system. So what do you do when you want to play these old school games legally?

Well you either got to go across the country hoping to find it cheap or hope to find it on e-bay. Otherwise your pretty much screwed.
True you can download some games through Nintendo, but it doesn't have that classic feeling unless if your playing it on a NES/SNES... and you can only choose from a small list.

So come on Nintendo, allow some of these roms to be legal, you to Sega, and other old time companies.
__________________
Last Edited by KingOfHeart; 10-06-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM
1984 1984 is a male United States 1984 is offline
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
Steam ID: nikohesus
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 'merica
View Posts: 6,436
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Roms are legal, they use roms to make virtual console games and some game collections.

I know what you mean though, and I don't think so. They'll keep rereleasing them so you'll be obliged to purchase.
Last Edited by 1984; 10-04-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Justin Justin is a male Oman Justin is offline
Battle routine, set! Execute!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England
View Posts: 4,661
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

I'll assume that you mean emulations.

In this case, I'll answer your question with another question. Will they ever let me walk into a supermarket, and just take a 2 liter of soda?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Ahluk Ahluk is a male United States Ahluk is offline
"Once you go Inuit, you're always into it."
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahluk
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Elysion
View Posts: 7,206
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

I wish that they would. Most of my old NES/SNES games no longer work, and most of the games are rare nowadays.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
John John is a male Canada John is offline
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,184
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Nope. Why should they? Legalizing 3rd-party copies of old games weakens the case for copying of current games being illegal. What's more, the big companies gain nothing from doing so, and potentially lose future profits from re-releasing old titles.

Changing the law would only hurt video game producers (even if only in very small ways) and would provide them with absolutely no benefit, so why on earth would they do so?
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Fyreball Fyreball is a male United States Fyreball is offline
Holder of the Triforce of Randomness!
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a house!
View Posts: 543
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

there not legal???? *grabs ammo,gun and makes a bunker* curse you goldedronn....you made me a fugitive telling me about that rom...and curse this person in real life that told me to download emulators...
and curse coolrom for making me a romm addict....and curse you for telling my they are illegal...
__________________
FYREBALL

Oktaku/Blackbelt/Hacker/Student/Gamer/Human. Nuff said.

So....want some boredom? You can change lives with me and experience one life of boredom for free!

Unashamed Christian....ok?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Pietro Pietro is a male Canada Pietro is offline
Timecube is life
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
View Posts: 9,187
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
In this case, I'll answer your question with another question. Will they ever let me walk into a supermarket, and just take a 2 liter of soda?
Both situations aren't comparable.

I believe that eventually internet piracy will be legal, however there will be a levy on all devices with a digital storage capacity. Companies know that they can't stop piracy and its not cost effective to go after violators (especially with the maximum judgement in a case regarding personal use piracy being dropped to $5000 in Canada), so they'll seek to do the next best thing (tax the devices we use for piracy.) The Canadian musical industry already sought this remedy years ago, other industries will follow suit.

Is it the best solution, definitely not, but I think it'll happen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
KingOfHeart KingOfHeart is offline
King Of Hyrule
Join Date: Dec 2005
View Posts: 3,332
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

NOt all roms should be legal. Just really old games that no one cares about anymore.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Ahluk Ahluk is a male United States Ahluk is offline
"Once you go Inuit, you're always into it."
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahluk
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Elysion
View Posts: 7,206
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

But what about the games that people do care about??

I don't think I'd play games I really don't care about
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM
8bit 8bit is a male United Nations 8bit is offline
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
View Posts: 8,349
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Giant View Post
I'll assume that you mean emulations.

In this case, I'll answer your question with another question. Will they ever let me walk into a supermarket, and just take a 2 liter of soda?
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A 2 LITER OF SODA
__________________
Don't trust the police.
No justice; no peace.
Last Edited by 8bit; 10-04-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Justin Justin is a male Oman Justin is offline
Battle routine, set! Execute!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England
View Posts: 4,661
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
Both situations aren't comparable.
I fail to see how they can't be comparible in any way. Stealing a 2 liter of soda means that whoever produced it aren't getting that profit.

Obtaining a game through emulators and such means that whoever produced the game aren't getting a profit for their work either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
8bit 8bit is a male United Nations 8bit is offline
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
View Posts: 8,349
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Giant View Post
I fail to see how they can't be comparible in any way. Stealing a 2 liter of soda means that whoever produced it aren't getting that profit.

Obtaining a game through emulators and such means that whoever produced the game aren't getting a profit for their work either.
__________________
Don't trust the police.
No justice; no peace.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
pj777 pj777 is a male United States pj777 is offline
But Vegeta, Trix are for kids
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
View Posts: 979
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A 2 LITER OF SODA
You know what he means.

Anyways, no. While an original copy may be hard to find, Nintendo still sells many of their older games on virtual console and whatnot, and Microsoft sells older games (I know Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie is one of them) through Xbox Live. It isn't like they've completely disappeared off of stores, they just have digital copies available for download.
__________________
Born to fight
Trained to kill
Ready to die
But never will


Wolf Pack Pride
Last Edited by pj777; 10-04-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
8bit 8bit is a male United Nations 8bit is offline
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
View Posts: 8,349
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj777 View Post
You know what he means.
Yes, I did, which is why I pointed out the fault in his tired and oft-referenced argument with a tired and oft-referenced response.
__________________
Don't trust the police.
No justice; no peace.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
John John is a male Canada John is offline
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,184
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

I don't think anyone disputes that there is a difference between theft and digital piracy.

Whether the difference is in any way meaningful, however, is another matter.
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Justin Justin is a male Oman Justin is offline
Battle routine, set! Execute!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England
View Posts: 4,661
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
I might be dense tonight, but I don't get it. Explain?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
1984 1984 is a male United States 1984 is offline
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
Steam ID: nikohesus
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 'merica
View Posts: 6,436
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Stealing means taking the product and using it, and the company makes no money, piracy means reselling and redistributing said product for the pirate's profit, while the company still makes no money.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Justin Justin is a male Oman Justin is offline
Battle routine, set! Execute!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England
View Posts: 4,661
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohesus View Post
Stealing means taking the product and using it, and the company makes no money, piracy means reselling and redistributing said product for the pirate's profit, while the company still makes no money.
Would this not damage the company if, say, the game has just been released?

The OP may be talking about games that aren't able to deliver profit to their creators anymore, but even so, I'd say it should be illegal for someone to copy and distribute other people's works for their own profit. Assuming that the work is still protected by copyright.

My first point does seem to fit in a situation when a game has just been released. I guess the difference is that a 2 liter bottle of soda will always bring profit to the company, while a game may only have a certain window in which it delivers profit. My relation still works within that window. Correct?

EDIT: Also, from 8Bit's image, I am getting that while theft removes a game developer's product without giving pay in return, damaging the developer, piracy instead produces it's own copy, still leaving the copies on the shelves intact, leaving the potential for profit to the developer the same. The problem I see with that, though, is that if everyone is allowed to use ripped games, then less people would want to spend money on a game they could experience for free. Assuming that this piracy would exist for a certain game's entire lifespan, (from release to current day) it would ultimately hurt the developer.
__________________
Last Edited by Justin; 10-04-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
8bit 8bit is a male United Nations 8bit is offline
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Carbondale, Illinois
View Posts: 8,349
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iron Giant View Post
Would this not damage the company if, say, the game has just been released?
No, because it does not cost the company to have their product pirated, as it does not deprive the company of anything. It only 'hurts' the company in so far that it 'hurts' the company if you choose not to purchase their product, so piracy might be considered equivalent to neither buying nor stealing a 2 liter of soda.

Quote:
The OP may be talking about games that aren't able to deliver profit to their creators anymore, but even so, I'd say it should be illegal for someone to copy and distribute other people's works for their own profit. Assuming that the work is still protected by copyright.
Online piracy is not generally done for profit. When it is, for profit pirates are undercut by freedom activists who distribute the information free of cost.

Quote:
The problem I see with that, though, is that if everyone is allowed to use ripped games, then less people would want to spend money on a game they could experience for free. Assuming that this piracy would exist for a certain game's entire lifespan, (from release to current day) it would ultimately hurt the developer.
This has been shown to be false experimentally. People pirate for a variety of reasons, though most people pirate because they can not afford to purchase the information in question. Of the people who pirate despite being able to afford the product, and who do not go on to purchase the product after pirating, their impacted is negated by the advertising generated by piracy. Ultimately, you end up with a much larger user-base, but an equivalent number of sales to what you could expect without piracy.
__________________
Don't trust the police.
No justice; no peace.
Last Edited by 8bit; 10-04-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Justin Justin is a male Oman Justin is offline
Battle routine, set! Execute!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New England
View Posts: 4,661
Re: Will they ever make roms legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
This has been shown to be false experimentally. People pirate for a variety of reasons, though most people pirate because they can not afford to purchase the information in question. Of the people who pirate despite being able to afford the product, and who do not go on to purchase the product after pirating, their impacted is negated by the advertising generated by piracy. Ultimately, you end up with a much larger user-base, but an equivalent number of sales to what you could expect without piracy.
If that is factually true, then my opinion has slanted. Would it not make sense to give the game developers themselves the choice whether or not to make their products legally able to be pirated or not? That is, if what you said has been proven. Or does the very nature of piracy being illegal somehow enable it to ultimately benefit developers, as you say (in the form of a larger consumer base, with a solid profit)?

I think it's reasonable that some companies would feel like piracy would detract attention from their own sales. Sort of like having competition that is using their own products, you know? Others, however might see it as some sort of investment, (as your description made it sound like).
__________________
Last Edited by Justin; 10-04-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -