Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 AM
ZU Ma5ter Mind
Send a message via AIM to Robin 125
View Posts: 637
Game's Console for Child with Autism

Christmas is fast approaching, my little half brother is now 7, he will be 8 in November. This year Iím contemplating getting him a games console to play on, as the family live in a secluded area with few outdoor activates for the kids.

He does however suffer from what I would refer to as Mild Autism, he can speak and communicate at a fair level for his age but his general intellect and hand eye coordination are below standard.

I was wondering if anyone on here knows or maybe has someone in their family who suffers with Autism and could give me some advice on the best games console/games.

"THE ONLY THINGS YOU REGRET IN LIFE, ARE THE THINGS YOU DONT DO"

#2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-23-2011, 12:06 PM
That's your share of the loot. Enough to shut you up, I hope.
Send a message via Skype™ to Silver
Steam ID: tw64 3DS ID: 2921-9179-3622

View Posts: 24,790
Re: Game's Console for Child with Autism

Well, I'm an Aspie myself, and I've never really had to take that into consideration in my career as a gamer. Back when I was a kid, I had an N64 and GBC and I played the same games everyone else played (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.).

What system do you think he'd prefer?

<Steam>
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

I've known an autistic kid for years and, honestly, she plays any and every piece of electronics she can get her hands on with no problem. She got interested in the games her siblings were playing, they gave her a controller, and she learned how to play at least so far as she was entertained by it.

I used to be annoyed when she'd play Smash on my team and constantly kill herself to be amused by the fountain of light and death shouts and how she'd seek out bob-ombs and kick them because the explosion was funny. And, really, that's no different from me beating up my P2 in Battletoads back in the day.

Nowadays she plays to win, same as I did as a teenager.

I honestly wouldn't give too much thought to the hardware being extra accessible. She started with an N64, and that controller's a puzzle in itself. You just want to make sure to buy beginner games because your brother is, in fact, a beginner. He's autistic but mostly he's just a kid.
Last Edited by TheGhostOfMandrag; 09-23-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Timecube is life
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
View Posts: 9,109

My brother is autistic and is able to play pretty much any video game. Its actually a pretty good tool for improving hand eye coordination regardless of which control scheme you use.

In choosing games and consoles the subject matter and pacing of the games are much more important than the easiness of controls because at least in the case of my brother if he's not enjoying himself within 5 minutes of starting he'll change game.

I'd either suggest a Wii or an XBox with Kinect, as they have more games that target his age group.