#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Spirit of Seasons
View Posts: 1,981
Vague Words, Buzzwords, and Idiot Words

Vague Words, Buzzwords, and Idiot Words
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Orwell
  • "innovative" — perhaps the mother of all videogame-related buzzwords.
  • "gameplay" — "The most important part of any game is the gameplay."
  • "graphics" — "Better technology = better graphics. Newer games = better graphics. Always."
  • "immersion" — this word literally means nothing.
  • "depth" — frequently confused with complexity and content.
  • "Adventure Game" — now a buzzword thanks to the Legend of Zelda franchise. When proper qualifiers are applied such as action-adventure (which is what Zelda is) or graphic adventure or text adventure it ceases to be a buzzword.
  • "replayability"
  • "content"
  • "Survival Horror" — this has no commonly accepted definition, and the phrase itself taken literally applies to a ridiculously broad spectrum of games. Most games are about survival (as in not dying) and many games feature horror elements. Is DOOM a Survival Horror game? Is Castlevania a survival horror game? Meaningless.
  • "rewarding" — Exactly tough enough that the person in question didn't find it easy. Alternative usage: meaningless.
  • "frustrating" — Tough enough that the person in question no longer finds the game rewarding. Alternative usage: see cheap, otherwise meaningless.
  • "quarter muncher" — An open admission of credit-feeding. Person who uses this term is to be immediately discredited. Exception: when an arcade game does require multiple credits to complete or otherwise enforces the use of continues, such as many Midway titles (Gauntlet especially).
  • "mindless" — Usually tossed at arcade games by RPG fans who think "I want to be a dragon" is an exercise in philosophy.
Discuss and add your own. Nice forum linked at the top, by the way. They ban idiots there. Infinite improvement over this place.
Last Edited by Sam; 03-20-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966
Re: Vague Words, Buzzwords, and Idiot Words

"Realism". This is the most annoying one for me. People somehow think that this makes games better (which it does in some cases). People also think that having to spend half your time in battle hiding behind cover and waiting for your health to regen makes for a better game because it's "more realistic" than faster-paced, run-and-gun type shooters.

"Polish". Saying "This game has an astounding amount of polish" is like saying "this game was completed on time for release!"

"Accessibility". Usually just means the game got dumbed down.
Last Edited by JC Denton; 03-20-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Cayenne Pepper Cayenne Pepper is a female United States Cayenne Pepper is offline
en de'ez ia! "Murica
View Posts: 4,250

I think "Adventure Game" and "Survival horror" are on there because they're specifically genres of games. Games today aren't just one Genre. They blend different ones for better game experience. With that said:

Genre: meaningless.

3DS FC
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Spirit of Seasons

No, they're there because they are not genres. Genres are incredibly useful in categorizing similar games. "adventure" and "survival horror" don't categorize similar games. They can be applied as you wish to an incredibly broad range of games. They are non-genres.

When someone describes something as an "adventure game", what does that tell you about the game? I imagine most of you, considering where we are, guys will say a Zelda-like game (coining: "zeldalike"), an action game with heavy puzzle content, but really it can be and is applied to pretty much any game.

"Survival horror" is a particularly weird one. "Horror" is a theme, tells you nothing about the mechanics of the game or how you play it, and as said in the OP most games are about "survival" (not dying). So I suppose it's for games in which survival is difficult, but they are just called difficult games. Is Resident Evil 4 a third person shooter on easy and a "survival horror" on hard? lol.
Last Edited by Sam; 03-20-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
No, they're there because they are not genres. Genres are incredibly useful in categorizing similar games. "adventure" and "survival horror" don't categorize similar games. They can be applied as you wish to an incredibly broad range of games. They are non-genres.

When someone describes something as an "adventure game", what does that tell you about the game? I imagine most of you, considering where we are, guys will say a Zelda-like game (coining: "zeldalike"), an action game with heavy puzzle content, but really it can be and is applied to pretty much any game.

"Survival horror" is a particularly weird one. "Horror" is a theme, tells you nothing about the mechanics of the game or how you play it, and as said in the OP most games are about "survival" (not dying). So I suppose it's for games in which survival is difficult, but they are just called difficult games. Is Resident Evil 4 an third person shooter on easy and a "survival horror" on hard? lol.
I've always thought "Survival horror" to be a strange term. Not all horror games focus on survival, yet they're all called survival horror. Why not just "horror"? Dead Space is a prime example- from a completely superficial aspect it looks like horror, and it wants to be a survival horror game very, very badly, but how can it call itself a survival horror game when it practically showers the player with money, medkits and ammo, especially right before the final boss?
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok, but dogs CAN look up.

View Posts: 14,567

Drop the survival. It's redundant. All games are survival.
But keep the horror.
While horror is a theme, and doesn't explain game mechanics like most genre's it does a good job of letting you know what you're in for.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 325

How about "art"? This is both a vague word and buzzword these days.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 05:36 PM
so ridoclus
Send a message via Skype™ to Jordan
Steam ID: deafas♥♥♥♥
View Posts: 10,868

I think immersion has plenty of meaning. There are definitely games I get more immersed in than others, and it's a pleasant experience.
3 people liked this post: JC Denton, Moosetracks, Rayburn
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
魔貫光殺砲!
View Posts: 6,503

It's sad to me that "Adventure game" doesn't automatically mean "puzzle games in the style first seen in the 1979 Atari game Adventure" like it used to and really still should. The lines that define gameplay-defined genres are blurring, which is a good thing... but there are still classic Zork or Maniac Mansion style games being made and the term adventure game was being used for these for a long time.

I agree with the redundancy of the word "survival" in the term "survival horror", but it is undeniably a genre: not a game genre, no, but a story and atmospheric genre. A semantic point, I guess... I mostly just take issue of labeling horror a "theme" when it is much more than just a theme. There really isn't a better word here other than genre.

In any case, I find most of the "buzz words" listed to be lazy and overused at worst, but only ever slightly aggravating. "Replayability" is one that annoys me a lot personally. "Inovative", "Immersion" and "Depth" have all lost any meaning, certainly. The rest all seem uselessly nit-picky.

"Gameplay" is useful because the word "game" has a very general definition, and will often refer to the packaged experience as a whole including art and story elements. There will obviously be situations where the part of the game that is actually a game needs to be separated conceptually.

I don't really like the term "graphics" either, but "Better technology = better graphics. Newer games = better graphics. Always." is an obviously false statement that sounds like it comes from someone who's tired of hearing the (admittedly silly) word "graphics" but can't come up with a good succinct reason why its bad. People interested in talking about the technical impressiveness of a game's visuals don't really have a better option to add to their vocabulary.

Can't really argue with the rest of them. They don't annoy me very much personally, but they do smack a bit of laziness.

#10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Spirit of Seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
I think immersion has plenty of meaning. There are definitely games I get more immersed in than others, and it's a pleasant experience.
Yeah, I would disagree that immersion has no meaning, though it's undeniably thrown around meaninglessly. It's just a word used to fill up space on the back of a box or in the closing words of a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIUM
I don't really like the term "graphics" either, but "Better technology = better graphics. Newer games = better graphics. Always." is an obviously false statement
I think what he is referring to is the idea the notion that a more technically impressive game (one that has "more graphics", lol) is automatically more aesthetically pleasing. A 3D game has "better graphics" then a 2D game, but that is not to say it is more attractive.
Last Edited by Sam; 03-20-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM
魔貫光殺砲!

If that's what he's saying, then I guess I agree... but that's an awfully clumsy way of saying that.

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Spirit of Seasons

That's just how I read it. It was in quote marks, remember: ""Better technology = better graphics. Newer games = better graphics. Always." isn't something he is claiming, it's something other people believe and he thinks is stupid.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 PM
魔貫光殺砲!

Oh... duh. I missed those quote marks. Fortunately my points don't really change.

#14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Spirit of Seasons

By the way, you say the words you didn't talk about "smack of laziness": I just wanted to point out that "gameplay" is by far the laziest of them all. "Good gameplay, "bad gameplay", what the hell are they talking about!? The level design, the mechanics? Sometimes it is used to refer to everything that isn't a cutscene, that is to say all all the parts of the game you are actually playing, sometimes it involves the visuals, sometimes it involves the sound (sometimes it has to, such as Guitar Hero et al), sometimes it doesn't. It's a vague, blurry term that critics turn to to avoid engaging in any actual criticism.
Last Edited by Sam; 03-20-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
View Posts: 4,901

"Original", and its sister-word "unoriginal".

One has come to be among the top ten choices for the Instant-Qualification-of-Video-Game words in game reviews. The other has become one of the most common complaints around games in certain franchises, like sequels.

What these words imply is that for games to truly thrive, they must be absolutely original. Unoriginality is frowned upon in a publix-sex-on-the-bus kind of way. If modern game critics had reviewed Super Mario Bros. 3 today, they would have slammed it for being an "unoriginal" sidescrolling 2D platformer that was all about saving the princess from the fire-breathing dragonturtlething, just as Super Mario Bros. before it.

It communicates the same issue as the word "innovation", but I've found "original" and "unoriginal" to be more commonly used.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Jiro
View Posts: 11,925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty View Post
All games are survival.
Mario Paint is about survival? Or how about Kirby's Epic Yarn?
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Spirit of Seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke
How about "art"? This is both a vague word and buzzword these days.
Don't even get me started... ugh.

Quote:
"Original", and its sister-word "unoriginal".
Yeah, that's a pretty good one. You get these ridiculous situations where a game will get, say, 9/10 from a critic, and a sequel will be released a few months later with slightly sharper character models, fewer bugs, and otherwise more the same thing and get 7/10. Where did those extra two points go, then, if it's petty much the same game but better? Well, of course, it isn't "original" now, and only original games can be classed as great.

I wonder if these people ever get tired of spewing bull****.
Last Edited by Sam; 03-20-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Ok, but dogs CAN look up.

View Posts: 14,567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodles of Noodles View Post
Mario Paint is about survival? Or how about Kirby's Epic Yarn?
I don't know if you're giving me attitude or not, so forgive me if you meant nothing by it. But there's no need for the attitude.

Not all games, but a large majority. I said "all" assuming people would understand I would know something like Wii fit would be an exception. All was just a quicker way to say " a large majority of games nowadays."
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 PM
#notallmen

View Posts: 5,949

Funny how I usually use a lot of those terms when trying to get a point across. Does sometimes hurt to type **** like "gameplay" and "immersion."
It's typical gamer jargon that you see in message boards and gaming critic sites. They usually get the point across, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
"Accessibility". Usually just means the game got dumbed down.
Pretty sure I recently asked if CvM3 was more "accessible." I meant just that without thinking about it much, wow.
Last Edited by IGNIS; 03-20-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
魔貫光殺砲!

Even if a sequel could have been a marginally better experience if played first it will obviously suffer from being played second, if it isn't a different enough experience. Doesn't seem like such a bull**** concept to me.