Advertisement

View Poll Results: Whichwhichwhich!?!?
Hitmonlee! 64 31.68%
Hitmonchan! 30 14.85%
Hitmontop! 36 17.82%
Your mother! 72 35.64%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#861 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,034
Re: |OT| Pokemon (General): What's this about Pokemon 2?

I have no idea why there's such outrage over Volume II. #FirstWorldProblems.

I actually like the idea of a direct sequel. I literally just said a few days ago what Pokémon needs to do is stop another slapdash game with 100+ [poorly] new designed monsters and simply extend one generation with a Part 2 sort of premise with the same monsters. So I'm pretty thrilled.

Gen II's GS are by the majority held as the finest entries in the series - even a poll on ZU states as such. So it's good to see the series take a leaf out of that book.

I still am unable to Game Sync properly, and after sending a vert detailed support message to the correct place on the PGL site, I got a reply stating "You must make sure you have internet access" so I then complained to the official nintendo site, which then replied "Sorry I don't know anything about Holland."

But research has shown there are tons of people with these issues. Lol designing a major element of the game that gives everyone hell. Shame on you and your poor customer services, Nintendo.

On another note; Does anyone have a Power Lens, Bracer and Anklet in Gen V I could borrow?
  #862 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Mogma
View Posts: 152

^ Agreed about direct sequel liking. I prefer this over "Grey"

and why are people so angry at it not being a 3DS exclusive?. It was 100% certain the follow up to B&W wouldn't be a 3DS exclusive yet. It wouldn't make sense.

The next, new generation will most likely be on the 3DS.
Last Edited by BennyLoz; 02-27-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason:
  #863 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
gone with the ghost train
View Posts: 4,946

For it being a DS game, some mess will be had due to the action replay that any average player can tinker with. Oh well.
  #864 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
View Posts: 4,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Gen 2 introduced genders, breeding, held items, the Sp Att/Sp Def split, 100 new pokémon, 2 new pokémon types, happiness, new attacks, new HMs allowing for new ways to explore, weather conditions, time of day, and more. None of which would have been possible if they had had to have proper battling compatibility with Gen 1. Just the introduction of any one of these, like breeding, would have completely changed the nature of the game forever. The introduction of all of them is the reason why Gen 2 is the most popular.

Gen 3 introduced abilities, berries, 130-ish new pokémon, new attacks, new HMs, double battles, forms, and more. Again: not possible if they had considered compatibility. The introduction of abilities ALONE changed the game drastically. Wobbuffet wasn't even really a contender until he got Shadow Tag.

Gen 4 made moves physical or special on an individual basis and not on the basis of type, introduced new abilities, 110-ish new pokémon, new attacks, Global Wifi battling and trading, etc. The physical/special redistribution entirely changed the gameplan for many pokémon. Beforehand, there were many pokémon who had great stats but their movepool didn't allow them to avail of them and STAB at the same time.

Gen 5 has introduced very little by way of new mechanics save for the Dream World and the unpopular rotation battles/triple battles, which is why it's been relatively disappointing.
Of all those, I concur that held items and abilities also added a lot to the dynamics of the game in the same way that the two new types did.

But the mechanics have always stayed true to their core. All these things you mention are indeed notable additions, but that's also all they are - additions. The mechanics of the game are still the same they've always been - catching, training, battling and trading Pokémon. Elements like breeding and abilities are only enhancements made to these mechanics, they never changed any of them.

I'll be the first to say that the mechanics of Pokémon have certainly gotten better, that's definitely true, but they're still the same mechanics.

Quote:
Yes it will, but the kind of content that they usually introduce for sequels/third editions is usually only cosmetic and gimmicky and gets abandoned in the next gen.
Not that I neccessarily agree with the "gimmicky" part, but so what? Pokémon Yellow was entirely based around cosmetic and "gimmicky" updates from Red and Blue, and it turned out pretty well.

Quote:
In the cases of most of those games (Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold and SoulSilver), they included pokémon that had, since Gen 2 was utterly incompatible with Gen 3, been unobtainable or only obtainable through the GameCube games or store events. People were re-catching the Smeargles and Charizards that hadn't been available in Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond or Pearl.
Well, to be honest only Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi were still unavailable by ordinary means when Emerald finally came along, and that's a number I can count on one hand. And HeartGold/SoulSilver only gave us two of those.

Mind you, I'm glad we got HeartGold and SoulSilver, but that's kinda my point; even if they didn't really have anything groundbreaking about them, even if they didn't really open up for a whole bunch of previously unobtainable Pokémon like FireRed and LeafGreen did, they were still welcomed and enjoyed. Above all, they were convenient and comfortable.

Maybe that's also something that can make for worthwhile Pokémon games.

Quote:
Crystal, Emerald and Platinum succeeded because they were building on games which had already, and because they were individual games in which you got the legendaries from both other games (meaning that a lot of people held off getting the other ones in order to get these "definitive versions". B&W1 barely had enough new about them to warrant ONE extra version, let alone two. They also all pushed the envelope in terms of graphics (Crystal and Emerald were both the only versions of their Gens to have animated pokémon sprites, and Platinum went kinda 3D when you ventured into Giratina's world). One would assume that if Nintendo were going to try and push the graphics on B&W2, they'd, y'know, use the 3DS.
This part is just about entirely subjective, and I need to remind you once again that neither you or I know anything about this game except that there are two new formes for Kyurem based on Zekrom and Reshiram. We don't know what is going to change from Black and White, what's going to stay the same, which Pokémon will become available, what Pokémon will become available, and so on. Given the trend that we've seen with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum, I think we'll get something much more worthwhile than just a new storyline and other trainers to fight, and the fact that they're making it a direct sequel - and another duo, at that - is enough to tell that this is already beyond traditional boundaries.

On the subject of graphical improvement, I think Black and White covered most of that by having sprites that would now constantly move, and a constant "3D" world that puts Giratina's world to shame. They honestly don't need to push it any further. That'd just be progress for progress' sake, and that alone does not warrant the jump to 3DS hardware which would cost a lot more and put a big wrench in that whole compatibility thing that's oh so important for games like these.
  #865 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM
**** YEAH!
Send a message via Skype™ to America
Steam ID: colton_o_weekly
View Posts: 1,299

I really wish there was some way that you could take your team from Black or White and directly transfer it to Black 2 or White 2, and then after doing so you could have it start with a higher difficulty adjusted for you starting with your team form the first game.

I doubt they'll do that, but it'd be cool if they did that because then it could star the protagonists from B&W.
  #866 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Think different.
Steam ID: barker09 Wii U ID: Amazin-Spidey
View Posts: 7,876

Black and White 2.

First off I am a little disappointed that the game is being made for the DS, and are not exclusively 3DS titles. I'm still waiting for a fully fledged out 3DS Pokemon experience, and I was hoping B&W2 would bring me that, but not quite.

Despite that though, I really hope we get a new region (or expand upon the region more), be able to transfer our parties over from B&W, some new Pokemon that will lead us into Gen6 (highly doubt that), or be able to travel back to an older region (!!!!!!!).

Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!
  #867 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Think different.

Black and White 2.

First off I am a little disappointed that the game is being made for the DS, and are not exclusively 3DS titles. I'm still waiting for a fully fledged out 3DS Pokemon experience, and I was hoping B&W2 would bring me that, but not quite.

Despite that though, I really hope we get a new region (or expand upon the region more), be able to transfer our parties over from B&W, some new Pokemon that will lead us into Gen6 (highly doubt that), or be able to travel back to an older region (!!!!!!!).

Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!
  #868 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 AM
Think different.

❤❤❤❤ YEAH CAUGHT KYUREM!

#869 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 AM
CONSTANT VIGILANCE
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Master Send a message via Skype™ to Abyss Master
Steam ID: AbyssMaster91 Wii U ID: TomOlav
View Posts: 4,878

Quote:
Fine. Enhancements to the mechanics, if that's a phrasing you prefer. But enhancements that aren't possible if you want backwards compatibility. And B&W2, presumably, do.
Nor do they need to. Again, this is nothing different from Yellow, Crystal, Emerald or Platinum, all games that needed to be compatible with their own generations and thus couldn't make any significant enhancements to the mechanics.

Quote:
>>Implying that the freshness and popularity of the new cartoon had nothing to do with it, nor the fact that the franchise was new and many people hadn't gotten a copy yet
Not a chance. While the anime certainly helped create interest for Yellow, it had nothing - nothing - to do with Yellow's quality as a video game. Yet Yellow is fondly remembered and revered among the Pokémon games, on par with the Gen II games even. And yes, I know it's nostalgia, but nostalgia exists for a reason.

Quote:
Actually it gave all 3 (Mew via WFC event - IIRC), but yeah.
The whole point was that we weren't counting event Pokémon. If we did, all Pokémon from Generation I and II had become available again by the time Emerald came along.

Quote:
The cover pokémon are alternate forms of a legendary from the current gen, so it's a safe bet it'll still be Gen 5.
Yes, I think that's clear to all parts involved.

Quote:
Assuming they remain compatible with B&W1, that means no new pokémon, no new attacks, no new abilities, no new items, no new battle mechanics. Oh, I mean no "enhanced" battle mechanics, my apologies. Not without making them incompatible.
Uhuh. Now refer back to my examples of Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold and SoulSilver and how this was never a problem with those games.

Quote:
What they CAN have:
Gimmicky minigames like poffin baking or pokémon musicals, but probably not actually either of those, since minigames are usually (I would say always, but I'm sure there's ONE exception I've forgotten) discarded when new games are made.
New story (I haven't cared about the story since Gen 2 or perhaps earlier)
Better graphics (but not much better since it's still the DS)
Maybe they'll get REALLY innovative and give the pokémon proper cries instead of those 8-bit sounds they've had since Gen 1. Ooooooooh, fancy. I've always wanted to hear Bulbasaur say "Bulba Saur". >_>
How about new locations? New challenges? New ways to obtain Pokémon? These are all things that have been done before, and that's just off the top of my head.

Quote:
Why would it hamper compatibility?
I don't know the exact specifics, but that said I've never heard of a case where games from two different generations of hardware could communicate with one another. The 3DS at best is capable of emulating the DS, but it's never been shown that 3DS games are able to use these capabilities. Would a 3DS Pokémon game be able to communicate with a DS through WiFi? Would a DS game be able to communicate to a 3DS game in the same way?

Gen II was able to communicate with Gen I because they were from the same generation of hardware. They were both on the Game Boy. A rough equivalent of these sequels being made for the 3DS would be if Gen II had been made for the Game Boy Advance.

Suffice to say, communication between the games would be much more problematic, if not impossible.
  #870 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss Master View Post
The whole point was that we weren't counting event Pokémon. If we did, all Pokémon from Generation I and II had become available again by the time Emerald came along.
Not counting event Pokemon? Then not only does that mean no Mew & Celebi, but also no Deoxys or Jirachi. If we add in everything up to the end of the fourth generation, there's also no Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin or Arceus either.

Sure you said only Generations 1 & 2, but since you seem to be counting from Emerald and not Crystal, Deoxys & Jirachi are still relevant.
  #871 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 AM
SeriousDiscussion

Quote:
I still am unable to Game Sync properly, and after sending a very detailed support message to the correct place on the PGL site, I got a reply stating "You must make sure you have internet access" so I then complained to the official nintendo site, which then replied "Sorry I don't know anything about Holland."

But research has shown there are tons of people with these issues. Lol designing a major element of the game that gives everyone hell. Shame on you and your poor customer services, Nintendo.

On another note; Does anyone have a Power Lens, Bracer and Anklet in Gen V I could borrow?

__

Sorry for the repetition, I just figured it was lost with the BW2 discussion. <:3
  #872 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 AM
SeriousDiscussion

Alas no, though with the ease that roaming monsters can be found, I can hopefully catch one for you.

Alternatively, I have both Reshiram and Zekrom. And a Mewtwo (though could you please not train them? ) that you're welcome to borrow.
  #873 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 AM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,169

Quote:
The crux of the issue is that in the cases of Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum, they didn't try to sell us TWO new games with the same pokémon as what was in the main pair, and in the cases of FR, LG, HG and SS, they had nostalgia and previously difficult-to-get pokémon on their side.

Unless B2 and W2 are actually remakes of Ruby and Sapphire in disguise, they'll be hard-pressed to find a reason why I'd care. And even then, I still probably wouldn't.
Odds are good that the point of these new games is for the extra plot, not the Pokemon. This has tended to be the case with each of the games Yellow, Crystal, Emerald & Platinum anyway, although I suspect this is meant to be to greater degree than any of these previous games.

That said, I have no intention to buy these either.
1 person liked this post: Bravo
  #874 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Addicted to your electricity
Send a message via Skype™ to EmptyStar

View Posts: 2,794

Well, I have a Power Anklet.
I don't need anything in return, but I will be needing it back.
=)

#875 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
SeriousDiscussion

Quote:
I only need the Thundurus to add it to my pokédex and to access Landorus.

But Zekrom would do as well, I suppose.

I'll let you know tonight if I have those items.
Cools. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyStar View Post
Well, I have a Power Anklet.
I don't need anything in return, but I will be needing it back.
=)
Sounds great!
Thanks so much!
I only need them to help EV train, then I'll give it back.

I'll PM you guys my Friend code later.
  #876 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Daccus Illuminatus Misericors
Steam ID: nikohesus
View Posts: 6,436

|OT| Pokemon (General): 2 Black 2 White
  #877 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Johnny Sokko Johnny Sokko is a male United States Johnny Sokko is offline
Hylian
View Posts: 609

Hey, I want to do a topic on changing Pokemon type effectiveness. Should I post it on this thread or a new one altogether?
  #878 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM

View Posts: 10,255

Feel free to post it in this thread - it's meant to be for Pokemon discussion in general, not solely Black 2 and White 2.
  #879 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Hylian

Re-evaluating Pokemon Type Effectiveness

Remember how type effectiveness and two new types were changed from Gen I to Gen II, mostly to balance things out? Well, I think it’s time for that to happen again. Some types are just too terrible offensively or defensively, and too many Pokemon with good stats are crippled by bad typing. Here are some changes in type effectiveness I’d like to see.

1) Make poison attacks super effective against bug types again, like in Gen I. First, it makes perfect sense, since bugs are killed by pesticides and such, and second, it’s pretty necessary seeing how much poison sucks as an attack type.

2) Make steel attacks super effective against grass types. Steel axes can cut down trees and scythes can cut grasses and other plants down. This should make steel attacks a little better than their current, underpowered state.

3) Make steel neutral against steel. Metal can damage metal pretty significantly, like a warhammer hitting armor or a shield. Also, if rock doesn’t resist rock, then steel shouldn’t resist steel.

4) Make ice attacks neutral against water types. Why should water resist ice? Watery creatures like Vaporeon or Milotic can get frozen by ice, while fish can die if the water temperature is too low. That said, ice shouldn’t be super effective against water because water has a high specific heat and doesn’t freeze THAT easily.

5) Make ice types resist water attacks. Using Water Pulse or Surf against an icy monster like Regice or Cryogonal is not going to be very effective; the water will hit its body and crystalize into ice. Changing this will also alleviate the crappiness of ice as a defensive type just a bit.

6.) Make bug attacks neutral against fighting. I see why fighting attacks would have a hard time landing on tiny, nimble bugs, but why are bug attacks less effective on fighting types? A bug type move like Bug Bite or Leech Life should have no problem with hurting Machamp or Conkeldurr.
7.) Make rock types resist bug attacks. Unlike fighting types, rock types have a good reason to resist bug attacks. They are very hard to get inside or infest, and would resist moves like Bug Bite and Leech Life by their natural toughness. This will also help balance things out a bit, because despite having defense oriented stats, the rock typing is rather embarrassing defensively.
8.) Introduce the wind type. No, it’s not the same as flying type, although many flying types would become wind types, such as the Kami trio, Drifblim, Altaria, Mantine, and Rayquaza. Flying types would be mostly birds, bats, or flying insects after the wind type is introduced. Wind type moves would include Silver Wind, Hurricane, Gust, and Air Slash, while flying type moves would be include Brave Bird, Drill Peck, FeatherDance, and of course Fly.
Wind type attacks would be super effective against fire, flying, bug, and ground, and not very effective against grass (because they are well rooted), rock and steel (because both are very heavy), and wind.
Wind type Pokemon would resist fire and ice (air can tolerate large changes in temperature without changing state), flying, and wind, and they would be immune to ground. They would be weak against grass (imagine trees blocking the wind and plants absorbing air to photosynthesize) and electric (for being at a high altitude).
Summary:
(attack type, defense type) (>: x2) (<: x1/2) (=: x1) (!=: x0)
Poison > Bug
Bug = Fighting, Bug < Rock
Steel > Grass, Steel = Steel
Ice = Water
Water < Ice
Wind > Fire, Wind > Flying, Wind > Bug, Wind > Ground
Wind < Grass, Wind < Rock, Wind < Steel, Wind < Wind
Fire < Wind, Ice < Wind, Flying < Wind, Wind < Wind, Ground != Wind
Grass > Wind, Electric > Wind
  #880 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Hylian

Re-evaluating Pokemon Type Effectiveness

Remember how type effectiveness and two new types were changed from Gen I to Gen II, mostly to balance things out? Well, I think it’s time for that to happen again. Some types are just too terrible offensively or defensively, and too many Pokemon with good stats are crippled by bad typing. Here are some changes in type effectiveness I’d like to see.

1) Make poison attacks super effective against bug types again, like in Gen I. First, it makes perfect sense, since bugs are killed by pesticides and such, and second, it’s pretty necessary seeing how much poison sucks as an attack type.

2) Make steel attacks super effective against grass types. Steel axes can cut down trees and scythes can cut grasses and other plants down. This should make steel attacks a little better than their current, underpowered state.

3) Make steel neutral against steel. Metal can damage metal pretty significantly, like a warhammer hitting armor or a shield. Also, if rock doesn’t resist rock, then steel shouldn’t resist steel.

4) Make ice attacks neutral against water types. Why should water resist ice? Watery creatures like Vaporeon or Milotic can get frozen by ice, while fish can die if the water temperature is too low. That said, ice shouldn’t be super effective against water because water has a high specific heat and doesn’t freeze THAT easily.

5) Make ice types resist water attacks. Using Water Pulse or Surf against an icy monster like Regice or Cryogonal is not going to be very effective; the water will hit its body and crystalize into ice. Changing this will also alleviate the crappiness of ice as a defensive type just a bit.

6.) Make bug attacks neutral against fighting. I see why fighting attacks would have a hard time landing on tiny, nimble bugs, but why are bug attacks less effective on fighting types? A bug type move like Bug Bite or Leech Life should have no problem with hurting Machamp or Conkeldurr.

7.) Make rock types resist bug attacks. Unlike fighting types, rock types have a good reason to resist bug attacks. They are very hard to get inside or infest, and would resist moves like Bug Bite and Leech Life by their natural toughness. This will also help balance things out a bit, because despite having defense oriented stats, the rock typing is rather embarrassing defensively.

8.) Introduce the wind type. No, it’s not the same as flying type, although many flying types would become wind types, such as the Kami trio, Drifblim, Altaria, Mantine, and Rayquaza. Flying types would be mostly birds, bats, or flying insects after the wind type is introduced. Wind type moves would include Silver Wind, Hurricane, Gust, and Air Slash, while flying type moves would be include Brave Bird, Drill Peck, FeatherDance, and of course Fly.

Wind type attacks would be super effective against fire, flying, bug, and ground, and not very effective against grass (because they are well rooted), rock and steel (because both are very heavy), and wind.

Wind type Pokemon would resist fire and ice (air can tolerate large changes in temperature without changing state), flying, and wind, and they would be immune to ground. They would be weak against grass (imagine trees blocking the wind and plants absorbing air to photosynthesize) and electric (for being at a high altitude).

Summary:
(attack type, defense type) (>: x2) (<: x1/2) (=: x1) (!=: x0)

Poison > Bug
Bug = Fighting, Bug < Rock
Steel > Grass, Steel = Steel
Ice = Water
Water < Ice
Wind > Fire, Wind > Flying, Wind > Bug, Wind > Ground
Wind < Grass, Wind < Rock, Wind < Steel, Wind < Wind
Fire < Wind, Ice < Wind, Flying < Wind, Wind < Wind, Ground != Wind
Grass > Wind, Electric > Wind
Closed Thread

Tags
heart gold, my gold rattata is the 1%, online, party time!, pokemon, soul silver, trade