Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1781 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 AM
View Posts: 1,083
Re: |OT| Minecraft III: Read the Opening Post, young Minecrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
The only problem with an "allow guests in that can't build" system is that the server would need more funding to be able to to hold that many people. Something can get worked out when it does get popular, though.
Don't know whether this would be feasible or not, but maybe ZeldaUniverse.net could host the server in the future? The URL doesn't have to be secret anymore so that could work if the servers can cope with it..

Hello, world.
ZU Minecraft: Minecraft |OT| | COME PLAY WITH US: KyleMC
Elsewhere on the internet: YouTube | Twitter

#1782 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Super Mecha Death Christ
Send a message via Skype™ to Melpomene

View Posts: 11,900

I think its best not to let all those people rush in at once O__O.
Even if the server could cope, wouldn't that make it laggy as hell?
  #1783 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 AM
<luckz> Future you are reaching peefy-levels of expressive unfunniness.
View Posts: 3,573

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
If you are doing something like, just planting trees around the border like future is, then you're probably good, as that kind of work doesn't really require much oversight, but for other things that are well defined by the game, please get permission from one of the three mentioned.
I take offense to this - I've done a lot more than just planting trees. I've worked a ton on the sacred forest meadow all the way up to the forest temple entrance. Sure the trees are there as well (and very important) but that's not all I've been doing.

Other things include digging out areas to work, that cave (which you, MR ACCURACY, ****ed up) with GKANG, some lost woods wall dirting, other adjustments here and there

Trees alone don't do me justice

Quote:
<eric> Future: your voice is strong and masculine, like a rhino mauling a bus full of schoolgirls.
Last Edited by Future; 03-21-2011 at 02:00 AM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: 8bit
  #1784 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
View Posts: 19,713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
Don't know whether this would be feasible or not, but maybe ZeldaUniverse.net could host the server in the future? The URL doesn't have to be secret anymore so that could work if the servers can cope with it..
ZU's servers have enough trouble hosting the forums sometimes, I don't think they could manage a Minecraft server alongside.
1 person liked this post: LexanPanda
  #1785 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Love yourself.

View Posts: 9,295

So we just made it so that when you step onto the warp pad beside the Forest Temple, it plays the Minuet of the Forest. AWYEAAH. Next we're going to put a button for Saria's Song on the log she sits at.

EDIT: Every time I try to drop 2 hal blocks out of my invent I crash and get End of Stream when I reload the client. WAT.

Last Edited by GKANG; 03-21-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason:
  #1786 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 AM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

Still can't play Minecraft due to problems I stated earlier. Hopefully the computer will be wiped sometime next week.

???

#1787 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Our sunshine is not for franchise!
View Posts: 8,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
Once Hyrule has been finished and paraded around on Youtube, as it inevitably will be, how will we deal with the massive increase in CAN I HAVE THE IP I PROMIES NOT TO GRIEF
Give it to them.

Give it to all of them.

And then watch the world BURN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
If there is some way to give higher up people priority then that's fine.
Because, after cody's videos, the other ZUers videos, and possibly the yogscast guys. The people wanting to look around could be in the hundreds.
Better idea: Take current map. Make copy. Edit current map. Delete everything except for hyrule. Move the spawn point to the entrance of hyrule. Upload map. Share the download link for people who want to explore Hyrule.

If we do this before Hyrule is finished, upload an updated map once very month or so.

The problem with an open server, and elevated pivileges for known members, is how many people can be on the server at once without crushing it with our collective digital fat.

Also of note, even if they're not able to build anything, or destroy anything, having 200 people running around where we are constructing could make construction difficult or impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
I take offense to this - I've done a lot more than just planting trees. I've worked a ton on the sacred forest meadow all the way up to the forest temple entrance. Sure the trees are there as well (and very important) but that's not all I've been doing.
Yeah, but that was apparently the issue. The trees are mostly great (though we did find that we're going to have to knock down the trees you put in the stage room) though GKANG was complaining about inaccuracies in the sacred meadow. Because of those inaccuracies (not necessarily you, just the inaccuracies created by the entire collaborative effort.) GKANG came up with the rules I listed, and I agreed that they're fairly reasonable.

As far as the trees go, I don't mean to diminish that. I'm just pointing out that this requires a lot less oversight and attention to accuracy. You don't need to be running the game to plant trees along the edges of the tops of the rooms, you just need to have an intimate knowledge of the way trees work in Minecraft, and a lot of dedication.

Quote:
Other things include digging out areas to work, that cave (which you, MR ACCURACY, ****ed up) with GKANG,
I was a bit disoriented switching between the two Lost Woods (OoT and Minecraft) for a little bit at first, so I ended up accidentally picking the wrong hole, however, had it been the right hole (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL) it would have been pretty accurate.

Quote:
Trees alone don't do me justice
Though they do mostly do you justice. Like 90% justice, maybe. Not because the other stuff is easy, but because I ****ing hate growing trees.
Last Edited by 8bit; 03-21-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason:
  #1788 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 AM
The world begins with you.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tohopekaliga
View Posts: 18,998

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKANG View Post
1) I'M CHEATING, POWER ABUSE. It seems that the wooden pickaxe is used for creating portals or something, since it kept saying "Point 1 - Set". So yeah, I spawned a stone pick because I'm a hard bastard.
Wood pickaxe is the portal wand, yes. I can change it to something else (wood axe, maybe?), but I figured, "Pshh. Nobody uses the wood pickaxe." Therefore, I left it (since that's the default tool). When I spawn tools for myself, I usually make the iron ones, 'cause I remember that the shovel is 256 and the pick is 257. That said, I don't do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
Well, this V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysis View Post
ZU's servers have enough trouble hosting the forums sometimes, I don't think they could manage a Minecraft server alongside.
ZU's hosting is fundamentally different from my website & minecraft server. Yes, they're both servers, and I believe they both run some variation of Linux. (Mine is CentOS, I don't remember what ZU's is.) The difference is how the hosting is managed. ZU is a web hosting package. Yes, it's a dedicated server, but the control for the server, as well as its system resources, are all geared toward website management.

The hosting I have for minecraft is a VPS (Virtual Private Server), which mostly just makes it so I can go on the hosting company's website, say I want an additional 10gb of ram and quadruple the processing time (power), and it happens right away. The other thing that makes it different is that I am in complete control of everything on the system. That is essential.

It would not be cost-effective to have the minecraft server be on ZU's server. A redirect could be set up on, say, mine.zeldauniverse.net that would point to tohopekaliga.com, therefore allowing people to use that address instead... but I've been lazy and haven't set that up.

There are servers out there that have a dozen people online at slow times...so it is possible to have high-traffic Minecraft servers...It would just cost me probably $60-$100 a month. Maybe more. I honestly have no idea how resource use would scale up with high traffic.

(Though, on the subject of resource use, Minecraft is vastly more efficient with the two worlds connected like they are now than it was with them completely separate.)

Also, I looked at that NPC plugin... It's a shame you can't arbitrarily specify skins. If you could, that'd be awesome. As it sits now, it's just somewhat interesting.
Last Edited by Tohopekaliga; 03-21-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason:
  #1789 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Mogma
View Posts: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERROR372 View Post
Ignore 'em? Just a thought. Or have Toho implement the plebe/builder/OP idea.

But what are we going to do after Hyrule is finished? Termina maybe? Or will no one be interested in doing another massive project?
Well on my own server which i have no clue if it even works for other people since it's just ran off of my computer xD I started making clocktown on there anyway, obviously just doing it myself and might even continue to do more of termina once it's finished, but if people here like it I'm happy to give the save and can move it onto the ZU server, I'm not sure how it's done but I'm sure you can move a structure from one save to another... somehow xD
  #1790 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Actually...that presents me with an interesting experiment to conduct. I wonder if I can copy something from the New World to the Old World (or the other way) like I did with Orthanc before we blew up the original.

I shall test this evening.
  #1791 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Mogma

Well the only reason I think it's possible is because of a compilation map i saw once where the guy had taken structures from several other peoples maps and put them all together in one. So It must be possible but I have no idea how you'd do it.
  #1792 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Oh, well, of course it's possible--But I'm talking about doing it while the server is running.

Mashing maps together with a standalone map editor is fairly straightforward. I'm talking about doing it in game.
  #1793 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Mogma

Ooo, destroy the blocks and move them one by one.. lol xD
  #1794 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Naw.

I moved the big tower & circle around it you can see on the ZU World Map just east of spawn (where the map is when you load up) from another place in the world. That's what I'm referring to. WorldEdit

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Oh yes. Tabby: When you get an opportunity, would you mind scoping out a new place for ROT? I can take everything all the way down to bedrock in the area and put it elsewhere, just need to decide on an elsewhere.
  #1795 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Mogma

I dunno where the spawn is since I've never been on the server I'm sure people wouldn't mind you taking it offline for like 10 minutes though, sounds easier to just edit it that way instead of some crazy online way
  #1796 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 AM

No, actually, it's much more difficult to use the editors...

(I just told you where spawn is.)
  #1797 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Mogma

Oooh I'm silly and a bit sleepy ^_^
  #1798 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via Skype™ to ERROR372
View Posts: 1,499

Oh darn. Server just crashed. Right when I was on a search for magma. Darn.

Anywho, my house is nearing completion. Only have to finish the roof, put a line of smooth stone between the roof and walls (so it doesn't look like a combined mess =P ), and then finish up the second story floor. I'm so glad I'm almost done with my mansion. It's a tad cramped inside, but that's what I get for trying to guesstimate 'foot' floor plans into 'meter' floor plans =)

EDIT: And nevermind, the server is fine now. that was odd.

Hosting a vanilla server at: direct.kylemc.net
Dynmap at: kylemc.net/map
Last Edited by ERROR372; 03-21-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason:
  #1799 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 PM
To Hug the mountain. To envelope, that mountain.
View Posts: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
according to GKANG, the Sacred Meadow was inaccurate in places, and had to be fixed.
Future and myself worked on that and it's exactly the way it is in game. If you have any specific complaints I would like to hear them.

Quote:
Also, NPC designs:
Kokiri: Two stacked cloth blocks, the bottom light green, the top orange. A sign is placed on the top block, representing the face. Two stick switches are placed on either side of the bottom cloth, and set to face down, representing arms.
These look, to be kind, pathetic. Real NPCs should be used/people with character skins, or none at all in mine (and several other peoples) opinions.
"And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron - Judges 1:19

#1800 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM

I'm inclined to agree about the NPCs: Those look hideous. It would be much better to leave out NPCs until such time that we can put "actual" NPCs in the world with skins that aren't tied to a specific user.