Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 12
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Just recently started playing it again. I'm introducing it to a couple friends along the way too, and so far there's nothing but good news.

It still gets to me how vast and expansive the game is. Anyone else have shared feelings?

Also: Skyrim.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 PM
vladith
Send a message via Skype™ to Valhelm
Steam ID: Vladith
View Posts: 8,849
Re: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I recently began playing it for the first time. I'm stuck at Kvatch.

There's so much content in this game! I have, like, eight quests I need to finish that I don't have time for.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 323

Oblivion is a great game.
If it wasn't big enough by itself the modder community have done thousands of mods for the PC.
You can be a Stormtrooper with lightsaber,Link with the Master Sword,have a motorcycle instead of a horse....
I even today play Oblivion to try out the mods that are still coming out.

But Oblivion makes me wish a Zelda that would be that large with so many quests and dungeons.
But unfortunately we won't ever see such a lengthy,dense and interactive world in Zelda.
At least not until the people responsible for it change.
Last Edited by Alithinos; 01-17-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
The real great 8
Steam ID: Chocobotamer
View Posts: 5,097

If you're playing it on the PC, there are muchos mods that I would strongly recommend, the first and foremost being Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Completely changes how the game is played and adds tons and tons of new ****, including quests, weapons, armor, enemies, bosses and so on.
Last Edited by A Machine For Totts; 01-17-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 12

I mainly replayed it because I was reminded that for the PC version you're able to go into the console and mess with the gameplay just a tad, and I've been having a blast, heh...
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Posting is a craft i take very seriously
Send a message via AIM to Kuden
View Posts: 3,547

I played Oblivion after much persuasion from others who were seemingly shocked that I hadn't done so yet, but to my dismay I found the game mostly boring and bland. It wasn't really my thing at all. though to be fair it may have been more to do with m mood at the time- however during the two weeks that I played, I was never interested and almost had to force myself to play.
That said, I will try again in the future.

Your fire makes it all worthwhile.
[Tumblr/Last.fm/Formspring/Twitter]
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
vladith

Also, I wish every single person didn't carry a weapon with them. It was ridiculous.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 2,850

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED CHEATS/FIXES:

Quest Award leveler-Matches the leveled items you've acquired to your level. Now you don't have to wait until you are a high enough level to do a quest!

+5 to All Attributes- If you level up a skill at least once, the attribute it's associated with have a +5 bonus regardless how much time you actually contribute to the skill. This is definitely a "cheat" but then again your alternative is spending hours trying to perfectly level your attributes. Very useful.

Bag of Holding- Tired of moving your stuff back and forth into your home? The bag of holding is a weightless, portable container!

Deadly Reflexes- look it up. Your mind will be blown. You can decapitate, have more brawl fighting moves, (kicking, shield bash) freeze and shatter...YouTube - Deadly Reflex 6 fighting (teaser material)

"I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth."

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Heil, Kaiser, dir!
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
Steam ID: pzkpfw_iv
View Posts: 6,013

YOU ARE THE ONE FROM MY DREAMS

LET ME SEE YOUR FACE

I love the game. I used to play it non-stop. Though what I don't like is the telepathic guards and the very stringent laws....once I accidentally got on an owned horse and then STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW! PAY THE COURT A FINE OR SERVE YOUR SENTENCE! YOUR STOLEN GOODS ARE NOW FORFEIT!

Guards are really awesome though. I think after I completed the main quest in my really high level character, I decided to attack Count Skingrad.

I died amidst a lot of WHY. WON'T YOU DIE! and THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU FALL DOWN AND BLEED TO DEATH!
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

I find it one of the worst games of the Elder Scrolls series that I've played, but it's still very fun. I much preferred Morrowind, but I like a few of the additions they made in Oblivion, namely the combat and magic (save for Restoration, which they unreasonably nerfed). I also love how colorful everything is, and it is hands-down the best video game to play while stoned. Oblivion and Starfox 64.

I played this game a lot and I had loads of fun with it, but in retrospect it isn't a very good RPG. Level scaling, extremely repetitive dungeons and one voice for all the elf races were my biggest qualms. I'm fine with the voice they used for both Khajiits and Argonians, as well as the voice for Nords and Orcs, because those races sound like that. But Dunmer? They do NOT sound like they did in Oblivion. Their voices in Morrowind were awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby
I died amidst a lot of WHY. WON'T YOU DIE! and THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU FALL DOWN AND BLEED TO DEATH!
Oh my god the Male Imperial voice was my favorite part of the game. Everyone complained about the voice acting, but why? What's not to like about this voice? I want this guy (his name is Wes Johnson by the way) to narrate my life. He just has so much Shakespearean gusto in his booming voice.

oh and RATS? THEY'VE GOT FIGHTER'S GUILD PEOPLE OUT KILLING RATS THAT'S RIDICULOUS!

also I'VE FOUGHT MUDCRABS MORE FEARSOME THAN YOU!

and HA HA HA, YOU MOVE LIKE A PREGNANT COW!
Last Edited by JC Denton; 01-19-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Heil, Kaiser, dir!

I remember on my first playthrough I killed the Dark brotherhood guy, so removed a large part of the game. In my second playthough I joined the DB, and they have some of the most fun quests ever.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Heil, Kaiser, dir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andross View Post
Oblivion is a mediocre game. On its own, the "vastness" of the game isn't enough to make up for its heavily apparent flaws. It is moderately entertaining with mods, though; maybe Bethesda should start hiring people out of their fanbase's modding community.
Why do you not like it? What are it's flaws?
Last Edited by Tabby; 01-19-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned User
Steam ID: sircalibur
View Posts: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
Why do you not like it? What are it's flaws?
I think the flaws people focus on are the leveling system, the removal of several skills as a way to simplify abilities, and the voice acting. Essentially, people want Morrowind.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
peanutbutterman peanutbutterman is a male United States peanutbutterman is offline
Foosball Champion
View Posts: 2,083

It was an addicting game, but it did have it's flaws. For one thing, there were too few voice actors, everyone sounded alike. For another thing, the characters weren't engaging, many had no relevance to the plot. For another thing, the world was big and explorable, but it just kind of felt dull. The world was so big, yet nothing really went on in it. There were lots of caves to explore, but nothing in them.

But, the side-quests were well done and I enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood and Thieve's Guild. I enjoyed creating the type of character that I wanted to. I enjoyed exploring the world, even if it was dull at times. Overall, I would give the game an 8/10.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 PM
vladith

I'm so early in this game. I've explored Skingrad, but I've never been able to talk to the Count. I can't even buy a house!
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhelm View Post
I'm so early in this game. I've explored Skingrad, but I've never been able to talk to the Count. I can't even buy a house!
Hehe.
You don't want to buy just any house,you want to buy a house in Skingrad!
The most classy town of the empire.
In order to speak to the Count and buy the house you will have to be a celebrity.
You can become one by completing the main quest,becoming the grand champion on the arena etc...
Mind that it's the most expensive house you can buy in the game and that you will need extra money to buy furniture seperately.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
The real great 8
Steam ID: Chocobotamer
View Posts: 5,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibLeo View Post
I especially loved the "Whodunnit?" House party.
I love the fact that you can just punch everyone to death, even right in front of people and they won't know what's happening. Takes a lot of the fun out though. I consider that to be the most fun quest in the game.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
♫ It's the end of the world as we know it! ♫
View Posts: 9,440

Wow.
I just finished downloading it. (hehe)
This game is awesome.
The controls are smooth and everything feels good to do.
Although ever since I saw that one Zombie (GET AWAY FROM ME YOU SPAWN OF HELL BURN BURN BUUUUURN) I turn every corner slowly with my shield out.
THIS ISN'T EVEN A SCARY GAME WHY AM I SUCH A WIMP

Can't wait to get out of this dungeon and explore the great outdoors.

(also why did people leave so many lock-picks and battle axes lying around what the hell?)

EDIT: Y'know what, this game is f***ing amazing. I am having a blast sneaking through a bandit's hideout sniping them in the back and listening to them being drunk. I think I will enjoy this. Additionally, I will now keep my eye on Skyrim. I hope my computer can handle it. *crosses fingers*
Last Edited by King Kay; 01-20-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote