Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#241 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Operator please
View Posts: 8,629
Re: Unpopular Opinions Thread

Just popping in to say some of these opinions need to be beefed up a bit more - as well as knowing what you think, why you think it would be appreciated too. I'm not going to delete stuff or anything, just sayin'.

As for mine? I think that Okami is an incredibly overrated game. The artstyle is pretty, I won't deny that, but I found the music general orchestral stuff. The gameplay is padded with an awful lot of filler - fetch quests are not and have never been enjoyable. The combat is clunky at best and downright irritating at worst. All in all, I can't say it made any great impression on me.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Just popping in to say some of these opinions need to be beefed up a bit more - as well as knowing what you think, why you think it would be appreciated too. I'm not going to delete stuff or anything, just sayin'.

As for mine? I think that Okami is an incredibly overrated game. The artstyle is pretty, I won't deny that, but I found the music general orchestral stuff. The gameplay is padded with an awful lot of filler - fetch quests are not and have never been enjoyable. The combat is clunky at best and downright irritating at worst. All in all, I can't say it made any great impression on me.
  #242 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe
Send a message via Skype™ to Double A
Wii U ID: 80espiay

View Posts: 14,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
9. Party games like Wii Party, Wii Sports, Kinect titles etc. are a blast, and it's great to be able to play games with friends of mine that never have before.
UNpopular opinions. Not clearly-popular ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Helmet View Post
It also has a crapton of cutscenes.

I will admit, the music and combat (not the bosses, the normal enemies) were somewhat better than most of what you'd see in modern Zelda.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group
  #243 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Operator please
View Posts: 8,629

Actually, I think peak modern Zelda combat and peak modern Zelda music are still better. Nothing in Okami really compares to the Zant or Grounded Aerolfos fights in Twilight Princess in terms of combat, and when Twilight Princess actually has new compositions instead of OoT remix no. 8348, it has some really amazing stuff (Zant's theme, for example). Okami was probably more consistent than Twilight Princess, but I actually did like Twilight Princess more because occasionally, just occasionally, there were parts of Twilight Princess that were fantastic, and you could really see what could have been (admittedly the rest of the time it's a soso game, but still). I never got that with Okami.
  #244 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM
vladith
Send a message via Skype™ to Valhelm
Steam ID: Vladith
View Posts: 8,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
4. Resistance 2 and Unreal Tournament 3 are the best FPS titles this generation.
Why is this? In my opinion, they're both inferior to games like Half Life 2, Halo: Reach, and Bioshock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
It also has a crapton of cutscenes.
Do you think that cutscenes are inheritly a bad thing? I could easily understand why one would think that, though. I know you tend to dislike them, but do you think they're never good? Cutscenes make Alan Wake the game it is, and without them it would just be an average third-person horror game with an interesting setting and control scheme. The story is told almost entirely in cutscenes, and they really improve the game. In my opinion, AAA games of every genre should have just as many or hopefully more (skippable) cutscenes as Okami or Alan Wake.
  #245 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Ok, but dogs CAN look up.

View Posts: 15,290

I was lucky enough to get a beta code for Resistance 2 a while back. I was so hyped about the game, but... but it turns out it wasn't for me. At all.
I couldn't actually figure out how to play the friggin game.
  #246 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhelm View Post
Do you think that cutscenes are inheritly a bad thing? I could easily understand why one would think that, though. I know you tend to dislike them, but do you think they're never good? Cutscenes make Alan Wake the game it is, and without them it would just be an average third-person horror game with an interesting setting and control scheme. The story is told almost entirely in cutscenes, and they really improve the game. In my opinion, AAA games of every genre should have just as many or hopefully more (skippable) cutscenes as Okami or Alan Wake.
In my humble opinion, any cutscene longer than half a minute is an abomination. Anything shorter than that is tolerable and even necessary in some (rare) cases, in terms of my own personal experience and opinion. It might sound overused, but I do pay to PLAY the game, and I want as high a "gameplay:everything else" ratio as possible. Actually, frequent cutscenes are also a sin to me.

That last sentence is why I'm highly skeptical of the tag "AAA", which carries a negative connotation with me. I seem to associate "AAA" with games bloated with storyline, dialogue and cutscenes.

A Fedora || "Rex" || Bored? || PM me to join the Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. Skype group
Last Edited by Double A; 01-06-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #247 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
View Posts: 8,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdspA View Post
In my humble opinion, any cutscene longer than half a minute is an abomination. Anything shorter than that is tolerable and even necessary in some (rare) cases, in terms of my own personal experience and opinion. It might sound overused, but I do pay to PLAY the game, and I want as high a "gameplay:everything else" ratio as possible. Actually, frequent cutscenes are also a sin to me.

That last sentence is why I'm highly skeptical of the tag "AAA", which carries a negative connotation with me. I seem to associate "AAA" with games bloated with storyline, dialogue and cutscenes.
Thirty second cutscenes are never necessary. That's not enough time to actually show anything. It's just those bull**** cutaway establishing shots that break the pace to show us **** we were already looking at or could have easily inferred.
  #248 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrag View Post
Thirty second cutscenes are never necessary. That's not enough time to actually show anything. It's just those bull**** cutaway establishing shots that break the pace to show us **** we were already looking at or could have easily inferred.
They allow a little time for loading. And as much as I'd wish for it to be otherwise, those tiny cutscenes introducing a boss do add to the atmosphere of a boss battle.

Anyway, let me rephrase:

"Cutscenes longer than 30 seconds that aren't at the beginning or the end of the game..."

#249 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist

Quote:
They allow a little time for loading. And as much as I'd wish for it to be otherwise, those tiny cutscenes introducing a boss do add to the atmosphere of a boss battle.

Anyway, let me rephrase:

"Cutscenes longer than 30 seconds that aren't at the beginning or the end of the game..."
Well, yeah, an ending shouldn't count. No arguments, here.

But, honestly, the less fluff I have to sit through at the beginning the better. No opening cutscene is pretty ideal for me.
  #250 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 AM
The "he" in Catastrophe

Concerning opening cutscenes, I'm willing to tolerate maybe about one or two minutes at the most. Other than that, I agree that less fluff is better.
  #251 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Anouki
View Posts: 33

I HATE final fasticy because of its "your turn my turn" fighting, I have never been able to stand that in ANY game (except paper mario)

I think OOT and TP are equal, they are both my faves and i liked MM but it got quite irritating after a while with having to costily go back and forth with time.

I cant stand 1st person shooters (maily because i suck at them)

AѲX #1429

Need an Avon independent sales representative?
Visit me! www.yourAVON.com/amandameko

#252 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Fabulous
View Posts: 1,893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrag View Post
The only cutscenes worse than these ones are the ones that are twenty minutes long. Metal Gear Solid is a good example of a series that is plagued by both kinds (but has good gameplay when you're actually allowed to play it).
  #253 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Powerless to Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomhaire View Post
The only cutscenes worse than these ones are the ones that are twenty minutes long. Metal Gear Solid is a good example of a series that is plagued by both kinds (but has good gameplay when you're actually allowed to play it).
Honestly, you should know better than to play Metal Gear Solid if you don't want cutscenes, though. I mean their a part of its core identity. It's a long-ass movie that happens to have video game parts and, damn it, that's how MGS should be.

Long cutscenes in other games drive me insane, though.
  #254 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Fabulous

Heh. I've though that MGS managed to be a really good series despite the best efforts of its creators to ruin it constantly
  #255 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is a male Chile ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is offline
Never bet for Ridley.
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomhaire View Post
Heh. I've though that MGS managed to be a really good series despite the best efforts of its creators to ruin it constantly
Wait, what?
  #256 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Fabulous

Hideo Kojima is a goddamn idiot who couldn't write a good story to save his life. Every MGS gets more stupid, more ridiculous and more cutscene riddled than the last while making all the characters more and more retarded and unlikeable. At the same time the gameplay gets better and better each time too.
Last Edited by riomhaire; 01-07-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #257 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is a male Chile ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~ is offline
Never bet for Ridley.
Steam ID: Khao84 Wii U ID: KhaoMortadios 3DS ID: 1075-0789-4675
View Posts: 11,628

I don't really see how the story of MGS4 is worse than the one in MGS, but whatever.

By the way, those two are the only ones I've actually beaten, but by your logic, MGS4's story should be completely retarded next to MGS's.
Last Edited by ~*I<3NickJonas4eva!*~; 01-07-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #258 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 PM
NintendoSuperNova NintendoSuperNova is a male United Kingdom NintendoSuperNova is offline
Deku Scrub
Send a message via Skype™ to NintendoSuperNova
View Posts: 3

My unpopular opinions are:
I prefair xbox to playstation:
I liked Halo better than cod:
I like Sunshine Better Than 64
  #259 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM
vladith
Send a message via Skype™ to Valhelm
Steam ID: Vladith
View Posts: 8,854

Quote:

I think it's interesting how we totally disagree but also have similar writing styles, etc.

Anyway, I believe that games are even more equipped for storytelling than films. And to me, a AAA game is a 9.0 or higher, and has great gameplay, a good story, and atleast passable graphics. I tolerate how SMG2 has no storyline, as it's basically a level pack for the most hardcore Mario gameplay fans, but I think that a good storyline is needed in most games. That's one of the reasons why I personally don't like Call of Duty. As for cutscene length, I'm okay with cutscenes up to ten minutes long personally, as long as they aren't dull.
  #260 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM
The "he" in Catastrophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhelm View Post
I think it's interesting how we totally disagree but also have similar writing styles, etc.
We have similar writing styles?

And elaborate on the "etc" pl0x.

Quote:
Anyway, I believe that games are even more equipped for storytelling than films.
This is the root of our disagreement in regards to games and their stories. To me, storytelling should be kept at a bare minimum in games. The fact that you control a character suggests to me that you should be the one making your own story.

By that, I don't mean "do predetermined event X to unlock predetermined event Y". I'm talking about the story that happens IN the gameplay, the more personal one.

Basically, to understand what I'm saying, you have to somehow understand what I mean when I say that games that are nothing but gameplay and world sometimes have the best stories of all. Minecraft or SMB, for example.

Last Edited by Double A; 01-07-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote