Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1041 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Postman Postman is offline
To Life, Love and Loot.
Send a message via Skype™ to Postman
Steam ID: ebnhawk
Join Date: Feb 2006
View Posts: 6,784
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfMandrag View Post
Why does everyone talk like Among Thieves was the better of the two? I played them both and the first was way more fun.
Personal opinion I guess. I found the first one was a great introduction but it was built more like a "okay we're going to put out blood and guts into this and see if people like it and if they do we'll make more" game. And since it did it gave birth to the second one which had much better cinematic gameplay elements. The truck chase for example during the early stages of the game for example. Also the artifact heist was very classic spy/espionage-esque which made it feel more movie like and exciting.
__________________
Well, let’s just say it’s ironic how footage of someone being born can make you want to kill yourself.
tumblr
  #1042 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: By the pinky.
View Posts: 8,872
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

It had more cinematic gameplay, I can't deny that, but it just made the action feel cheaper to me. Like I had less to do with it. When I struggled to pass a scene in Drake's Fortune that was my accomplishment that I did though my tactics and my skill; when I struggled to pass a n action scene in Among Thieves, it's because I didn't follow the path the developers had in mind (like that awful tank chase that had me constantly dying because I had the gall to guess wrong when presented with two possible paths).
  #1043 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Postman Postman is offline
To Life, Love and Loot.
Send a message via Skype™ to Postman
Steam ID: ebnhawk
Join Date: Feb 2006
View Posts: 6,784
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

I guess it we have two different ideas of it. The first one for me, was a bit to fast pace and was way too short. One thing I will give the upperhand to Drakes Fortune on is the scares. When the Spaniards where chasing you through the hallways.. that was pretty creepy.
__________________
Well, let’s just say it’s ironic how footage of someone being born can make you want to kill yourself.
tumblr
Last Edited by Postman; 08-28-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason:
  #1044 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: By the pinky.
View Posts: 8,872
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Sonic Rush did not have the old-school feel that everyone said it did. On the bright side, the bosses were surprisingly hard and, except for the absolute 100% final boss, were totally fair in their difficulty.

I just wish I understood what the sound clips in the music were saying 80% of the time. They're catchy as ♥♥♥♥ but I end up singing along to them with lyrics such as the desert level and the story of one girl's grocery store mishap:

"Pack o' pack o' wheat pack stuck on my face
Pack o' wheat wheat stuck on my face"

Or the aircraft carrier and its alarm system's insistent denial of trouble:

"It's not bad~
It's not bad~
It's not bad~
It's not ba - HIT THE DECK!"

And the last boss was Robotnik and Nega arguing over some hot sauce:

"Too bland!"
"Too strong!"
"Too bland!"
"Too strong"
Last Edited by TheGhostOfMandrag; 08-29-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason:
1 person liked this post: Coconut Water
  #1045 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Check out what I just got in the mail



My first import game!
I managed to snag this game on Amazon for $35 including shipping (the price of a standard US DS game), and for a hard-to-find import game from a bankrupt developer, that was lucky (the game is going from $50-$70 USD on import sites).
My life is now complete.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 09-01-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason:
  #1046 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 PM
EuroMIX2 EuroMIX2 is a male United Kingdom EuroMIX2 is offline
Gone
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
View Posts: 175
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

You have nice fingers Tonch.

Seems ironic for an American to be importing a European game. The best part is, you're covering up most of the PEGI rating i.e. the clearest way to tell that you are holding a European copy, especially on a minimalist box art like that.

To be frank, I didn't really know anything about the game. Was it only released in Europe or is it better to import because of its scarcity?
  #1047 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMIX2 View Post
The best part is, you're covering up most of the PEGI rating i.e. the clearest way to tell that you are holding a European copy, especially on a minimalist box art like that.
Not in this case-- it's either a PAL or a Japanese copy. Seeing as how you can read the title, it's obviously the former.
Quote:
To be frank, I didn't really know anything about the game. Was it only released in Europe or is it better to import because of its scarcity?
It was only released in Japan and Europe (or PAL regions, not sure if it actually came out in Australia). The prequel, Hotel Dusk, was released in North America, but the sequel wasn't, and Cing (the developer) went bankrupt, so the chance of a North American release is ♥♥♥♥ all.

The biggest reason I'm happy is that I got it for the price of a standard US game, even including the shipping, rather than the crazy import prices it's commanding otherwise. I consider myself lucky for this score.
The one I bought it from had five copies at the time I bought it, and now I can no longer find it for $35 (it's $55 now).

But I just think it's neat to have a copy from another country, since I've never imported before.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 09-01-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason:
  #1048 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 PM
EuroMIX2 EuroMIX2 is a male United Kingdom EuroMIX2 is offline
Gone
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
View Posts: 175
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

I have actually heard of Hotel Dusk, but not this game. Seems strange that it came out in Europe before being cancelled. Normally games come out in America and then never make it to Europe for some reason or another. We never got Excitebots (I wanted it) and I don't think that we've had a Digimon game for years. I'm surprised that Haunting Ground got a PAL release seeing as it's based in Europe when Rule of Rose was never released because of the supposedly "upsetting" nature of the game.

Importing is kind of fun, though a bit risky. My first DS was Japanese and the company included English instructions to help in setting up and changing the language. My copy of Super Mario 64 DS is American, though I seem to have misplaced the box.

All PAL games should work on any console in Europe and Australia. I happen to have a game that was released in Australia that works perfectly fine on my European PS2 because they are both PAL.
  #1049 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMIX2 View Post
I have actually heard of Hotel Dusk, but not this game. Seems strange that it came out in Europe before being cancelled. Normally games come out in America and then never make it to Europe for some reason or another.
Actually Cing's previous game, Another Code R (which is a sequel to Another Code, or Trace Memory as it's known in America) never came to America either. So I suppose they thought it wasn't selling well, but I don't know why they'd bother to localize it in so many languages and then not use that English translation for America with a few of the spellings or terms changed around.

Quote:
All PAL games should work on any console in Europe and Australia. I happen to have a game that was released in Australia that works perfectly fine on my European PS2 because they are both PAL.
Yeah, I know all PAL games work across Europe and Australia, but I don't actually know if Last Window was released in Australian retail (my copy I believe is from the UK). That's what I meant. It doesn't really matter since most original DS games aren't region-locked anyway (thank heavens).
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 09-01-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason:
  #1050 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 PM
EuroMIX2 EuroMIX2 is a male United Kingdom EuroMIX2 is offline
Gone
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
View Posts: 175
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonch View Post
So I suppose they thought it wasn't selling well, but I don't know why they'd bother to localize it in so many languages and then not use that English translation for America with a few of the spellings or terms changed around.
Well actually it might be because it would take more effort than just that since they still need to pay some people to do the editing and then there's probably a lot of behind-the-scenes work with publishers to get the game released.

I know that companies are a lot more careful about how they release things these days for fear of upsetting anyone or being sued. Nintendo themselves got into trouble a little while back when they left the word "spastic" in the European version of a Mario game. I don't know if there was an actual complaint, but they recalled and replaced the game anyway.

I think that that is why Nintendo, and a few other companies, are starting to do more translation and localisation now. PH and Mario Galaxy 1, and ST and Mario Galaxy 2 each featured American and British English respectively.

It also seems to depend on who does the translating. I was surprised when watching a video of Space Channel 5 Part 2 and some school children were referred to as "Primary School" Children rather than the more popular and typical American term "Elementary School". I was told that this was because the translation team was English.

Does make me wonder what would happen if more games were translated by an English team and then brough to America, like that new Xenoblade game. Would it really be that jarring for Americans to see British English and terms? "Armour", "humour", "colour", "defence", "trousers", etc? It's just we seem to adapt to American English and terms well enough and that happens a LOT more often. Would be interesting to see the reverse happen a bit more. Might get more American's in touch with their heritage.

Quote:
Yeah, I know all PAL games work across Europe and Australia, but I don't actually know if Last Window was released in Australian retail (my copy I believe is from the UK). That's what I meant. It doesn't really matter since most original DS games aren't region-locked anyway (thank heavens).
Ah, I see your point. Yes, that is sometimes a problem.
Last Edited by EuroMIX2; 09-01-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason:
  #1051 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-01-2011, 10:55 PM
GooeyKablooie GooeyKablooie is offline
__
Join Date: Aug 2007
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMIX2 View Post

I know that companies are a lot more careful about how they release things these days for fear of upsetting anyone or being sued. Nintendo themselves got into trouble a little while back when they left the word "spastic" in the European version of a Mario game. I don't know if there was an actual complaint, but they recalled and replaced the game anyway.
Yeah, I remember hearing about that.

Quote:
Does make me wonder what would happen if more games were translated by an English team and then brough to America, like that new Xenoblade game. Would it really be that jarring for Americans to see British English and terms? "Armour", "humour", "defence", "trousers", etc? It's just we seem to adapt well to American English and terms well enough and that happens a LOT more often. Would be interesting to see the reverse happen a bit more. Might get more American's in touch with their heritage.
Here's the thing-- I think it depends on context. For the Xenoblade example, I think it would be great if they took the English localization over to America, because I think it suits the game really well. I'd love for it to keep the English voices, and I wouldn't mind the English script and spellings.

But for something like Hotel Dusk or Last Window, I do have to admit that it's very out-of-place because the game takes place in America with very heavy American dialect (Kyle Hyde in particular uses tons of old colloquialisms from the US), so in that situation I think it's very jarring to see them use some European spellings and occasional English terms.

Otherwise I wouldn't mind much. I really think it depends on where the game is supposed to take place-- if it's somewhere that the spelling and dialects matter (such as taking place in England or the US), then I'd say it should be considered more for that specific region.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 09-01-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason:
  #1052 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: By the pinky.
View Posts: 8,872
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Brutal Legend is more entertaining than I expected but the boring camera work during boss fights and driving segments robs a lot of fun from its presentation and the music is far too quiet to be flattering (considering it's ♥♥♥♥ing metal). I know you can't have dialog be drowned out by music but they could at least have the decency to take the GTA route and simply quiet down the music when a line's being spoken and blast it the rest of the time. Granted, it comes with volume sliders but the default should sound better than it does.

And Stage Battles really would play a lot better if there were more visual differentiation between the forces. When their guys are fighting the same type of my guys, I can't much see who to hit and have to rely on my shockwave move just to tell friend from target. That's not really good visual design, you know?

Still, though, it's epic and funny and wonderful the rest of the time so it's hard to complain.
  #1053 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Alex Alex is a male Alex is offline
-
Join Date: Oct 2004
View Posts: 8,230
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Beat my Pacifism score in Geometry Wars this evening. 458 million, mother♥♥♥♥ers.
__________________
No person is whole. No person is free.
  #1054 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Tabby Tabby is a male European Union Tabby is offline
Sein Vaterland muss größer sein!
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
Steam ID: pzkpfw_iv
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deutsches Kaiserreich
View Posts: 6,338
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

So I got Europa Universallis III. The tutorials don't work so I am going to have to teach myself the game.

Cheers paradox for making games with a vertical learning curve. At least I have my experience with Victoria and Hearts of Iron to fall back on.
__________________
  #1055 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Panique Australia Panique is offline
Magical Miracle Girl ★ Usami!
Steam ID: superpaniland Wii U ID: Panique

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
View Posts: 24,860
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfMandrag View Post
If you start a sentence with "The only games I pre-ordered for the month" then you probably need to cut back some. I mean, buying games in a month is one thing but pre-ordering is something that should be reserved for a kind of absolute faith in a product that comes maybe once a year.
What's wrong with pre-ordering games?

You get a guaranteed copy of a game you're excited for on its release date. A lot of the time, you get extra stuff for pre-ordering. You get to pay off a game before it comes out, and then it's even more exciting when you can pick it up without spending anything.

My old assistant manager had over 40 pre-orders at once. It was great.
__________________
  #1056 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 12:07 PM
TheGhostOfMandrag TheGhostOfMandrag is a male United States TheGhostOfMandrag is offline
Powerless to Resist
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: By the pinky.
View Posts: 8,872
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

There simply aren't that many games worth purchasing and those that are can be largely hit or miss to the point where you need to rent them or check out reviews to make sure you absolutely want to own them.

You get to pay it off ahead of time, guarantee yourself a copy, get some swag, and bag yourself a totally average and forgettable game that you'll never play again.
  #1057 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Pietro Pietro is a male Canada Pietro is offline
"Satan sees you as a Big Mac"
Send a message via Skype™ to Pietro
Steam ID: Pietro672
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
View Posts: 9,075
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfMandrag View Post
There simply aren't that many games worth purchasing and those that are can be largely hit or miss to the point where you need to rent them or check out reviews to make sure you absolutely want to own them.

You get to pay it off ahead of time, guarantee yourself a copy, get some swag, and bag yourself a totally average and forgettable game that you'll never play again.
That's like your opinion, man.

There have been plenty of good games worth buying so far this year, and its pretty easy to gauge how good a game will be. Then again some people are just excessively picky, for those people don't pre-order.
__________________
2 people liked this post: Panique, Red
  #1058 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Red Red is offline
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was
Join Date: Oct 2008
View Posts: 16,119
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

I just picked up Deus Ex: Human Revoultion on a whim


I'm actually really glad I did. I've heard a lot good things about the first (never played it myself), and I've heard good things about DE:HR so I figured why not?

I'm not too far, since I only played for about an hour before I went to sleep last night but so far it seems to be great. The combat seems a little wonky, but I've only killed like 7 guys with a single gun, and I'm probably gonna go for stealth anyway soooo I'll just wait and see on that.

The game itself looks great. The HUD is absolutely gorgeous.

The story seems at least interesting from the tiny snippet I've seen, so thank god for that

Can't wait to play some more, see what else lies in store
__________________
1 person liked this post: Panique
  #1059 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Sabbo Australia Sabbo is offline
Noble Keybearer


Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: c/20,000Lea
View Posts: 23,896
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Preordering obviously has its benefits, but what of the price? Preordering means that you're paying full price for a game you're not certain you'll enjoy, while waiting for the release and eventual price drop gives you time to test the game out, or at least read reviews.
__________________
  #1060 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Tabby Tabby is a male European Union Tabby is offline
Sein Vaterland muss größer sein!
Send a message via Skype™ to Tabby
Steam ID: pzkpfw_iv
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Deutsches Kaiserreich
View Posts: 6,338
Re: Private Gaming Corporal Discussion

Well, I'm certain I will enjoy Skyrim. And Battlefield 3. And Red Orchestra 2.
__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
metroid, mike was here ash smells, my trident she growsss, prime


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -