Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 927
Re: If You Could Change or Fix a Game...

Brawl is fine as is. If you really care so much about 'balance', just play Melee instead. People are obviously dedicated enough to hack the game open to meet their crazy specific demands, so why wont they play an 8 year old game instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTMS View Post
Edit: I would change Metal Gear Solid 4 so it's story was actually good.
Really? Are you a fan of the other games? I can understand if you'd never played MGS before then it might seem like this unholy cluster****, but there's some great stuff there.

I thought the story was great, and manages the impossible task of tying together every disparate plot thread left hanging from prior games. I'll admit their were some rather odd parts (Meryl's Wedding or Raiden's "reunion") but the overall story was very well written, and actually intelligent; something we unfortunatly don't see very often.
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 AM
the battler
Send a message via AIM to TheBattler
View Posts: 1,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mander View Post
Tripping was included to prevent Wavedashing. Yes, it can be annoying, but it's part of the spontaneous aspect of Brawl.
No, Tripping wasn't included to prevent wavedashing. That doesn't even begin to make sense.

Momentum aerial dodging might have been put in to prevent wavedashing.

Tripping was included because it was random, which is the nature that the developers wanted to imbue into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsurugi no Kami View Post
The tripping in Brawl is obvious, though I would also make Snake a little less slow. Seriously, for one of the greatest soldiers of history in his series, he is a horrible fighter.
What are you talking about? Snake is ridiculously good in Brawl. No other character can boast being able to KO with pretty much every move, basically wielding an invisible sword on random body parts (AKA disjointed hitboxes), the multitudes of projectiles he has, having very fast tilts, jabs, and aerials, not to mention he has good recovery on top of it all.

If anything, Snake should be slower than he already is. Although if you're talking more about the way he was designed in the game, and you want him to walk and run faster, I would change a few things of himself.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Fox Only
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainTMS
View Posts: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoGoron View Post
Really? Are you a fan of the other games? I can understand if you'd never played MGS before then it might seem like this unholy cluster****, but there's some great stuff there.

I thought the story was great, and manages the impossible task of tying together every disparate plot thread left hanging from prior games. I'll admit their were some rather odd parts (Meryl's Wedding or Raiden's "reunion") but the overall story was very well written, and actually intelligent; something we unfortunatly don't see very often.
I played the other three games before MGS4, so yes, I know what's going on in the story. I loved the story for the first three games (especially 2), but 4's was definitely a disappointment to me. Every question in the series was answered, yes, but they ALL were answered by one word: nanomachines. I kind of got tired of hearing about them after a while, though they were the center of the entire plot.

There were some other parts I found disappointing (Raiden becoming a whiny emo *****, for example), but the nanomachines thing is what annoys me the most.

Gameplay is great though. Best of the series.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 927

It had the best gameplay of the series, but that's not saying much.

I think the nanomachine thing was so prevalent because it was further into the future than 2 or 3 (which is pretty far into the future considering there were superpowers and giant robot tanks in the 60's in the Metal Gear universe).

Also, it was the culmination of several subplots from MGS1 and MGS2. The Patriots had already tested their systems in those games, and were using the nanomachines to finally control warfare. It didn't really bother me.
Last Edited by JoGoron; 12-09-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Parrot Grass Parrot Grass is a male United States Parrot Grass is offline
Hero of Time
Send a message via Skype™ to Parrot Grass
Steam ID: KamiTsurugi
View Posts: 13,610

Yeah, nanomachines were a good bit too prevalent in the story. Though I think it makes sense considering what the Patriots are revealed to be, so it is less of an overuse of technology and more of a take-over of a more advanced race.
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 AM
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Fluffy776
View Posts: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
I'd give Borderlands more engaging quests and an actual story. Most of the game consisted of boring fetch quests and grinding. It seemed that the game developers thought that the players would be driven by the incentive to find the best guns rather than play through the game and see how the story goes. What little story is present offers no closure and once its done, it simply asks you to rehash it again on the incentive that you'll be given the awards that you were promised on the first go.

Borderlands was a great game, but it could have been much, MUCH better if the designers had thought up an actual story rather than "Get guns". And at the end of the first playthrough there aren't really any rewards for finding and opening the vault, you just have to fight a giant vagina monster with very paltry spoils.

Hopefully the second playthrough's going to have an actual ending, but I won't hold my breath.

EDIT: I'd also give the soundtrack a new song or two. This game suffers a bad case of The Elder Scrolls syndrome when it comes to music.
I agree on the spoiler part 100%. And same with the music. For a game that had epic music in the trailers, I was expecting epic in game (or at least boss battle) music. It's said it failed to reach that goal. However I just play my own music through the 360 and it works out fine (though still annoying).
"You're right, Half-Life 1 is the God of FPSs. Half-Life: Opposing Force is the holy ghost of FPSs, (Seriously, the holy ghost is really ****ing awesome, but no one EVER talks about it.) and Half-Life 2 is Jesus. (He's pretty cool, and can walk on water and ****, but he can't blow up cities on command like God can, so he's not quite as cool, and yet EVERYONE THINKS HES THE BEST. WTF?)" ~8bit
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,007

If I could make any game better? Hmm.

I would first make all the Tales of Games, at least the cinimatics (All of them) in the anime style like the key cinimatics. I would also make switching between characters mid-battle possible, kinda like how you switch between controlling two different sims in the sims games. The button to do so would be a bit out of the way for other more frequently used action buttons to avoid unwanted switching.

I would also make the customising charts for any game where you create a person, particularly GH or SIMS (ugh ESPECIALLY sims XP) more fun. No more simple slidebars for just weight, height etc. But a slidebar for everything that could be altered via surgery or natural causes. For example, there are some tall people with slightly short legs, or there are some people with long necks and fat bodies. The ability to give alien features too would be fun as well.

My DA Account is now open for business!
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-12-2009, 11:28 PM
Reach out to the truth.
Send a message via AIM to Brotagonist Send a message via Skype™ to Brotagonist
Steam ID: wolfennights

View Posts: 17,658

Bioware is the master at making you interact with cutscenes while also making them look pretty. The conversations in Mass Effect feel so lifelike, even though you choose what your character says.

Tumblr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I read "therapist" as "goat".
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Fluffy776
View Posts: 850

I really enjoy cinematic cut scenes. Like the ones that make up MGS games. I'd rather watch these when they explain important plot elements than anything else. But when it comes to action I like when you do something. Even though pressing A to fire isn't a lot, it still helps make you feel like you're there. Even if only a little bit. And first person cutscenes are only good if you need to show the player something important. And then they need to be short. But to me there are very few times that they shouldn't have just gone to 3rd person.
"You're right, Half-Life 1 is the God of FPSs. Half-Life: Opposing Force is the holy ghost of FPSs, (Seriously, the holy ghost is really ****ing awesome, but no one EVER talks about it.) and Half-Life 2 is Jesus. (He's pretty cool, and can walk on water and ****, but he can't blow up cities on command like God can, so he's not quite as cool, and yet EVERYONE THINKS HES THE BEST. WTF?)" ~8bit
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-13-2009, 05:03 AM
Aerodynamic
View Posts: 691

Cutscenes like this are the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtiXwvni6ng

---------------------------------
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Sentimental Macchiato Sentimental Macchiato is a female United States Sentimental Macchiato is offline
Your daily 12 year-old in a cup
View Posts: 972

If I could fix a video game it would be those blasted Zelda CDi-GAMES!!! Aren't I right? I mean really , Link:"Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!!!! SQUADELAA!!!!!!111111!!"
*huff huff huff* sorry, but I just hated those games, they annoy me o.e and maybe change super smash bros. brawl and bring Roy back... and maybe put... I dunno... Mewtwo? He was stronger than Lucario.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,060

I'd make Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep available on the DS as well as the PSP, and that full 3D version of Chain of Memories come out in Australia.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Reach out to the truth.
Send a message via AIM to Brotagonist Send a message via Skype™ to Brotagonist
Steam ID: wolfennights

View Posts: 17,658

I'd make Kingdom Hearts Coded have a release outside of Japan.

Tumblr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I read "therapist" as "goat".
Last Edited by Brotagonist; 12-15-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2009, 03:55 AM
#notallmen

View Posts: 6,006

I'd want to fix Tomb Raider. It was truly a great series when it started out, and I think the first games are still great masterpieces. I'm not entirely sure how I would fix it. I'd love this series to be more innovative and actually make some of its more interesting plots work well.

I thought of Parasite Eve and, as much as I love this series, there could be some improvements. The RE4 3rd person PoV would work awesomely, and I heard that the upcoming title for the PSP will actually incorporate it. Regardless of its RE-clone image, I think it's more than the generic product and stands out on its own even when it adopts more of the RE elements.
Last Edited by IGNIS; 12-15-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Goron
View Posts: 227

I would include the Batmobile in Batman:Arkham Island!!! I so wanted to ride it.

Tags
change, fix, game