Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 12:24 AM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,388
Re: Fallout 3

No I didn't. I did what the developers intended. It's oversight on their part if they've failed to notice a game-breaking feature they've included in their games since the early 2000's.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 AM
formerly known as daeth
Steam ID: terrible
View Posts: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodd View Post
No I didn't. I did what the developers intended. It's oversight on their part if they've failed to notice a game-breaking feature they've included in their games since the early 2000's.
You aren't forced to use it. I didn't.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 AM
life's a ***** and i'm gonna spank it
View Posts: 6,197

How do you think game creators should fix your quick-save problem, Jodd?

Last Edited by Prof. Fish; 11-25-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Dr Worm
Send a message via Skype™ to Pignoah
View Posts: 467

Quote:
One of the fundamental concepts in a game is it's risk/reward system. It's what makes the game interesting. High risks should have high rewards, and low risks should have low rewards. Alternating between high- and low-risk situation sets the game's pace.

Fallout 3 HAS no risk. You're just constantly rewarded. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll get bored of pressing F5 before you undertake any sort of action. After about 30 minutes of play, I realized the easiest way to get anything done in the game was to press F5, try it, and then load again if it failed. It's the same with Oblivion. Making money is as easy as F5-pickpocketing until you've stolen every item in the game. Hacking computer terminals or picking locks, F5 until you get it right. If you die, don't worry, you probably hit F5 8 seconds ago, just go back. There's absolutely no risk in the game, it's just reward, and it gets boring after about 2 hours.

I found it pretty tough at parts on the Very Hard difficulty, although I agree with you to an extent. Deathclaws are a joke if you have the dart gun. But Romaer Feral Ghouls and Albino radscorpions are seriously difficult, as are the swampfolk from Point Lookout. There's no way you could've found that easy.

That's a half decent point unlike the quicksave one, because, I don;t know of a single player game in the last ten years on PC that doesn't have a quick save feature, so if F3 is broken, all single player PC games are. Secondly, that doesn't undermine there seriously amount of detail put into the Fallout world. It's such a glib reason, I don't even know where to begin.

Feel like you totally miss the point of playing games.
Last Edited by Pignoah; 11-25-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 AM
It is difficult to be alive.
Send a message via Skype™ to Jodd
View Posts: 11,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Fish View Post
How do you think game creators should fix your quick-save problem, Jodd?
The game world should be saved upon every action you perform. If you break a computer terminal, it should mean it actually breaks. Not that you have to reload. If you break a door, it should be broken. It shouldn't mean you need to press F9.

I'd also like it if they'd put any effort at all into player animations, and got more than five people to do voice-overs.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
life's a ***** and i'm gonna spank it
View Posts: 6,197

Quote:
The game world should be saved upon every action you perform. If you break a computer terminal, it should mean it actually breaks. Not that you have to reload. If you break a door, it should be broken. It shouldn't mean you need to press F9.
What kind of actions? What if I just want to quit the game and not lose progress?

It's impossible to create a save-system that eliminates scumming yet conveniently adapts to the player's saving needs. Either you're letting the player save whenever they want, which is most convenient, or you aren't. Letting the player save whenever is the better of the two options, because the player is in control. If you don't want to reload after breaking that terminal, then you don't have to.

#27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Goron
View Posts: 208

i just got broken steel, point lookout and the pitt today, i love the game, i'm nearly at 50 hours now, and i'm not anywhere near finished. I've barely played mw2 because of Fallout
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 927

After playing through the Pitt and Broken Steel, I don't think I'm gonna get any of the other DLC. They were buggy and, poorly written, and not that great at all. I thought the main game was good, but I can't stand the DLC.
Last Edited by JoGoron; 11-25-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
i have foursomes and i don't havta force 'em
View Posts: 1,868

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeth View Post
Name a recent open non linear RPG that is better than Fallout 3 or Oblivion. There aren't even any comparable games. If you don't like that style of game that's cool, but lots of other people do.
Oblivion was absolutely spectacular when it came out. It took me about 15 hours of play to realize I wasn't even on the main questline anymore.

Fallout 3 though... just bad. Just plain old bad. You can't take the Elder Scrolls combat system and try to implement it into the Fallout series, which involves guns, because the result is something horribly broken. It's the main reason I stopped playing the game. The combat sucked too much to be bothered with.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Fluffy776
View Posts: 850

It's a great game but it really needed more quests. The world map is simply huge, but there is no real incentive to explore it all. oblivion had a **** ton side quests in it and I feel Fallout 3 need that too. There are so many stories that could be told as a quest (the Grunwhich building, and quite a number of towns and other places) that just aren't that, as I said, I feel empty when I play or do something. I feel they finally got the idea with the quest content with the "Point Lookout" DLC. There were a lot of things there that were side quests(the Chinese spy one for example) that wouldn't have been sidequests in The Capitol Wasteland (Chances are you'd have still gotten a reward of some kind however). There are a lot of things that piss me off in the game (the fact ammo and chems don't weigh anything, the fact some things weigh too much, and the lack of strategy when compared with the first 2 Fallouts) but the game is still a lot of fun. I think they did a pretty good job as far as continuing the feel of the previous Fallouts while making the game enjoyable. Lets face it, the style of game play from the older Fallouts wouldn't be enjoyed in this day and age.
"You're right, Half-Life 1 is the God of FPSs. Half-Life: Opposing Force is the holy ghost of FPSs, (Seriously, the holy ghost is really ****ing awesome, but no one EVER talks about it.) and Half-Life 2 is Jesus. (He's pretty cool, and can walk on water and ****, but he can't blow up cities on command like God can, so he's not quite as cool, and yet EVERYONE THINKS HES THE BEST. WTF?)" ~8bit
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKat55 View Post
It's a great game but it really needed more quests. The world map is simply huge, but there is no real incentive to explore it all. oblivion had a **** ton side quests in it and I feel Fallout 3 need that too. There are so many stories that could be told as a quest (the Grunwhich building, and quite a number of towns and other places) that just aren't that, as I said, I feel empty when I play or do something. I feel they finally got the idea with the quest content with the "Point Lookout" DLC. There were a lot of things there that were side quests(the Chinese spy one for example) that wouldn't have been sidequests in The Capitol Wasteland (Chances are you'd have still gotten a reward of some kind however). There are a lot of things that piss me off in the game (the fact ammo and chems don't weigh anything, the fact some things weigh too much, and the lack of strategy when compared with the first 2 Fallouts) but the game is still a lot of fun. I think they did a pretty good job as far as continuing the feel of the previous Fallouts while making the game enjoyable. Lets face it, the style of game play from the older Fallouts wouldn't be enjoyed in this day and age.
This game had way more sidequests than Oblivion and each one was about twice as intuitive and engaging.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Knight of Skyloft
Steam ID: Fluffy776
View Posts: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
This game had way more sidequests than Oblivion and each one was about twice as intuitive and engaging.
It felt like Obivion had more. But none the less it still needed more side quests. I agree that the side quests it had were really good side quests, but it still needed more.
"You're right, Half-Life 1 is the God of FPSs. Half-Life: Opposing Force is the holy ghost of FPSs, (Seriously, the holy ghost is really ****ing awesome, but no one EVER talks about it.) and Half-Life 2 is Jesus. (He's pretty cool, and can walk on water and ****, but he can't blow up cities on command like God can, so he's not quite as cool, and yet EVERYONE THINKS HES THE BEST. WTF?)" ~8bit
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Goron
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack
View Posts: 247

Didn't like this game, i picked it up played it, finished it and could never pick it back up again. Personally i'm not really into the 'apocalypse' kind of games. i like FPS's like COD:MW2.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Panic bomb, baby.
View Posts: 1,329

If you can't take Oblivion mechanics and apply them to fallout then what can you do? I mean, go back and play Fallout 1 & 2. They have not aged well, at all. I think Bethesda did the best that they could to revive a franchise that was pretty much dead.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 11-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Think different.
Steam ID: barker09 Wii U ID: Amazin-Spidey
View Posts: 7,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wyrm View Post
If you can't take Oblivion mechanics and apply them to fallout then what can you do? I mean, go back and play Fallout 1 & 2. They have not aged well, at all. I think Bethesda did the best that they could to revive a franchise that was pretty much dead.
Yeah. Got to give Bethesda some credit for reviving the Fallout Universe. Despite the bugs and flaws the game had, it still is a good game none-the-less.

Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!