Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
ZU fighting game guru.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerboi
View Posts: 5,061
Tigerboi teaches you fighting game terminology! Yes, you!

I noticed that alot of people here don't get it, so here goes. I'll answer questions and update the first post if anyone needs one answered.

These terms were not made up by me. They're simply used in the fighting game world.

I: Play styles

-Zoning (Also known as keepaway, turtling and camping. Called safing in the MMO world): To use your defense and reaction and wait for your opponent to make a mistake before you attack. Typically requires the player to have quick reflexes in order to react to his opponents offense. Certain characters are designed with this style in mind.

Popular characters of this playstyle:

Sagat. (Sf4)
Guile.(SF4)
Cable. (Marvel Vs. Capcom 2)
Chun-li (street fighter 3: third strike)
Devil-Jin (tekken 5 DR)
Hiheichi Mishima (tekken 5 DR)
v-13 (blazblue)
Steve (tekken)

-Rushdown: (also known as bulldogging) To pressure the opponent and break their defense. Typically a flurry of coordinated attacks. The exact opposite of Zoning. Usually requires the player to think rather quickly in order to confuse the defender and get them to block wrong or be thrown. Requires more skill than turtling do to rushdowns being less safe than waiting and blocking in most games. Much like zoning, some characters are designed with this in mind. These characters are typically very quick in order to compliment that style of play, but not always because grapplers are considered rushdown characters. Grapplers tend to require rushdown play in order to play properly but rely on damaging command throws for mixups rather than speed.

Popular characters of this style:

Magneto (Marvel vs. capcom 2)
Guy (street fighter alpha)
Ibuki (Street Fighter 3)
Millia Rage (Guilty gear)
Howrang (Tekken)
Rufus (SF4)
C. Viper (SF4)
Zangief in virtually every game he's been in.
Iron tager (blazblue)

II: Cancels.

In general cancel means to cancel one animation with another animation. Obviously, one move with another move. Virtually all fighting games have some form of cancel, however some are VERY different that others.

-Special Cancel: (a 2D fighter term) Perform a normal and immediately perform a special move allowing for the moves to combo. The Special move cancels the recovery of the normal.

The is usually the basis for combos in 2D games.

-Super Cancel: Same principle as above, only with a character's super move. Works off of specials.

For example a textbook cancel in Street fighter 3 would be, with ryu, to do a crouching medium kick, cancel it into his fireball, then cancel it into his super.

It's as simple as inputting all the commands back to back.

-Jump Cancel/Super Jump Cancel: Cancel the recovery of a move with a jump. Can usually only be done with certain attacks. Serves to extend combos. For example, in Marvel vs. Capcom 2, super jumping after a launcher for an air combo is a type of jump cancel.

-Dash Cancel: There are two kinds.

Canceling a move with a dash:Some games allow you to cancel the recovery of certain moves with a dash. Used to extend combos usually.

Canceling the dash itself with another move: In Tekken, Back Dash cancels (BDCS) are used to make backwards dashes safe. This do to dashing in tekken leaving your character open usually. In Capcom's VS series you can cancel a dash animation with a crouch. When done in rapid succession, you get a wavedash.

-Roman Cancels: (NOTE: Roman cancels were the original name for the this feature started by Guilty gear. A 2D fighting game feature, it has recently been borrowed by capcom and used again in BB. It has a different name in each game, but the fighting game community usually refers to them all as roman cancels to make things easier.)

A roman cancel is feature that requires some form of meter in order to use. It's a basic technique that allows you to return your character to a neutral state REGARDLESS of what animation you're in. It has tons of uses, obviously.

To continue combos that normally would not be possible.

To make unsafe moves safe.

To keep offensive pressure going.

In SF4 this is called Focus Attack Dash canceling (FADC) and it costs half a super meter to perform. Also, it can only be done on the ground.

In Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, it's called "Baroque!" and requires red health. It also gives you a temporary damage boost.

In BlazBlue it's called Rapid Cancels. costs half an overdrive bar.

III: Combos

A combo is simply a string of moves that combine together in order to cause extra damage to the opponent. Allow me to stress that once the first hit lands the rest of the string must be completely inescapable in order for it to be a combo.

-Juggle combo: a combo in which the first hit knocks the enemy into the air allowing for the player to start a string while he/she stays on the ground. (hence the name, juggle) Used in all 3D fighters.

-Ground combo A combo that leaves both players on the ground. No further explanation needed.

-Air Combo: Similar to juggles, except they require the attack to jump in order to continue the string.

-Infinite Combo: a combo that HAS NO END. Once the combo begins, it will continue until the player either makes a mistake or the character being attacked loses all health. Infinite combos, by this principle, are essentially one hit kills. due to this, they are usually the most avoided thing when making a fighting game.

Character specific combos: as the name implies, these are combos that only work on certain characters do to things like hitbox differences. These range from being completely worthless to being major part of your character's metagame.

Sidenote: Damage scaling.

Damage scaling is a feature found in all fighting games of modern time. It's a feature that basically decreases the amount of damage the combo does the longer it goes on. It's the percentage next to the damage number in all training modes.

VI: Move properties and types..

In general, every fighting game has at east three different types of moves outside of throws. Highs, Mids, and lows. Highs can be blocked while standing and can be ducked under. Because they can simply be blocked by standing, high are usually the fastest moves. Lows have to be blocked while crouching and are often slower than highs. Mids are defended differently depending on the game. In 3D fighters mids have to be blocked while standing. However in 2D fighters, they can be blocked standing or crouching. So to make up for this, 2D fighters have moves called overheads that hit crouching enemies and must be blocked while standing. Also, most air moves count as overheads.

-Safe on block: When a move is safe on block, that means that you can have that certain move blocked and not have to fear a counter attack. Unsafe on block is the exact opposite. When a move is unsafe when blocked that means your character is left wide open for attack when your opponent blocks this move.

For example, In Soul Calibur4, Cervantes's B,B,B command is not safe on block. The enemy has enough to time to hit Cervantes with a move before he can return to his neutral stance.

However, Cassandra's B,B is safe on block. If that move is blocked, she has no worry of the opponent hitting her before she can move again.

There are certain moves that for some reason are unsafe even when they HIT. You should...never ever do these moves.

Note: HOW safe a move is depends on how long the move keeps the opponent in the block stance (this is called block stun) and how fast the character recovers from doing the move. This is called Frame Advantage

-Priority: (2D fighting)
Priority is the term used for how much of a chance an attack has of stopping another attack when they come into contact. The winner is the move that the game prioritizes in this situation. Usually high priority attacks are special moves (like a shoryuken) but there are a lot of high priority normal moves as well. Moves of equal priority will cause the players to (depending on the game) trade hits causing damage to both players or clash, when no player takes damage.

-Frames of invincibility: (2D fighting) Certain moves are invincible for fractions of a second. Obviously this means the character can't take damage in this time period or be interrupted because the character's hitbox disappears. The invincibility only lasts for certain frames in the move animation and are called Frames of Invincibility. Almost always, the move has invincibility usually only around the start of the animation.

And example of a move that has this property would be Akuma's Heavy punch (HP) Shoryuken (also known as DP or SRK. Also called Shoryu.) in SF4. The start of this move is completely invincible.

There are some exceptions to the invincibility on startup rule. Akuma's light punch(LP) Shoryuken in HDR has NO HIT BOX AT ALL. Meaning he can't be hit for the DURATION of the move.

-Knockdown:Simply put, an attack that causes the enemy to fall the ground. These are important because a knocked down opponent has limited options.

-launcher: a move the knocks the enemy into the air and works as a combo starter.

-startup: This is the time period between when the player presses the button and how long the move takes to become an active threat to the enemy. Obviously, the shorter the startup window, the better.

-recovery: After a move as finished being active, the recovery is how long it takes for the character to return to neutral state. The longer the recovery window, the more unsafe the move is on block. Moves with long recovery should be seldom used outside of combos do to the risk.

-pokes: a poke is a move that allows you to attack your enemy while staying out of their attack range. Obvious advantages are usage in zoning.

V: Character vs. Character Terms.

-Tiers/Character rankings: Every character has a set amount of tools they can use that shape their strategy. Understanding this is requires the player to understand why another player can get hit by a move easily. As a result, some characters naturally end up being more practical than others. This is unavoidable. The only way to perfectly balance a fighting game is to have every character be exactly the same.

A character's placing on the tier list is to show how effective they can possibly be. Characters that are high tier are agreed to have the most options when trying to win. Low tier ones are agreed to have the least.

However, whether or not low-tier character can beat a high-tier character in high level play depends on how balanced the game is. For example, low tier characters do well in high level street fighter 4 fairly often. However, in Street Fighter 3 third strike, low tier characters virtually never win in high level because of how unbalanced the game is.

Regardless to how balanced the game is however, this always is a factor.

-Matchups: When learning a character this is possibly the most essential thing to know about them. A matchup simply means what you have to do to win against a certain character and vice versa. This is mostly known as how easy it is for your character to beat a certain other and what approach they have to take to do it.

For example in Street Fighter 4, in Ken vs. Dhalsim....(I'm using this as in example because I play ken.)

In this match, Ken has a REALLY hard time getting close do to Dhalsim's zoning game. However, Dhalsim has really weak close range game while Ken has one of the strongest. Dhalsim can win this match as long as he never let's Ken get close.

And Ken can win this match as long as he somehow able to keep pressure on dhalsim once getting in close. However to get in close, Ken has to WAIT and take his time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcgnvNZ5eM&fmt=22

This is a video of me playing the best Dhalsim in Tennessee for one round. If you watch what we do closely, you can see that it fits my description.
Last Edited by Tigerboi; 10-27-2009 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 PM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
Steam ID: the_snow_storm
View Posts: 9,458
Re: Tigerboi teaches you fighting game terminology! Yes, you!

But I play fighitng games for fun. Should I worry about this list?

Anyways, MUGEN, because it's a ♥♥♥♥ty ass fighting game, ignore all of these terms because...just because.

The affluenza made me do it
Last Edited by Snow_Storm; 10-22-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,234

What, no examples from Smash Bros.?

Or, more reasonably, I wonder why there're no examples from Soul Calibur.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Guide to Soulcalibur:

When using maxi, spam X.

When using anyone else, hold A down 'till the right moment and then throw that sucker.

When using Kilik, go throw yourself off a cliff, you prick.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Guide to Soulcalibur:

When using maxi, spam X.

When using anyone else, hold A down 'till the right moment and then throw that sucker.

When using Kilik, go throw yourself off a cliff, you prick.
Which console?
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Whispers in the darkness and revolution in the air
View Posts: 1,118

Curiosity gets the best of me, even if I know this might not be place for it.

So...
Are you gonna cover parrying on your next update?
What about combo breakers from Killer instinct?
Are you gonna talk about over powered characters?

Signature by DaltonR6
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 PM
RIP Satoshi Kon
Send a message via AIM to Durga
View Posts: 9,614

So what style suits Cammy?

Websites you should visit:
D2 Brigade | TGWTG | My Twitter

My RP character:
|Valdessia|
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 PM
ZU fighting game guru.

In Sf4? Rushdown.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-TUuRIb6KE

Quote:
What, no examples from Smash Bros.?

Because smash is really far removed from standard fighting games. Too far to use most of the same terminology.

As of Brawl, the series doesn't even really have combos anymore, for example.

And i din't use any soul calibur ones because it doesn't matter.

I just kind of....didn't.

Also, Maxi sucks.

I'll update later.
Last Edited by Tigerboi; 10-22-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Panic bomb, baby.
View Posts: 1,329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
So what style suits Cammy?
I always did Zone type fighting with her.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Think different.
Steam ID: barker09 Wii U ID: Amazin-Spidey
View Posts: 7,885

Surprised there was no examples from SCIV.

Join me and like-minded ZU'ers in the Sport, Health, and Fitness Thread to create a support group to inspire and motivate others to reach their health, fitness, and wellness goals!
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 AM
ZU fighting game guru.

All in due time.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 AM
It's a ribbon!
Send a message via AIM to insaney Send a message via Skype™ to insaney
Steam ID: etherwinterrain 3DS ID: 4742 5819 4763

View Posts: 27,331

I only play with Xianghua in SCIII.

I can do the rushdown or turtling easy with her, depending on my opponent. My brother plays with Maxi and he can't handle the switch between playing styles, especially if I switch from rushdown to turtling (or vice versa) mid-round.

He also can't handle when I cancel her combos during rushdown to exploit a hole in his defense. Tis so much fun to see him go bleh.

He also plays with Astaroth. Uh, total rushdown against him means he can't move, only block.

EDIT: Thanks for the terminology knowledge x3 Before this, I said "rush" or "relentless" for Rushdown and "defensive" for camping.
Last Edited by insaney; 10-23-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

Quote:
Which console?
Secksbox.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-23-2009, 01:23 PM
ZU fighting game guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
What kind of play style would Bison and Vega be? If I had to pick a word that describes it, I'd say "sniping", but I wanna know the generally-used word.

In SF4 Bison is versatile. He can turtle (with standing medium k (st. MK) and standing heavy kick (st. HK)) rushdown using his amazing dash, light kick knee press (it's safe IIRC) and throws.

Vega.....yeah. Vega has to poke and kara throw. That's all he has. Wall dives are terrible and get beat by a lot of moves. So vega is more about turtling in sf4. Which sucks because he's terrible on defense.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM
ZU fighting game guru.

Updated the first post. More to come.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-25-2009, 04:47 PM
ZU fighting game guru.

It is.

BUT

BE CAREFUL.

At certain distances it's not safe on block. (from close)

You can use it to escape crossups and to catch Akuma while he's teleporting or landing from an air fireball.

Head stomp IS YOUR FRIEND. It does a lot of damage and has godly priority. But you want to learn combos. A basic one is jab link into cr. mk into knee press. Push them to the corner and keep them there with your pokes.
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 AM
ZU fighting game guru.

Updated.

Tags
fighting, game, teaches, terminlogoy, terminology, tigerboi