$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Fab Emblem
View Posts: 12,301
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spork View Post
At first upon reading the question, the stock-standard 'love' answer came to mind quickly. But then I really thought about it and realised that the answer of 'love' is pretty selfish if you think about the answer in a different way.

Money might not be able to buy you happiness, that's true, but if you were pulling in 'super amounts of money every two days' then you could do a lot to help other people's happiness. You could buy insane amounts of food and clothing for the poor, for example. You could use your wealth to buy your way into influential political groups and pressure the people in power to do good things in the world. You could supply materials for people to have access to clean drinking water in all corners of the world. You could help people supply much needed vaccines.

Thousands, maybe millions, maybe billions, of people's lives would be better off and all it would cost you is your personal romantic happiness.
That is true. It depends on what you do with the money. It also depends on the person - some are very empathetic, others not.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Kel-bel Heroine Kel-bel Heroine is a female United States Kel-bel Heroine is offline
The Heroine of Time
View Posts: 326

Bah, why can't I have both? Ah well. I will someday become a doctor and make a lot of mula, but if I had to choose.....Love it would be.

Thanks to Dark Entity for the banners, and Zorathan for the siggy!
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
If you have the courage to jump... then have the courage to live
Send a message via AIM to LightHawk
View Posts: 613

In option two your rich with no chance of love but with option one you get love and you still have a chance to be rich or at least live a modest life style which is fine with me. I choose love.

By Panique
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
strummin on a streetlight
3DS ID: 3626-0056-0517
View Posts: 4,482

I want both obviously.

Sometimes I fantasize about being one of those card counters who can go in on a weekend and walk away with 50 g's.

Then i could work at starbucks and be a secret rich person.
No one need ever know that I have serious monayz.

#25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Intelligence seems to be overrated.
Send a message via AIM to Alonely Send a message via Yahoo to Alonely Send a message via Skype™ to Alonely
Steam ID: kaytree

View Posts: 3,261

Neither. I'd rather have a career I enjoy but not be in love than be in love without a career.

[Facebook | last.fm | Twitter | Xfire: zdfettucini]

=D
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM

^and that is exactly why I'm so frustrated with careerist girls.

(no offense to you alonely)

#27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,232

Yeah this is a silly question in my view. Clearly the only answer is the money, providing it's a job worth having and not like, professional toilet cleaner.

I can't buy happiness but I can buy suitable alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
^and that is exactly why I'm so frustrated with careerist girls.
What, because they haven't got time for you?

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
Last Edited by Lord Zero; 09-06-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zero View Post
No, because after two years spending time with them and being intimate it's suddenly time to switch grad-schools or jobs and then long distance becomes an obvious no, so the inevitable end comes crashing down around me--like a descending wall of broken bricks, emotional bombardment--in a seemingly arbitrary manner which I somehow never am able to prevent.

It sucks.

Last Edited by era; 09-07-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: it's more poetic that way. Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 05:29 PM
American Psycho.
View Posts: 2,447

I prefer money.

Relationships are dumb and always end in flames.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Banned User
Send a message via Yahoo to Potent Col
View Posts: 1,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zero View Post
Yeah this is a silly question in my view. Clearly the only answer is the money, providing it's a job worth having and not like, professional toilet cleaner.

I can't buy happiness but I can buy suitable alternatives.

Umm, I like cleaning things, thank you very much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
I prefer money.

Relationships are dumb and always end in flames.
Depends on your chemistry with the other person, really...
Last Edited by Potent Col; 09-07-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Intelligence seems to be overrated.
Send a message via AIM to Alonely Send a message via Yahoo to Alonely Send a message via Skype™ to Alonely
Steam ID: kaytree

View Posts: 3,261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
No, because after two years spending time with them and being intimate it's suddenly time to switch grad-schools or jobs and then long distance becomes an obvious no, so the inevitable end comes crashing down around me--like being emotionally bombarded by a proverbial wall of broken bricks--in a seemingly arbitrary manner which I somehow never am able to prevent.

It sucks.
I can do long distance.

But it would be long distance with someone with a career. I don't ever want to find a guy who's so focused on finding love that his career is on a back burner.

[Facebook | last.fm | Twitter | Xfire: zdfettucini]

=D
Last Edited by Alonely; 09-07-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonely View Post
I can do long distance.

But it would be long distance with someone with a career. I don't ever want to find a guy who's so focused on finding love that his career is on a back burner.
In my opinion, life withjout love has little point to it. Love is natural, but career is man-made community stuff.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 AM
View Posts: 10,487

^ Eh, I'd argue that for some, the need to be in a relationship is just as much a social construction as the need to have a career. After all, it's natural to want to feel capable and independent, and also to set goals, and having a career is a part of that for many people.

I think I'd choose money over love. For one thing, as has already been said, there are a variety of ways I could choose to spend this money - I could not only ensure complete financial security for myself and my family, but also help out those who are in serious need. And I'm really not that fussed about ever being in a relationship.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarael View Post
^ Eh, I'd argue that for some, the need to be in a relationship is just as much a social construction as the need to have a career. After all, it's natural to want to feel capable and independent, and also to set goals, and having a career is a part of that for many people.

I think I'd choose money over love. For one thing, as has already been said, there are a variety of ways I could choose to spend this money - I could not only ensure complete financial security for myself and my family, but also help out those who are in serious need. And I'm really not that fussed about ever being in a relationship.
Meh, matter of person desires, you could say. Some don't feel secure in life if they don't feel love, and that can cause problems with depression and the likes.

In my case, I don't really care about me family with the excpetion of a few people, so I find my love in relationship. But some some, lonliness can be the key to depression, which is not good for mental health. But if you're interested in money, you probably already have quite a big, loving family, so you feel less need for a relationship.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 142

Neither.

I don't give a damn about money. I'd be perfectly happy living in a little one-bedroom apartment making enough to buy food and books and maybe go out for a beer every once in a while.

I don't give a damn about love. I've never been in a relationship. I don't see this changing any time soon. Even if it does, I doubt it would happen as a result of an arbitrary choice or be worth making one over.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 AM
friendly shadow friend
Send a message via Skype™ to Ben

View Posts: 5,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent Col View Post
Love is natural, but career is man-made community stuff.
Questionable. To be honest, I'd say that career's and such like are more natural than love. For one, humans are essentially pack animals, and because of that a heirachy structure is second nature to us. The boss gives the orders, and the other guys go find wood, or kill innocent animals, or what have you. The career community we have today is essentially the same, except you're allowed to choose what you do to some extend, and the rewards are bits of paper, not food.

Love, on the other hand is arguably not natural. Humans aren't really meant for longevity. Ideally we're supposed to have children by 14 or 15, and grandchildren before we die at 30. Only superior technology etc. has allowed us to live longer. Love is much more a modern concept than careers. Before that sex was pretty much for reproduction only, or marriage was to do with status. Heck, look at arranged marriages. It still happens today.

#37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uǝzoɹɟ View Post
Questionable. To be honest, I'd say that career's and such like are more natural than love. For one, humans are essentially pack animals, and because of that a heirachy structure is second nature to us. The boss gives the orders, and the other guys go find wood, or kill innocent animals, or what have you. The career community we have today is essentially the same, except you're allowed to choose what you do to some extend, and the rewards are bits of paper, not food.

Love, on the other hand is arguably not natural. Humans aren't really meant for longevity. Ideally we're supposed to have children by 14 or 15, and grandchildren before we die at 30. Only superior technology etc. has allowed us to live longer. Love is much more a modern concept than careers. Before that sex was pretty much for reproduction only, or marriage was to do with status. Heck, look at arranged marriages. It still happens today.
What you mean is that sexual love is natural rather than emotional love? True, as if it wasn't for sexual love, humans wouldn't be born in the first place to even hunt for food.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 AM
SNOW_STORM IS THE BEST
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
Steam ID: HALF LIFE 3 IS NEVER GONNA BE RELEASED!
View Posts: 10,090

Being a college student, money plz. Love is already there with your friends, your family, and when you have enough money, you pretty much can get your significant other. After all, name me one first date that didn't involve spending cash. Face it, the only way you can really woo that girl you're infatuated with is if you can spend your money in such a way that is romantic!

Love is an emotion after all. An overrated, over-marketed, over-hyped, and over-dramatized emotion. Money is something that can drive you to greed yes, but it's also good for buying yourself a house, utilities, higher education, food, transportation, and charity. Love can't get you food or clean water. (you know, things you need to survive!) Love can't get you an apartment. Love can't get you into that college you've been trying to get into and unless you're offering to sell your dignity, love can't get you around town or even across the country!

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
Last Edited by Nox; 09-07-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
View Posts: 9,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent Col View Post
In my opinion, life withjout love has little point to it. Love is natural, but career is man-made community stuff.
Surely you've been able to enjoy yourself without codependence.

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Kokiri
Send a message via ICQ to Ngozi Send a message via AIM to Ngozi Send a message via Yahoo to Ngozi Send a message via Skype™ to Ngozi
View Posts: 73

i would choose love

Sig and avy byDaltonR6

Tags
love, money