Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
ich Will Swedish Empire ich Will is offline
Fab Emblem
Join Date: Apr 2003
View Posts: 12,301
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spork View Post
At first upon reading the question, the stock-standard 'love' answer came to mind quickly. But then I really thought about it and realised that the answer of 'love' is pretty selfish if you think about the answer in a different way.

Money might not be able to buy you happiness, that's true, but if you were pulling in 'super amounts of money every two days' then you could do a lot to help other people's happiness. You could buy insane amounts of food and clothing for the poor, for example. You could use your wealth to buy your way into influential political groups and pressure the people in power to do good things in the world. You could supply materials for people to have access to clean drinking water in all corners of the world. You could help people supply much needed vaccines.

Thousands, maybe millions, maybe billions, of people's lives would be better off and all it would cost you is your personal romantic happiness.
That is true. It depends on what you do with the money. It also depends on the person - some are very empathetic, others not.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Kel-bel Heroine Kel-bel Heroine is a female United States Kel-bel Heroine is offline
The Heroine of Time
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
View Posts: 326
Re: Love vs. Money

Bah, why can't I have both? Ah well. I will someday become a doctor and make a lot of mula, but if I had to choose.....Love it would be.
__________________




Thanks to Dark Entity for the banners, and Zorathan for the siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
LightHawk LightHawk is a male United States LightHawk is offline
If you have the courage to jump... then have the courage to live
Send a message via AIM to LightHawk
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: With the Moogles
View Posts: 613
Re: Love vs. Money

In option two your rich with no chance of love but with option one you get love and you still have a chance to be rich or at least live a modest life style which is fine with me. I choose love.
__________________

By Panique
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
era era is a male Viet Nam era is offline
strummin on a streetlight
3DS ID: 3626-0056-0517
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goat Rodeo
View Posts: 4,482
Re: Love vs. Money

I want both obviously.

Sometimes I fantasize about being one of those card counters who can go in on a weekend and walk away with 50 g's.

Then i could work at starbucks and be a secret rich person.
No one need ever know that I have serious monayz.
__________________
Quote:
Three logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks, Do all of you want a drink? The first logician says, I dont know. The second logician says, I dont know. The third logician says, Yes!

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Alonely Alonely is a female United States Alonely is offline
Intelligence seems to be overrated.
Send a message via AIM to Alonely Send a message via Yahoo to Alonely Send a message via Skype™ to Alonely
Steam ID: kaytree

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 2014 A.D.
View Posts: 3,261
Re: Love vs. Money

Neither. I'd rather have a career I enjoy but not be in love than be in love without a career.
__________________
#gmc IRC - Join us, game makers and players!
Katie's Language Blog =)

[Facebook | last.fm | Twitter | Xfire: zdfettucini]

=D
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM
era era is a male Viet Nam era is offline
strummin on a streetlight
3DS ID: 3626-0056-0517
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goat Rodeo
View Posts: 4,482
Re: Love vs. Money

^and that is exactly why I'm so frustrated with careerist girls.

(no offense to you alonely)
__________________
Quote:
Three logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks, Do all of you want a drink? The first logician says, I dont know. The second logician says, I dont know. The third logician says, Yes!

Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Lord Zero Lord Zero is a male Wales Lord Zero is offline
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cymru
View Posts: 9,232
Re: Love vs. Money

Yeah this is a silly question in my view. Clearly the only answer is the money, providing it's a job worth having and not like, professional toilet cleaner.

I can't buy happiness but I can buy suitable alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
^and that is exactly why I'm so frustrated with careerist girls.
What, because they haven't got time for you?
__________________

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
Last Edited by Lord Zero; 09-06-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 05:05 PM
era era is a male Viet Nam era is offline
strummin on a streetlight
3DS ID: 3626-0056-0517
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goat Rodeo
View Posts: 4,482
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zero View Post
What, because they haven't got time for you?
No, because after two years spending time with them and being intimate it's suddenly time to switch grad-schools or jobs and then long distance becomes an obvious no, so the inevitable end comes crashing down around me--like a descending wall of broken bricks, emotional bombardment--in a seemingly arbitrary manner which I somehow never am able to prevent.

It sucks.
__________________
Quote:
Three logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks, Do all of you want a drink? The first logician says, I dont know. The second logician says, I dont know. The third logician says, Yes!

Last Edited by era; 09-07-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: it's more poetic that way. Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Ketos Ketos is a female Canada Ketos is offline
American Psycho.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Manhattan.
View Posts: 2,447
Re: Love vs. Money

I prefer money.

Relationships are dumb and always end in flames.
__________________
Oh, the humanity.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Potent Col Potent Col is a male Canary Islands Potent Col is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Yahoo to Potent Col
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silent Hill
View Posts: 1,416
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zero View Post
Yeah this is a silly question in my view. Clearly the only answer is the money, providing it's a job worth having and not like, professional toilet cleaner.

I can't buy happiness but I can buy suitable alternatives.



What, because they haven't got time for you?
Umm, I like cleaning things, thank you very much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
I prefer money.

Relationships are dumb and always end in flames.
Depends on your chemistry with the other person, really...
Last Edited by Potent Col; 09-07-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Alonely Alonely is a female United States Alonely is offline
Intelligence seems to be overrated.
Send a message via AIM to Alonely Send a message via Yahoo to Alonely Send a message via Skype™ to Alonely
Steam ID: kaytree

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 2014 A.D.
View Posts: 3,261
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
No, because after two years spending time with them and being intimate it's suddenly time to switch grad-schools or jobs and then long distance becomes an obvious no, so the inevitable end comes crashing down around me--like being emotionally bombarded by a proverbial wall of broken bricks--in a seemingly arbitrary manner which I somehow never am able to prevent.

It sucks.
I can do long distance.

But it would be long distance with someone with a career. I don't ever want to find a guy who's so focused on finding love that his career is on a back burner.
__________________
#gmc IRC - Join us, game makers and players!
Katie's Language Blog =)

[Facebook | last.fm | Twitter | Xfire: zdfettucini]

=D
Last Edited by Alonely; 09-07-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Potent Col Potent Col is a male Canary Islands Potent Col is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Yahoo to Potent Col
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silent Hill
View Posts: 1,416
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonely View Post
I can do long distance.

But it would be long distance with someone with a career. I don't ever want to find a guy who's so focused on finding love that his career is on a back burner.
In my opinion, life withjout love has little point to it. Love is natural, but career is man-made community stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Scarrrrr Australia Scarrrrr is online now
Join Date: Jan 2009
View Posts: 10,487
Re: Love vs. Money

^ Eh, I'd argue that for some, the need to be in a relationship is just as much a social construction as the need to have a career. After all, it's natural to want to feel capable and independent, and also to set goals, and having a career is a part of that for many people.

I think I'd choose money over love. For one thing, as has already been said, there are a variety of ways I could choose to spend this money - I could not only ensure complete financial security for myself and my family, but also help out those who are in serious need. And I'm really not that fussed about ever being in a relationship.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Potent Col Potent Col is a male Canary Islands Potent Col is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Yahoo to Potent Col
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silent Hill
View Posts: 1,416
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarael View Post
^ Eh, I'd argue that for some, the need to be in a relationship is just as much a social construction as the need to have a career. After all, it's natural to want to feel capable and independent, and also to set goals, and having a career is a part of that for many people.

I think I'd choose money over love. For one thing, as has already been said, there are a variety of ways I could choose to spend this money - I could not only ensure complete financial security for myself and my family, but also help out those who are in serious need. And I'm really not that fussed about ever being in a relationship.
Meh, matter of person desires, you could say. Some don't feel secure in life if they don't feel love, and that can cause problems with depression and the likes.

In my case, I don't really care about me family with the excpetion of a few people, so I find my love in relationship. But some some, lonliness can be the key to depression, which is not good for mental health. But if you're interested in money, you probably already have quite a big, loving family, so you feel less need for a relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 AM
CookieConjurer Argentina CookieConjurer is offline
Gerudo Thief
Join Date: Aug 2009
View Posts: 142
Re: Love vs. Money

Neither.

I don't give a damn about money. I'd be perfectly happy living in a little one-bedroom apartment making enough to buy food and books and maybe go out for a beer every once in a while.

I don't give a damn about love. I've never been in a relationship. I don't see this changing any time soon. Even if it does, I doubt it would happen as a result of an arbitrary choice or be worth making one over.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Ben Ben is a male United Kingdom Ben is offline
friendly shadow friend
Send a message via Skype™ to Ben


Join Date: Jan 2006
View Posts: 5,816
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent Col View Post
Love is natural, but career is man-made community stuff.
Questionable. To be honest, I'd say that career's and such like are more natural than love. For one, humans are essentially pack animals, and because of that a heirachy structure is second nature to us. The boss gives the orders, and the other guys go find wood, or kill innocent animals, or what have you. The career community we have today is essentially the same, except you're allowed to choose what you do to some extend, and the rewards are bits of paper, not food.

Love, on the other hand is arguably not natural. Humans aren't really meant for longevity. Ideally we're supposed to have children by 14 or 15, and grandchildren before we die at 30. Only superior technology etc. has allowed us to live longer. Love is much more a modern concept than careers. Before that sex was pretty much for reproduction only, or marriage was to do with status. Heck, look at arranged marriages. It still happens today.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Potent Col Potent Col is a male Canary Islands Potent Col is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Yahoo to Potent Col
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Silent Hill
View Posts: 1,416
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by uǝzoɹɟ View Post
Questionable. To be honest, I'd say that career's and such like are more natural than love. For one, humans are essentially pack animals, and because of that a heirachy structure is second nature to us. The boss gives the orders, and the other guys go find wood, or kill innocent animals, or what have you. The career community we have today is essentially the same, except you're allowed to choose what you do to some extend, and the rewards are bits of paper, not food.

Love, on the other hand is arguably not natural. Humans aren't really meant for longevity. Ideally we're supposed to have children by 14 or 15, and grandchildren before we die at 30. Only superior technology etc. has allowed us to live longer. Love is much more a modern concept than careers. Before that sex was pretty much for reproduction only, or marriage was to do with status. Heck, look at arranged marriages. It still happens today.
What you mean is that sexual love is natural rather than emotional love? True, as if it wasn't for sexual love, humans wouldn't be born in the first place to even hunt for food.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Nox Nox is a male United States Nox is offline
SNOW_STORM IS THE BEST
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
Steam ID: HALF LIFE 3 IS NEVER GONNA BE RELEASED!
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southside Chicago
View Posts: 10,090
Re: Love vs. Money

Being a college student, money plz. Love is already there with your friends, your family, and when you have enough money, you pretty much can get your significant other. After all, name me one first date that didn't involve spending cash. Face it, the only way you can really woo that girl you're infatuated with is if you can spend your money in such a way that is romantic!

Love is an emotion after all. An overrated, over-marketed, over-hyped, and over-dramatized emotion. Money is something that can drive you to greed yes, but it's also good for buying yourself a house, utilities, higher education, food, transportation, and charity. Love can't get you food or clean water. (you know, things you need to survive!) Love can't get you an apartment. Love can't get you into that college you've been trying to get into and unless you're offering to sell your dignity, love can't get you around town or even across the country!
__________________

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
Last Edited by Nox; 09-07-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Lord Zero Lord Zero is a male Wales Lord Zero is offline
There is no such thing as innocence. Only degrees of guilt.
Steam ID: The Arbitrator
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cymru
View Posts: 9,232
Re: Love vs. Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent Col View Post
In my opinion, life withjout love has little point to it. Love is natural, but career is man-made community stuff.
Surely you've been able to enjoy yourself without codependence.
__________________

"Even should the heavens fall, let Justice prevail."
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Ngozi Ngozi is a male United States Ngozi is offline
Kokiri
Send a message via ICQ to Ngozi Send a message via AIM to Ngozi Send a message via Yahoo to Ngozi Send a message via Skype™ to Ngozi
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston
View Posts: 73
Re: Love vs. Money

i would choose love
__________________
I Have Been Adopted By Cody

Sig and avy byDaltonR6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
love, money


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -