Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
(Jehanne)

View Posts: 17,459
Re: School dressing codes.

I wish that uniforms had been required when I went to high school. If the uniform looks good, then hey, why not? People moan so much about individuality and such, but...

I've been in the military before. Has anybody ever explained to you why a uniform is required for that? I'm guessing that a lot of the same benefits are (thought to be) achieved by requiring students to wear them. But maybe it's a lost cause since it's being forced on children.

In the end, I suppose the education part should be the most important aspect of school... the uniform or dress code is just the administration's attempt to keep some structure, organization, etc. Not necessary (but what's the big deal?).

So, yeah. That's just me.

#22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,527

Quote:
don't dress like a whore.
This is why i dont mind school uniforms much. I dont want kids to think its cool to dress like a bloody two dollar hooker!
I didnt grow up with uniforms but kids dress the same anyway so what the hells the difference? Dont believe me? Go see a knot of teenagers and tell me they look individual in clothing styles! I DARE YOU!

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 84

I've only ever had to wear a uniform for extra-curricular activities, so I wouldn't really know how Id feel about having to wear a uniform in school ALL day.

Yeah, you can't 'express your individuality' clothing-wise, but what's stopping you from doing it personality-wise?

I used to be super-opposed to uniforms, but as I grew up (see: after only 4 years out of High School), I came to the realization that my own arguments all revolved around not being able to express myself, which I felt a little silly for, because Uniforms only stop you from wearing w/e you want to on-campus.
(Well... okay... I confess, it was pictures of the Japanese school-girl uniforms that made me change my mind... >.<)
:p

In all seriousness, though, I've come to realize that while Uniforms are a big mental thing, it really shouldn't affect who you are, and that's what most of the arguments I know about focus on - the loss of expressing yourself through clothing, which seems very silly indeed.
Don't get me wrong, though; of anyone ever tried to make me wear a Uniform in my daily life - not for a job, school, or otherwise - I'd be the first to petition/take some sort of action. I rather like my 'I traded this shirt for my girlfriend (Best trade I ever made)' shirt

Whoever designed to Water Temple needs to be kicked down a flight of stairs.
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Tar Potomi Źëngrīn Tar Potomi Źëngrīn is a male United States Tar Potomi Źëngrīn is offline
しんで下さい
Send a message via AIM to Tar Potomi Źëngrīn Send a message via Skype™ to Tar Potomi Źëngrīn
View Posts: 4,697

School dress codes are a good idea (though thats not how I felt back in HS lol) you will know right when someone is an intruder and no one has to worry about any dress codes, *thumbs up for dress codes*
ALttP-100% OoS-Beat ST-Beat
LA-Beat tWW-Playing SS (+2Q)-100%
OoT(+MQ)-100% tMC-100%

OoT- I can leave the forest without beating gohma. I can get ISG. I am working on DoT skip.

T(are) Poh Toe me Жehn grin (Ж=ź=zh=sound of s in treasure)
3DS FC 0602 6265 6647
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 PM
ASMR Junkie
Send a message via AIM to ValaVarda Send a message via Skype™ to ValaVarda
View Posts: 1,046

I only ever had to wear uniforms in middle school. But I was going through my rebel phase then so I would wear other clothing on underneath and take the uniform stuff off once I was inside.

I don't really see anything wrong with them. It's just eh either way. I personally don't care.

What I didn't ever understand was why they had uniform passes. If a kid got their parent's say so(signature/whatever) then the kid could come to school in whatever they wanted. If they had the policy of uniforms, why did it not apply to EVERYONE? Otherwise, what was the point?
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 PM
DIE THE DEATH! SENTANCE TO DEATH! GREAT EQUALIZER IS DEATH!
Send a message via Skype™ to Snow_Storm
Steam ID: the_snow_storm
View Posts: 9,465

Reason is that so no stupid children will fight over some trivial **** like clothes.

Also, I didn't have to wear school uniforms or anything in my school years.

The affluenza made me do it
Last Edited by Snow_Storm; 08-07-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
?
Steam ID: Foofs
View Posts: 8,464

I had school uniforms until I came to the US. Then I got wear whatever the **** I felt like. Our dress code was ridiculous. So what if I wore a Dio T-shirt under the blazer? No need for detention and a call home. Jeez. I spent alot of time in detention and my dad got alot of calls home. :'(
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-07-2009, 11:47 PM
:coffee:

View Posts: 17,977

Last few years of highschool, I attended a private school, where I had to wear the school polo shirt. It was nice. I could wear whatever pants I wanted though (which I took advantage of, of course), but overall, it was kind of nice. No one got picked on for lack of style, or any other of those jugdemental tendacies that come along when one looks at another's clothing.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,691

I've been to both a school without a compulsory uniform, and two with compulsory uniform. I must say I preferred the latter when it came to figuring out what to wear. It mostly boiled down to how many layers I should wear (which usually ended up being just one). I didn't particularly like the shoes though.

EDIT: Oh, right. I should also mention that neither of the schools I went to which required a uniform required a tie. In fact, there was no tie in the uniform in the first place.
Last Edited by Sabbo; 08-08-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Guardian Dragon
View Posts: 2,348

The only reason our school made kids wear school uniform for couple of reasons: to look smart, to identify which students belong to our school (sometimes we get kids outside of school coming in), kids spending less time worrying what to wear at school and everyone is equal.

I hate the tie.
Last Edited by Condi Rice; 08-08-2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 AM
I may not be perfect... but my dog loves me.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nesi
Steam ID: AlkalineCandy

View Posts: 18,232

I'm learning in a catholic school, and the question of uniforms is always an important topic.
Interesting, it's not especially the teachers who want it. Some children support the idea as well. However, they plan it not to be the kind of serious-uniform-with-tie-and-other-serious-looking-stuff, but something nice and comfortable. And not so bound, that everybody has to wear the same kind of shoes... Just something what stops some girls to dress and act like a whore.
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 9,524

The only uniform for my school is Kaki pants and a polo. But in High-School, it's pretty much whatever you want.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 76

i go to a public school and i need we need to wear uniform..
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I am a Flower.
View Posts: 1,231

I've been too 5 schools w/o uniforms and 2 with.

I've never been bothered either way.

Very few people dress uniquely enough to get recognition for their clothes in non-uniform enviroment, and the recognition you do get is like "Where did you get that"? Its really not very fun to answer that question several times a week for a whole year.

I kinda like uniforms, as long as their are a wide selection of sizes so your stuff actually fits.

Also, I think ties defeat one of the most important purpose of uniforms (prevention of clothes bullying.) because some people either don't know how to tie a tie or are trying to be rebellious and don't tie it properly. IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A DOUCHE******, learn how to tie it.

Signature by Me

Molk
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Sage of Wisdom
View Posts: 1,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamaster666 View Post
you used the wrong to. you said too when it should have been too
yay grammar nazis!

Anywho, I don't think uniforms serve any real purpose. they don't prevent bullying because the cliques are still there regardless of what people are wearing. Everyone will just come up with other stupid ass reasons to alienate each other. I do agree that the average teenager is about as original as an ant, but you shouldn't need everyone to look the same in order to create a sense of unity either. Plus they just look ridiculous too.
Last Edited by Bromion; 08-08-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM
BEIBER. MONEY. WOMEN.
View Posts: 701

I go to a co-ed catholic high school, and we have to wear uniforms like all catholic high schools in the city I live in.

(Crest blocked, faces cut for privacy reasons)

Kilts ftw.

I find it better to wear uniforms, rather then having to plan out what you're going to wear the next day. It's pretty hawt, too ;D
Last Edited by Felicks; 08-09-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
The impulsive L The impulsive L is a male Finland The impulsive L is offline
And the bathmonkeys...
View Posts: 825

U can't probably find a school with a dress code here in Finland. I think those kinds of things suck.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
TheLastRito TheLastRito is a female United States TheLastRito is offline
I am Katara of the Southern Water Tribe. You killed my mother. Prepare to die.
View Posts: 837

Well, my main rule would be comfort. My last school had girls wear skorts, which feel like they're stabbing your bits. So, at least at my school, unifroms can be uncomfortable.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastRito View Post
Well, my main rule would be comfort. My last school had girls wear skorts, which feel like they're stabbing your bits. So, at least at my school, unifroms can be uncomfortable.
...skorts?
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
View Posts: n/a

The only good uniforms are Catholic school girl uniforms.

/thread

Tags
codes, dressing, school