Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM
KarmaKhameleon KarmaKhameleon is a female United States KarmaKhameleon is offline
Does this username make me look fat?
Send a message via Skype™ to KarmaKhameleon

View Posts: 10,011
Re: Do you speak with a city accent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
Okay, fine.. but that's North Dakota and Minnesota and I don't live there. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
Everyone has an accent.
If you speak differently than someone else, you have an accent.
Pssh.. I still don't think I have one. > >
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
__
View Posts: 8,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
But it's fact. There's no such thing as "not having an accent", not even within one country. People see accents as relative (i.e., anyone who doesn't speak like you has an accent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
It is commonly believed that General American English evolved as a result of an aggregation of rural and suburban Midwestern dialects, though the English of the Upper Midwest can deviate quite dramatically from what would be considered a "regular" American Accent.
That seems to suggest the "General American English" accent came about due to other dialects. So it wasn't really "original" or "standard" until it somehow became decided that way (I don't know the history, so whatever). And even before that, American English had to come from British English, so any American accent can't be considered "regular" in the context of English as a whole. And even then, the Anglo-Saxon English came from other dialects as well.

So really, everyone has an accent.
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
KarmaKhameleon KarmaKhameleon is a female United States KarmaKhameleon is offline
Does this username make me look fat?
Send a message via Skype™ to KarmaKhameleon

View Posts: 10,011

I know, I know.. there's just nothing in my dialect that I really think defines me to the Mid-West or anywhere really. But once again, that's just me.
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 PM
__
View Posts: 8,498

Quote:
I know, I know.. there's just nothing in my dialect that I really think defines me to the Mid-West or anywhere really. But once again, that's just me.
Same with me, I don't speak the same way as most people in New England.
I'd say I have something close to the "general American" accent.

But that leaves me wondering... exactly WHAT accent is that?
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Eating Glue speeds up your Metabolism
Send a message via AIM to Blue
View Posts: 3,428

I speak with a Finnish accent, although it's been fading the longer i've been in America.
It's somewhat mixing with what people call the "Minnesota Accent" which I really didn't ever understand
or hear. I really hope I don't sound like a hick.
Last Edited by Blue; 07-22-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
View Posts: n/a

There is no Minnesota accent. It's just something that people with weird accents made up to confuse us. I personally think that there really aren't many accents in the U.S. the only 'distinct' ones being Southern, Texas (more specifically Fort Worth), and surfer. I actually have traveled around a lot and most people sound normal, just like me in fact. Because Midwestern people don't have ****ING ACCENTS!!

Personally, I think that most of what we think of as accents are made in the media. For example, in King of the Hill, their preacher is from Minnesota and they gave her a totally fake, overblown accent. We don't talk like that.
As of now I am too lazy to post more examples and stuff.
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Eating Glue speeds up your Metabolism
Send a message via AIM to Blue
View Posts: 3,428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
There is no Minnesota accent. It's just something that people with weird accents made up to confuse us. I personally think that there really aren't many accents in the U.S. the only 'distinct' ones being Southern, Texas (more specifically Fort Worth), and surfer. I actually have traveled around a lot and most people sound normal, just like me in fact. Because Midwestern people don't have ****ING ACCENTS!!

Personally, I think that most of what we think of as accents are made in the media. For example, in King of the Hill, their preacher is from Minnesota and they gave her a totally fake, overblown accent. We don't talk like that.
I personally think people mix the canadian accent, with whatever minnesota has.
Although I don't even think canada has an accent. Other then the otherwise steriotypical "A" at the end of every sentence. Personally never heard it.
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
I don't have an accent. And I don't notice any accents except Brooklyn and Chicago. Well at least the ones from America.

My favorite accent though would have to be the Irish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValaVarda View Post

Yeah I am from Cali too but I have no idea if I have an accent. I suppose I have an accent to everyone who doesn't talk like me or other Californians.

I don't say "like" and "hella" too much. Although I won't lie, I do say them quite a bit more than I'd like. I can't help it. Too many people around here who talk like that. I am a valley girl after all. And by "valley girl" I mean I live in the valley =P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florina Belmont View Post
Ewww i hate the word 'hella'. It is pretty Bay Area and so is the word 'tight' used in the place of awesome or cool. I use that one on occasion. Living in the foothills of CA doesnt warrent an accent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinksShadow66 View Post
Uh, I don't think Las Vegas has an "accent".
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sparty View Post
I'm from Montana, and some people say we have accents.
I don't believe it, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I can safely say I don't have an accent.
Quote:
Really, we have accents? I've always read/heard that Midwestern people don't have accents.
Quote:
This would be my answer if people from other places would stop telling me I have an accent.

I'M FROM THE MIDWEST! WE DON'T HAVE ACCENTS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciroton View Post
I don't find it surprising, considering Ottawa is RIGHT ON THE ONTARIO/QUEBEC Border. =P

As for Toronto, I'm not sure we have a unique accent. =/

Although, I personally can do various accents if I hear enough of it. =P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I wouldn't say I have an accent, but I if I have to I'll say I have a slight Southern accent with some British in there to spice things up. I sometimes say things in a slightly more sophisticated manner, but I also say things like ain't quite a bit.
Quote:
Okay, fine.. but that's North Dakota and Minnesota and I don't live there. :P

Quote:

Yay for mass-quoting.

I know Tonchiki already said it, but...

Everybody has an accent, even if they can't hear it.

I can't stress that enough. Until I was corrected around a year ago, I too, thought that I had no accent. It is all a matter of what accents you are used to which defines what you hear as an accent and what you don't.
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Zora Warrior
View Posts: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Yay for mass-quoting.

I know Tonchiki already said it, but...

Everybody has an accent, even if they can't hear it.

I can't stress that enough. Until I was corrected around a year ago, I too, thought that I had no accent. It is all a matter of what accents you are used to which defines what you hear as an accent and what you don't.
I wouldn't know what my accent is. There is no "Miami" accent, unless you count a Hispanic accent which I don't have.

I guess by no accent I mean a standard American accent. If there is such a thing.
Last Edited by monkeys; 07-22-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 PM
linksmolecules linksmolecules is a male United States linksmolecules is offline
Delirious
Send a message via Skype™ to linksmolecules
View Posts: 1,065

Of course it's easy to think you don't have an accent because you are so used to the way you talk, hey hooser.
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Xeno

View Posts: 20,830

There's no real specific accent to my voice. I just speak Americanized English (minus the lingo). There's no city/state accent, no regional accent, just plain 'ole English. Standard American, if you will.
Last Edited by Xeno; 07-22-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 AM
sudo make me a sandvich
Send a message via Skype™ to Vero
View Posts: 458

I'm from Grand Rapids, MI. I moved here from San Diego, CA. Apart from some different figures of speech that are used, the accents sound a lot alike.
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Welcome aboard on Global Astro Liner
View Posts: 612

It may have been said already, but for the record, there is no such thing as "no accent".

Whatever a city accent in southern California sounds like, I must have it since I've lived in San Diego for most of my life. I picked up the "ya?" mannerism when I lived in Hawaii, and I tend to slip into fob and Engrish since I lived in the Philippines and Japan. Then again, the latter is more of me making fun of it than anything else.
Last Edited by Joshawott; 07-24-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
I swear that I don't have a gun
View Posts: 3,119

I'm pretty sure I have some kind of accent, though I'm not sure what. I grew up in conn. and now live in Florida. I can't tell the difference though because most everyone is southern Florida is from the northeast. Hell, I can't even tell some New york accents apart having grown up with parents who had a New York accent, it just sounds like talking to me now.

And I'm sure the Brits will call me out on this, but for some odd reason every once and awhile I'll Brit-a-fy a word for no reason. I don't know how authentic it is, but I have been asked why I sound British sometimes. I've never been to England, and even though I'm a quarter British genetics don't mean squat when it comes to accents.

Tags
accent, city, speak