$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
__
View Posts: 8,498
Re: Pet Peeves/Hates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriforceWisdom View Post
Now, I'm not trying to make you all hate me but I get really annoyed when Americans make up words like 'Popsicle' Just call it an Ice Lolly for God's sake! If you're going to use our language use it properly!
You do realize there are far more differences than "popsicle", right?
Hell, areas within the same country have their own dialects and made-up words as well. I hardly think it's fair to complain about Americans misusing the English language.

Off the top of my head, the only one I'll give you is that "football" is the stupidest thing America's changed. I have no idea why we don't call soccer football.
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
#teens
Send a message via Skype™ to Calliope

View Posts: 7,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriforceWisdom View Post
I am also always correcting people's grammar and vocab. I'm proud of my language and I don't want people ruining it. Which brings me to my next point. Now, I'm not trying to make you all hate me but I get really annoyed when Americans make up words like 'Popsicle' Just call it an Ice Lolly for God's sake! If you're going to use our language use it properly!
Hey now. That's being a bit too harsh. Every language has different variations and dialects. Even in America people talk differently. We call all carbonated beverages 'pop' in Michigan, but if I went to Georgia or somewhere else, they might call it 'soda' or even 'soda pop'.

We are using the English language just fine.

//\\//\\twitter//\\//\\//art thread//\\//\\//tumblr//\\//\\

Last Edited by Calliope; 04-20-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Skyloftian
View Posts: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkanaGeneral197 View Post
I can't stand people chewing loudly or velcrow. Oh, and country "music"
THIS; BOTH !

Oh god that IS annoying!

#44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Beware the beast of man, for he is the Devil's pawn.
View Posts: 1,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
Hey now. That's being a bit too harsh. Every language has different variations and dialects. Even in America people talk differently. We call all carbonated beverages 'pop' in Michigan, but if I went to Georgia or somewhere else, they might call it 'soda' or even 'soda pop'.

We are using the English language just fine.
Oh, God. I wanna die when people say "soda" or "soda pop" (especially the latter), and when people treat things hat end in a single "e" as something that has the long e sound. For example; Reese's is pronounced "Ree siz", not "Ree seez". The apostrophe is there to indicate ownership. I'm beginning to think they should've called reese's "The peanut butter cups of Reese", so people wouldn't say "ree seez"
Last Edited by Charon; 04-20-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
#teens

Quote:
Oh, God. I wanna die when people say "soda" or "soda pop" (especially the latter), and when people treat things hat end in a single "e" as something that has the long e sound. For example; Reese's is pronounced "Ree siz", not "Ree seez". The apostrophe is there to indicate ownership. I'm beginning to think they should've called reese's "The peanut butter cups of Reese", so people wouldn't say "ree seez"
I find accents very amusing. (maybe because I've lived in the same area my whole life?) We also refer to all sorts of athletic shoe to be a 'tennis shoe'.

I hate when people will add an "uh" to the end of a word or sentence. As in "No, I don't want to go right now-uh!" The worst offenders are those preteen girls that still talk in that valley girl kind of way.

Also, people who talk, while chomping on gum, with their mouth open. *shudder*

#46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM
__

Quote:
Really? I was under the impression that "soda" was a pretty neutral term for it (in the US), and that's what I've always called it (but not "soda pop"). Some parts of the country say "pop", and around New England, it's sometimes "tonic" (which I've NEVER called it, despite being from the area).
But it seemed to me like "soda" was a simple, generic term for it.
Seriously, anything but calling them "soft drinks".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope
We also refer to all sorts of athletic shoe to be a 'tennis shoe'.
They're "sneakers" to me. Not sure if that's an area-specific thing, but it probably is.
Last Edited by GooeyKablooie; 04-20-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
I find accents very amusing. (maybe because I've lived in the same area my whole life?) We also refer to all sorts of athletic shoe to be a 'tennis shoe'.

I hate when people will add an "uh" to the end of a word or sentence. As in "No, I don't want to go right now-uh!" The worst offenders are those preteen girls that still talk in that valley girl kind of way.

Also, people who talk, while chomping on gum, with their mouth open. *shudder*
Definetley those two.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM
• • • • •
Send a message via AIM to Rew
View Posts: 14,292

"Soda" > "pop."

My pet peeve are those who call it "Coke," though, no matter what kind of carbonated beverage it is, even Pepsi!

Another one I have? When people add an apostrophe-S at the end of certain stores. For example, "Kroger's." No, it's Kroger, thank you very much. No apostrophe or S anywhere in there. "Barnes & Noble's" is another terrible offender. Apparently because the first name ends with an S, so must the other! No, it's Barnes & Noble. No "S."

I don't care about the whole hearing people chew thing. I can tune it out or not notice. The only time it's a problem for me is when someone's eating--while talking to me on the phone. So you hear the chomping coming through loud and clear through the phone speaker. Ugh.

Signature and avatar set by the illustrious, if horny, Zarah Warah.
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
"Soda" > "pop."

My pet peeve are those who call it "Coke," though, no matter what kind of carbonated beverage it is, even Pepsi!

Another one I have? When people add an apostrophe-S at the end of certain stores. For example, "Kroger's." No, it's Kroger, thank you very much. No apostrophe or S anywhere in there. "Barnes & Noble's" is another terrible offender. Apparently because the first name ends with an S, so must the other! No, it's Barnes & Noble. No "S."
I don't care about the whole hearing people chew thing. I can tune it out or not notice. The only time it's a problem for me is when someone's eating--while talking to me on the phone. So you hear the chomping coming through loud and clear through the phone speaker. Ugh.
Everyone in my famil (except for me) does that. It get's annoying. Sometimes the call "Best Buy" "Best Buys". I wanna scream and pull my hair out when that happens.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 01:59 PM
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
"Soda" > "pop."

Yes, this is stupid. I'll do that occasionally on-and-off with items, though... For instance, I hate when people call tissues "Kleenex", but I always call cotton swabs "Q-tips".
Quote:
Ugh, I hate when people do that, especially to Barnes and Noble.
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
#teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchiki View Post
For instance, I hate when people call tissues "Kleenex", but I always call cotton swabs "Q-tips".
*raises hand* Guilty. A lot of the speaking pet peeves might be regional, accents and dialects can change by the state in a lot of parts in the US. (For instance, the way people talk in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is far different and here in the lower peninsula. "Say ya' to da Yoo-Pee, eh?")

I completely agree with the pluralizing of stores, though. It's Meijer! Not Meijer's!

#52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 02:16 PM
When all else fails, just remember to--ooh, shiny!
View Posts: 277

Most of my biggest pet peeves are when I'm driving.

...Like as soon as I put my turn signal on to change lanes, people speed up so I can't get over...
...And stupid pedestrians who walk straight towards my car WHILE IT'S MOVING...
...And when people cut me off...
...And when people steal my parallel parking spot while I'm still trying to get into it...
...And when I'm being tailgated by someone with their high beams on...
...And when people in my car back seat drive or touch my radio or shout while I'm driving...

Other than that, I'm pretty tolerant of most things ^-^

Due to further budget constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Florina Laufeyson Florina Laufeyson is a female Norway Florina Laufeyson is offline
We built Mute City on Rock and Roll
Steam ID: FlorinaBelmont 3DS ID: 1934-0706-9170

View Posts: 22,616

Quote:
OH MAN THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!!! ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Also, People who call Wal-Mart "Wally World"....DIE!! DIEE!!

(◕ᴥ◕し) ミᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Tumbling Down The Rabbit Hole, Animal Crossing Blog
A Dream of Ice And Fire: 4900-2186-7042 Animal Crossing Dream Suite
Last Edited by Florina Laufeyson; 04-20-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Halomaster048 Halomaster048 is a male United States Halomaster048 is offline
The Master of All Things Halo
View Posts: 128

I Hate When People Compare everything to Mc Donalds I went to Five guys recently And someone in there Went "Mcdonalds has better Meat" I Was ready to kill her... GRRRR =Get em Gir!

Go On Read this Comic I DARE YA!

Made by Halomaster048
Btw PM If You Want a Sprite Sig
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Wii U ID: WoodwindsRock 3DS ID: 1032-1351-5240
View Posts: 2,903

A ton of things annoy me greatly, but I'll keep them light hearted here. =P

- When people spell the word "bassoon" wrong. It's easy to spell, come on.
- When people confuse the bassoon for an oboe... They look nothing alike! A clarinet and an oboe look more alike! Why don't I hear that one more often?
- The general love for warmer weather. It's alright when you're up North, where your winters are actually cold and don't mostly consist of 50s, 60s, 70s, and some 80s... But where I live? Nobody has any reason to complain. It's the nicest time of the year, save for the 80s, but we have them every other time of the year too... so yeah.
- Reeds. Double reeds are fine, but single reeds... No. I set my clarinet on the bed, and somehow by accident the reed touches the sheets, and it's chipped. I can not say how many reeds I have broken this way.

I can also get mad at myself for being too lazy to take it apart and put it back in it's case. =P

Three of those are band related... Wow. o_o

------

#56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 12:37 AM
weee!

View Posts: 10,229

I hate rude people and trolls.
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 AM
" Who the hell do you think I am?!" -Dai Gurren Brigade
View Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by +gheuantor View Post
One thing that annoys me unbelievably so is when young kids pretend to know about something when they really have no clue >.> Oh, and people who talk and laugh really loudly over everybody else...
That's me. I'm told I have a crazy laugh, which I do, and my normal voice should blow out your eardrums. Um........... Well, people who keep on pissing me off for no reason, and making fun of stuff I'm into, like a particular game, things like that. And copycats.
Last Edited by Blort; 04-21-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 01:28 AM
?
Steam ID: Foofs
View Posts: 8,480

I'm actually changing what I said before.

I don't like Joe Thornton: Playoff Edition.
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 01:44 AM
A bigger Zeldafag than you
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeruda
View Posts: 606

I hate it when people whine and complain about their "problems", and after you suggest a multitude of ways for them to fix their problems, they come up with excuses as to why they can't, and then they continue complaining about how horrible their life is.

I also hate it when men are around other men. It seems that the more men there are in the room, the louder and more obnoxious/dirty/annoying they become. Of course, not all men are like this.... but I hate those that are.

Oh, and people who take games too seriously. For instance- Brawl or Halo or Street Fighter. EVERYBODY is OMGSOGOOD at the game, and everybody thinks they can beat everybody else. There will always be somebody better than you, and you don't really gain anything from winning. Tourneys are only good if they have prizes. Other than that, wtf is the point? If it's satisfaction, then you're missing out in life, and I pity you. :|

Lastly (for this post, anyway), the fact that they made Jill Valentine blonde, pale, and shrunk her boobs/butt. I DON'T CARE what the "reasons" are. They uglified her. She was my favorite. *sob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislike Of Renegades View Post
superdecimal i'm not an attn whore i just like get compliments from people :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessZelda032 View Post
Lol okay? I am big chested by the way. Its hard to not cover them.
I have no tits and I'm hotter than you. So really, stop trying.
It's just not going to work for you.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 AM
HARK HARK
Wii U ID: Dr-Reggie (PM me first) 3DS ID: 3153-4263-2807 (PM me first)
View Posts: 7,308

They offer shrinking boobs? Wow, cool.

And I thought they only offered to enlarge them.

Anyway, my pet peeves...

When things are missing. Especially missing sprites, at places like Spriter's Resource. They make it look like their sheets have every sprite for a character, when sometimes it's still missing stuff.

[Art Thread] [Tumblr][Sig by .Hog]
Last Edited by Commander GorMor; 04-21-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote

Tags
hates, peeves, peeves or hates, pet