Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Now With Less Activity Action
View Posts: 1,283
Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Sadly that is true, but the fact is that real irishmen and women like Sadida and myself enjoy our Irish herritage. Some people go off and have fun, but really it is a happy day when everyone can just share a pint and be happy.

We are Faroreans. We are Courage!
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason

View Posts: 9,807

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulCreation
Lol i was hoping some1 would say this to me, the reason why i was saying that samuri is that people in america that have no irish heritage at all go out and drink because they think its an excuse, and that thats the reason for this holiday. Therefore i do not like this holiday, go downtown in any major city, you may see what i mean.
You gotta be kidding me. A great portion of the US population is Irish. Millions, since so many fled to the US after the potato famine.

The holiday was MADE in the US, so I'd think that there would be a lot of Irish people here. Actually, most kids in my school are at least part Irish. Seriously, there are people who celebrate it for what it is, like IS (sort of), and others who use it as a good time.

Do you oppose halloween because it's a fun holiday? No, I bet you don't. Most of us here are probably to mature to still go out and do that holiday, but still, are you going to ruin everyone else's fun just because you think it is pointless? I would hope not.

St. Patrick's Day was made to be a fun day. People can go get a drink, be together, and celebrate your heritage. You don't even have to be Irish to celebrate it, which is the great thing about it I think. That gives us all a chance to join in on the fun.
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2004, 09:27 PM
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.
View Posts: 822

GoldenChaos:
I am not denying peoples heritage, I know there are lots of people who are irish or part irish. I am saying that most people in the US (even some of the people that have irish heritage) do not understand what this holiday is about! I never denied anything about there heritage, most people who do celebrate this day have no clue what its about, they go out and drink at a bar, NOT thinking of there heritage. There. Happy? Did i get it through to you yet?? I'm sorry if i am being rude today, but I had a rough day , im just sick of repeating things to people { ESPECIALLY silentsypher }
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Now With Less Activity Action
View Posts: 1,283

Well technically it is a saint day and I should go to church but now and days they have All Saint's Day. Only three Saints are loved by the Secular world in additontion to the Church world. Saint Nicolas (Santa), Saint Valentine (VDay), and Saint Patrick.

We are Faroreans. We are Courage!
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 3,585

You don't really need an excuse to drink though, you could go anytime. St. Patricks is celebrated for some reason, I don't really know why but celebrations are times where you let all your feelings out and enjoy yourselves. It could be from thinking of your heritage or being grateful for what you have (like Thanksgiving).

Edit: This topic is changing from a Happy St.Patricks day topic to a debat.... This is gonna be so interesting *goes off to pinch people*

Edit 2: HAH! Found it!

Quote:
St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of Ireland. March 17 is the feast day of St. Patrick; it's a day to celebrate being Irish (they say that everyone is Irish on Saint Patrick's Day!)

St. Patrick is celebrated for bringing Christianity to Ireland. He was born about 373 A.D., in either Scotland or Roman England. His real name was probably Maewyn Succat. After becoming a priest he took the name of Patrick, or Patricus. He was kidnapped at the age of 16 by pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland He was a slave in Ireland for 6 years, when God started to speak to him in dreams and visions. He escaped (after voices in one of his visions told him where he could find a getaway ship) and went to France, where he became a priest and later a bishop. But then St. Patrick had a dream, and he dreamed that the Irish were calling him back to Ireland to tell them about God. When he was about 60 years old, St. Patrick travelled to Ireland to spread the Christian gospel. He used the shamrock (a three-leafed plant) as a metaphor to explain the concept of the Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit). Legend has it that Saint Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland -- that they all went into the sea and drowned.
More infromation!
Last Edited by jehuty; 03-17-2004 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 03-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Ganon's Bane
View Posts: 5,584

I'm from Scottland, not Ireland but close right?

Tags
day, happy, patrick