Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Sloths Rule Australia Sloths Rule is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 365
Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I see all these topics on this forum, and on others, discussing things. Because that's what you do on forums, obviously.

But I've realized something... compared to talking in real life, it's... lame.

In fact it's so lame that I have decided to kill myself.

Goodnight everybody.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Puck Puck is offline
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manehatten
View Posts: 15,588
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Is that "Kill yourself" thing a joke, cause if it is I fail to see the humor in it...


On topic with the question in itself I would prefer to talk to people in person.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
efo efo is a male Turkey efo is offline
Turkish Delight is ♥♥♥♥ing your mother
Send a message via ICQ to efo Send a message via AIM to efo Send a message via Yahoo to efo Send a message via Skype™ to efo
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ankara, Turkey
View Posts: 1,496
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I agree, and wish to continue discussing this with you in person.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterlime
I don't like pool simulations... unless it's about swiming pools and alot of people are naked
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
John John is a male Canada John is offline
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,045
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Hard to say.


I like to talk to people more in real life, probably.


But debating is easier to do via text.
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Redonkulous Homunculus United States Redonkulous Homunculus is offline
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: right here.
View Posts: 13,407
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloths Rule View Post
I see all these topics on this forum, and on others, discussing things. Because that's what you do on forums, obviously.

But I've realized something... compared to talking in real life, it's... lame.

In fact it's so lame that I have decided to kill myself.

Goodnight everybody.
for someone with almost 250 posts, I'd expect less noob-ocity from you.
__________________
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8516&dateline=1360969  553
"Always make graphs. You'll never accomplish anything in life without graphs." -SacredSturgeon
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Sloths Rule Australia Sloths Rule is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 365
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Is that "Kill yourself" thing a joke, cause if it is I fail to see the humor in it...
You're right, I'm sorry, suicide isn't funny. Suicide killed my family.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:32 AM
brokenjoker Sweden brokenjoker is offline
:coffee:


Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 17,974
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

*pats* Now, now.. it's not that bad.

I suck at expressing my point in 'real life', and I find it much easier to express myself through writing/typing out on the computer anywhere, including forums. Although random not-so-complex discussions I would handle without problem in 'real life', but start talking to me about any topic in the 'Internet: Serious Business' forum, and I'll start stumbling over myself. Yay.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 AM
link15732o link15732o is a female Saudi Arabia link15732o is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 2,147
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Depends. There are some things I talk about on forums that I wouldn't dream of talking to someone on the street about but talking to someone in real life is better in many ways in my opinion, mainly because you can see the expressions on peoples faces and you don't have to use emoticons.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Sloths Rule Australia Sloths Rule is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 365
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh O View Post
Depends. There are some things I talk about on forums that I wouldn't dream of talking to someone on the street about but talking to someone in real life is better in many ways, mostly because you can see the expressions on peoples faces and you don't have to use emoticons.
I agree, I hate emoticons. Those little... Every time I see them I want to punch them in the face!

<-- Ohhh you think you're SO smug don't you! I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU ALL!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
John John is a male Canada John is offline
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness...
Send a message via Skype™ to John
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
View Posts: 22,045
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Emoticons are quite useful, actually.


The thing is, so much of (the English, at least) language is expressed through tone of voice that using text makes things very ambiguous indeed.

If you're a master wordsmith you can express yourself without them, but it's difficult to do so without being very wordy.

I am not a master wordsmith, so I find them very useful for conveying tone of voice.
__________________
...Those who defy it, glory!

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Sloths Rule Australia Sloths Rule is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 365
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDwarf View Post
Emoticons are quite useful, actually.


The thing is, so much of (the English, at least) language is expressed through tone of voice that using text makes things very ambiguous indeed.

If you're a master wordsmith you can express yourself without them, but it's difficult to do so without being very wordy.

I am not a master wordsmith, so I find them very useful for conveying tone of voice.
In the future there will be no need for typing words on the Internet, I assume. We will look back in the archives and laugh at the fact we were typing right now.

It'll all be voice, or something.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Rew Rew is a male United States Rew is offline
Send a message via AIM to Rew
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbia, S.C. (USA)
View Posts: 14,292
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloths Rule View Post
In the future there will be no need for typing words on the Internet, I assume. We will look back in the archives and laugh at the fact we were typing right now.

It'll all be voice, or something.
Like Skype?
__________________

Signature and avatar set by the illustrious, if horny, Zarah Warah.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Sloths Rule Australia Sloths Rule is offline
Zora Warrior
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 365
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Like Skype?
Sure, why not.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Dom United Kingdom Dom is offline
MUST HAVE STABBED HIM FIFTY ****ING TIMES!
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Neverland.
View Posts: 5,357
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I find talking on a forum more comfortable, because I am maladjusted
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Emperor Mateus Emperor Mateus is a male Emperor Mateus is offline
The fruit of their lions
Join Date: Jan 2007
View Posts: 1,752
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I think I just prefer talking on forums, really. I don't mind talking face-to-face, but it's more comfortable and pleasing just chatting online now. I enjoy the small company of a few people, but crave more people to talk to, yet I dislike the company of larger crowds or talking to people I don't really know. However, online it's perfectly fine. I can have a horrible personality around people as well. If people start irritating me online, I can just ignore them or switch off for a while to get away from them, but I wouldn't be able to do that so easily if they were face-to-face. GDwarf is also right about debating being easier via text. People can't shout over you and drown what you're saying out or consistantly interrupt you if you're debating that way, and I can't stand it when people do that face-to-face.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Necco Necco is a male United States Necco is offline
I like a good Bomb.
Send a message via AIM to Necco Send a message via Skype™ to Necco
Steam ID: ach hee
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: House Atlantic
View Posts: 3,355
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I think talking in real life and on a forum both have benefits. Typically in real life there are those who don't voice their opinions because they are worried about how their friends will think of them or how they will be treated physically. None of that is applicable on the internet.

For those of us who don't feel that way, like me, talking in real life is more exciting, but has its draw backs. If you say something out of context on a forum you can just delete it or if you say something stupid it doesnt haunt you. In real life, it does, which is why its kinda interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Beatrice Beatrice is a female Beatrice is offline
baka.
Join Date: Apr 2003
View Posts: 8,433
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I like them both equally. Although if it's over the phone, forget it. I get all giggly from nervousness, can't even call Pizza Hut. ;-;
__________________
sad from getting meme'd on.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Malia Malia is a female The Byzantine Empire Malia is offline
Avalanchemike

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dancin'-a-go-go, baby
View Posts: 19,005
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I'm better at speaking aloud than I am at writing, honestly. I've always been more of a talker than a writer. Unlike the lovely GDwarf, I actually argue/debate a helluva lot better when speaking aloud. I do like posting on forums, don't get me wrong. I think that with the way I post, it's very similar to how I would actually speak to someone in real life. I'm usually very talkative and animated when speaking IRL, so maybe that contributes to my abuse of smilies, especially XD <-- I really do laugh a lot. I have more confidence in my speaking ability in comparison to my writing skills.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
chibimoon chibimoon is a female Australia chibimoon is offline
****muffin.
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Perth
View Posts: 200
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

There are situations where it's easier to talk to a person face to face. And others where it's much much easier to do via a forum.

I love emoticons. Not when their use is abused though. I find it's very handy to use them to express what I'm feeling with just one click or one code.
__________________


Most wonderful siggy made by the delightfully tasty Cambria! <3
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM
GentleArtillery Sweden GentleArtillery is offline
Gone
Join Date: Jan 2008
View Posts: 730
Re: Would you rather talk on a forum or in real life?

I prefer online conversations. I'm too shy and asocial in real life, and I have a hard time acting like a normal person, pay attention when talking about subjects other people find interesting, and not bringing up subjects I find interesting - generally, those subjects aren't very popular.
I think it's difficult to think through things before you say them in offline conversations, and people are generally more annoying in real life, and you can't ignore them, and if you say the wrong thing, they get upset, etc.
On forums, there's always some kind of common interest that results in conversation, not just that you happen to live/go to the same school as that person. In real life, I've found no one that is interested in video games (as much as I), but on the internet, you can just search "Zelda forum", register, and find the closest debate forum, and everything is perfect.
Also, there is an edit button.

In other words, forums sure beat real-life conversations.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forum, life, real, talk


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -