Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which do you do more frequently?
I walk 12 26.09%
I skateboard/rollerblade 0 0%
I bike 10 21.74%
I take the bus 6 13.04%
I Ride a motorcylce 0 0%
I drive my car 12 26.09%
None of the above/other 6 13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM
formerly Tsunata
Send a message via AIM to Anya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya
View Posts: 2,577
Re: Is choosing not to drive your car social heresy?

I walk when the weather's nice or if I need to.

When it's warmer outside, I prefer to walk to meet people or just to go in town as opposed to having my dad drive me.

It's not as though I'm old enough to drive myself, though.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 04:34 PM
[insert clever custom title]
View Posts: 4,460

I am 17 years of age and I have yet to get my license. Not that I couldnt it simply that I dont want it. I live in a small city so driving to someplace when I can walk it with in 15-30 minutes seems pointless.

Just last night I decided to walk from my house the movie theater to catch a movie. Started walking at about 6:20 got there around 6:50-7 pm. I enjoyed the whole walk there. When the movie ended around 9:15 I got the pleasure of walking at night!

if I were to drive there I do not think it would have been as fun. I wouldnt beable to walk at night. Looking up at the stars... not that I can see a whole lot it also just seems so much more peaceful. Besides its good for me and the enviorment.

Although If I had the money I would definitly get a bike.

Amazing Signature and Avatar by Viral Maze. Thanks!
My Fanfiction
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 04:38 PM
The Original Blue
Send a message via AIM to TheBlueWarrior Send a message via Yahoo to TheBlueWarrior
View Posts: 176

I drive everywhere. I just love driving my car though. I guess if everyone could have a sports car they would too though. xD

"Not all who wander are lost."
J.R.R. Tolkien
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Fringant Épéiste Fringant Épéiste is a male United States Fringant Épéiste is offline
View Posts: 7,662

I don't even have my liscense, but I'll get it in a few months. As is, I normally walk home a mile from school (almost everyday, sometimes I get rides), and then on Saturdays/Days off I'll bike either to my cousin's house (1.2 miles or so) or just go around for fun. When I get a car, I'm only gonna use it to drive to school (going on bike would just be ludicrous with 1000+ cars on small streets) and to head out to areas too far to bike. It just makes life easier to bike and walk.
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 80

I use public transit to get where i need to go, unless it's in walking distance, then I might walk.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Ameera Mae Laramie Ameera Mae Laramie is a female United States Ameera Mae Laramie is offline
Rainbow Sheikah
Send a message via AIM to Ameera Mae Laramie
View Posts: 1,917

If I didn't think that my life would be in danger for me to be walking and/or using a bike to get to work and other close places, I would. Just about everything of importance [ mall, movies, and work ] is a ten minute drive one way, depending on traffic. However I live in a town where nine out of ten people don't remember that blinkers comes standard with their cars and where twenty accidents a day on the road in front of my work is common to see. Hell, it's been about four and a half years since I stopped being interested in the wrecks that happen there.

I wouldn't mind biking to work, would lose a lot of weight and save on gas now that it's almost to $3.30 a gallon if not more. Like I said before, just about everything of importance is within walking distance, and I could easily take a half hour to get work if I wanted to walk. But the people down here DO NOT know how to drive. At all.
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 7

I drive, but someday I want to live where you can walk or use public transportation.
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Swiggty Swag, whats in the bag?
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
View Posts: 10,089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuu View Post
I drive, but someday I want to live where you can walk or use public transportation.
Its called move to the city. If people simply did that instead of living in boring suburbs, they wouldn't have to drive everywhere.

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Goron
View Posts: 201

I drive mostly, but sometimes I'll just walk if wherever I'm going is close.

All my favorite hangouts are far away from my house so it's nice to be able to drive.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Only want you for your body.
View Posts: 1,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexo View Post
Its called move to the city. If people simply did that instead of living in boring suburbs, they wouldn't have to drive everywhere.
That's the awesome thing about city mentality. They assume that because they live in the heart of somewhere that is important or well-known that everyone else is somehow insignificant or wrong, and can't even begin to fathom the concept of living in a locale where a car is required to get places, and that those who do live in said locales are selfish or wasteful.

I remember talking to a guy once on a trip to New York about where I live, and when I said Wisconsin he looked at me like I was from another planet. I wanted to say to the guy "yeah, The Midwest is a fly-over zone. You just keep thinking that".

I used to have to drive everywhere when I lived in the country, but now that I'm living on campus at a university I walk everywhere, even downtown. I don't even use public transportation because I would probably do something stupid and get abandoned somewhere.

Besides, walking is good for you I hear.
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Rock Star Jerk Supremo
View Posts: 9,359

I'm a driver. >.<

Really, I hate my car, I hate driving, and I would rather not have to deal with that, but I have to be practical. I was looking at train prices (which would be my alternative) and it's actually MORE expensive for me to take the train. I'm a commuter in southern California, so transportation is pretty miserable.

Even for short-distance places, riding a bike would be too much. As far as going to the store is concerned, it would take a lot of practice to getting to that point. The stores are all a few miles away, and there is no flat land. I do hope to do less travel by car after I move out and get married, though. We're going to pinch every penny!

#32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
ZeldaMaster#1#1 ZeldaMaster#1#1 is a male United States ZeldaMaster#1#1 is offline
Asolare
View Posts: 7,900

I would love to walk...But now a days, the schedules get tighter, and school starts almost before daybreak. And since I have no bike, and am not old enough to drive, I have to get a ride in my G-ma's smoke infested Nissan Sentra with barely any room.

I would prefer walking, but since everything I need to go to is clear across town, driving is my option. Get this, I live in a town of about 4,000, and it takes 30 minutes to walk half a mile. About from my school to my house is half a mile. Whenever I walk home, I wonder if I'll ever get home.

The winding streets, the long times, the shorter schedule and "no bikeness" has forced me to catch a ride in a non fuel-efficient car infested with cigarette smoke.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Swiggty Swag, whats in the bag?
Send a message via Skype™ to Nox
View Posts: 10,089

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
That's the awesome thing about city mentality. They assume that because they live in the heart of somewhere that is important or well-known that everyone else is somehow insignificant or wrong, and can't even begin to fathom the concept of living in a locale where a car is required to get places, and that those who do live in said locales are selfish or wasteful.
I live on the edge of the city to be more exact. I just find it useless to drive a mile or so just to get a candy bar when you could live somewhere closer to local business and walk there or even bike there. I pretty much think the out fringes of suburbia (that would be the ones built like right on the edge of the suburbs) are the biggest blights of land I've ever seen and have no sense of community or reliable transportation.

Quote:
The Midwest is a fly-over zone. You just keep thinking that".
Isn't it though? I mean, it's pretty damn boring here and I can't wait to move out.

Artwork. Why not critique so I can get better, plz :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I have a friend who once asked me if vaginas had taste buds. Because of flavored condoms.

We were 17
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Only want you for your body.
View Posts: 1,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexo View Post
I live on the edge of the city to be more exact. I just find it useless to drive a mile or so just to get a candy bar when you could live somewhere closer to local business and walk there or even bike there. I pretty much think the out fringes of suburbia (that would be the ones built like right on the edge of the suburbs) are the biggest blights of land I've ever seen and have no sense of community or reliable transportation.
You're 100% correct. Urban sprawl sucks and is stupid.

Quote:
Isn't it though? I mean, it's pretty damn boring here and I can't wait to move out.
If you're talking in terms of agriculture, manufacturing or even tourism, absolutely not.

But don't forget big cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, The Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Kansas City and Indianapolis. We're just a bit more spread out than the East or West Coasts, which I think is a very good thing.
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 09:27 PM
The folly of man
Send a message via AIM to Fire Bird Send a message via Skype™ to Fire Bird
View Posts: 9,389

My parents will not let me drive until I am 18 because of insurance or something. They take me almost evreywhere, and if not them, my friends parents. I hate having to rely on other people.

The only place I get to walk to myself is my friends house, and my parents dont even like me doing that. They seem to think if I go anywhere alone, someone will kidnapp me.
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I used to believe that humans were naturally good, then I started working retail
View Posts: 7,577

*kidnaps bird*

Well today was the first day I went on a major highway. (I-75 north of Atlanta. and having three lanes of traffic traveling one way well going 75 to 85 mph on average was scary to drive, and I was by myself.

My parents are not afraid to let me go off my myself to places, even when I was smaller, and they can care less now that I am 18.

I like the Idea about cities building upwards then outwards, because personally I hate city life and would rather live out in the woods. I never was a city person.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Goron
View Posts: 194

I walk around a lot, some days when Im too busy to lift weights, all the exercise I get is walking up and down hills from class to class. That and I get my best ideas for assignments on my feet, I cant do that while driving. Actually, I hate driving, I avoid like the devil and for some reason, I find it too stressful. I only take the bus when Im tired or when the weather is bad.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Doran_Bladefist Doran_Bladefist is a male United States Doran_Bladefist is offline
Enrolled @ Bovine University
Send a message via Yahoo to Doran_Bladefist

View Posts: 2,268

Had another interesting thing happen over the past few days. It seems like, now that it's starting to warm up out, there has been an explosion in the amount of cars on the road. Seriously, just within a week traffic seems to have gone up like 50%. I can barely get out of my apartment complex in the afternoons now! I say: thank jebus I bought the bicycle when I did!

You would think that people would be less inclined to drive, now it's quite pleasant to walk about now, but that, sadly, does not seem to be the case.

Another note: over the past few weeks, me and my wife have tallied a total 13 near-hits while crossing streets at intersections; people running red lights, people rolling into right-hand turns, etc etc. Right of way or not, there is a lot of people who just don't care or just don't pay attention. Being the only ones out on the sidewalks, it almost seems doubly as dangerous than being on the actual road!
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-19-2008, 01:03 AM
The Great Panda The Great Panda is a male United States The Great Panda is offline
Big Pimpin'
View Posts: 2,176

For some reason or another, walking has always appealed to me, so I typically try to walk wherever I go. (On my good days, I can walk all the way to Wendy's and back - a combined distance of six or so miles.) This keeps me in pretty good shape, and as a nice bonus, I don't spend as much on gas.

You might ask, "But Panda, what if the weather doesn't allow for walking?" In that case, I'll either drive or take the bus.

... Crap.

#40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 AM
ELpaca

View Posts: 17,372

I still go to school and it's around 5 km from where I live so I usually catch a bus and drive there independently for once a week on a Friday.

My sister is only one year younger than me and she reckons that we should bring back the use of horses. She says that they are a part of nature and yeah. It's far better than any man made vehicle such as cars, buses, trains etc.

Ich Will: "As a kid I remember grabbing cats by their tails and spinning them around like you do with Bowser in Mario 64. Then I'd throw them away. Dunno if I got that from the game though lol."

Tags
car, choosing, drive, heresy, social