#81 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned User
View Posts: 30,568
Re: Facts About Your Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razekial View Post
Taipei 101 in Taiwan is taller.
Erm, that's why I said another country was trying to top the Sears Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razekial
As of 2000, 65 million US citizens claimed to have german decent, about 23% of the population. Not quite "over half"
Last time I checked, over half the population is of German descent.

Quote:
The US has no official language.
Last time I checked, the US had an official language called English and it won over German by one vote long ago. Many Germans were in the country at the time, explaining this AND the fact stated above about German descent.

Quote:
That was during World War II.
Oh, that's right, my mistake.

Quote:
Might want to double check your facts.
I think you might want to double check yours.
  #82 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamari View Post
Dubai's got a taller building too. I mentioned it earlier, but you must have missed it.

Quote:
And your source is? Wikipedia (don't bug me that it's wiki) says German Americans only account for 17% of the population as of 2006.

Quote:
Last time I checked, the US had an official language called English and it won over German by one vote long ago. Many Germans were in the country at the time, explaining this AND the fact stated above about German descent.
I don't know anthing about the one vote thing, but English is only the official language in half the states.

Quote:
I think you might want to double check yours.
How about both of you? that way we can all be happy.
  #83 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Sounding a mosaic
Send a message via AIM to Razekial
View Posts: 2,808

Quote:
"Trying to top it" isn't an accurate statement. Taipei 101, Petronas Tower 1, and Petronas Tower 2, are all taller.

Quote:
If, in 2000, 65 million of 281 million claimed to be German, how does that equal "over half"? Unless 100 million Germans magically immigrated here in the 8 years since then, you're wrong.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usconstitution.net
Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language.
Does that prove my point?
  #84 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo View Post
Dubai's got a taller building too. I mentioned it earlier, but you must have missed it.
Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbo
And your source is? Wikipedia (don't bug me that it's wiki) says German Americans only account for 17% of the population as of 2006.
School text books, of course. Also, Wikipedia is often edited. That fact could be false.

Quote:
I don't know anthing about the one vote thing, but English is only the official language in half the states.
Ah, maybe things changed.

Quote:
How about both of you? that way we can all be happy.
Good idea. I'll have to do it tomorrow, though. I don't have time right now.
  #85 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,741

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know that. Sorry.
It's still in the middle of being built, so I'm not sure if it counts yet. But its current height is still taller than Sears.

Quote:
School text books, of course. Also, Wikipedia is often edited. That fact could be false.
This says that only 50 million claim German ancestry.

Quote:
Ah, maybe things changed.
Perhaps. Wiki doesn't show a source for it.

Quote:
Good idea. I'll have to do it tomorrow, though. I don't have time right now.
Fair enough.
  #86 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 AM
B-Rock the Islamic Shock B-Rock the Islamic Shock is a male United States B-Rock the Islamic Shock is offline
OBAMACARE IS INVINCIBLE
View Posts: 4,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Then why did you bring him up?
I didn't Galedeep did, when he explained the reasons for the bombing on Japan.

Quote:
I don't care. Einstine is just one of my favorite people ever and I didn't want America to claim him.
Then why are you spelling his name wrong? Anyway Einstein lived in America, but was a Geman citizen, so whatever.

Quote:
Many different Satiliets, and Space Missions. The same as the American we just didn't waste billions of dollars on a moon mission that did absoluetly nothing but boost our egos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Armstrong
One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind
We went to the moon for scientific reasons and because we did, we were able to make many new discoveries about the moon. For instance, did you know that the moon dosen't have any life forms? Yes it's obvious now, but back in the 1960's it was a heatedly debated argument and the U.S.'s landing on it ended the argument once and for all.

Quote:
It's not 1940 now is it? The canaidan Military is the best trained in the world, we got closer to our D-Day objectives then either American, or Britin. We took Vimy ridge where no one else could, We survived the Battle of ypres due to our ingunity, Don't be talking about Military back then because though we where small we kick a hell of a lot of ass.
Wow, and I thought only war mongers should brag about their military, especially after you've mentioned Vimy Ridge at least twice now. Yes they have very good training, however the United States has the most brute force and politcal influence. For example, we fought both the German and Japaneese forces at once. And trust me, Japan's Imperial army is no pushover.

Quote:
"Thebest argument against Democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter"-Winston Churchill. NUFF SAID.
So what? Churchill may have not liked Democracy, but many people do. Just because not every citizen has full knowledge of political votes, dosen't mean that Democracy is screwed. And like you said is it the 1940's? No. People are highly interested in polotics here. There was a twelve hour coverage of the Pesidential Primaries (it's when the Political Parties vote on their canidates) and it ratings could rival the Super Bowl. Democracy in other countries may not have worked, but it sure is in the U.S.

Quote:
And don't compare Rome to America, Rome was better in so many ways it is not even funny.
WTF? I wasn't comparing Rome to the U.S. And I don't get this whole "OMG U.S. it teh suck!!!" thing you've got going.

Quote:
He did I know, so you got a few good guys I didn't say you didn't. I'm just saying that not all people who are important to you are important to the rest of the world, best you remember that.
Want to know something? Traffic lights? Invented by a U.S. citizen. Artificial Plasma Transplant? U.S. citizen invented it, saving hundreds of thousands of lives.

Quote:
Canada is bettah~
Bettah~
Bettah~

Eh!
At what point did this turn into a debate over which country is better? If there is a diference it's probably so insignifigint it wouldn't make a difference.

Quote:
I'm talking about the regular american Citizen. Most of them don't even know Canada exists, and if they do they think we live in Igloos or something like that.
Have you ever actually lived in the U.S.? If so, then you would know that Americans respect Canada. Oh, and Eskimos are mainly found in Alaska. Just puttin' that out there.

Quote:
FTR: Most countries don't like America.
And after all we've done to try and preserve world peace. Yes some of the attemps were misguided, but we have the world's best interest at heart. I've truly gotten tired of this stereotype of Americans being power grubbing dumbasses. Americans are sophisticated people who do care about the welfare of the world.
Last Edited by B-Rock the Islamic Shock; 02-22-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #87 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 AM
I'm not afraid of Spassky!
View Posts: 1,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock Master
Have you ever actually lived in the U.S.? If so, then you would know that Americans respect Canada. Oh, and Eskimos are mainly found in Alaska. Just puttin' that out there.
They prefer to be called Inuits.

Quote:
We went to the moon for scientific reasons and because we did, we were able to make many new discoveries about the moon. For instance, did you know that the moon dosen't have any life forms? Yes it's obvious now, but back in the 1960's it was a heatedly debated argument and the U.S.'s landing on it ended the argument once and for all.
I think they could pretty much rule out life on the moon. They only used that as an excuse to get more funding, lish.

Quote:
Want to know something? Traffic lights? Invented by a U.S. citizen.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the first traffic lights were built in London. And I doubt that the Americans would have invented them and then kindly donated the idea to the British, despite them being chums and Fleegin'.
  #88 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Banned User

Oh, want to know a funny statement about the US? George Washington said "Please let me sit down, this is making me sick" while crossing the Delaware River. XD

I heard this off of a tv show, so I'm not sure if it's actually true.
  #89 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 AM
The real great 8
Steam ID: Chocobotamer
View Posts: 5,098

Quote:
It's not 1940 now is it? The canaidan Military is the best trained in the world, we got closer to our D-Day objectives then either American, or Britin. We took Vimy ridge where no one else could, We survived the Battle of ypres due to our ingunity, Don't be talking about Military back then because though we where small we kick a hell of a lot of ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock Master View Post
Wow, and I thought only war mongers should brag about their military, especially after you've mentioned Vimy Ridge at least twice now. Yes they have very good training, however the United States has the most brute force and politcal influence. For example, we fought both the German and Japaneese forces at once. And trust me, Japan's Imperial army is no pushover.
Finland hasn't fought in that many wars, we can't say we're that big when it comes to military power, but...

In WWII, Finland owned.
  #90 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 AM
MUST HAVE STABBED HIM FIFTY ****ING TIMES!
View Posts: 5,357

Quote:
Fact: The U.S. Save Britain's ass in WWI and WWII.
Tis pity you haven't won any wars since.
  #91 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

Quote:
I didn't Galedeep did, when he explained the reasons for the bombing on Japan.
Then what was your point about him...your confusing.

Quote:
Then why are you spelling his name wrong? Anyway Einstein lived in America, but was a Geman citizen, so whatever.
-_- Your insulting my spelling now...no need to be childish about this.

Quote:
You went there once, found nothing and never went back. BIG IMPORTANT DISCOVERIES. Seriously America did it to prove they where better then Russia, for Russia was trying to do the same thing.

Quote:
We may not be a war mongering country, but when it gets down to it we can kick more ass then anyone. Vimy Ridge was a tremendous moment in Canadian history, it was when Canada truly felt it was its own country, and not just a part of Great Britian, that is why I mention it.

*Ahem* The Russians not the American's defeated the Germans in Berlin, The Russians completely ownd the war in Europe. Also America got its ass kicked so many times against the japanese, that is nothing to brag about.
Quote:

So what? Churchill may have not liked Democracy, but many people do. Just because not every citizen has full knowledge of political votes, dosen't mean that Democracy is screwed. And like you said is it the 1940's? No. People are highly interested in polotics here. There was a twelve hour coverage of the Pesidential Primaries (it's when the Political Parties vote on their canidates) and it ratings could rival the Super Bowl. Democracy in other countries may not have worked, but it sure is in the U.S.
Did you even read the quote, did you not understand my point? Democracy is an awful goverment system, the lies and scandle it's completely unheard of. I know how important your precious Democracy is, but the fact remains that half the voters have no idea who their voting for. However this is a topic for another day, and really isin't that important.

Quote:
WTF? I wasn't comparing Rome to the U.S. And I don't get this whole "OMG U.S. it teh suck!!!" thing you've got going.
I'm just having fun with you. American's are awsome, as soon as you say one negative thing about their country they explode, ala this.

Quote:
Want to know something? Traffic lights? Invented by a U.S. citizen. Artificial Plasma Transplant? U.S. citizen invented it, saving hundreds of thousands of lives.
So? We the inventor of insolin(spelling XD) was canadian. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF LIVES. I didn't say no American was important you know~

Quote:
At what point did this turn into a debate over which country is better? If there is a diference it's probably so insignifigint it wouldn't make a difference.
It turned into that a few pages back, silly. Not that it matters anyway,

Quote:
I went to New York and a total of 27 people asked me if I lived in an igloo. And the Inuit people are mostly found in the Northwest Territories, IE Canada.

Quote:
And after all we've done to try and preserve world peace. Yes some of the attemps were misguided, but we have the world's best interest at heart. I've truly gotten tired of this stereotype of Americans being power grubbing dumbasses. Americans are sophisticated people who do care about the welfare of the world.
A lot of you attempts where isguided. The world doesn't like American's because they are fat, selfish, and only interested in themselves.
  #92 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
View Posts: 13,513

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's really over-generalized statements, like this
Quote:
The world doesn't like American's because they are fat, selfish, and only interested in themselves.
So lets have a little bit less of that.
  #93 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Burning hooves means Littlepip is watching...
Send a message via AIM to Puck
View Posts: 15,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galedeep View Post
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's really over-generalized statements, like this

So lets have a little bit less of that.
Okay, it's a deal ^_^

What about...

American's have .7 percent of their citzens in Jail, vastly higher then any other country.

Edit: or More than half of Americans are overweight—including at least 1 in 5 children. (Source)
  #94 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Okay, it's a deal ^_^

What about...

American's have .7 percent of their citzens in Jail, vastly higher then any other country.
That is a lot of jailed people... Chances are you'd know eight people in jail, then. I've never known anyone who has been in jail. That means Ireland is great, Lish.
  #95 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
B-Rock the Islamic Shock B-Rock the Islamic Shock is a male United States B-Rock the Islamic Shock is offline
OBAMACARE IS INVINCIBLE

Quote:
Then what was your point about him...your confusing.
My point was, that the Emporer lost his power before the U.S. was even an idea.

Quote:
-_- Your insulting my spelling now...no need to be childish about this.
I didn't say your spelling was bad, but you were spelling his name wrong.

Quote:
You went there once, found nothing and never went back. BIG IMPORTANT DISCOVERIES. Seriously America did it to prove they where better then Russia, for Russia was trying to do the same thing.
We've gone back, and are planning to go to Mars, and this is without a doubt for scientific reasons.

Quote:
We may not be a war mongering country, but when it gets down to it we can kick more ass then anyone. Vimy Ridge was a tremendous moment in Canadian history, it was when Canada truly felt it was its own country, and not just a part of Great Britian, that is why I mention it.
And the rest of the world call us egotistical. Anyway, I think that it's great that you became your own country, however that dosen't give you thright to say that America is crap compared to Canada.

Quote:
*Ahem* The Russians not the American's defeated the Germans in Berlin, The Russians completely ownd the war in Europe. Also America got its ass kicked so many times against the japanese, that is nothing to brag about.
Like I said earlier, we were just helping the Soviets and Britain, but we did win many important battles against the Japaneese by taking many of the Pacific Islands.

Quote:
Did you even read the quote, did you not understand my point? Democracy is an awful goverment system, the lies and scandle it's completely unheard of. I know how important your precious Democracy is, but the fact remains that half the voters have no idea who their voting for. However this is a topic for another day, and really isin't that important.
Quite untrue. I'm not even allowed to vote yet and I know who I want for President. And if so many voters don't know who to vote for, then how is it possible for there to be over two hundred million votes?

Quote:
I'm just having fun with you. American's are awsome, as soon as you say one negative thing about their country they explode, ala this.
Who's exploding? I'm just defending my country. The thing that gets me pissed is when one person says they have the better country. If people like that were in charge of the world, we'd be in constant war.

Quote:
So? We the inventor of insolin(spelling XD) was canadian. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF LIVES. I didn't say no American was important you know~
Dude, lay of the caps lock.

Quote:
It turned into that a few pages back, silly. Not that it matters anyway,
Seriously it's stupid. Canada and America are nearly equals. The only thing that I can think of about America that's truly better than Canada is the wheather. I don't like too much snow. And no I'm not implying that Canadians are snow dwelling nomads, so don't even go there.

Quote:
I went to New York and a total of 27 people asked me if I lived in an igloo. And the Inuit people are mostly found in the Northwest Territories, IE Canada.
So 27 people out of 300,000,000 ask you if you live in an igloo and you suddenly have all the answers? Overgeneralization

Quote:
A lot of you attempts where isguided. The world doesn't like American's because they are fat, selfish, and only interested in themselves.
There are so many things wrong with that statement I don't even know where to begin.
  #96 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 05:26 PM
A Certain Romance
Send a message via Skype™ to Artorium
View Posts: 721

I just have to say one thing to the current argument
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Murray Of The UK
I your not in the fight from the start squire, your not in the fight at all

LOL xD
  #97 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Thigh... I had a feeling this thread would descend into cheap jibes at nations and fall into disarray. Hastina Fleegin' said so. Who is he, you say? He's a big canned pie.
  #98 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Resting Bιtchface Syndrome Sufferer
Send a message via AIM to Slur Send a message via Skype™ to Slur

View Posts: 5,353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurrhead View Post
United States: We don't have free health care. :/
*laughs* Yeah, I believe we are one of four countries in the world like this. The others are Papua New Gunea and two countries in Africa.

-The United States has the only state/territory/province/prefecture (whatever you people have) in the world that is shaped like a mitten: Michigan.

-The United States has some of the largest fresh waterlakes in the world. Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake in the world by area, and third in volume.

-The US is the only country in the world where you can be born a moron and become president--and no this isn't just for Bush, he is a nice person ^___^

I don't know what else I can really say, besides that Sweden, Japan, and Canada are way cooler than the US. I mean, anything can happen in Sweden.
  #99 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
OBAMACARE IS INVINCIBLE

This is exactly what I'm talking about. So many teens to people in their early 20's think that America's Shi't. It's depressing.
  #100 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 02-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Oh Goodness!
Send a message via AIM to Hippo Cloud
View Posts: 1,358

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. So many teens to people in their early 20's think that America's Shi't. It's depressing.
America, Canada and Mexico are in a sick awesome threesome in the continent.

Yeah, America is in the shizzle right now though.

Lady Knives made the signature picture, SUBMIT TO HER WILL!

... SCIENCE!

Tags
country, facts