Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Self-Banned

View Posts: 8,030
Labor Laws

Odd topic, but I moreso simply have a question.

How long can a sixteen year old legally work over a one week time period?

I ask because I recently put my two weeks notice in at my job, and that effective the 31 of December I shall no longer be an employee there. I have been asked to work from Sunday the 23 to Monday the 31. This baffles me because a good portion of these days are 8 hour work days, one or two being 5 hour work days. I don't know if there's a limit to how many hours they can work me.

Also, if in my resignation letter, I wrote "I am resigning from my position effective December 31-", does that imply I'm working that day and it's my last, or that I am no longer working as of that day? I was trying to imply the latter, so I am not sure if they're justified in scheduling me then or not.

I'm also just ****ing pissed that I have been scheduled to work nine ****ing days in a ****ing row and I have to work christmas, christmas eve, and ****ing new years.

Please educate me. Thank you.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 PM
A BEING HERR GEEK
View Posts: 2,036
Re: Labor Laws

Check your local laws. America, right? Check your state laws or something. I think what you're doing would be illegal in Norway, but don't know about America. Search internet, ask.. unions, or something? I don't know which local organisations which might help you there, but try to find some.

I would interpret your letter as the 30. being your last work day. Since you'd be resigned effective from, and counting, the 31.

Maloney made this sigg. Peefy is cool.
I've adopted Shinji

Tags
labor, laws