$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Fabulous
Send a message via AIM to LegendofLex
View Posts: 20,982
Re: Views On Smoking

Plus: Economy boost. :]
Downsides: It's ****ing smoke. I have never seen smoking serve as an altogether positive thing (then again, the same is true of alcohol). While I don't think this constitutes a banning... it's smoke, as I said earlier. You can't be a secondhand alcoholic, if you get my drift.
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 80

I think my username speaks for itself

Just to clear something up, it is impossible to directly die from smoking marijuana. You can inderectly die from it, for example, doing something stupid which results in your death, lung cancer, etc., But you cannot directly die from the THC. In other words, it is impossible to overdose, unlike alcohol, where it is very possible to die from too much of it. As long as you use common sense when smoking (i.e., not driving, not operating heavy machinery, etc), then you don't have much of a reason to worry about dying from stupid choices. And if you use a vaporizer, it will help remove the bad stuff from the marijuana, greatly reducing the risk of lung cancer. It won't completely eliminate the chance, but it reduces it enough to make it sort of less of a worry.

I personaly see no reason why it should be kept illegal.
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Fighter of the Nightman.
View Posts: 8,804

Quote:
Make drugs legal and suddenly all the drug lords vanish and crime rates drop, just like they did following the end of prohibition.
True cvrime rates would drop.
Less people would also use drugs if they were legalized, as people want what they cant have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDatBud View Post
Well, I smoke both cigarettes and marijuana, just about every day, and I can easily say that smoking cigarettes is much more dangerous.

Most people think marijuana isn't addictive, and chemically speaking, it isn't. But anyone can become mentally dependent on anything if they like it enough.

Smoking cigarettes is much worse, because they are in fact, chemically addictive. I cant even tell you what its like to go a whole day without one when your addicted...

Also, marijuana is a more natural and god-like substance, rather than the evil tobacco company's, altering the chemicals in their cigarettes.

But my honest opinion is, don't smoke either of them. They screwed up my grades, my general odor, and they changed my social standpoint. Not for the worse, necessarily, but I did get mixed up with some people I wish I never met.
Yeah dont blame yourself, blame smoking.
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike87 View Post
True cvrime rates would drop.
Less people would also use drugs if they were legalized, as people want what they cant have.

Yeah dont blame yourself, blame smoking.
So witty this one.

Calm down, everyone knows its the persons fault, you don't need to say it aloud unless you want to sound pretentious and congratulations, you do.

I made this f***in thing. Ill be expecting your money in the mail.

Disclaimer: Marijuana is unlawful to grow, process, and/or use. No one should use it but me.
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
It inhales vigorously to apose me!
Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-Link

View Posts: 6,950

Quote:
^ 4,444th post. ^

And my 44th post. Weird.

Good idea. All of those things are absolutely correct. Even if it was completely safe to you health, it still changes you. I'm sure not a lot of you want to change. Granted, some people don't change at all. I'm taking a more general view on this based on personal experience.
I know, I'm a post-hoar.

Amen brother! ^_^ Luckly, my brother smokes, but has not changed in the least. *whew*

*huggles* I love me brother. =3
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Dude, I can put my hand UNDER the stain...
View Posts: 398

Smoking, along with drinking, I am fine with as long as they are done casually. My ex-girlfriend started smoking around the same time we started going out. I noticed that it had quickly become an addiction (these were cigarettes), so I told her that she had to stop because it was really changing her. She was getting addicted and I noticed that it was becoming a necessity for her. She drinks too, but I wasn't able to fight that one because it was a lasting addiction (and also a contributing factor to her being an ex-girlfriend).
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... That is up to you." -Happy Mask Salesman

Anything I post about the development of a new game should be regarded as a game that I am making unless stated otherwise.

Check out the Future Zelda Thread!!!
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Previously lord-of-shadow
Send a message via AIM to Max Nichols
View Posts: 8,081

If my girlfriend started smoking it would mean an instant-breakup, no second-thoughts. There is no better way to lose my respect than to smoke, and without respect there can be no relationship.

Thankfully, she shares my views, so it will never be an issue.
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 01:59 AM

Well the problem with my ex was that there were some problems she was going through, and she happened to have friends who had... special supplies. She got the goods from them, I found out and talked to her about it. I don't dislike the smoking, I dislike the people who become fully dependent on the smoking.

In fact, I have a really good friend who smokes pot almost on a daily basis. Really cool guy. Really smart guy. Doesn't even smell either. I don't know what he does to cover that up, but he found a way. But my main point with him, he isn't dependent on the stuff. My ex was dependent on alcohol, which is why we ended up breaking it off (plus some other problems, but that's besides the point..). Like has been said before, blame the smoker, not the drugs.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time... That is up to you." -Happy Mask Salesman

Anything I post about the development of a new game should be regarded as a game that I am making unless stated otherwise.

#49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Gerudo Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord-of-shadow View Post
If my girlfriend started smoking it would mean an instant-breakup, no second-thoughts. There is no better way to lose my respect than to smoke, and without respect there can be no relationship.

Thankfully, she shares my views, so it will never be an issue.
Dont get me wrong, I understand that smoking is a bad thing, and no one should actually do it, but are you telling me EVERY single person who smokes, you have no respect for?

Disclaimer: Marijuana is unlawful to grow, process, and/or use. No one should use it but me.
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 AM

As for myself, I told my girlfriend that I would lose all respect for her after repetitive lying. Which she was able to pull off very nicely

#51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 02:14 AM

Not necessarily. But here's the thing; smoking is a huge negative. If someone is smoking when they make a first impression, there is an incredibly slim chance of me ever giving them another chance at all. I'd more likely spit in their faces and tell them I don't want to hear anything they have to say. After all, smoking shows an incredible lack of self-respect, and if they don't even respect themselves enough to stop smoking, why on earth shouold I respect them or even give them the time of day? They're basically telling the world that they think their own life is worthless.

So yeah. It's not outright impossible for someone who smokes to gain or retain my respect, but they have to be doing some pretty weighty stuff in other areas of their life to make up for it. So far no one has really done it. I can't think of anyone I respect who also smokes.

EDIT: I just want to be clear that I'm talking about smoking cigarettes or othe tobacco products, here. I have far less of a problem with those who smoke marijuana, although I wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten-foot poll, myself.
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Gerudo Thief

I can understand all of that except the part about "spitting on their face". Now obviously, I can understand this is just a metaphor, but the fact of the matter is, unless they blow the smoke in your face, you have no real reason to "hate" or "dislike" them.

It sounds like you're pretty passionate about people not smoking, and is there any real reason you have besides their lack of self-respect? In my humble opinion, if someone has no self-respect, and still doesn't even do anything weighty to "make up for it", you can see still a decent person in them.

#53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 02:21 AM

You should meet my friend James (the guy I was talking about). You wouldn't even be able to tell that he was a smoker unless someone told you. It was a shocker when I found out.

*after James shows off his A's and B's on his Progress Report*
Jimmy: You damn pot-head! How do you get such good grades killing all those brain cells!?
Me: James is a druggy? Whoah! I'm the clean one and I'm failing two classes!?

#54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Light Spirit
Send a message via AIM to sugar Send a message via Skype™ to sugar
View Posts: 4,218

Quote:
Not necessarily. But here's the thing; smoking is a huge negative. If someone is smoking when they make a first impression, there is an incredibly slim chance of me ever giving them another chance at all. I'd more likely spit in their faces and tell them I don't want to hear anything they have to say. After all, smoking shows an incredible lack of self-respect, and if they don't even respect themselves enough to stop smoking, why on earth shouold I respect them or even give them the time of day? They're basically telling the world that they think their own life is worthless.

So yeah. It's not outright impossible for someone who smokes to gain or retain my respect, but they have to be doing some pretty weighty stuff in other areas of their life to make up for it. So far no one has really done it. I can't think of anyone I respect who also smokes.

EDIT: I just want to be clear that I'm talking about smoking cigarettes or othe tobacco products, here. I have far less of a problem with those who smoke marijuana, although I wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten-foot poll, myself.
Seems to me like you're taking one quality about a person and building countless assumptions off of it in order to justify hating them. There's way too much hate in the world to want to spit in someone's face because their smoking a cigarette. I mean, good God. I can understand your mentality of "why should I respect them when they don't even respect themselves?", but it seems like you're being a little harsh.

A question, though: What if you met someone who you considered to be a kind and decent person, then later found out that they smoked? Would your opinion of them completely turn around?

Quote:
I can understand all of that except the part about "spitting on their face". Now obviously, I can understand this is just a metaphor, but the fact of the matter is, unless they blow the smoke in your face, you have no real reason to "hate" or "dislike" them.

It sounds like you're pretty passionate about people not smoking, and is there any real reason you have besides their lack of self-respect? In my humble opinion, if someone has no self-respect, and still doesn't even do anything weighty to "make up for it", you can see still a decent person in them.
mhm. yes, to both parts. While respecting yourself and others are both pretty important in my opinion, I'm more likely to dislike someone for not respecting other people than not respecting themselves.
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 10:41 AM
REEEE-DICULOUS!
View Posts: 2,754

Quote:

Well at least you're not overly judgemental!

Quote:
Not necessarily. But here's the thing; smoking is a huge negative. If someone is smoking when they make a first impression, there is an incredibly slim chance of me ever giving them another chance at all. I'd more likely spit in their faces and tell them I don't want to hear anything they have to say
Wow you really are something. You'd disregard person in their entirety because they smoke? Albert Einstein and Sigmund Freud were both smokers - would you spit in their faces and ignore every word they ever wrote?

Quote:
After all, smoking shows an incredible lack of self-respect, and if they don't even respect themselves enough to stop smoking, why on earth should I respect them or even give them the time of day?
Einstein doesn't deserve your respect? Just how pious and self-important are you exactly? You must consider yourself to be some kind of saint, without fault or vice, to have such a ridiculous attitude. I can assure you however that your delusions are unwarranted, because you've demonstrated here that you are a highly presumptuous and ignorant man.

How do you feel when you see an over-weight person? I presume that they fill you with a similar revulsion; after all their condition is self inflicted and they wouldn't be fat if they had only burned more calories. Look out over-weight boardies, Lord-Of-Shadow has a present for you if he ever encounters you on the streets!

You must avoid pubs and clubs that serve alcohol (which is just as destructive as tobacco - if not more so) as well right? I doubt your saliva glands would be capable of keeping up with the numbers of self-hating drinkers there. You have NO IDEA why people might have picked up a cigarette in the first place, and it seems as though you're not even interested - it's far more fun to just spew egotistical drivel like this though isn't it?

I wonder what kind of world we'd live in if everybody had your attitude...

Quote:
EDIT: I just want to be clear that I'm talking about smoking cigarettes or other tobacco products, here. I have far less of a problem with those who smoke marijuana, although I wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten-foot poll, myself.
Then you're a complete hypocrite, because sustained cannabis usage poses just as many risks to your mental health than tobacco does to your physical health.

Your therapist will be able to retire by the time this topic comes up. I might have to book myself in for a session because I've honestly never read anything quite so vile in my life.

Float your appalling attitudes.

EDIT - And my thanks to Sugar and SmokinDatBud for expressing herself with more restraint and class than I've been capable of!
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
A question, though: What if you met someone who you considered to be a kind and decent person, then later found out that they smoked? Would your opinion of them completely turn around?
There is a very important distinction between respecting someone and liking someone. There are plenty of smokers that I think are nice, or decent people.

As I've said, smoking is a big negative, but it's not an automatic end-all be-all thing. It's entirely possible for someone to earn that respect through the other actions of their lives. Smoking is one factor among many. But if it is the only thing I've been exposed to in a person, then I don't know of any good qualities to counteract it.

Vega: My views on pot smokers are not born out of hypocrisy. I simply am not as familiar with the consequences of it, and if I don't know the facts behind it, I can hardly judge people by it, now can I?

And my views on overweight people are not as clear-cut, because there is a lot less personal choice involved, and a lot more involuntary things that can cause it. but smoking? The people that smoke chose to start smoking. It's not the result of a slow metabolism that they're born with, or a disease that causes them to smoke, or a lack of money to buy healthier food. They started entirely of their own volition. Disgusting.
Last Edited by Max Nichols; 12-16-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 02:03 PM

I actually agree with Vega. I have a lot of friends who smoke, and I wouldn't ditch them on my life. I more than respect them, I trust them too. But again, I don't hate the smoke, or the smokers. I hate the dependence. When someone needs a smoke to go on with their life, that is when I lose respect.

I lose respect for those people because they have a weak mind. I look at the personality and the habit, not just the appearance...

#58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-16-2007, 05:48 PM
EternalSunshine EternalSunshine is a female Azerbaijan EternalSunshine is offline
STOP, whatchuuuu lookin' at?
View Posts: 641

I know a few people who smoke Marijuana. The same people have been caught smoking normal ciggarettes in the toilets and have been cautioned, but if ever found smoking marijuana, they'd be expelled without question. The girl I know who smokes it has been in trouble with the police because of it and I think it's rather irresponsible of her. Luckily, the school don't know but they'll probably find out sooner or later.

I don't smoke and have never tried smoking and even though I'd run round with my hands over my ears screaming 'IM NEVER GONA SMOKE!!' as a child, I know I'll try it. Just out of curiosity. I just pray I wont get hooked.

My dad smokes, everyday. He smokes a large cuban cigars every single evening on our balcony. I couldn't bare it at first but I can live with it. However, if I see my mum smoking it's a completely different story. I'll grab it off her and throw it as far as possible
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2007, 05:58 PM
REEEE-DICULOUS!
View Posts: 2,754

Quote:

Vega: My views on pot smokers are not born out of hypocrisy. I simply am not as familiar with the consequences of it, and if I don't know the facts behind it, I can hardly judge people by it, now can I?
Well you'd think so wouldn't you?
Although you don't seem to have problem jumping to conclusions about people who you see with a cigarette in their hand.

Maybe the gospel of Lord-Of-Shadow only has one book.
*yawn*

Quote:
And my views on overweight people are not as clear-cut, because there is a lot less personal choice involved, and a lot more involuntary things that can cause it. but smoking? The people that smoke chose to start smoking.
First of all, nobody's fat in a famine. You can rest assured that the majority of over-weight people are in the position that they're in through their lifestyle.

Quote:
It's not the result of a slow metabolism that they're born with, or a disease that causes them to smoke, or a lack of money to buy healthier food. They started entirely of their own volition. Disgusting.
And you don't know why people start smoking either.

I've been reading some interesting papers on the neurology of addiction for my course, particularly with regards to babies who are born to mothers who indulge in drugs throughout pregnancy. There's some interesting research going on at the moment concerning infants who are hardwired to addiction and the effects of second hand smoke on them.

I also find it interesting that you are so willing to consider the many different possibilities that could explain why a person might become obese, but you don't give smokers the same benefit of the doubt. How do you know that the person who you spot on the street with a cigarette in their hand didn't develop their addiction during infancy when they were too young to fully appreciate the effects of nicotine? For all you know they could have grown up in an environment where they weren't taught about the dangers of smoking.

How do you know that the person with a cigarette isn't a depressive with impaired reasoning and learned behavioural patterns of helplessness?

And once again, alcohol is just as destructive as smoking - probably even more so. Do you feel that anybody who puts a bloody mary to their lips has no self-respect as well?

Girlfriend, please. A little word of advice for you: How about instead of spitting your venom at people like a malevolent cobra you engage your brain?

You need to CHECK yourself before you WRECK yourself.

Float your despair.
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-17-2007, 06:16 PM
MUST HAVE STABBED HIM FIFTY ****ING TIMES!
View Posts: 5,357

I used to be uptight and edgy about any sort of illegal drugs, but now I'm much more lax, while I refuse to do any myself, i don't mind other people smoking/doing them around me. I've had enough of trying to interfere.

Tags
smoking, views