Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Screw the rules, I have money!
Send a message via AIM to Hungry Gamer
View Posts: 1,856
Would You Die For Your Wife?

I asked this question in one of my classes a few weeks ago. I explained to them that I believed you should die for your wife faster than you would die for your mother. Most of them dissagreed. All of them besides me said they would die for thier mothers, but would never die for thier wives.

I just wrong for you to marry someone, but not love them enough to take a bullet for them. I also find it dishonorible to do this for your mother faster than you would your wife. I understand how they feel, they feel that this is the woman who gave birth to you and raised your pig-headed ass for most of your life, they love them extremely deeply for putting up with that. That is your mother however, you have to break from her, and as heartless as it sounds, you must replace her.

So yes, if I got married, I would die for my wife. What would you do?

If you are female, how do you feel on the question? Do you think a man should love you that much?

[SIZE=1]Sig by Wolf_Goddess and Avy by Dark Chi
BA characters Clark and Daruz
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Avalanchemike

View Posts: 19,074
Re: Would You Die For Your Wife?

First off - what the hell @ situation, but I'll make an attempt to answer.

Um... I don't know, honestly, because what I say now could be hella different should the occasion, erm, happen, I guess.

Awkwardness.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Sheikah
View Posts: 577

Okay I used to think the same thing that I would die for someone I love but would you really? How can you possible know what you would do in that sort of situation and imagine the emotional effects that it would have on the person you saved. They may feel that it's their fault their your dead, it would be so confusing for them and how would the rest of your family feel if you choose your wife over your mother. The choice would be too hard for alot of people to make. At least until this hypothetical situation happened.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
jcd ; bionicman
Steam ID: OatsNraisin
View Posts: 17,966

This depends...

is she hot?

I'm not married yet.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 04:38 PM
(Jehanne)

View Posts: 17,462

My husband and I are very close. I would say that we're much closer to each other than we are to anybody else in our families.

Were you asking this to people who are actually married? If not, then their answers are BS because they can't predict how they'll feel later on. Hypothetical question/answer tends to be wishy-washy anyway.

#6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 04:39 PM
formerly Tsunata
Send a message via AIM to Anya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya
View Posts: 2,576

I don't think I'll have a wife, so since I won't, I wouldn't die for someone who wasn't there.

I'm not even 15 yet, and I hardly know a thing about love, but I hope when I get married I'd like them enough to be willing to die for my husband. Though I also hope there won't come a time when I need to. >>
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 73

I wouldnt take a bullet for anyone, so I guess I avoid the mother/wife debate. Plus, im not going to have a wife.

But if I was in the situation where I would have to choose one to save over the other, I would probably choose to save the wife over the mother. (mostly because the wife would probably have more years left in their life).
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 PM
:)
View Posts: 1,032

I could say yes but I don't know if I would do it.
Metroid Prime 3 corruption
Halo 3
CoD 4

BATTLE DAWN

#9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 PM
EternalSunshine EternalSunshine is a female Azerbaijan EternalSunshine is offline
STOP, whatchuuuu lookin' at?
View Posts: 641

Well for my mother.. maybe. Me and my mum are very close and even though I say I'd take a bullet for her if the situation actually came, I'm not sure how I'd react. For my spouse (when/if I get one): No. I believe it's possible to love someone so much that if they were facing death you'd take their place and die instead, but that just doesn't apply to me. If you said you'd take a bullet for them and they in turn said, oh I'd take a bullet for you too, however much you love each other if the situation came would they really stick to their word? I don't know is the answer. What I do know is that if I was about to die my mother would take my place. I don't even need to ask her, I just know. Its a mum thing
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Screw the rules, I have money!
Send a message via AIM to Hungry Gamer
View Posts: 1,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalSunshine View Post
Well for my mother.. maybe. Me and my mum are very close and even though I say I'd take a bullet for her if the situation actually came, I'm not sure how I'd react. For my spouse (when/if I get one): No. I believe it's possible to love someone so much that if they were facing death you'd take their place and die instead, but that just doesn't apply to me. If you said you'd take a bullet for them and they in turn said, oh I'd take a bullet for you too, however much you love each other if the situation came would they really stick to their word? I don't know is the answer. What I do know is that if I was about to die my mother would take my place. I don't even need to ask her, I just know. Its a mum thing

Well yes. I expect most mothers to die for thier children, even if it was from day old, to it's adulthood.The father is something different, though, I don't think I would die for my son if he were over 15. If I had a daughter though, I don't know. There is something about father/daughter relationships.

[SIZE=1]Sig by Wolf_Goddess and Avy by Dark Chi
BA characters Clark and Daruz
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 PM
The Great Panda The Great Panda is a male United States The Great Panda is offline
Big Pimpin'
View Posts: 2,201

I can't believe no one has said they'd die for both. Either way, the mother aspect has to be axed in my case, as I don't have a mom to die for. She died back in '04.

But yeah, I would die for my wife.

#12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
EternalSunshine EternalSunshine is a female Azerbaijan EternalSunshine is offline
STOP, whatchuuuu lookin' at?
View Posts: 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Gamer View Post
Well yes. I expect most mothers to die for thier children, even if it was from day old, to it's adulthood.The father is something different, though, I don't think I would die for my son if he were over 15. If I had a daughter though, I don't know. There is something about father/daughter relationships.
All quoted is true. The bold made me smile. I also believe there is a different bond between father/son than there is between father/daughter. Or it could just be because men/boys are portrayed as strong and as a father you'd expect them to be 'tough enough' whereas father's always have that feeling that makes them feel obligated to protect and stand-by their daughters. I don't know if any of that applies to you though.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Significantly more hydrated than you.
Wii U ID: Blizzaga

View Posts: 35,524

You can die for both...or one or the other.

If my mother was in danger, I'd risk my life to save her.

If my eternal companion was in danger, I'd risk my life to save her.

If both were endangered, I'd try and save both.

???

#14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Noble Keybearer

View Posts: 23,739

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Panda View Post
I can't believe no one has said they'd die for both. Either way, the mother aspect has to be axed in my case, as I don't have a mom to die for. She died back in '04.

But yeah, I would die for my wife.
I would say the same for me, except that my mum died at the start of this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalSunshine View Post
All quoted is true. The bold made me smile. I also believe there is a different bond between father/son than there is between father/daughter. Or it could just be because men/boys are portrayed as strong and as a father you'd expect them to be 'tough enough' whereas father's always have that feeling that makes them feel obligated to protect and stand-by their daughters. I don't know if any of that applies to you though.
I completely agree with this. In fact, I would prefer to have a daughter than a son.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Anatidaephobia
View Posts: 1,998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzaga View Post
You can die for both...or one or the other.

If my mother was in danger, I'd risk my life to save her.

If my eternal companion was in danger, I'd risk my life to save her.

If both were endangered, I'd try and save both.
Your... a guy?

Whatever I would say wife more than mother but honestly, I'm too selfish to risk my life for someone else. Unless that someone gave me my paycheck.

Sig made by the amazing DarkShadowLink9

PM me if you want to Brawl
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM
grrvvhh bmuuuhhh uhhnngh gh uhhhgmmvb... uuhhh...
Send a message via ICQ to Posneg Send a message via AIM to Posneg
View Posts: 164

Um... I love my mom, and if I had a wife, I would (hopefully) love her too. What kind of situation would actually ask you to choose which person to take the bullet for? Are they both about to be shot at the same time?
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
wizzzaarrrd!
Send a message via AIM to Gracie
View Posts: 3,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammad Titanium View Post
This depends...

is she hot?

I'm not married yet.
That's a bit offensive, and I don't find it funny. >__>

I'd certainly be happy if my husband (who is nonexistant) would die for me. But I can understand if he'd rather die for his mother, sort of... o_O

Um, anyways... True love can be a powerful thing. I think many husbands would save someone they truly love. You guys just don't know it yet, because most of you are not madly in love. :]

"Maybe it's the sum of a million coincidences we don't quite control that brings us to a particular place
at a particular time, or maybe it's the choices we make, the actions we take. If there's one thing I've learned in 85 years, it's
that what we want doesn't always matter. But then again, sometimes it's all that does." - Mick St. John

#18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Anatidaephobia
View Posts: 1,998

I found that comment very offensive and inapropriate.

But that's what made it so humorus.

Sig made by the amazing DarkShadowLink9

PM me if you want to Brawl
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
fab
Send a message via Skype™ to musical zombie.
View Posts: 10,273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammad Titanium View Post
This depends...

is she hot?

I'm not married yet.
Attention: all members under the name Mohammed Titanium are asked to leave the internet immediately and go bang their heads against the nearest brick wall for a couple of hours.

We hope that, through rigorous head-bangs, logic will somehow be knocked into their skulls.

It's kinda of a hard question to answer, whether or not to decide who takes the bullet. Humans are superficial like that; it's not a matter of whether or not they're your wife. It could be your friend, or your brother, or your aunt. The verdict would somehow depend on whether or not YOU are willing to die for someone else, or if they are willing to die for you.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-03-2007, 08:00 PM
so ridoclus
Send a message via Skype™ to Jordan
Steam ID: deafas♥♥♥♥
View Posts: 10,868

I'm currently in my first real serious crush. I've had plenty of little crushes on girls in the past, in which I thought my feelings could grow no stronger.

Feeling what I feel now, I know that once you truly know someone, truly feel them, you can feel thousands of times stronger than you ever thought you could.

As I currently feel, a world without her is Hell. A life without her kind words gently whispered nearby is a waste. I don't even feel that away about my mother. If she were to ever die, while I stayed behind, it would truly be the epitome of pain.

Tags
die, wife