Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Love or money?
Love 37 69.81%
Money 16 30.19%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
$ LinkBack Thread Tools
 
  #41 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Sonic Rainboom Sonic Rainboom is a female Sonic Rainboom is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
View Posts: 30,568
Re: Love or money?

We're still animals, regardless of what we evolved from. We move freely, give birth to young, eat, sleep, and numerous other things that animals do. We're even classified as mammals (which are a group of animals). So I'm afraid your point isn't valid, Tim.
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Aex Aex is a male Canada Aex is offline
Boo.
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
View Posts: 6,832
Re: Love or money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom G
to be truly happy I feel you do need love.
False.

Quote:
And its far more valuable than money.
You can't say that for sure. Love can't be measured, so you can't give it a definite price. =/

Quote:
And money is not forever, what if the market crashes, you get robbed, or your identity gets stolen, there goes your money and you're all alone and will die alone, an empty person.
First of all, none of the above catastrophes guarantee bankruptcy. If someone is smart enough to amass a fortune, they'll undoubtedly be smart enough to protect it.

And secondly, just because you don't have love doesn't mean you don't have friendship. Even if you don't have someone you love, there's nothing to say you'll die alone.

Quote:
True love does last forever and you'll never be alone and will be happy.
False. True love ends just like any other type of feeling, especially when faced with certain obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysis

Alas the selfishness of those who value material possessions over love. Woe to them, for they know not the meaning of true love.
Says who? Just because someone values material possessions over love doesn't mean they don't understand the nature of true love. It's perfectly possible to understand it and not prefer it. =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamari
Love, definitely. People who prefer money are usually greedy and I don't want to be thought of as greedy. They don't want to loan money to anybody as a nice favor, they want it all for themselves. I don't want to wind up like that.
Gotta love sweeping generalizations.

Quote:
Just look at the huge percentage of people in the US who are in poverty right now.
Just look at divorce rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamari
Seems you've forgotten one little thing, Tim. Humans are animals.
We're not, actually.

Quote:
We can survive without money just as other animals can. Think of cavemen and indians. They hunt for food and they live off of it. I don't see any money being needed there.
You're right. Money isn't needed, but it makes life easier. Not simpler, mind you, but easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Cutflaik
I'm afraid humans aren't 100% animals, dear.
By definition, we're not even animals at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamari
I'm afraid they are, Tim. Unless you can prove me wrong.
Done.

Dictionary.com.


Quote:
We're still animals, regardless of what we evolved from. We move freely, give birth to young, eat, sleep, and numerous other things that animals do. We're even classified as mammals (which are a group of animals). So I'm afraid your point isn't valid, Tim.
See above.

I've come to realize that love, while desirable, is still only an emotion. Call it as "true" as you desire, but that doesn't change the nature of it. It's not something magical or mystical that somehow makes all of life's problems go away. And while the euphoric feeling that accompanies it might make you think otherwise, you're perfectly capable of leading a happy, fulfilling life without it.

Money, on the other hand, is pretty much needed to survive in the world humans have established for themselves. It's not something evil that corrupts us, like many seem to think. It's simply something that can be used in any way one desires. Perhaps unfortunately, the manner in which we use it often mirrors our inner personality and desires.

So money it is for me.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Sonic Rainboom Sonic Rainboom is a female Sonic Rainboom is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
View Posts: 30,568
Re: Love or money?

If we're not animals, then why are we classified as mammals?
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Aex Aex is a male Canada Aex is offline
Boo.
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
View Posts: 6,832
Re: Love or money?

Because we fit the definition of mammals. We're still mammals, of course. But the very definition of "animals" excludes us specifically.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Sonic Rainboom Sonic Rainboom is a female Sonic Rainboom is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
View Posts: 30,568
Re: Love or money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aex View Post
Because we fit the definition of mammals. We're still mammals, of course. But the very definition of "animals" excludes us specifically.
That doesn't make sense. Mammals are animals. We are mammals. Therefore, we are animals.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Anya Anya is a female United States Anya is offline
formerly Tsunata
Send a message via AIM to Anya Send a message via Skype™ to Anya
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maine.
View Posts: 2,576
Re: Love or money?

I'd prefer love. Because love can mean a lot of things, like familial affection, having friends that are very close, or having a romantic lover, etc.
Money is, well, money.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Aex Aex is a male Canada Aex is offline
Boo.
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
View Posts: 6,832
Re: Love or money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamari
That doesn't make sense. Mammals are animals. We are mammals. Therefore, we are animals.
No, therefore nothing. The definition of animals specifically states that humans don't qualify. Whether or not they're mammals is of no consequence. The definition of animals is basically, "All mammals except humans."
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant Lollipop Lieutenant Lollipop is a female Lieutenant Lollipop is offline
The father of Cool
Send a message via Skype™ to Lieutenant Lollipop
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
View Posts: 7,746
Re: Love or money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aex View Post
No, therefore nothing. The definition of animals specifically states that humans don't qualify. Whether or not they're mammals is of no consequence. The definition of animals is basically, "All mammals except humans."
Thank you for the extended explantion, I couldn't, since my english isn't that great.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Evaline Evaline is a female United States Evaline is offline
Summertime Sadness
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ABERDEEEEEN! WAY BACK! WAY BACK!
View Posts: 2,877
Re: Love or money?

Love, definitely. Money is great to have, and all, but it's worthless if you can't share it with someone special. =\
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Lysis Antarctica Lysis is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington State
View Posts: 19,713
Re: Love or money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Saibot View Post
No, it's not. Look at animals, do they have money? no. Do they rely on their local grocery store for food? no. Do they survive? yes. (well, most of them do)
Of course, that's ignoring the fact that animals don't express love either...

And, at Aex: Humans are indeed animals. Learn to use a dictionary properly.



In this image, definition 1 clearly states that humans are indeed animals. Definition 2 is the same as definition 1, only excluding humans. These are separate and different definitions, and have different meanings. They are essentially mutually exclusive. They don't both qualify at the same time. When I say humans are animals, I am referring to definition 1. Definition 2 does not disqualify or neutralize definition 1, it does not add on to definition 1, the only thing it does is define "animal" differently than definition 1.

Learn how dictionaries work please.

Also note that definition 3 includes humans as well.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Sonic Rainboom Sonic Rainboom is a female Sonic Rainboom is offline
Banned User
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
View Posts: 30,568
Re: Love or money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aex View Post
No, therefore nothing. The definition of animals specifically states that humans don't qualify. Whether or not they're mammals is of no consequence. The definition of animals is basically, "All mammals except humans."
I still don't think that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Lysis Antarctica Lysis is offline
Banned User
Send a message via Skype™ to Lysis
Steam ID: lysate 3DS ID: ❤❤❤❤ if I'm gonna write down this whole damn thing, PM me or something.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington State
View Posts: 19,713
Re: Love or money?

It doesn't make sense because it isn't true. He's using the second definition of animal as if the first definition doesn't qualify. In a dictionary alternate definitions are listed. Just because one alternate definition says one thing, it doesn't make the other definitions false.
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Aex Aex is a male Canada Aex is offline
Boo.
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
View Posts: 6,832
Re: Love or money?

Ha ha. Oh, well then, please excuse that unbelievably ridiculous mistake on my part. I'm apparently not accustomed enough with some of the more infinitesimal functions of a dictionary, and that has fatally impeded my ability to argue on an internet forum. Gah, what am I doing with my life?

I maintain that humans are not animals. If for no other reason than I like definition two better than definition one. And that's my right as an infinitely stubborn son of a gun.
__________________

Last Edited by Aex; 09-16-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Flames of Valor United States Flames of Valor is offline
Sapere aude
Join Date: Feb 2005
View Posts: 5,400
Re: Love or money?

I can be rich and have love but can't love and be rich, so therefore I choose money so then I shall find someone to love. Then I have both, I'd rather been rich and loved than poor and loved.
__________________

To remember friendship is to recall those
conversations that it seemed a sin to break off.

- Christopher Hitchens -
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Jada Abu Dhabi Jada is offline
Narcissistic Misanthropist.
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Australia
View Posts: 2,210
Re: Love or money?

Money, definitely.
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Awkin Awkin is a male United Kingdom Awkin is offline
Nothing really mattress
Send a message via Skype™ to Awkin
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Engleberry
View Posts: 5,584
Re: Love or money?

I quite like wearing boots until they wear through, and I'm not fussed about much else if it gets the job done, and new things... don't carry the same weight.

I'm the kind of person who can live quite happily with a paintbrush and a violin. And, since I am doing so -- I can't see how a pile of copper can give me anything better by replacing my coat with the new model twice a month, or giving me a nice, shiny home with sliding doors. I mean, it might be nice -- and I could be alone as lavishly as I liked, but it's not for me.

So love, definitely.

And humans do everything animals do. And we're classed as an animal, on account of being a living thing that isn't a plant. And since no-one's presented any evidence otherwise, I'm inclined to stick to the idea that, yeah, we are animals.

Unless you're a Christian, in which case yeah -- you wouldn't consider humans animals, because they think animals have no soul and humans do. But whatever.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Galedeep Canada Galedeep is online now
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
Steam ID: nolanam
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ontario
View Posts: 13,512
Re: Love or money?

Future stole my post

I love money. Money lets me buy stuff that makes me happy. If I had lots of money, I wouldn't have to worry about things as much. Money is a good thing to have.

I love love. I love being in love. I don't care what it does to me. (I CAN STILL HAVE A SONG LYRIC IN MY POST, TOO.) If I couldn't feel love, then I wouldn't be very happy.

So, money makes me happy, so does love. If I didn't have money, I could still be happy maybe. I don't think I could be happy without love.

In conclusion, I'll take both.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-30-2007, 07:12 PM
link07 United_States link07 is offline
Gerudo Thief
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
View Posts: 146
Smile Love

I'd rather have love, because I'd rather live a normal-budget life with a wife that I love and who loves me back than haviong all the money in the world with to be with.
__________________

Life is paved by the choices you make. Don't screw it up.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Kiri-Kraze Kiri-Kraze is a male United States Kiri-Kraze is offline
WOOO!
Send a message via AIM to Kiri-Kraze Send a message via Yahoo to Kiri-Kraze
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Coming to a town near you!
View Posts: 8,641
Re: Love or money?

I'm going with money. I've given up on love. Cash is a bit harder to give up.
__________________

~BA Characters~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
My confidence just had an erection.
~RIP Ceesco~
Big bro will always love you.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
HurriSbezu United States HurriSbezu is offline
It is a good test of a head to stand on it.
Send a message via AIM to HurriSbezu
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sacred Chao
View Posts: 4,393
Re: Love or money?

Love is everlasting. Money is just a convenient fiction we use.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
love, money


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertisement

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Copyright © 2014 Zelda Universe - Privacy Statement -