Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-26-2006, 12:07 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
RIP Robin Williams (8/11/14)
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

View Posts: 11,257
The Army is training early...on children

Back in the day, (sorry for the stereotypes) boys played with footballs & trucks and girls played with dolls & tea sets. Since video games came in, there have been many war-type games that look soo realistic that it sooner or later the gore doesn't effect the gamer that much. Everything from the way the blood spurts out to the building destruction and the weopons. Heck, there is actually a gaming convention where gaming companies and the U.S. Army collide so the army can show off their latest set of toys to make the games look up-to-date and even more real. Not only that, but the army is making video games themselves (I wish I could back that up with proof, but I can't find it right now) to attract gamers. Of course these games are rated M for mature, however, we all know that some parents just don't care.

I'm not here to really talk about video games (well partially since it does effect the mind), but talk about how the army is training early outside the fantasmal worlds of video games. Toys.

First it was BB Guns. Then those became too dangerous (and yet still used...), so they went to Water/Cap Guns. Some water/Cap guns have been banned looking too real, so onto Nerf Guns. If you to to the Nerf Website you'll see a commercial revieling kids that have infrared lights attached to their "gun" for better aim, shooting at eachother. The infrared isn't what worries me too much, it's the way they are acting with them (like an actual squad group).

Then you see this huge Sniper-like gun called the "N-Strike Longshot CS-6". Besides it's foamy bullets and colorful exterior, you load the barrel like a real sniper, you reload like a real sniper, you aim like a real sniper (with attachable scope), for all I see, that is a real sniper (sorry I don't know all the gun lingo, so I hope you see the commercial and know what I mean by "load" and "reload"). At first Nerf made balls, then foam dart guns (which were fine I guess), but now they are awefully real looking.

Now that's about guns, now how about cars/robots?

It's a known fact that robots are being used in the Army (it's no surprize). But now these little toys are also reaching home aswell. The only toys out there that I can really think of is Robo-Sapien and the Robereptile. They call on your comand (like a good robot should), and they learn. I just wanted to bring attention to them to bring up some ideas, but right now they don't seem to be linked all that much to the army...until you read about the next thing.

Like I said before, robots are being used in the Army. One of these robots has track tires (like a tank) a moveable arm and a camera to explore caves and even disarm bombs. I truely wish I could show you a picture of this toy (I saw it on "Regis and Kelly") but I can't seem to find one. What it is, it's a remote controlled robot with a camera on it's head. The kid wears a mask that covers one eye to see the recieving photage the camera is sending to it wirelessly.

Now I ask you all. Am I being a paranoid adult or do others agree that the army is slightly training future generations?

Mind you, the toy stereotypes still live on today: Girls with dolls, and boys with guns. Look at all of those Nerf Commercials, none of them have girls in them, nor do the colors are "feminine" (I'm not being sexist, I'm just observing). Is this the Army's way of trying to attract more males to the army than female? There's absolutely nothing wrong with girls in the army (more power to them), but the main focus of this discussion is this: Do you think games/toys are effecting kids to a more violent world?

-BGS

[ZeldaWiki][Forum Mods][Rules][ZUChat][Newbie Guide]
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"-Van Zant
Giving up means you're willing to live with how things are-BGS
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Fab Emblem
View Posts: 12,305
Re: The Army is training early...on children

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoronSword View Post
Now I ask you all. Am I being a paranoid adult or do others agree that the army is slightly training future generations?
-BGS
Well, you're right. Already as it is now, most people can own guns over there, and as I was told recently, show them (and perhaps even use them) on someone that enters their property.

I don't mean no offense, really, but the USA is full of guns, you're right. I think it's really silly. They're already loaded with guns, so they might as well further exaggerate the effect and include marksmanship training in school.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
sincerely.
Send a message via AIM to sahrrie Send a message via Skype™ to sahrrie
View Posts: 6,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Zelda4ever
Already as it is now, most people can own guns over there, and as I was told recently, show them (and perhaps even use them) on someone that enters their property.
In some areas of Texas, it is perfectly legal to shoot, and kill someone that steps onto your property.

Quote:
I don't mean no offense, really, but the USA is full of guns...
It's true. My dad owns a loaded shotgun that he keeps under his bed.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,456

I think you might be a bit paranoid, BGS, for the fact that these toys and games are far from being real weapons. Not to mention the environmental settings, though a mock-up trying to be like a battle field, is far from being a real battle field. In addition, the lack of training of which real soldiers will have to go through, the knowledge that real soldiers have to learn, and all the other aspects of modern combat that real soldiers have to adapt to, are non-existent in children's play.

Again, like I've said before - technology is netural. It only matters on how people use them. Little kids with robots, is perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with the robots. They are just there, waiting for people to command them (so far anyway).
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-26-2006, 01:28 PM
BigGoronSword BigGoronSword is a male Dominican Republic BigGoronSword is offline
Send a message via AIM to BigGoronSword Send a message via Yahoo to BigGoronSword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
I think you might be a bit paranoid, BGS, for the fact that these toys and games are far from being real weapons. Not to mention the environmental settings, though a mock-up trying to be like a battle field, is far from being a real battle field. In addition, the lack of training of which real soldiers will have to go through, the knowledge that real soldiers have to learn, and all the other aspects of modern combat that real soldiers have to adapt to, are non-existent in children's play.

Again, like I've said before - technology is netural. It only matters on how people use them. Little kids with robots, is perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with the robots. They are just there, waiting for people to command them (so far anyway).
I regret remarking about the robots (but not about that Camera/robot), but that Sniper Nerf Gun, I still stand on. True, child's play doesn't have modern combat exist in them, however the motions of using that Nerf gun is quite similar to the real deal.

-BGS

#6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Light Spirit

But the reality is that a foam dart is soft. It's colorful. It's designed not to be intimidating; unlike a bullet, that's cold, solid, with a pointed tip designed for easy penetration through flesh and bone structures. I seem Nerf no different than water guns where you have to pump them up first before shooting them.

Really, it's very different altogether. Implication? Perhaps. But certainly, these toys will not replace the reality of the world with fantasy. We'd all go through this phase where we've chased our friends with toy guns and all. And believe me, I have several toy guys that were modeled to be exactly the same as the real hand-held guns in real life. The only difference is that they load those firecracker pellets than bullets. But not once have I thought about military actions and things like that. Violent images? Perhaps. But all the movies and tv shows and games and even real life events broadcasted on the news project violent images.
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 06:16 AM
Tomerarenai Eraser Rain
View Posts: 1,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS
Not only that, but the army is making video games themselves (I wish I could back that up with proof, but I can't find it right now) to attract gamers.
America's Army Would this qualify as proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarian Wolf
But the reality is that a foam dart is soft. It's colorful. It's designed not to be intimidating; unlike a bullet, that's cold, solid, with a pointed tip designed for easy penetration through flesh and bone structures.
It makes no difference if they use a foam dart or a bullet if they learn how to work a sniper rifle in general.

Sig and Avy made by me
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Big Bro Davidia Big Bro Davidia is a male Nauru Big Bro Davidia is offline
Proudly logging ZERO mod actions since...too lazy to find out :0D

View Posts: 7,590

Let's just say that there ain't NO country gonna take over the U.S., government or NO government. We've assured a tough citizenry, and America is here to stay, no matter what anti-American terrorists are hoping for. We're like cockroaches--you can't kill us all!!

MOAhaha!!!!

I am teh BBDeh!
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Egh >.o
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarah
View Posts: 2,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Zelda4ever
I don't mean no offense, really, but the USA is full of guns, you're right. I think it's really silly. They're already loaded with guns, so they might as well further exaggerate the effect and include marksmanship training in school.
There are shootings where I live, California, and you can buy guns if you look in the right spots. And I remember hearing from my mom just the other day that a crazy teacher from somewhere wanted all US teachers to start carrying around hand guns at school, all day. How crazy it that?

So, yeah, I agree that the USA is full of guns. I know of some kids who go hunting and just shoot around for fun. It's ridiculous.

Half-assed art is flattering, no?
Adopt-apopped CrankyCarter and (maybe) Shaun xD when he confirms.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Must I question everything? Yes. Yes I must.
View Posts: 590

When I read the title, I thought along the lines of a modern version of Hitler Jugend. o.o

I just think that you're being paranoid, BGS. Does the military actually endorse these products?

We all can dream, non? =3
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Light Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZeroHyrule View Post
It makes no difference if they use a foam dart or a bullet if they learn how to work a sniper rifle in general.
It makes a lot of difference. The mechanics of sniper rifle in real life is vastly different than a toy gun.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkZeroHyrule View Post
America's Army Would this qualify as proof?
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to show you guys. Who knew the website would be so easy to find. Just type "americasarmy".

Quote:
That's exactly what I've been trying to say. I just didn't know I had to say it so bluntly (I thought everybody would be able to connect the dots themselves). Thank you for seeing eye-to-eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
I just think that you're being paranoid, BGS. Does the military actually endorse these products?
Endorse? Who knows. Maybe not the military, but the government. Just take a look at advertising for a different example for an old candy: Candy Cigarettes.

Candy Cigarettes (as tasteless and chalky as they may be) are targeted towards children. Of course they aren't advertised anymore (because of its connections towards the cigarette companies, but they're still sold), but when they were, they were aimed at children to eat and pretend to smoke, so when they become older, they'll have a higher chance of picking up the real bad habbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarian Wolf View Post
It makes a lot of difference. The mechanics of sniper rifle in real life is vastly different than a toy gun.
Have you seen the sniper-toy commercial I linked at the first post? If you haven't, click here. You can't tell me that the mechanics of that "N-Strike Longshot" gun isn't similar to an actual sniper riffle(sp?).

-BGS

#13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Light Spirit

1. In reality, shooting someone with a sniper rifle requires a two-people team. One for doing the wind calculation, the angle of the shot, etc etc etc, and one for waiting for the right moment to shoot; not to mention shooting a real sniper rifle requires delicate touch and skill. The experiences will be vastly different.

Quote:
When a sniper takes a shot, there are countless variables to consider before squeezing the trigger --- wind speed, wind direction, range, target movement, mirage, light source, temperature, barometric pressure, and that's just the beginning. The work that goes into getting a good position to take a shot is immense. That's why snipers always work in pairs.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sniper.htm
2. Though the mechanics may seem smiliar, this is still a toy gun. It does not require percision tuning of the weapon. You slapped on a scope, fine, I'll accept that, but the fine tuning of the rifle in all areas is completely neglected.

Again, the experiences are vastly different. That's the main point. The experience between shooting a toy gun in fantasy and shoot a real gun in real life. If you say that these toy guns are training children because they are shooting some foam darts at each other, then I'd say all movies and tv shows with real guns that have blanks as ammo, will be training kids on the proper usage of how to load a clip, cock the gun, and aim the gun, with near-real-life environment where enemies will hide, ambush, and shoot more realistically than what a few kids with toy guns will do. After all, they are like those teaching videos.

To me, the whole thing is not even worth the worry. It's like little kids playing cop and robbers and so on. Instead of blaming a few toy guns for the implication that they are training little kids, it'd be best to worry about how media covering world-wide violences of wars and bombings can affect younger generations.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Deku Scrub
View Posts: 22

Quote:
That 'game', America's Army, is, in truth, an educational tool that was designed to show people what the army is really like, unlike all the other games, which are hardly accurate.
It's actually just a recruiting tool. I played it for months, until I realized I live in Australia and couldn't really join the US Army, the urge was there though, built up over time by a carefully crafted brainwashing piece of software that one can obtain for free and that is of good quality for a free game.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 AM
the most random username EVER
Send a message via AIM to wwww9898 Send a message via Yahoo to wwww9898
View Posts: 541

i think you're beign a bit paranoid.

AMerica is full of guns. and ive shot guns since i was 12. ive played video games such as call of duty. ive had nerf wars and laser tag battles with my friends. ive even owned toy soldiers since i was 5. my desire to join the army is zero to none. nobody wants to put their neck on the line unless its necessary. the only people ive know whove joined the army/navy/marines did it for the money or b/c they were war junkies. the one war junky i know said he left after 3 or 4 years b/c it was too much stress putting his neck on the line.

and using a toy rifle is MUCH different from using a real one. a real sniper has to calculate distance, wind speed/direction, and a lot of other very miner stuff a kid would not be concentrating on. theres more math in being a professional sniper than there is killing.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-29-2006, 10:58 AM
10 years is here!!
View Posts: 12,328

You guys have to realize that the army is extremely strict with their choices of soldiers. They don't just accept anyone, and they especially don't choose you based on your enthusiasm. If you want to get in there, you have to be worthy. The simple truth is, they don't want to train guys that know nothing about combat or only a bit, they want men and women that already know a lot about what they're doing. If some little kid gets excited about joining the army from all of these toys, then he's going to need to train his entire life to get in, because otherwise he doesn't stand a chance. And how many kids are going to do that? Very few.
A high fantasy book that doesn't switch character perspective every chapter? That doesn't feature done-to-the-death Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, but brand new races? And is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda? You might want to check it out! Kindle version only $.99, print version OUT NOW

Tags
army, children, earlyon, training