Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

View Poll Results: Would you give your life for billions for people you do not know?
Yes it is my duty 43 38.05%
Maybe 26 23.01%
Hell no my life is way more important 19 16.81%
Not sure 31 27.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#61 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Kingslayer
View Posts: 27,729
Re: Would you sacrifice?

Well if we are talking about the pain now, I had my appendix taken out. It wasn't a very fun week. Neither was how I woke up after the operation. Its disturbing so don't read it unless you can take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiri
If all the lab need was a blood sample to save 6 billion people (exluding family and loved one) but if you give them the blood sample, you will have a minor pain in your arm.
would you do it?
If all they needed was a blood sample, of course. Blood samples don't kill and many people give their blood each day so others can use it. I'm grateful to these people, because my grandmother has Cancer. After he treatments she needs blood.

Ok I told you it would be gross and disturbing. Please, do not go further unless you can take sick stuff.

I woke up with a tube being pulled out of...my penis. I swear this is the worst pain I ever felt in my life.
  #62 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Mmmm, tasty!
View Posts: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiri View Post
Then kill your self. cause apperently your life means nothing to you or anyone.
So your life is worthless.
He would have already if he thought there was no hope. Don't be attacking his philosophy.

You too Chrono; how can you *assume* that any given person with a gun to their face would be expect to be saved? I know I wouldn't expect to be saved, I'd probably expect to die. "Not my problem" is a perfectly logical argument anyhow. Sure, I may not go by that, but I see the sense in it; I didn't sign any contracts or make any pacts. I'm not obligated to help anyone else, no one is.

Some people still will, some people won't. So don't be calling them "suicidal" or "retarded" because they see things differently than you. As for playing Zelda and Link being a hero and all, isn't it obvious? It's just a game. None of those people are real.

Sig is my own production.
<-- If you care about what I care about.
My BA alter-egos are Alamis Ammir and Faolan
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! How do I get across?" Nasrudin shouted back, "You are across!"
*Different all twisty a of in maze are you, passages little.
Last Edited by Popcorn; 10-05-2006 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Grammar Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaati View Post
If all they needed was a blood sample, of course. Blood samples don't kill and many people give their blood each day so others can use it. I'm grateful to these people, because my grandmother has Cancer. After he treatments she needs blood.

[/spoiler]

well blood tests are easy, I'm just fine with needels in my body (I have no idea why, all my uncles fainted after their blood tests.) so if it was a blood test I'de be willing too

and as for your little spoiler I'm so glad i dont have a weak stomache.

special thanks to LOZelda64 for making it for me
my sci-fi story, check it out and comment on it
  #64 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Narcissistic Misanthropist.
View Posts: 2,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Runner View Post
"Billions of lives arent so much", "Not my problem", "Im a selfish bastard and I know it" I dont know which quote is more ridiculous. Whatever, if you guys truly feel this way so be it. Take my word for it, if you had a gun to your face you would be expecting someone to save you! (Unless your suicidal or just plain retarded)
Take your word for it? Yeah, I should take your word for it. Considering you don't know me or anything about me. Just because you would expect someone to sacrifice their own life for you, doesn't mean everyone would expect it.
You're an idiot.
  #65 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Runner View Post
"Billions of lives arent so much", "Not my problem", "Im a selfish bastard and I know it" I dont know which quote is more ridiculous. Whatever, if you guys truly feel this way so be it. Take my word for it, if you had a gun to your face you would be expecting someone to save you! (Unless your suicidal or just plain retarded) But what gets me is....all of you are zelda fans! Link risks his life to save the people he doesnt know and you play his game. Why?
Wow, talk about lack of unbaised view here.

Your statement was already ridiculous at first, but it went off the chart when you compared situations that might happen in real life with a fantasy game.

You don't know me. I don't know you. I don't have the obligation to save anyone unless: a) I know that person WILL be saved successfully and b) if that person is someone that I know really closely or love.

Why should I even bother TRYING to save "billions of lives" for something that is not concrete and does not have a definite proof of success? You can go and waste your life like this, but I would like to hang onto my own life for now, thankyouverymuch.
  #66 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Get shredded or die mirin'
View Posts: 2,950

I voted *not sure* because i enjoy life, but it depends on who the people are and how there going to die.

SuperDecimal and Leminnes the mods that bullied my naive 13 year old self when I first joined, I will never forgive you.
  #67 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Kokiri
View Posts: 70

How can anyone know that until the actual decision arises?
  #68 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Get shredded or die mirin'
View Posts: 2,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterRahl View Post
How can anyone know that until the actual decision arises?
...0.o quite easy achually

eg: Terroist are about to blow up the whole world and everyone would die unless you die. i think the answer is obvious.

SuperDecimal and Leminnes the mods that bullied my naive 13 year old self when I first joined, I will never forgive you.
  #69 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Deku Scrub
Send a message via AIM to Sylenia_COD
View Posts: 22

Well, being a soldier I have a strong sense of duty. However, that is not the only reason i wud choose to give up my life for 6 billon people i didnt know to be saved. I'd do it because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, and let's face it, one person by themselves can't make a difference in anything, but this would give me a chance to do so, So i think, just for the sake of the hero in me. I would do it.

"Life isn't like video games. You can feel and breathe and think.
I say......screw that."
-Sylenia Child of Destiny-
On a side note: YUFFIE ROCKS YOUR SOCKS!!!
  #70 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 36

I would do it because in that billion... my friends and family are there so that's basically my reason. I'd do it because my family and friends and loved ones are involved and also everyone deserves a chance to live, to give one life up for the sake of many.. yes it is a tough decision but, sacrifices must be made.
  #71 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
SeriousDiscussion
View Posts: 24,034

With the arguable 'Universal' law of Utalitarianism, it is not only morally right to sacrifice yourself for the majority, but you are obliged to.

Act Utalitarianism dictates that any even that generates a positive reaction for the given majority is a morally good thing, as more pleasure has been derived from the act than duispleasure.

However, this also means that it is also wrong to sacrifice yourself to save billions.
For example, if you saved a billion people from a terrorist attack by sacrificing yourself, but there are a trillion people that would be disappointed and angry that the billion were not killed, you would be morally wrong to save the billion.
This is because more pleasure will be derived by the trillion, than the billion.
  #72 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 PM
You will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away
View Posts: 1,419

just have them knock me unconsious and pain wouldn't be an issue.

System: Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz// ASrock Pro4 // Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3-2133 // GTX 660Ti // Corsair 650Hx // Corsair H100 // Corsair Carbide 300r // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // WD Cavier 3TB HD
Our governments came up with a way to cause human extinction(nuclear missiles) well before they solved poverty.
  #73 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Gerudo Thief
View Posts: 142

If I was a world reknown Herpetlogist and helped saved many species form dying out, then yes. If anything else, HEYAL NO FOO.
  #74 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Divinity Rests in Places Unseen
Send a message via AIM to Umi Send a message via Skype™ to Umi
View Posts: 1,556

I would sacrafice myself to save even one person, so 6 billion does not make a difference. Not only would you have the self satisfaction of helping so many, but you would also be respected by each person you have saved, and probably many of thier decendants. Not that I would only do it for the glory, but helping so many is what I strive to do. And this kind of thing is done every day. Right now, soldiers are in Iraq, fighting for the lives of all of us, many of these soldiers we don't even knnow, and they don't know us.

#75 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Chemins de Souffrance
Send a message via AIM to CrushedHope
View Posts: 1,221

I really do think, that this would seriously test my moral conviction to try and help others before myself. While I have my desire to live, I have the weight of knowing that my death helps ensure the survival of six billion others.

It also ensures that the ones I love, my family, my friends, my girlfriend would live on. For them, I must say I would die for them. I don't care about the rest of the world as much honestly, I would die to let them live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadow7489 View Post
I've been on the exact same thread in Serious Business I think you should deleat this thread because you might get in trouble with one of the Mods
This post really isn't needed, and is off topic. This thread has been going on long enough for if the mods wanted to delete it for whatever reason it would have been by now.

Thanks to Veritas for the signature!
  #76 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Princess of Twilight
View Posts: 312

I'm not sure. Most people I know that say they would wouldn't. They just say it for saying it.

Hey guys, these are my songs, check them out please http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/...srion-2-a.html
  #77 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Stressed up a bit!*
View Posts: 239
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
...0.o quite easy achually

eg: Terroist are about to blow up the whole world and everyone would die unless you die. i think the answer is obvious.

Yes, the answer is pretty obvious in fact; CABOOM!! good bye cruel world.
--{My friends:Chrono Runner/Master of ALttP/SparkzaBme/Dark Chii/linkkid647/Eragon1215}--
--{My favorite music...}--
--{My favourite kind of thing...}--
  #78 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Anouki
View Posts: 52

I was disgusted at myself when i quickly went for the 'Hell no' option.
But i was just being honest i guess...
  #79 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
♥ ♥
Send a message via AIM to Nucco
View Posts: 1,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple Guru View Post
I was disgusted at myself when i quickly went for the 'Hell no' option.
But i was just being honest i guess...
You should be...
How can you compare your one life to that of thousands of lives?

-NC
  #80 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 10-28-2006, 12:06 AM
UneBelleLilas UneBelleLilas is a female United States UneBelleLilas is offline
There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy!
View Posts: 821

I don't mean to sound rude, but I honestly can't/don't understand how someone could say that they choose their life over the entire world.

So... basically, you'd be happier being the only person alive than being (depending on belief) in heaven, nirvana, non-existant, etc? Even if I didn't believe in an afterlife, I'd choose not to exist over being alone... or having to do something gross to jumpstart evolution for homosapians.*

But that's just me. I'll push the self-destruct button for the world. Call me a martyr of the human species or call me macho. Schmeh, I don't care. ;]

*Yuck, I know. Sorry.

I'm in the house.

Tags
sacrifice