Calendar Awards Members List FAQ
Advertisement

Reply Thread is Locked!
This thread is currently closed from further posting.
Closed Thread
$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Flames of Valor Flames of Valor is a male United States Flames of Valor is offline
Sapere aude
View Posts: 5,312
Who would win: a samurai or a knight in shining armor?

Well before you lock this read it i think this will be more fun than the likely boss vs thread. Anyway who would win a knite in armor or a samurai? Now judgeing that the samurai sword cant peirce metal...(which it probly cant... ) the knite would win probly...Now judgeing the samurai sword can hell probly win faster...you know. Well if there r any more factor include them in your responc as i am curious to find out who you think would win. Personally.... I think the knite in shining armor.Because he has armor duuuh plus a longer sword. So post away!!

~HD~
<<8
####&&&&`( <<<<

Edit ok due to the fact of people requesting details here they are the knite...:platebody armor sheild platelegs ful helm and is mounted starts with a lance a mace and long sword details of each armor is top quality for its time valinent horse (big strong)

samurai typical samurai armor you know the light kind katana bow and horse watever kind they ride i dunno and the famous well kinda...naganata

so now there are the details happy?!
Last Edited by Flames of Valor; 07-18-2005 at 11:14 AM. Reason:
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 05:38 PM
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!
Send a message via AIM to Safer
View Posts: 3,825
Re: Who would win: a samurai or a knight in shining armor?

The Samurai would win. Not weighed down by heavy armor, the samurai could obviously move quickly. And since katanas are so short, and Samurai train intensivley in close centered combat, the samurai could easily slip the katana through the gap between the Knight's helm and platebody, decapitating him before the knight could react..

'Nuff said.

“There are two types of statistics in the world: Lies, and damn lies.” ~Mark Twain
Simply kickass sig by uǝzoɹɟ.
UPA Chief. Have a puppy, too.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Most interesting man in the world
View Posts: 1,780

Yeah, definetly the smaurai, for all the reasons posted above and the fact that they train alot more intensively than a knight, plus it is true that the Katana, if made properly can cut through metal. I've seen before on a documentary on the History Channel, a dude with a katana cut a basic european sword in half. So definetly the samurai, the fight would be over in a second.

sig by Zorathan
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Flames of Valor Flames of Valor is a male United States Flames of Valor is offline
Sapere aude

now now before you get to caught up in your thoughts if i said that right....rotfl. We must take into acount both sides strengths and weaknesses.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Frost Guardian
View Posts: 3,083

I can't really find a base for this kind of argument, since this type of combat is kind of unseen and somewhat impossible to carry a opinion on. There needs to more factors than this kind of vauge setting.
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 06:34 PM
PReSEnT DaY... PReSEnT TImE! HAhAHahAha!
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 21,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Guardian
I can't really find a base for this kind of argument, since this type of combat is kind of unseen and somewhat impossible to carry a opinion on. There needs to more factors than this kind of vague setting.
Agreed. This kind of question is silly, it's like asking: "Which would win? a catapult or a killer whale?" What many people don't seem to realise about fighting and combat is that what weapons you use and how you use them are based on what weapons your opponents use and how they use them. Knights and Samurai were trained in different ways because they fought different opponents. Also, Samurai are not uber soldiers, remember, the term samurai mostly refers to any basic soldier, you can have spear samurai, sword samurai, samurai archers, horseback samurai etc. Knights are a bit better defined, but at the same time, are they mounted? What weapons do they use? What part of their era are they from (IE, would Knights be allowed to use firearms? Would Samurai?) etc. All in all it's a silly and pointless question.
Finally, I see a lot of people mentioning how a Samurai would be faster and so win, I doubt that speed would really matter. Samurai armour is designed to give minimal protection in exchange for the ability to ride a horse and be flexible (So that you can use a bow and arrow), and Samurai were trained on how to kill other lightly-armoured foes, no matter how good your sword is I refuse to believe that it can get through metal that can stand up to a bullet in one hit (Midevil armour would be tested by having the armour smith shoot it with a pistol at close to point-blank range, now mind you, this was later on in midevil times, but all the same.). Now, that's not to say that the knight would win, again, is he mounted etc. But also he would move slower then the samurai etc.
So, as I said above, you may as well be asking which would win: A catapult or a killer whale, your answers for that are about as accurate as any you can give for this question.

Edit: I didn't read the idea that the Samurai would find a hole/gap in the armour and use it, that may be, but you try to strike the weak spot in the armour of a guy who's swinging a sword in your face, or shooting at you, or riding a horse, no easy.
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Sapere aude

ok the details are in they are not that clear but live with it!!
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Guardian Dragon
Send a message via AIM to Lanayru_ Send a message via Yahoo to Lanayru_
View Posts: 2,088

Topics like these are dumb and pointless, at least to me, but fine, I'll go along with it.

The samurai would definitely win, because he has been trained by Japanese people, and we all know Asian people are the best at martial arts.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Sapere aude

God!!! can we go one freaking topic like this without someone saying *does anoying mimic tone* these threads are pointless blah blah blah blaaahhh!!! I dont give jack **** on that so stop!!!!! oh and thanks for your opinion on the knite thing.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 07:20 PM
View Posts: n/a
Talking Samurai!!

Yes but the way of the samurai is not about hand to hand combat its about sword skillz i agree the samurai would kick ass!! they actually can cut through steel so u have your answer!! Der
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 07:33 PM
10 years is here!!
View Posts: 12,154

You people who are big fans of anything Japanese don't know a thing about the weaknesses of samurai and the strengths of European Knights do you?
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Elite Magus Fanboy
View Posts: 895

Knight would win. Hands down.
Now if Magus was fighting them both they'd die before they could even lift their weapons.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to KaeporaTheGreat
View Posts: 36

The Knight would win easily. One swipe of the sword. While reading this I kept thinking about the Knights in the Holy Grail, swinging their over-heavy swords around hilariously; and laughing about it. Of course real Knights could actually control those huge swords, and that's why they'd win.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 08:07 PM
the WORLD.
Send a message via AIM to Big One Send a message via Yahoo to Big One
View Posts: 6,119

Well it depends who is more skilled.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 08:13 PM
PReSEnT DaY... PReSEnT TImE! HAhAHahAha!
Send a message via Skype™ to John
View Posts: 21,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeternus_aura
Topics like these are dumb and pointless, at least to me, but fine, I'll go along with it.

The samurai would definitely win, because he has been trained by Japanese people, and we all know Asian people are the best at martial arts.
Heh, another small point here, Midevil fighting is also a 'Martial art', so once again you can't say

Quote:
ok the details are in they are not that clear but live with it!!
You wanted to know what factors would affect it and I presume want an well thought-out reply taking those factors into account. Anyways, they are both on horseback, the knight in full armour, the Samurai in light armour with a bow and a sword as backup. Hard to say, there are just so many factors, it does now look better for the knight, but how fast is his horse? Can the Samurai's horse outrun it? are they in an arena or an open field?

I appologise for being so nit-picky but all these things affect the battle, heck, the temperature would play a huge role in the outcome as the Knight in full armour would tire far more quickly then the Samurai. etc. etc. etc. As I said before, it is impossible to compare them.

Once again: Samurai were not ultimate warriors capable of killing armies by thinking about it, if you get your info about Samurai from Samurai Jack (Which,a admittedly, was a great show) then please don't post. By that same token Knights are not as strong as legends claim they are, neither is a s strong as you probably think it is.

Also, as I said above and lest anyone forget, their fighting styles were different, Samurai were light, light soldiers, light cavalry etc. Knights were heavy, heavy infantry, heavy cavalry etc. It's Apples and Oranges. It does not matter which fighting style was weak to what, as their strategy would've adapted, if it didn't then they would lose, doubtlessly.
I appologise for the near-rantingness of this post, but these sorts of topics just seem to annoy me, I honestly feel that it's about as useful as saying "Which is better? Apples or Oranges?"
"You must be, or you wouldn't have come here."

Public Key ID: 057420A1
Last Edited by John; 07-15-2005 at 08:36 PM. Reason:
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 08:18 PM
And BOOM! goes the dynamite.
View Posts: 656

Okay I can play it out now.

The knight looked in to the face of his opponent he was not fearful. This man was just gaurded by robes. He would certainly win. He began to try to run. He went about the speed of his walk. Than he swiftly raised his sword and inaacuratly brought it down. He missed and felt a sharp pain in the back of his neck. He could not move. Than he felt air on his head. His helm was off! His armor was keeping im standing. Than he felt the flesh on his neck. Than The bone and finally his armor collapsed and he was on the ground starng at his feet. He heard a blade being sheathed than nothing blackness.

Bassicly (sp?) he swung and his armor made him come down too fast and it wobbled off course. Than He got his spine split in half. Than he got his head cut off and was on ther ground for five seconds. Now he is dead and his family greiving.

______Thank you Emily, for the birthday card!______
[Racht][Gray] [Myles]
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirren

You people who are big fans of anything Japanese don't know a thing about the weaknesses of samurai and the strengths of European Knights do you?
I whole heartedly agree. You see loads of anime characterizing samurais as invincible demons from hell that can cleave a skyscraper(exaggeration but nevertheless) with a katana. Who is to say that all samurai fit that kind of description? They were well trained yes(possibly in a more disciplined manner than knights), but they were not superhuman beings that could withstand everything that could single handedly take down an entire civlization and whatnot. You really can't set up two people of two entire worlds and then simply underestimate their strengths and sulk on about their weaknesses.

In any case, Samurai Champloo is still a cool show. But regardless, I don't like putting assumptions from exaggerated anime(even the disclaimer in the beggining of the show discourages it) into my life.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to AznDragen52
View Posts: 147

Samurai are said to have compleate mobility due to there cheap yet nice looking robes , kimonos lol no jkling , they and knights were in 2 differnt places and 2 differnt times , so u cant say this
Would Ceaser kill Hitler??????????
Knights make up with there Strong muscles due to there heavey asse armor , i read in a book taht it was like 60 pounds for the Platemail , holy **************
LEts exagur--er lets imagine the rest like the legs are 40 and helm 10 then on top of taht that Bigasse sword they fling around , 110 on ur body and this ,..this .. jiganormous knife, and thne ur fighting and stupid King Aurther wants u know to go walk around looking for this friggen piece of Metal!!

This Amazne Sig was made at Oni Link108's and Another Linkfan's Animated Sig/Avy Shop!!, by Another_Linkfan
Currently Waiting on another Amazne cretion of their shop, Me Avy.
  #19 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Sage of Wisdom

Please. The post wasn't easy on the eyes.

As far as anything is concerned, they can be considered in the same time era and somewhat similar technology(more or less on the same level unless you get too close to the 1300s). And I would guess knights were trained to carry equipment. Does anybody have an idea of the stuff that army guys carry? Quite heavy stuff(well, maybe not heavy but not comfortable either), but they're trained for it.
  #20 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 07-15-2005, 09:14 PM
goes to the mayor
View Posts: 5,441

This is basically a discussion of eastern and western culture. well, I live in the west, so Knights I suppose.
98% of the teen population is cool, 2% aren't
Closed Thread

Tags
armor, knight, samurai, shining, win