Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2003, 01:00 PM
has Boardwalk and Parkplace, sucka.
Send a message via AIM to jonboyshewell
View Posts: 715
The virus may still be on your computer!!

A message sent out by comcast today reads:

Quote:
Have you taken the necessary steps to help ensure that your computer is clean and protected from the second phase of the MSBlast.exe virus or LovSan Web Worm? If not, we recommend that you immediately follow our suggested steps below.

The MSBlast.exe virus or LovSan Web Worm may enter your computer through a vulnerability in your computer's Microsoft Windows®-based operating system. According to current reports, this virus or worm is designed to cause computers to launch an electronic attack against Microsoft's Windows® help web site on August 16, 2003.

If you are using one of the following Microsoft Operating Systems, we recommend that you follow the instructions below to remove or safeguard your computer from the MSBlast.exe virus or LovSan Web Worm. Even if your computer isn't affected now, it could be in the future.

Microsoft Windows® NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows® NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition
Microsoft Windows® 2000
Microsoft Windows® XP
Microsoft Windows® Server 2003

Please take the time to print out follow the steps outlined below to help ensure that your computer is safe and clear of the MSBlast.exe virus or LovSan Web Worm. (This and other related information can also be found on our web site at http://www.comcast.net.)

Close all open programs and press and hold down the following keys simultaneously: Ctrl (Control), Alt and Delete
Click the Task Manager button
Select the Processes tab

Click the Image Name column to sort the list in alphabetical order

Select the msblast.exe file by clicking on it once. Then, click the End Process button. If you do not see msblast.exe in the list of running tasks, please proceed to Step 6 as you should still check your system for the Worm and apply the Microsoft patch. (Some operating systems require that you log in as Owner/Administrator in order to install this patch)

Now you can close the Windows® Task Manager screen by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.
Next, determine which operating system you are using. Since Microsoft has different patches to protect each operating system, you will need to know which operating system you have on your computer.
Click on the Start button, go up to Run. Type winver and press the Enter key. The window displayed will indicate which operating system is being used (Windows(r) 2000, Windows(r) XP, etc.)
Once you have determined your operating system, go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp and click on the link for your operating system.

Click Download on the right side of the page.

Choose Run or Open from this location.

Confirm security warning pop-up by clicking Yes.
Follow pop-up instructions.
Once your computer has finished go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com.../FixBlast.exe, when prompted click Open.
When it has finished, you will have successfully checked your system for the MSBlast Worm and installed the patch.
Please note: If done incorrectly, some of the steps in this FAQ can cause problems with your Operating System. You should carefully review all terms, policies, and instructions on any of the websites that you visit while following these steps. Please note that while Comcast is providing this information to help you remove the MSBlast.exe virus and LovSan Web Worm, Comcast is not responsible for any damage done to your computer from any source to remove this worm.
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Goron
View Posts: 308
Re: The virus may still be on your computer!!

Thankfully so far the Windows version (Windows Millennium Edition) on my computer hasn't been affected.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2003, 01:37 PM

Yeah, you are pretty lucky. I hated when I had ME, but I hate XP because of all the mandatory updates. I can't believe they both annoy me this much. Next time I'm going for the MAC.
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Drew Chapman
Send a message via AIM to Droshi Send a message via Yahoo to Droshi
View Posts: 482

Golden, I guess the hacker just figured that Windows ME users had suffered enough already, so he'd spare them.

I hate ME. We recently switched to XP, and I love it. But you should love ME right now, you're about the only one without the worm.

But, I think the virus is gone on my computer, luckily.
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Gerudo Thief
Send a message via AIM to allistair
View Posts: 58

what's wrong with ME anyway? i've heard quite often that it sucks but i've got it and it doesn't give me any problems...well maybe every once and a while. But i used to use 95 and ME is quite a good improvement compared to that
<Li>My #1 result for the SelectSmart.com selector, <a href="http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=polphil"><B>European Political Ideologies</A></B>, is <I>You adhere to the Third Way. The Third Way is a fairly nebulous concept, but it rests on the idea of combining economic efficiency - i.e. a market economy with some intervention - with social responsibility. The focus is emphatically on the community as a whole, and not necessarily equality per se. Adherents of the Third Way range from moderate to conservative in their social views, and have recently been willing to take a "tough" line on a range of social issues.</I><P>
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2003, 08:22 PM
turtles like strawberry
Send a message via ICQ to Asci Send a message via AIM to Asci Send a message via Yahoo to Asci Send a message via Skype™ to Asci

View Posts: 9,465

But, what Windows system doesn't give you problems?

HELLO IM A TURTLS
join official zu chatroom if you're not dumb okay bye
http://www.twigathy.com/cgi-bin/cgiirc/irc.cgi
if you miss me that badly then follow me on twitter
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Goron
Send a message via ICQ to rlc551 Send a message via AIM to rlc551
View Posts: 122

i got a new computer with xp on it just about a week ago... it hasn't given me any problems, so i'm happy. i think i might have had a bit of the virus, cuz it shut down one time, but it hasn't done anything else, so i think it's fine.
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2003, 01:00 AM
2 Years
Send a message via AIM to Jace
View Posts: 1,085

Ergh, i hate viruses........the idea that somthing is in my computer, that goes for hackers as well, kinda freaky..........0_o

"Hard work pays off tommorow, laziness pays off today."
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2003, 01:20 AM

Yeah Ascius, I don't think that's possible to not get some error on Windows. Macs rule all! Too bad I don't have one :-\.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 08-17-2003, 01:26 AM
I have no idea.
View Posts: 4,183

I doubt anyone here uses NT, since it mostly used for businesses and networking. I myself trust one of the older MS OS', I have yet to have any problems with it. my dad told me to run Xp on my computer a while back, but I didnt like the idea.....lucky me I guess. I wish I had a Mac too, but I doubt me or my family could afford a new PC right now.
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-13-2003, 06:13 PM
...and the monkeys rejoiced
Send a message via AIM to TachyonDX
View Posts: 409

Quote:
Originally posted by jonboyshewell
Yeah, you are pretty lucky. I hated when I had ME, but I hate XP because of all the mandatory updates. I can't believe they both annoy me this much. Next time I'm going for the MAC.
theyre not mandatory, in fact i havent updated my xp in about 2 weeks and before that 3 months. The reason there arent mac based worms and viruses are because hackers dont bother making them.

Anyway enough about that, i nipped msblast in the bud when i first found out i had it a while ago.
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Zora Warrior
Send a message via AIM to JetFox
View Posts: 384

umm, this kinda need to be locked, i don't know why you revived it. the last post was august 17th, and the virus is gone. congrats, this should be locked.
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 09-13-2003, 06:29 PM
...and the monkeys rejoiced
Send a message via AIM to TachyonDX
View Posts: 409

now that i look at it i cant tell either..... i could have sworn this was front page..... yes i definitely did not remember how this went up....hmm oh well ******** happens

Tags
computer, virus