Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#21 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Big Damn Hero
Send a message via Skype™ to Galedeep
View Posts: 13,253
Re: High School

You think that last year of middle school is hard? Wait til the last year of high school dude.

A lot of people say that high school is the best years of your life. Even more (mostly high school students) say thats bull. I have to disagree. I'm just about halfway through my last year in high school, and can honestly say that it has been the best four years that I've been in. Sure the school and work part sucks, but the friendships you make, the experiances you have...it's fun as long as you make it fun.

As for the girlfriend business...if it was just a matter of being at different schools I wouldn't worry about it. There are kids at my school who are still going out with their girlfriends from grade 7. But if the parental units are jerks, then it may be slightly more difficult. My advice to you: Enjoy the experiance, ***** about the work, enjoy the friendships, both new and old, and ***** about the teachers.
  #22 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Balthazar Send a message via Yahoo to Balthazar
View Posts: 148

Wow, I wasn't aware that so many people here at ZU were middle schoolers...

At any rate, I would just like to say that in high school, relationships STILL won't be all that serious, and that its alot more stressful than middle school IF you make it out to be that way (I do, unfortunately)

I'm an 11th grader, and at my school Junior year is the hardest, and boy am I feeling it...

Anyway, my advice is to suck up from teachers you want to like you and the ones that just don't like you at all, well, don't take any of the stuff they throw at you.

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
[Sig by me, visit my shop][Unadopted][Proud to know that God is dead]
  #23 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-08-2005, 07:44 PM
We sell for millions
Send a message via AIM to Sage of Ice
View Posts: 1,577

I thought the huge group of middle schoolers was last year.
I say it's not that huge of a deal. It's really rather overrated. You'll do fine, as long as you're not a total jerk to people. Otherwise, it'll be harder. So yeah, don't worry, and enjoy these last months in 8th grade with your friends.

Glorious sig/avy done by Ghetto Thuggin. Visit his shop.....or else.....
Current Adoptees: wolfwarrior55, Krajhi Vril
All Grown Up: princess_zelda, CrushedHope
< Proud Christian
www.xanga.com/UNKEWLIOSO <My Xanga. Check it out
  #24 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar
Wow, I wasn't aware that so many people here at ZU were middle schoolers...
Most of the ZU demographic is anywhere from 13-18... mostly young people

Anyway, I never wanted to leave High School. if you get involved with the right groups and people, you can have a lot of fun. And it was the first place where I was finally accepted. I am very anti-social because of my early childhood.

And I know you're situation. I had a gf who was 2 hours from me (driving) so it was a hard situation. We dealt with it, the time we were together, and we stuck by it. You just need to find some way to spend time with her. But most importantly, keep in touch with her. I am pretty sure with the technology nowadays she has either a phone or a compy.

Meh
  #25 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Royal Hylian
View Posts: 980

ugh yes... I remember this as I just went through it, and I gotta tell you. You need connections in High School, try and become friends with a Senior (err... someone who is about to graduate after the current year of school) and if not them try and get in with the Juniors (err... two years till they graduate) or at least a Sophmore (three years). Just make sure that you have connections, it goes a long way to not being ignored in High school. I myself have connections with 5 seniors, a junior, and four sophmores. trust me you want connections.

besides that just have fun in High school otherwise you'll be too tense and annoying to even talk to.
  #26 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Razorblade Salvation.
Send a message via AIM to The Four Sword
View Posts: 2,334

Eh.. Imack Im sort of the opposite of you. I to am 13yrs. old and start my first year of high school next year. But I always like to meet new people, just to know what they are like. Except that some of my friends are going to different high schools while my other friends are going to the same high school as me.Even though I won't know alot of people there its always good to make new friends, so just try and have some fun with it.

-TFS
  #27 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Knight of Skyloft
Send a message via AIM to Ganondorf
View Posts: 890

High school isn't all that bad, dude. I agree with most here, just have fun with it. in fact, some of your years can be the best there.

Awesome sig and clan banner made by Necco 20!
My MySpace
  #28 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Nighthawk549
View Posts: 265

About sucking up to teachers: don't overdo it. It's good to like, answer questions a lot in class and do extra credit when it's available, but just don't be a total teacher's pet. They know when you're just plain sucking up, and it annoys them. I have this one teacher who, whenever someone does something to obviously suck up to her, says "Suck-up!" real loud. It's pretty great.
  #29 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Classic Old School Action
Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzie
View Posts: 9,461

I never really "Sucked up" I just always talked to my teachers. All the teachers I liked, I would always visit and they are all very nice people. I still go back to visit my fave math teacher and newspaper advisor. Ah, newspaper, how I loved that organization. On time every week since 1979. 25 years of flawless execution, why wouldn't you like that organization.
  #30 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 02:05 AM
X-ELINK!!111!!!
View Posts: 2,505

High school can be great as long as you get on the good side of the upperclassmen and don't slack of TOO much. I, a sophomore, have made more friends this last year than I did in all of midleschool, everyone knows me, I have people yelling high to me in the halls and in the commons that I do not know.

Raumn you should be fine just don't act too much like a stupid freshman and be somewhat humble because as a freshman, although you will have a lot of fun, are technically dirt on the social system(not that that matters too much to most people as long as you don't act like an idiot) other than that everything is chill. You should enjoy yourself alot, I did my freshman year.

also, try to stay out of trouble, if you know someone parties alot, don't let them give you anything to drink, my friend marcus did this once to me in chemistry and it was spiked, crazy marcus...

Play with fire and get burned:
|X| |X|

Call me a "fool"
  #31 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Kyle

View Posts: 1,015

Aww how cute the little ones will be freshmen! High School has been pretty cool for me so far [Im a Sophmore, or in 10th grade, or in year 2 of high school, which every you prefer], well not really for some of it, but deffanatly a lot more exciting.. freshman year was hell for me [not because of the actual school] and I had to see shrinks and go through an ass load of therapy that was completely unnessicary.. Then Sophmore year started and I had the girl I had been chasing for a year and it was awesome and everything was cool.. that lasted about a week.. girlfriend neglected me and we ended up breaking up.. then I went out with this other girl and she broke up with me for her ex boyfriend and then the girl from the beginning of the year [who i still loved] wanted me back and she and I ended up getting back together.. and I am happy and yay! now the shrinkness did suck, but at least life wasnt boring.. back in middle school it seemed like everything was pointless and my biggest worry was.. wait there was nothing to worry about for me! it was sooo boring! But yeah, my high school years have deffanatly been my best!

"Your sig... flashes... too much O_o..."
"Sometimes, girls need to be told to be to keep in place. So whenever your arm candy starts to speak without being spoken to, I'd suggest you smack her, and/or verbally abuse her. It's the way Jesus would do things. And I follow Jesus. So, don't be sacreligious, and be sure to hit them whenever you see necessary."
  #32 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 02:46 AM
goes to the mayor
View Posts: 5,441

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Mack
Well, as most of you know, there comes a time in everyone's life where we must move on, and accept change. Well for me, change isn't too far ahead. Next year I start my first year of High School, and honestly, I'm pretty scared. Because all my friends are going to different schools, meaning I will know absolutely no one at my new school. I'm very comfortable at my school, I know like, all the kids, all the teachers, and I'm relatively cool, not popular, but cool. And I won't have that when I go to High School.

But that's not my big problem. My big problem is my girlfriend. Now, first off: I know I'm thirteen and too young for love and all that but whatever I feel for this girl, it is strong. And because of that: this is going to suck. She's going to a different High School, which isn't that far, but still I won't get to see her 5 days out of the week, I'll probably see her once in a blue moon. Her parents are pretty strict and, although they never met me, they already don't like me. So like, they probably won't allow her to come over and see my very often at all. And I guess, I'm just really going to miss her.

Overall: I fear change, I don't want things to change, I don't want to go somewhere where I know no one, and where my girlfriend isn't. And I just wanted to know what you guys thought, like suggestions to make it suck less or just comments, or whatever. Thanks ahead o' time.
-I Mack
ayee raunm, dont worry about it.
I was in the EXACT same situation, minus the gf part ;D
How do you cope with knowing no-one?, its easy, become outgoing and talkative, not to the point of being annoying, but make sure youre heard.
Youve got a trendy hat, people will probably be inquisitive about it, so make sure to wear it alot.
First impressions are important in a highschool environment, so make it count dude.

As far as the gf goes, so what if you cant see her 5 days a week, there are still weekends. Thats when I see my gf, to tell you the truth, its really not that bad at all, because its easy for people to become bored of eachother.
Oh, and, if you have a gf and have never met her parents before hand, MEET THEM!, I cant stress this enough, once her parents know you are responsible and have good intentions, they'll be more leinient toward letting her go out with you.
I take it you cant drive since your a freshmen, so meet her parents, look good, and in the future, perhaps they will drive you and your gf places.
Take my advice dude, I've been where you are, many times.
98% of the teen population is cool, 2% aren't
  #33 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Kenzymandias Kenzymandias is a male United States Kenzymandias is offline
I met a traveler from an antique land...

View Posts: 8,021

...Soulpwner, you have an interesting love life :confused:. But yeah, I guess it'll be ok, it's just weird foe me because I have always gone to a new school with a friend standing beside me, and this time there'll be no one there. But it should be ok I guess, al long as I don't have a Soulpwner Freshmen year, that'd be scary.

Done.

EDITFULNESS:
Yeah, I guess meeting their parents would be a good idea. My mom and my girlfriend have talked a few times [my girlfriend TA's my bro's class, and my mom came in a few time to assist the teacher in teaching, since they were doing scrapbooking.] and my mom seems to like her. But yeah, I suppose me and me lovely hat could make a few good impressions.

now I am done.
  #34 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Goron
Send a message via AIM to Balthazar Send a message via Yahoo to Balthazar
View Posts: 148

I must say, high school is MUCH more accepting in terms of the students.

But all of the teachers expect that you are a perfect little kid with perfect little parents and pets and a perfect little average and GRR

This year so far, I've said "I'll kill you" to one teacher, and told another that her God is dead. This is just how angry they make me. I mean, the subjects in high school are more interesting, but the teachers are horrible. I must say, most of the ones at my school need to just age a little faster. However, many teachers are retiring (the baby boomer ones) and many new ones are coming in, and most of the newer ones are fresher, hipper, etc.

And with the recent advent of the PC, alot of older teachers are having to adjust to things like calculators instead of slide rules. Sad, huh?

And yes, Soulpwner may be adopted by Necco20, but I swear, his love life maintenance is a @#$% and a half. At least right now he's at a steady point. Speaking of which, if you want a relationship in high school, just know that it will end before you graduate, and you have to be pretty lucky to go with your girlfriend to the same college, otherwise the relationship is essentially GUARANTEED to end. And a good 50% of relationships in high school are romance-free, and purely physical. Which is why I have submitted to the majority and decided that since no woman can commit around here, I'd be better off with just a f@#k-bunny.

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
[Sig by me, visit my shop][Unadopted][Proud to know that God is dead]
  #35 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Anime_Queen Anime_Queen is a female United Kingdom Anime_Queen is offline
Light Spirit
View Posts: 8,217

here's a wee tip for the future Raunmy ( I know you might be sick of advice at this stage but what the heck, one more won't kill no? :3 )
NEVer fear change. Always look on it as a positive thing. I was so happy and excited to move away completely from Scotland to england and into college. Change pursues you after that when you take the extra step and leap into university ( .. or college as you guys call it) so, better take a positive stance on the whole thing from the beginning. That'll save you many similar contemplations like this in the future.

And remember, whatever you do and wherever you go just be your best and have fun! Hope all works out *hands Raunm and honourary muffin*
  #36 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Goron
View Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk549
About sucking up to teachers: don't overdo it. It's good to like, answer questions a lot in class and do extra credit when it's available, but just don't be a total teacher's pet. They know when you're just plain sucking up, and it annoys them. I have this one teacher who, whenever someone does something to obviously suck up to her, says "Suck-up!" real loud. It's pretty great.

Yea, About sucking up, I generally dont do it. Like this guys teacher, most will feel you're insulting their intelligence by sucking up and will make a fool of you. Generally speaking though, I think high school teachers are a hell of a lot cooler than middle school teachers, probably because you're more on their level, and they respect you more. But seriously, dont overtly suck up. Be sneaky about it. (A candy apple to the assistant principle can work wonders)

Also, dont worry about being popular in high school. It will quickly become apparrent to you that popularity is a joke when you get older. I went from being a complete "loser and dork" in middle school, and now I'm nominated for prom king (though thats just another bs popularity poll). The point is, if your middle school experience was bad, dont let it discourage you into going into hs with a bad attitude, and if your experience was good, accept that things change, and will change for the better if you allow them to.
I reserve the right to sound like an idiot.
REALULTIMATEPOWER
Property of the Din Clan.
  #37 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Light Spirit
View Posts: 6,455

Trust me, high school will be a blast of your lifetime. Compared to colleges or universities, if you think high school is hard or insane, or just plain nasty, you'll cry your lungs out when you graduate from high school and enroll into post-secondary.

Treasure the time that you have right now, because there's no going back when you graduated from high school.
  #38 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Kenzymandias Kenzymandias is a male United States Kenzymandias is offline
I met a traveler from an antique land...

View Posts: 8,021

Balthazar: You were doing good on your first sentence, everything after that didn't really help at all. Might of even made me worse.

Anime_Queen: Yeah, I should be happy about it, it's just sorta weird since I've had the same kids in my class since way back in Kindergarten. [well, most of the same kids].

Da Big D: Popularity is not what I want, that's not an issue for me. I'd just much rather know a few people so it feels less..awkward and stuff. And I don't plan on sucking up to teachers, I'm more of the opposite of a suck up. On my assignments, I draw lil' people saying sarcastic mean things about the assignment, for instance: I was told to do an assignment writing about what I learned from reading this oh so stupid book, and I did the assignment, but on the side I drew a lil version o' me saying: "I learned death ain't as bad as some make it out to be." Implying I'd rather be dead than read a stupid arse book.

Stormcat: Yeah, I guess if I make some friends and stuff it'll be cool, I'll just sorta miss hanging with me old pals, but I'm pretty sure I'll make new ones.

Thanks for all the comments and help.
  #39 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Scaly Pirate
View Posts: 107

I say you join some school-run group. You can meet some people and maybe make some friends.
  #40 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 01-12-2005, 03:54 PM
the most random username EVER
Send a message via AIM to wwww9898 Send a message via Yahoo to wwww9898
View Posts: 541

I go to an all boys school (no i am not gay) and its not that bad, besides the fact there are no girls. The schools great, theres a paintball club (we get to shoot the geometry teacher). The teachers are funny (and some of the jokes get a bit dirty). Its a great school besides that there's no girls. But luckily there's dances with the all girls schools.
And watch out for the seneors. Tey can kick our ass and not get in trouble (well at least here)

Tags
high, school