Calendar Awards Forum Leaders List Members List FAQ
Advertisement

$ LinkBack Thread Tools

#1 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 02:39 PM
baka.
View Posts: 8,433
Wow. First news link I have ever done. Yay!

I was browsing for an article about AOL I saw yesterday and saw one about AOL cutting jobs, A AOL Techician sending spammers 1000 or so email adresses. Heres the link I favored. Its about new software. If this topic has already been made, excuse me.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6694425/

WHAT WAS AOL THINKING?????? Discuss.
I mean not letting users on the day? That like not walking your dog or feeding it! Maybe AOL wants to commit suicide!!! .
  #2 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 03:05 PM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,853
Re: Wow. First news link I have ever done. Yay!

AOL's management is a group of morons.
Quote:
The browser's core will be Microsoft Corp.'s market-dominant Internet Explorer. Though AOL financed an organization behind a competing browser called Firefox, Pearce-Parkins said the company stuck with IE so users won't have to make "a leap of faith."
Point proven.
Quote:
But most importantly for the company, the browser will incorporate several ways to drive traffic to AOL programming and products, increasing ad opportunities.
Like they didn't fill my computer with enough ads already. I have AIM, and that gives me popups when I view somebody's buddy profile.
  #3 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 03:34 PM
trinest.com
Steam ID: trinest
View Posts: 2,453

Quote:
AOL got its start as a dial-up Internet service provider, connecting millions of first-time users with software that had to be installed on computers and often made some serious modifications to the operating system.
AOL was nether good...
  #4 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 03:38 PM
baka.

AIM is the only AOL program I use. I have the free version so no popups for me! But I mean I thought that PC was low!!!!
  #5 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 03:51 PM
trinest.com

AOL shouldnt be cutting jobs thay should be imploying more poeple
  #6 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 04:05 PM
I wish I could vomit blood on you... people
View Posts: 2,045

i have aol they aint that bad ya know their internet browser looks nicer than most but still....and theyre a lot better than tiscalli....This doesnt mean i like them! its just if they started making people happy instead of money they would be good....oh well next year...we will get another browser...w00t
  #7 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 04:12 PM
trinest.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by master K
i have aol they aint that bad ya know their internet browser looks nicer than most but still....and theyre a lot better than tiscalli....This doesnt mean i like them! its just if they started making people happy instead of money they would be good....oh well next year...we will get another browser...w00t
Your hyped other a browser... 0_o
  #8 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 04:30 PM
baka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by master K
Your aware that AOL cut 750 jobs right? You should quit AOL while you have the chance now. They are trying the be revived with their new 'free' Virus Protection Software.
  #9 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Light Spirit
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason
Steam ID: GoldenChaos Wii U ID: GoldenChaos 3DS ID: GoldenChaos

View Posts: 9,807

Quote:
The browser's core will be Microsoft Corp.'s market-dominant Internet Explorer. Though AOL financed an organization behind a competing browser called Firefox, Pearce-Parkins said the company stuck with IE so users won't have to make "a leap of faith."
Good. Stay away from Firefox. Forever. I don't want it stained by AOL hands O_o... but they are welcome to take IE, bunch of morons.

Quote:
The AOL Browser will also have tools to thwart e-mail scams known as phishing and to index and search files on the user's computer.
I sure wish I could search for files on my computer! If only I had the AOL Browser. Is it just me, or are they getting more moronic by the moment?

I have a feeling that the 750 jobs they cut were the last smart people working for AOL.
  #10 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 05:07 PM
trinest.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Kara
They are trying the be revived with their new 'free' Virus Protection Software.
I wonder why its 'free' maybe it puts Viruses on your computer
  #11 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-22-2004, 07:25 PM
<3 EA
View Posts: 3,578

lmao, perhaps it does.
I am glad they area taking IE, not Firefox. The only thing from AOL I have is AIM which it runs good and doesn't bother me at all.

But seriously, they are crazy. It's really end of the world.
First their ****ty computers and now the Internet Browser.

[Sig and Avy by EA]
  #12 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Skyloftian
Send a message via AIM to Reamia
View Posts: 757

I have AOL... and it's not bad. Why does everyone hate it so much? I didn't catch most of what was going on in the article (read: I have no idea what FireFox and IE are), but strictly from my viewpoint from using the software since I was young, AOL works, and there's nothing wrong with it. It has an IM capability built in with a Web Browser, as well as any music you feel like listening to. So what's its problem?
  #13 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Link is hanging from my pamp qwitch!

View Posts: 13,410

IE is internet explorer, the standard microsoft web explorer that comes on pc's. the article sux because it means that aol is trying to make their own browser and pc that is compatible with aol. basically, they are capitolizing on people's ignorance that if it's from some major company, it is necessary or better to have. when in actuality, it's better to have a comp with separate programs. more versatility, and more control over what happens to your comp, ie: spyware, organizing files how you want them, running programs. it takes a bit of know how, and isn't always easy, but it's "healthier" for your computer to have that control.
  #14 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2004, 03:25 PM
baka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamia
I have AOL... and it's not bad. Why does everyone hate it so much? I didn't catch most of what was going on in the article (read: I have no idea what FireFox and IE are), but strictly from my viewpoint from using the software since I was young, AOL works, and there's nothing wrong with it. It has an IM capability built in with a Web Browser, as well as any music you feel like listening to. So what's its problem?
The problem is, Its ****ty, way over priced, it cut 750 jobs, Its Dial Up. And In the Article it says the can refuse all internet connections, and stupid.
  #15 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2004, 04:06 PM
~DEATH TO AMERICA~
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
View Posts: 4,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamia
You're joking, right?

I had AOL for a 1 year free trial offer, and it was terrible. It was slow, incompatable with a bunch of web forms, constantly downloading crap onto my PC, bragging about "spyware and adware" protection, when in fact AOL was putting tons of crap on my PC I didn't want. The built in instant messaging is utter crap, along with every other included "feature" it has.
  #16 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Sage of Wisdom
Send a message via AIM to Alexander
View Posts: 1,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by capncornflake
You're joking, right?

I had AOL for a 1 year free trial offer, and it was terrible. It was slow, incompatable with a bunch of web forms, constantly downloading crap onto my PC, bragging about "spyware and adware" protection, when in fact AOL was putting tons of crap on my PC I didn't want. The built in instant messaging is utter crap, along with every other included "feature" it has.
When I had AOL it was the same thing for me. When one of my parents called to cancle it they would offer another month free but eventually my parents got sick of it
  #17 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Skyloftian
Send a message via AIM to Reamia
View Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Kara
The problem is, Its ****ty, way over priced, it cut 750 jobs, Its Dial Up. And In the Article it says the can refuse all internet connections, and stupid.
I'm not aware of its price, as my parents pay for it, and I never bothered to look. While the cutting of jobs is obviously not good, it doesn't really affect me, so since I'm only looking at it from my own experience, the job cutting doesn't change my opinion of the software itself (and sometimes the cutting of jobs is necessary). It isn't dial up for me; I think we have OptimumOnline. And it hasn't refused my family's connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncornflake
You're joking, right?

No, I'm not joking. For me, AOL has been fast (but then again, we have an up-to-date computer and a cable modem). It has only refused sites that I had on parental controls, which was only when I was significantly younger. It only downloaded stuff when I prompted it to do so, and sure, it may advertise the spyware and adware protection, but it doesn't affect anything, really. It has protected the computer from getting filled with it, anyway. I will say that AIM is better than AOL's built in Instant Messaging, but one must keep in mind that the "A" of AIM stands for AOL.
  #18 (permalink)   [ ]
Old 12-23-2004, 08:36 PM
baka.

Yea. And AIM has caused my computer to crash 5 times total.

Tags
link, news, wow, yay